The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

when i drink beer ( oh damn i sound like that commercial! ) which is rare these days i drink imports. one of the things i picked up from the horrid ex. Oranjeboom is probably my favorite, Grolsch is great too and comes with the added benefit that you can use that ceramic top as a roach holder! :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wow you brew beer too? you're a talented guy :)

I can see how it might sound that way, but no. :blink:

But thats kind of you to say.  Yarrow ale is super easy!  Foraging the yarrow is the only difficult part.  

yarrow + wheat dry malt extract + water + ale yeast.  It calls for mostly yarrow flower with much less yarrow leaves.  But nature provides the opposite ratio so i thought I could get lazy.  Using more leaves then flowers left it tasting very botanical and a bit astringent.  So, its easy and I botched it!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soon said:

I can see how it might sound that way, but no. :blink:

But thats kind of you to say.  Yarrow ale is super easy!  Foraging the yarrow is the only difficult part.  

yarrow + wheat dry malt extract + water + ale yeast.  It calls for mostly yarrow flower with much less yarrow leaves.  But nature provides the opposite ratio so i thought I could get lazy.  Using more leaves then flowers left it tasting very botanical and a bit astringent.  So, its easy and I botched it!!

i am sure your next batch will be delicious :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Well i'm not that great of a cook so I guess I can bring the (store bought) wine lol.

That would be perfect so that we dont need to drink my Yarrow ale

Im sure you are a great cook.  Bring something form your garden too :headbang:

I really like wheat beer, I find it refreshing. 

13 minutes ago, soon said:

That would be perfect so that we dont need to drink my Yarrow ale

lol. :lol: But speaking of the yarrow flowers, can you use dried? Not sure where you live but if there's a (real) herbal store they usually carry yarrow flowers as they have good medicinal properties..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

In the summer I drink raspberry wheat beer all the time, it's ridiculously good.

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

when i drink beer ( oh damn i sound like that commercial! ) which is rare these days i drink imports. one of the things i picked up from the horrid ex. Oranjeboom is probably my favorite, Grolsch is great too and comes with the added benefit that you can use that ceramic top as a roach holder! :P

Grolsch is the main import beer I'll drink. But mostly I stick to 1 or 2 local breweries, why drink imports when Canadian beer is good stuff? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

In the summer I drink raspberry wheat beer all the time, it's ridiculously good.

Grolsch is the main import beer I'll drink. But mostly I stick to 1 or 2 local breweries, why drink imports when Canadian beer is good stuff? :lol:

like Moosehead? i think that is the only one from there i have had and it was not good tasting to me. in Sac there was a local brewery that made good beer til they were bought out by a big corporation :/

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

like Moosehead? i think that is the only one from there i have had and it was not good tasting to me. in Sac there was a local brewery that made good beer til they were bought out by a big corporation :/

I mostly drink Phillips. Dead Frog, Granville Island and Vancouver Island Breweries are all good too, and of course then there's Alexander Keith's, Sleeman, etc.

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

ohhhh, there's a raspberry one?? I'll be sure to keep my eye out for that! 

61b9cbd012d4916ea99c1fd0afcad772.jpg

If you see it, buy it!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

lol. :lol: But speaking of the yarrow flowers, can you use dried? Not sure where you live but if there's a (real) herbal store they usually carry yarrow flowers as they have good medicinal properties..

Thats a good question.  I have no idea.  I think it might be the oils that flavour - which is the case with hops.  And oils might be lost in drying.  However, maybe I can!  I make a cider that replaces apple juice with brewed tea.  Thanks for the idea!

KLB - Kawartha Lakes Brewey Raspberry Wheat is delicious!

Its brewed by Amsterdam Brewery in Toronto.  Interesting to note that Amsterdam also has a raspberry wheat for 3 x the price of the KLB.  They taste identical.  They are identical.

Canada craft beer is doing amazing things right now!  I still do imports as well, sometimes to save money - Dab, Faxe, etc - only to inevitably spend those savings on the unbelievably expensive imported sours and stuff by monks.

7 minutes ago, soon said:

KLB - Kawartha Lakes Brewey Raspberry Wheat is delicious!

Its brewed by Amsterdam Brewery in Toronto.  Interesting to note that Amsterdam also has a raspberry wheat for 3 x the price of the KLB.  They taste identical.  They are identical.

:lol:

Canada craft beer is doing amazing things right now!  I still do imports as well, sometimes to save money - Dab, Faxe, etc - only to inevitably spend those savings on the unbelievably expensive imported sours and stuff by monks.

Agree about the Canadian craft beers but I'm not a fan of sour beers. Vancouver Island Brewery's blackberry saison is the only sour-ish beer I like.

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

good choice! ;)

worst beer hands down in my opinion is Keystone. never even gave me a buzz :lol:

You would rather drink Milwaukee's Best over Keystone?

Ever have Keystone Ice?

I was in the Dominican Republic a few years ago and it surprised me how much the locals drink it. It's as commercial as Bud Light. 

Just now, arnold layne said:

You would rather drink Milwaukee's Best over Keystone?

Ever have Keystone Ice?

I was in the Dominican Republic a few years ago and it surprised me how much the locals drink it. It's as commercial as Bud Light. 

never had Milwaukees best. like i said i prefer imports but when i was young and poor i bought a case of Keystone and i was ike really???? is there even alcohol in this crap? never had Keystone Ice, that one time with regular Keystone traumatized me :P

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

:lol:

Agree about the Canadian craft beers but I'm not a fan of sour beers. Vancouver Island Brewery's blackberry saison is the only sour-ish beer I like.

For me the more a sour has notes of smelly-sock the happier I am - and I get that's disgusting :P 

Ive had the Blackberry Saison!  I like it too.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

For being a bunch of drunks, the state of Wisconsin makes some pretty bad beer.

I picked up Lost Lake. It tasted like spoiled apple juice. 

Boxer Light was a college favorite. $14.99 for 36 cans. Sounds good in theory, but it's okay not to be economical with beer. 

But your cheese, and even sausage more than makes up for it and pairs perfectly with all our beers!

Theres a show in Canada Called Dragons Den.  Its like the US show Shark Tank.  Basically they are venture capitalism as a sport.

The reason I raise this is because one of the investors on Dragons Den made their fortune co-counding Boxer.

But I've never seen it in Canada.  Always been curious about it.  I guess now I dont have to be as curious!

Edited by soon
spelled your as "You're" my apologies for accidentally saying you are cheese!