Anyone else cringe at the way rock press and guitar magazines suck up to Slash?

Slash is not a songwriter per se but a collaborator. If you are saying that the parts Slash provides for his post-Guns projects are inferior to the ones he provided for Guns, then you are clearly wrong. The problem with Slash is, not the parts he delivers. Anastasia is a near-masterpiece. Beggars and Hangers On has a riff Joe Perry would be proud of. Even in the cheesiest, most lyrically bad, Slash dross, his riffs and solos are always good-excellent standard. The problem with Slash is, who he collaborates, with. Kennedy is talented but he is no Rose or Stradlin. Same with Dover and Jackson.

No I was saying he's basically the same as UYI. I think on AFD it's not as apperent. But UYI and Contraband I see the similarities.

I think on WoF and AL it's more about the guitar work, he's having fun. The songs aren't that important. He's gets to indulge his playing just a little more.

I'd be interested in a instrumental album from Slash. Like Satrianis Live in San Francisco. If he played The Godfather theme, Safari Inn, watch This and even songs with extended solos.

I still don't think Annatasia is classic epic like Estranged. Repeating a Russian chicks name over and over again...there just not enough mind paid to the lyrics and what the song is about. Listen to Stairway to Heaven or You Can't Always Get what you want.

Slash just needs a songwriter and a singer. I just can't think who they are. Their names escape me.

I'm honestly more bothered by the way the "rock press"/medias present Dave Grohl and to some extent Jack White as some kinds of saviours of rock n'roll. Trying hard is a component of rock n'roll, but trying too hard is embarassing. Jack White "rockier than thou" attitude during the whole It Might Get Loud movie was freaking grating. He sounds so fake trying so hard to be "authentic". Pretentious as hell.

As for Slash's treatment in the media, well, the guy hasn't played that good before in his life. Yeah the music he made with GN'R will never be topped, but it was far from his sole doing, as we all know. Being sober and probably having a more stable life greatly benefited him as a musician. I'm not such a big fan of his recent output, but as a live performer, he kills it. He deserves all the praise he can get, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Edge was out of place, it should have been Billy Corgan (especially when there was a lot of patting themselves on the back going on). Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top being the third, Billy also had that Hendrix "blessing" and the power trio lineup as well as the Delta Blues going on, and could keep up with both of those dudes. The only thing Edge and Jimmy would have any tie-ins would have to do with guitar electronics and studio tricks, and with Jack White, the building a guitar they had both done, in Edge's case it was poverty-driven and the help of his electronics-savvy brother.

I'm not the biggest fan of his work with The Conspirators but I watched one of the live videos of Anastasia you good people post in the Slash-tour thread and it blew me away. Trying hunting for live versions of Anastasia and then trying me that Slash is inferior to, his heyday?

it's simple : Slash has a style, he has a unique touch and feeling. He's an extremely talented guitarist. His solo and post-gnr stuff may be less interesting than AFD and UYI but who could top it anyway except Gnr themselves? He plays always good music

People always say Buckethead is better, Bumblefoot is far better, blah blah... but they don't understand. Buckethead is great, sure, but as far as you want rock n roll guitar you don't need that kind of guitar style. I see everywhere that there are far better guitarists than Slash, but what do they create if they are so good?

First, it is not so true... if I remember well, for instance, according to Marc Canter, Slash can play very fast and technical. But Slash is not interested in pure shred. Second, in rock what is important is the feeling you put inside the music. When you hear Slash solos, they have this feeling (nightrain, you could be mine and so many others).

Now what is lacking to Slash the most is Izzy, someone who can create nice rhythm guitar and compose good songs

Edited by nico_france

I agree with most of what the original poster is saying. I studied music at the college level, and I remember my guitar instructor commenting how Slash was the most famous top-hat in the industry.

As far as musical knowledge and musicianship goes, my teacher, and many others, can play circles around Slash. He has a marketable image to rock fans.

I've noticed this for a long time now, despite Slash's solo output becoming steadily more bland and derivative with every passing release, he seems to get a free pass from the likes of Classic Rock and pretty much any and every guitar magazine. Every album always receives glowing reviews (and yet they always seem to talk about how much stronger the new record is compared to its predecessor, despite having talked about how great that album was at the time).

Granted, Slash being a media-darling is hardly a new thing.... and I guess Slash has a lot of guitar endorsements so it just makes good business sense to keep someone who has literally become the walking embodiment of the term "guitar God" in your good graces. But it's just so read-through when you see these magazines including his latest turgid, cookie-cutter, cock-rock in their annual best-of lists....

Maybe,just maybe they think his output is actually good and they don't base their opinion on whether they like Axl or not or whether it's a good business decision to praise Slash. You express your opinion on Slash's albums as though you speak the truth and present it as a fact. Guess your facts are fucking wrong. Funny how you won't see threads like this about the press giving CD great reviews. Nope you won't, only threads that say the reviews speak the truth.

I agree with Apollo. This is clearly a cupcake thread.

And if you truly believe that there are no politics involved in the music press then you really are very naïve.

Gee and I wonder if any of these politics had anything to do with the positive reviews CD got? cause you know in my personal fact CD is a shitty fucking album so which is it? Your thread fails on so many levels man.

I agree with most of what the original poster is saying. I studied music at the college level, and I remember my guitar instructor commenting how Slash was the most famous top-hat in the industry.

As far as musical knowledge and musicianship goes, my teacher, and many others, can play circles around Slash. He has a marketable image to rock fans.

Congrats to all those nobodies. I look forward to their new albums and seeing them on tour...oh wait. The notion that Slash is just marketable and that's what he owes his success to is fucking asinine.

• Like 1

I've noticed this for a long time now, despite Slash's solo output becoming steadily more bland and derivative with every passing release, he seems to get a free pass from the likes of Classic Rock and pretty much any and every guitar magazine. Every album always receives glowing reviews (and yet they always seem to talk about how much stronger the new record is compared to its predecessor, despite having talked about how great that album was at the time).

Granted, Slash being a media-darling is hardly a new thing.... and I guess Slash has a lot of guitar endorsements so it just makes good business sense to keep someone who has literally become the walking embodiment of the term "guitar God" in your good graces. But it's just so read-through when you see these magazines including his latest turgid, cookie-cutter, cock-rock in their annual best-of lists....

Maybe,just maybe they think his output is actually good and they don't base their opinion on whether they like Axl or not or whether it's a good business decision to praise Slash. You express your opinion on Slash's albums as though you speak the truth and present it as a fact. Guess your facts are fucking wrong. Funny how you won't see threads like this about the press giving CD great reviews. Nope you won't, only threads that say the reviews speak the truth.

And if you truly believe that there are no politics involved in the music press then you really are very naïve.

Gee and I wonder if any of these politics had anything to do with the positive reviews CD got? cause you know in my personal fact CD is a shitty fucking album so which is it? Your thread fails on so many levels man.

Well your point is kind of moot, considering no publication in their right mind would base a review of Chinese Democracy on the premise of securing an exclusive interview from Axl Rose. Slash on the other hand is a very marketable figure and has continuously positioned himself as such and this image is used to sell rock/guitar magazines. There is a definite bias from these magazines towards Slash and it is blatantly a case of mutual back-scratching, Slssh gets to plug his new band and his new record, the magazine gets to use his image to shift numbers.

And to further prove my point, if you step outside the realm of these rock/guitar magazines and look at the reviews Slash's album got from the general music press such as The Independent, Rolling Stone, USA Today, Uncut, The Guardian, Q... they either ranked it lowly or didn't bother reviewing it at all, indicating a heavy bias from the rock press and a more level-headed indifference from general music press, who don't stand to gain from sucking up to Slash.

You say I present my opinion as fact, but my opinion is backed by the critics also. I actually recall CD getting quite a few positive reviews from critics and I'm not just talking about dinosaur publications like Classic Rock or teen rags like Kerrang and Metal Hammer. If you check out Metacritic, you'll see that Chinese Democracy ranks higher than all of Slash's solo records. Whose facts are fucking wrong now?

Music reviews are supposed to be biased towards the reputation of the writer and on behalf of the readers. Of course people are going to debate with the critic or critics. I think Lester Bangs or Richard Melzer said they didn't even listen to some of the music reviewed. Jann Wenner personally gave a Yoko Ono album...5 stars. A Mick Jagger solo album...5 stars.

The interviews Slash does for the guitar magazines are usually centered around equipment and the making of the album, some "back in the day" stories, but they're usually filler to pad the interview.

His albums aren't "huge sellers", he had that all star singer album that fell flat on its ass on the charts even with "bona fide pop star" appearances, but WOF did get a lot of favorable reviews and recommendations, and most of those reviews are pitting it up against other rock albums that are out there.

Well your point is kind of moot, considering no publication in their right mind would base a review of Chinese Democracy on the premise of securing an exclusive interview from Axl Rose. Slash on the other hand is a very marketable figure and has continuously positioned himself as such and this image is used to sell rock/guitar magazines. There is a definite bias from these magazines towards Slash and it is blatantly a case of mutual back-scratching, Slssh gets to plug his new band and his new record, the magazine gets to use his image to shift numbers.

And to further prove my point, if you step outside the realm of these rock/guitar magazines and look at the reviews Slash's album got from the general music press such as The Independent, Rolling Stone, USA Today, Uncut, The Guardian, Q... they either ranked it lowly or didn't bother reviewing it at all, indicating a heavy bias from the rock press and a more level-headed indifference from general music press, who don't stand to gain from sucking up to Slash.

You say I present my opinion as fact, but my opinion is backed by the critics also. I actually recall CD getting quite a few positive reviews from critics and I'm not just talking about dinosaur publications like Classic Rock or teen rags like Kerrang and Metal Hammer. If you check out Metacritic, you'll see that Chinese Democracy ranks higher than all of Slash's solo records. Whose facts are fucking wrong now?

Oh there it is. CD had better reviews than Slash and the only reason Slash gets good reviews is because he's marketable. CD got better reviews based solely on the music. LOCK THIS THREAD. The motive here is painfully obvious. nothing more than a typical cupcake thread. Love how you exposed yourself.

Can your teacher write original music? Could your teacher cope with performing under such conditions. Waiting back stage for hours on end never knowing if and when the lead singer might show? all the while hearing the audience outside becoming more and more pissed off. Having read the book by Duff, it was this that really got to him. He (Duff) was drinking, drinking and drinking to shut himself off from all that side of things, then having to do drugs to cope with the drinking, then back to drinking.

Edited by star

Can your teacher write original music? Could your teacher cope with performing under such conditions. Waiting back stage for hours on end never knowing if and when the lead singer might show? all the while hearing the audience outside becoming more and more pissed off. Having read the book by Duff, it was this that really got to him. He was drinking, drinking and drinking to shut himself off from all that side of things, then having to do drugs to cope with the drinking, then back to drinking.

Axl made Slash a junkie :(

No one has come along to pick up the guitar hero torch since Slash.

He's the last of his kind.

So, it doesn't really matter that his solo albums are lackluster. There just isn't anyone else who is a guitar icon the way that Slash is.

And, he's managed to keep a "cool" look. Remember how Eric Clapton suddenly turned up looking like a high school principal in the 90s? That's never happened to Slash.

This. Everyone in my family knows who Slash is. My dad and I are fans of rock music but we'd both struggle to name post-Slash "guitar heroes". Like EvH said, I don't see Jack White as in the same league as Slash, Clapton, Hendrix, etc. My sister and I know who Matt Bellamy is, but my dad wouldn't recognise his face or name.

Also, Classic Rock makes good money from the album + magazine special edition deals, so of course they're gonna sing his praises. For the first time, though, I regret not buying the one for World on Fire. I didn't preorder it since I thought the last 2 albums were just OK, but I love World on Fire.

The readership for Classic Rock is, well, for fans of classic rock. Slash is the most recent face they can slap on the cover and still sell to older readers like my dad and younger readers like me. Rock hasn't been the dominant genre of music for decades. Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation cracked a joke when Guitar Hero III came out about how desperate they were for name guitarists other than Slash that they included Tom Morello. I like Morello, but no way does he have the recognition and broad appeal of Slash.

Congrats to all those nobodies. I look forward to their new albums and seeing them on tour...oh wait. The notion that Slash is just marketable and that's what he owes his success to is fucking asinine.

There are many other greater, nameless, faceless, better musicians, better guitar players, that don't have the same popularity as Slash. Slash is a marketable image. There are many other great musicians, who are better guitar players, that have not achieved the same success as Slash.

Can your teacher write original music? Could your teacher cope with performing under such conditions. Waiting back stage for hours on end never knowing if and when the lead singer might show? all the while hearing the audience outside becoming more and more pissed off. Having read the book by Duff, it was this that really got to him. He (Duff) was drinking, drinking and drinking to shut himself off from all that side of things, then having to do drugs to cope with the drinking, then back to drinking.

Yes, original music with complex harmonies. Remember these guys are teaching at the college level. AS far as musicianship goes, there are much greater guitar players than Slash.

Music teachers tend to dislike guitarists like Slash. I guess it has to do with envy. Slash barely studied music theory and still managed to become a great player (besides rich and famous). I could name at least 100 guitar players who are technically better than Slash. Naming one who wrote something better than the Estranged guitar parts would be a lot harder though.

• Like 2

Music teachers tend to dislike guitarists like Slash. I guess it has to do with envy. Slash barely studied music theory and still managed to become a great player (besides rich and famous). I could name at least 100 guitar players who are technically better than Slash. Naming one who wrote something better than the Estranged guitar parts would be a lot harder though.

Great music has been written throughout history. To say no one has ever written anything better than the Estranged guitar parts is absurd.