Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

The Royal Rumble is going to be a disaster again in Jan. I bet they haven't learned from 2015/2014.

Would not be fucking shocked if the whole reason Bryan isn't back is them thinking it'll harm Reigns or thinking wait till Feb.

It's one mess after another. Even a full time Lesnar couldn't save this.

After Reigns wins the title either next month or in Jan, I bet his first fucking defense is against Big Show.

It's one mess after another. Even a full time Lesnar couldn't save this.

Guys like Lesnar (or Rock for that matter) definitely put asses in seats. But it doesn't help their structural booking problem. What they SHOULD have done for the past few years is consistently build young guys so they'd have 10 people who could all be credible champions right now. And guys like Bryan, Rollins, Ambrose, Ziggler, Wyatt, Cesaro, Owens and MAYBE Reigns or Harper should all be in that position. And they all could have been. But they're not. Due to piss-poor booking and writing. In the meantime Show and Kane shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the top of any card for a couple of years. And the if you'd book the Diva's like they do on NXT, you'd have an actual diva's revolutions instead of just keeping your commentators call it that. It's just incredibly poor on all fronts. Bluh. WWE right now just annoys me.

Foley's latest facebook post:

GETTING CLOSE
I'm going to quote an article from July, 2014, called "The Sad Case Of Zack Ryder" in which I wrote: "Eventually, people get tired of finding out that the WWE Superstars they have supported with their cheers, their signs, their purchases, their follows, and their likes aren't real Superstars - and, little by little, those fans lose interest in WWE, find other interests, and become former WWE fans."
I am one of those people on the verge of becoming a former WWE fan. I'm tired of being told through Raw, Smackdown and PPV's that WWE superstars I have rooted for - from Ziggler to Cesaro to Kevin Owens aren't top stars - no matter how strongly crowd reaction seems to disagree. I'm tired of NXT stars getting their big "break" in WWE, just to be treated like jokes.
Six months ago, my son and I traveled 12 hours – from Eastern Tennessee to Orlando, Florida to watch Sasha Banks wrestle Becky Lynch at #NXTTakeover.- One of the greatest women's matches of all time. Last night, in what I believe was their first singles match on #RAW Sasha and Becky were given four minutes. At a time when WWE desperately needs to make new stars – when they need to give wrestlers with talent the opportunity to break through – they gave Sasha and Becky four minutes. I turned the channel, and watched a pretty good football game instead. I think I can get used to watching football games on Monday night again.
I will be watching RAW this Monday. Maybe, as is often the case in relationships, they will give me just enough to remind me why I love wrestling - just enough to keep me coming back. Maybe they will even give Sasha and Becky a rematch – and a legitimate chance to show the world what they can do. .
There is an old saying in politics : as Ohio goes, so goes the nation. Think of me as the Ohio of wrestling fans. If I leave, it's not just one disgruntled former fan; finding something else to do on Monday nights. Instead, losing a long-time, die-hard fan like me might well be an indication of a larger exodus from WWE. I guess we'll see what tale the ratings tell.
I want to stay. I really do. So please WWE - next week on WWE Raw... Just give me a reason.

Let me know what YOU think. Oh yeah, #SockTuesday is one week away!

https://www.facebook.com/RealMickFoley/photos/a.150133228350157.28288.126269440736536/1180989355264534/?type=3&theater

I can't say I watched between 2007-2011 when it was happening, but this whole current decline really started when they moved Raw to three hours. They have to stretch Raw so thin and have absolutely everyone appear that there's absolutely zero reason to watch Smackdown, and they've ended up with two lesser shows as a result. Not to mention they're still doing Superstars for some reason.

Oh 2007 was bad or so it seemed at the time. Those fucking non-stop Cena/Orton matches. They couldn't even do 2 hour shows properly and I've blocked ECW out of mind. Still better than this.

Then again I thought 2002/3 was bad with the brand split and Triple H's fucking reign of doom. Being legit injured, but refusing to drop the title and doing the famous burials. Yet 2007 was worse.

I remember years ago with friends talking about how wrestling went down the drain after Wrestlemania X7 when they turned Austin into a Seth Rollins type pussy heel (okay at least Austin won matches and was fucking Austin afterall) for several months and WWF feuded with WCW's jobbers (AKA the invasion). What fools we were, that was fantastic compared to this.

Some of us were just spoiled, there was genuinely a period of a few years up until Wrestlemania X7 were WWF just got better year after year. I'd take Naked Mideon and Rikishi's silly "did it for the rock storyline" over the current product any day of the week if we still got those exciting PPV's each month.

Didn't watch pre-Attitude era, didn't have Sky.

It's almost impossible to pick the best year, as they've never done near perfect calendar year. People sprinkle gold over the Attitude Era so much, but a lot of people ignore that for every great Stone Cold moment you had to watch through so very much shit. The closest things I can think of to consistently brilliant runs nearing a year are Backlash 2000 to Wrestlemania X-Seven, and Summerslam 2002 to Wrestlemania XIX (mostly on the Smackdown side of things).

It's almost impossible to pick the best year, as they've never done near perfect calendar year. People sprinkle gold over the Attitude Era so much, but a lot of people ignore that for every great Stone Cold moment you had to watch through so very much shit. The closest things I can think of to consistently brilliant runs nearing a year are Backlash 2000 to Wrestlemania X-Seven, and Summerslam 2002 to Wrestlemania XIX (mostly on the Smackdown side of things).

I remember watching Backlash 2000 on channel 4 way back when. I can still remember the noise the crowd made when Austin turned up. The same can said for Undertaker's run in during Judgement Day 2000.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004

Haven't watched wrestling much at all between 2008 and 2014. I guess getting the network back in January of this year has helped with that. Still amazes me that I can watch wrestlemania 17 over and over and not get tired of it. That was wrestling prime IMO. My first memories of wrestling was around late 2000 into 2001. 2002 looked promising with the bigger players from wcw coming in along with Shawn Michaels returning. Too bad Trips kinda buried most of that.

Just watched first episode of Lucha Underground. Never cared for or was a fan of John Morrison but that main event with him was awesome. So weird to actually hear commentators call a damn match. Different show and style but I definitely like it.

• Like 1

Haven't watched wrestling much at all between 2008 and 2014. I guess getting the network back in January of this year has helped with that. Still amazes me that I can watch wrestlemania 17 over and over and not get tired of it. That was wrestling prime IMO. My first memories of wrestling was around late 2000 into 2001. 2002 looked promising with the bigger players from wcw coming in along with Shawn Michaels returning. Too bad Trips kinda buried most of that.

Just watched first episode of Lucha Underground. Never cared for or was a fan of John Morrison but that main event with him was awesome. So weird to actually hear commentators call a damn match. Different show and style but I definitely like it.

Oh 2007 was bad or so it seemed at the time. Those fucking non-stop Cena/Orton matches. They couldn't even do 2 hour shows properly and I've blocked ECW out of mind. Still better than this.

Then again I thought 2002/3 was bad with the brand split and Triple H's fucking reign of doom. Being legit injured, but refusing to drop the title and doing the famous burials. Yet 2007 was worse.

I remember years ago with friends talking about how wrestling went down the drain after Wrestlemania X7 when they turned Austin into a Seth Rollins type pussy heel (okay at least Austin won matches and was fucking Austin afterall) for several months and WWF feuded with WCW's jobbers (AKA the invasion). What fools we were, that was fantastic compared to this.

Some of us were just spoiled, there was genuinely a period of a few years up until Wrestlemania X7 were WWF just got better year after year. I'd take Naked Mideon and Rikishi's silly "did it for the rock storyline" over the current product any day of the week if we still got those exciting PPV's each month.

Didn't watch pre-Attitude era, didn't have Sky.

pre attitude era was similar to this era, lots of talent but they were stuck in shitty characters and storylines.

I remember watching Backlash 2000 on channel 4 way back when. I can still remember the noise the crowd made when Austin turned up. The same can said for Undertaker's run in during Judgement Day 2000.

Anyone remember how many PPV's channel 4 actually aired? I remember Royal Rumble, but their was outrage supposedly over the May Young thing. Blacklash wasn't completely live, it had adverts :(. Stil awesome PPV.

Did Channel 4 air any PPV's after that? I know they aired Sunday NIght on Sunday afternoon's on T4 or whatever back then.

The joy back then of getting every PPV for free since it aired at 1:AM, except the genric UK only PPV's which weren't even treated as cannon where nothing ever happened.

Anyone remember how many PPV's channel 4 actually aired? I remember Royal Rumble, but their was outrage supposedly over the May Young thing. Blacklash wasn't completely live, it had adverts :(. Stil awesome PPV.

Did Channel 4 air any PPV's after that? I know they aired Sunday NIght on Sunday afternoon's on T4 or whatever back then.

The joy back then of getting every PPV for free since it aired at 1:AM, except the genric UK only PPV's which weren't even treated as cannon where nothing ever happened.

I remember Channel 5 having WCW if I recall. I'm sure I watched a few on Channel 4, but distinctly remember recording No Way Out 2001 on a VHS off Sky Sports because someone left the TV on mute, so I had to turn it right up to the top to hear anything, and it was mostly hissing. Little ol' me watching Austin and Haitch beat the unholy shit out of each other, was glorious. I remember getting a bootleg of Wrestlemania X-Seven the next day, but I've also no idea how else I could've seen it so quickly because Sky tended to put the big ones on Box Office.

90% sure X-7 was on Sky Sports. It wasn't until the mid 2000's when they put PPV's on Box Office more often. Used to just be the UK PPV's that we didn't really care about anyway. Then it became random PPV's, then it was the Summerslams/Rumbles ect. much later on. Anyway I stopped getting PPV's regularly around the mid Cena era.

Channel 5 WCW aired for like an hour on Friday night's? It was either 6-7 or 7-8 I think. I remember them editing chair shots ect. with comic book cut out words.

27a3f0f532e6e91dc3b1413e278293b0.jpg

It was really silly.

Also remember Channel 5 airing tame softcore erotic thrillers late Friday nights back then :P.

Edited by AtariLegend

The Royal Rumble is going to be a disaster again in Jan. I bet they haven't learned from 2015/2014.

I think they're taking the attitude of, they will tell fans what to like. And they won't stop now until they agree.

If they go sub-2.0 which is getting closer, they'll change their tune.

Wrestlemania season normally bails them out though, we'll see.

I think they're taking the attitude of, they will tell fans what to like. And they won't stop now until they agree.

If they go sub-2.0 which is getting closer, they'll change their tune.

Wrestlemania season normally bails them out though, we'll see.

That's the cycle isn't it? everybody comes back just before mania to catch up on the feuds and tunes in to the event, and maybe for a few weeks/months afterward.

They should just forgive and reinstate Hogan and boost ratings. I want Hogan, The Rock, Austin, HBK, EVERYONE at Wrestlemania. Obviously in Texas Austin and HBK will be there doing soemthing.

Nah. That's what they do every year. It's getting pathetic. I'm all for a nice nostalgia moment here and there. But they way WWE needs all the oldtimers to have some drawing power year after year is getting a little pathetic. Don't get me wrong. They can be there and all. But if 50% of your tv time are oldtimers you're doing something wrong.

They should just forgive and reinstate Hogan and boost ratings. I want Hogan, The Rock, Austin, HBK, EVERYONE at Wrestlemania. Obviously in Texas Austin and HBK will be there doing soemthing.

Nah. That's what they do every year. It's getting pathetic. I'm all for a nice nostalgia moment here and there. But they way WWE needs all the oldtimers to have some drawing power year after year is getting a little pathetic. Don't get me wrong. They can be there and all. But if 50% of your tv time are oldtimers you're doing something wrong.

Fuck you! :lol: I am going to Wrestlemania this year and will in all liklihood NEVER go again so. I dont give a shit about RAW I just want them all at Wrestlemania especially since it will probably be Takers last match.

• Like 2

it's funny how basically the only bad 2000 ppv was wrestlemania

Fuck you! :lol: I am going to Wrestlemania this year and will in all liklihood NEVER go again so. I dont give a shit about RAW I just want them all at Wrestlemania especially since it will probably be Takers last match.

you are gonna wet yourself when you hear that glass breaking :D

:lol:

Fine, I'll respect your selfish opinion. :P

you are gonna wet yourself when you hear that glass breaking :D

Probably. Also HBK is my favorite of all time so that will be cool but honestly even though I've never been a HUGE taker fan I'm looking forward to the toll of the bell. It's gonna be wild.