The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

This just about sums it up for me...

Thats some fascist bullshit, he did a crime, he did the time, according to our way of life that we float across the world imposing on other people that means hes a free man now right? What, he should be banned from making his living now?

Thats some fascist bullshit, he did a crime, he did the time, according to our way of life that we float across the world imposing on other people that means hes a free man now right? What, he should be banned from making his living now?

Boxing has a licensing board. You need to have a license to fight on the pro circuit and, by the terms and conditions of the board's foundation, Mayweather could and should be stripped of his license. That's like saying it's "fascist" to want to take away a truck driver's driving license based on laws that require revocation. I don't think he should be blackballed from all opportunities to make money, but I do think the boxing licensing board is a historically flawed organization.

Now that said, I don't purport to say that everyone must necessarily boycott this fight. But when you look at the amount of money that Floyd stands to make, win or lose, I have no interest in supporting him. You may make your own decisions.

Boxing has a licensing board. You need to have a license to fight on the pro circuit and, by the terms and conditions of the board's foundation, Mayweather could and should be stripped of his license. That's like saying it's "fascist" to want to take away a truck driver's driving license based on laws that require revocation. I don't think he should be blackballed from all opportunities to make money, but I do think the boxing licensing board is a historically flawed organization.

Now that said, I don't purport to say that everyone must necessarily boycott this fight. But when you look at the amount of money that Floyd stands to make, win or lose, I have no interest in supporting him. You may make your own decisions.

If you were gonna start banning boxers on the basis of criminal shit and refusing a lisence then you'd have to ban 90% of fighters. You dont get fighters out of your middle class types, thats why lisencing authorities are the way they are. If they werent malleable you wouldnt have no fighters.

Its just bullshit new age hyperbole, theres people with murder convictions for crying out loud. Sonny Liston beat up coppers, robbed stores and was a Mafia enforcer...and he was heavyweight champ.

Its all to do with the fact that 'he hit a woman, he hit a woman!'. I mean its out of order and everything but the way they make out these days that these people should be ostracised from society is just ridiculous.

Also, hes a fighter, has been since a baby, thats how he makes a living, without it hes got nothing.

I dont condone that shit but i also feel thats its not my business to support or condemn, im a fight fan, i like fights, the participants and their personal lives are kinda none of my business.

Can I just say, I think it's freaking ridiculous that the wresteling thread has over 100 pages and the boxing thread is almost to 60. Just goes to show the amount of straight up wankers that populate this forum. Honestly I don't know how so called "adults" can watch such fake and staged "sports".

Don't get me wrong, I used to love wresteling back in the days of Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, and Macho Man. But I was also 10. I honestly haven't given a rat's ass about that "sport" since I was 16 maybe 17 years old. But we have 23 and 24 year olds posting daily updates in that thread, is a little dissappointing IMO.

I didn't post this in that thread, because id rather not start a flame war, but come on. Does anyone else see the issue here? Grown ass men watching a show for 12 year olds, as we prepare for the biggest real fight of the last decade.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 2

Can I just say, I think it's freaking ridiculous that the wresteling thread has over 100 pages and the boxing thread is almost to 60. Just goes to show the amount of straight up wankers that populate this forum. Honestly I don't know how so called "adults" can watch such fake and staged "sports".

Don't get me wrong, I used to love wresteling back in the days of Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, and Macho Man. But I was also 10. I honestly haven't given a rat's ass about that "sport" since I was 16 maybe 17 years old. But we have 23 and 24 year olds posting daily updates in that thread, is a little dissappointing IMO.

I didn't post this in that thread, because id rather not start a flame war, but come on. Does anyone else see the issue here? Grown ass men watching a show for 12 year olds, as we prepare for the biggest real fight of the last decade.

This argument is totally ridiculous. Are adults who enjoy the Marvel movies also idiots? What about Saving Private Ryan, I mean how could anyone really believe that Tom Hanks and Matt Damon were in World War II?

Wrestling is scripted, but it is by no means fake. Those guys are real athletes, and they do real athletic things. Are the outcomes scripted? Yeah. But just because you know you need to throw the 300 pound guy doesn't make lifting him and throwing him any easier.

You prefer boxing. Fine. Other people prefer fictional action to the unscripted sport of boxing. That's fine too. Calm your ass down. :)

• Like 2

This argument is totally ridiculous. Are adults who enjoy the Marvel movies also idiots? What about Saving Private Ryan, I mean how could anyone really believe that Tom Hanks and Matt Damon were in World War II?

Wrestling is scripted, but it is by no means fake. Those guys are real athletes, and they do real athletic things. Are the outcomes scripted? Yeah. But just because you know you need to throw the 300 pound guy doesn't make lifting him and throwing him any easier.

You prefer boxing. Fine. Other people prefer fictional action to the unscripted sport of boxing. That's fine too. Calm your ass down. :)

Go back to your thread, and kindly stay out of this one. Thank you. ?

Go back to your thread, and kindly stay out of this one. Thank you.

I mean, don't ask the question if you don't want an answer. You asked why the wrestling thread has more replies than the boxing one, and the answer is that wrestling is more generally entertaining. It has better storylines, because there is a creative team writing them. It has better characters, because there is a creative team designing them. It has more chemistry between the characters, because the professionals acting the stories through are equal parts athlete and actor. The WWE has two network broadcasts a week and one pay-per-view a month, any boxing fight worth watching is on PPV once and its over. Boxing is a sport, wrestling is a TV show, and TV shows get more viewers than your average sport. That's the answer to your question, and your tone was immature and dismissive.

And that's all I have to say, really. Not sure why you asked the question just to say "stay out" when you got your answer, but I'll gladly stay out.

I mean, don't ask the question if you don't want an answer. You asked why the wrestling thread has more replies than the boxing one, and the answer is that wrestling is more generally entertaining. It has better storylines, because there is a creative team writing them. It has better characters, because there is a creative team designing them. It has more chemistry between the characters, because the professionals acting the stories through are equal parts athlete and actor. The WWE has two network broadcasts a week and one pay-per-view a month, any boxing fight worth watching is on PPV once and its over. Boxing is a sport, wrestling is a TV show, and TV shows get more viewers than your average sport. That's the answer to your question, and your tone was immature and dismissive.

And that's all I have to say, really. Not sure why you asked the question just to say "stay out" when you got your answer, but I'll gladly stay out.

Mikeys manner might've been a bit coarse (unlike me :lol:) but what hes saying is just basically that wrestling is...a bit of fluff really, not a serious sport and kind of silly. Shit, most wrestling fans would agree so hes not ever so wrong, is he?

• Like 1

I watched 30 minutes of Wrestlemania about two weeks ago because I was bored one night and there was no sport on. If you look at a typical wrestling crowd it is white trash hell, baseball caps, black Metallica and Kiss shirts, no brain cells. These people are married to their sister and live in caravans. The commentators are perhaps the most annoying people ever, that Texan with the slanty mouth. The acting during the storylines is worse than Byker Grove. It is truly awful. It is perhaps the worst example of American culture, big, crass, commercial and false.

Mikeys manner might've been a bit coarse (unlike me :lol:) but what hes saying is just basically that wrestling is...a bit of fluff really, not a serious sport and kind of silly. Shit, most wrestling fans would agree so hes not ever so wrong, is he?

I mean yeah, I think anyone who watches wrestling and believes it's real are idiots. But I think most wrestling fans watch it as a TV show more than a sport (although I will admit that I watch it for both - because again, the athletic prowess that the wrestlers display is very real). People don't "root" for wrestlers in the same way they root for sports teams; when I watch with a group of friends, we spend the whole time talking about the scripting of the match, who we think the company will have win, how, why, where the story will go from there, etc. It's not the same as sports by a long shot. And that's exactly why it makes perfect sense that a wrestling thread has more posts than a boxing thread. Sports are less popular than conventional television, and wrestling is a merger of the two: athletes acting out scripted storylines.

And for what it's worth, boxing is also a bit of fluff. As is every other sport. Commercialized entertainment is just that: entertainment, a distraction that keeps us thinking about something other than work, obligations, mortality, etc. It's just fluff that's a bit more likely to give its participants debilitating brain diseases than most.

I mean yeah, I think anyone who watches wrestling and believes it's real are idiots. But I think most wrestling fans watch it as a TV show more than a sport (although I will admit that I watch it for both - because again, the athletic prowess that the wrestlers display is very real). People don't "root" for wrestlers in the same way they root for sports teams; when I watch with a group of friends, we spend the whole time talking about the scripting of the match, who we think the company will have win, how, why, where the story will go from there, etc. It's not the same as sports by a long shot. And that's exactly why it makes perfect sense that a wrestling thread has more posts than a boxing thread. Sports are less popular than conventional television, and wrestling is a merger of the two: athletes acting out scripted storylines.

I wouldn't criticise the skill it takes to do it, shit, i couldn't.

And for what it's worth, boxing is also a bit of fluff. As is every other sport. Commercialized entertainment is just that: entertainment, a distraction that keeps us thinking about something other than work, obligations, mortality, etc. It's just fluff that's a bit more likely to give its participants debilitating brain diseases than most.

Is that true though? Or is that an old leftists party line that saves from having to think without any depth about the instances at hand? Thats become like a go-to statement by people that don't like thinking for themselves, thats 'anaesthesia for the masses' stuff. By that rationale, all human endeavour that isn't 100% functional is devoid of value except to assist people in not thinking about propositions of greater depth.

The value of these things is in how they enrich your life, not keep your mind off the fact that it might be over in a minute.

I watched 30 minutes of Wrestlemania about two weeks ago because I was bored one night and there was no sport on. If you look at a typical wrestling crowd it is white trash hell, baseball caps, black Metallica and Kiss shirts, no brain cells. These people are married to their sister and live in caravans. The commentators are perhaps the most annoying people ever, that Texan with the slanty mouth. The acting during the storylines is worse than Byker Grove. It is truly awful. It is perhaps the worst example of American culture, big, crass, commercial and false.

I'd like to know your take on the video i posted up there.

Is that true though? Or is that an old leftists party line that saves from having to think without any depth about the instances at hand? Thats become like a go-to statement by people that don't like thinking for themselves, thats 'anaesthesia for the masses' stuff. By that rationale, all human endeavour that isn't 100% functional is devoid of value except to assist people in not thinking about propositions of greater depth.

The value of these things is in how they enrich your life, not keep your mind off the fact that it might be over in a minute.

I absolutely 100 percent agree with you. I am not in any way saying that entertainment is bad for those reasons. I'm just saying that to call one form of entertainment "fluff" and another something else isn't quite fair. The fact that it's entertainment for entertainment's sake doesn't make it devoid of value. If all the WWE ever accomplished is putting John Cena in a position to be the Make-A-Wish Foundation's single most prolific contributor, that is far more than enough for me. And if all boxing ever did was inspire one kid somewhere to pursue a dream, same thing. All I meant is that they're both entertainment, and I'm not sure that boxing is any less "fluff" than the WWE.

• Like 1

I absolutely 100 percent agree with you. I am not in any way saying that entertainment is bad for those reasons. I'm just saying that to call one form of entertainment "fluff" and another something else isn't quite fair. The fact that it's entertainment for entertainment's sake doesn't make it devoid of value. If all the WWE ever accomplished is putting John Cena in a position to be the Make-A-Wish Foundation's single most prolific contributor, that is far more than enough for me. And if all boxing ever did was inspire one kid somewhere to pursue a dream, same thing. All I meant is that they're both entertainment, and I'm not sure that boxing is any less "fluff" than the WWE.

If i was pushed to answer i would say that it is because boxing speaks to something primordal in the human experience. It's almost like Darwinism in action. There's something about the struggle between two human beings, within the confines of a craft, using their wits, their reflexes and most importantly, their brains to overcome their opponent.

If you were to study boxing, it is like a science, it's about angles, it's about desicion making, it's about spatial awareness, it's about forging yourself in a supreme act of will into a kind of being other than what you are by nature...or perhaps realising the full extent of the possibilities of your nature (and there was me having a go at you for spieling up there :lol:).

And the very fact that it IS real, and these people are really risking their lives (which i suppose F1 folks are, WWF folks are, just ask Owen Hart, poor guy) and your leaning on your wits to avoid this, it's really something spectacular.

There's a human drama element too but not in terms of storylines and all that stuff but in terms of a real drama being played out in front of you. And it's not for the faint hearted too, all this arty farty shit I'm spouting is all well and good but it's a helluva thing to watch a man get beat down by fists. It shines a light on sides of the human experience that, really and truly, shouldn't exist in a civilised world, and on the level the curiosity around it is endless, not just in terms of the fighters but the audience too.

There's something obscene about boxing too, that doesn't escape me either, morally speaking. But most of all what draws me in is the craft. I haven't seen a sport with as much craft to it as boxing, every fighter is like a riddle for his opponent to work out, timing, the ability to assess and measure the most minutest of human behaviour, the heightened awareness, being able to predict four, five, six movements ahead of time, make provisions for them and your counter-attack, all in fractions of seconds, the idea that if you pull back you have to go far back a certain degree to avoid a shot but not so far back so you lose balance and you're well position to counter and at a very very VERY specific point of your opponent adjusting of his posture that works in fractions of seconds.

These things you do not find in wrestling...and thats just me reeling shit off of the top of my head with little cohesion about what, i think, or what some may potentially think, puts boxing ahead of wrestling in terms of have a greater value to the human experience. I think.

The flipside of that is i believe boxing is more evil than wrestling, potentially. It'd be interesting to have a discussion about what these sports do to it's participants...and how they leave them.

One is real, one is fake. Nothing more to debate really....

No one is debating that point, so that's not a debate. I would rather watch Rocky than real boxing any day.
Ok??

By your standards then all fictional athletic programs are better than the real things then? So The Mighty Ducks is better than real hockey? Remember the Titans is better than real football? And just to piss off my UK friends here (?) Bend it like Beckham is better than real soccer?

I get where you are coming from, you love the scripted aspects of it, which is all fine and dandy. But you have to compare apples to apples, the WWE is basically the same as all boxing movies, not the real thing. Which of that's the case, then yes I'll take Rocky Balboa over the Macho Man all day. But when compared to real boxing, you would have to use real Olympic style wrestling, not the WWE.

I realize I made this comparison, not you, so you are just defending what you love, which is admirable. In sorry for insulting your love, we are all entitled to our own passions. I was more commenting on the ages, as opposed to the actual "sport" or tv show, whatever you want to call it. Which I have to ask, how old are you? I just feel, or should I say "felt" that wrastlin' has an experation date. That's why I said I haven't watched a single episode since I was 16, "maybe" 17. I grew up, got interested in vaginas and what not. (which I'm not implying anything towards you). At what point does the exploits of old Vinnie McMahon start to seem childish to you? Here he goes again, just like he did to Stone Cold back in 1997. Its just a constant rehash is it not? Honestly what brings you back, week after week? It honestly can't be the big fight for the title, because as you agree, its staged. So what's left, the drama? Lets be honest here, an academy award winner John Cena is not...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

No one is debating that point, so that's not a debate. I would rather watch Rocky than real boxing any day.
Ok??

By your standards then all fictional athletic programs are better than the real things then? So The Mighty Ducks is better than real hockey? Remember the Titans is better than real football? And just to piss off my UK friends here (?) Bend it like Beckham is better than real soccer?

I get where you are coming from, you love the scripted aspects of it, which is all fine and dandy. But you have to compare apples to apples, the WWE is basically the same as all boxing movies, not the real thing. Which of that's the case, then yes I'll take Rocky Balboa over the Macho Man all day. But when compared to real boxing, you would have to use real Olympic style wrestling, not the WWE.

I realize I made this comparison, not you, so you are just defending what you love, which is admirable. In sorry for insulting your love, we are all entitled to our own passions. I was more commenting on the ages, as opposed to the actual "sport" or tv show, whatever you want to call it. Which I have to ask, how old are you? I just feel, or should I say "felt" that wrastlin' has an experation date. That's why I said I haven't watched a single episode since I was 16, "maybe" 17. I grew up, got interested in vaginas and what not. (which I'm not implying anything towards you). At what point does the exploits of old Vinnie McMahon start to seem childish to you? Here he goes again, just like he did to Stone Cold back in 1997. Its just a constant rehash is it not? Honestly what brings you back, week after week? It honestly can't be the big fight for the title, because as you agree, its staged. So what's left, the drama? Lets be honest here, an academy award winner John Cena is not...

By the same token, whens the grow up date meant to be? In defence of axlslashes point me and my friends sit around stoned watching fat ladies fall through basement trapdoors and 'eat da poo poo' pastors and piss our pants laughing, by the maturity rationale i need to grow up too :lol:

My brother watches it sometimes, hes 34 but he takes the piss out of it, finds the storylines funny as well as amusing himself watching big fuckers throw each other about, its not really meant to be taken seriously as a sport cuz it isnt one.

Edited by Len B'stard

Ok??

By your standards then all fictional athletic programs are better than the real things then? So The Mighty Ducks is better than real hockey? Remember the Titans is better than real football? And just to piss off my UK friends here () Bend it like Beckham is better than real soccer?

I wouldn't say that I "love it," I've watched one show in its entirety since high school. But "it's fake, so it's dumb and for kids" argument is grating, condescending, and logically invalid unless you also think that any other fictional movie or TV show is also dumb because it's fake. I don't think you have to choose between "growing up" and enjoying fictional entertainment, so the idea that it's somehow inherrently inferior for its "fakeness" is just silly to me. That's all.

I hated Tom Hanks in that movie.

I don't think he pulls off a hero type character very well.

Funny guy, romantic dad or dude stuck on an island - yes. But war hero? Naw.