Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

I didn't think the ending was that interesting, but it's certainly what Reigns should've been doing for the last year or two anyway. Otherwise, the Ladder match was great with a couple of brilliant moments (everyone watch Kalisto's spot right now), and I thought that Del Rio vs Swagger was much better than it had any right to be.

Stephanie was really overselling the beating. It's not like Triple H took worse of a beating than he did during most of his matches this decade :P.

As for the "record" reign of Ambrose? Didn't he hardly ever deffend the title?

I wish they were going in a different direction with the title, but I can't see Reigns not winning tonight. I'd assume Sheamus rematch at the Rumble.

What the fuck was that Adam Rose segment?

Cole just said it's "Roman Reign's era".

Edited by AtariLegend

Stephanie was really overselling the beating. It's not like Triple H took worse of a beating than he did during most of his matches this decade :P.

As for the "record" reign of Ambrose? Didn't he hardly ever deffend the title?

I wish they were going in a different direction with the title, but I can't see Reigns not winning tonight. I'd assume Sheamus rematch at the Rumble.

What the fuck was that Adam Rose segment?

Cole just said it's "Roman Reign's era".

they also showed reigns being booked to go on sportscenter tomorrow..... when he potentially could be fired :facepalm:

What the hell is WWE coming to

I'm actually excited for Cena to come back

Much as I hate his character, like the top 5 matches I can think of have involved Cena in the last 10 years. Owens, Lesnar, Punk. All fucking amazing.

I find his most recent run (basically, his US title reign) a bit overrated. Every match was the exact same predictable formula. Sure, some of the stuff his opponents pulled out was cool, but it got really stale seeing Rollins hit quintuple 360 degree superdragon frog splash suplexes only for Cena to kick out at 2.1, roll out and immediately hit the AA and win.

Just skimmed through Raw. The Vince/Roman/Sheamus segment was interesting. Vince was great, he really needs to bring his character back to TV. I also think that's the first time he's been a full-on heel on TV in years. Sheamus was also great. Reigns? Not so much. His two lines sounded like they were being read off a teleprompter.

• Like 1

So now that the "Roman Reigns's Era" has begun. Anyone really think he'll be main eventing, selling out stadiums all over the world and in every other main event during the 3 hour Raws/PPVs for the next decade?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to PPV's headlined by Reigns vs. Show, Reigns vs. Kane in 2020.

I'm still not convinced that the only reason Bryan isn't on TV is they're afraid the crowd will boo Reigns if Bryan doesn't win the Rumble.

Edited by AtariLegend

What the hell is WWE coming to

I'm actually excited for Cena to come back

Much as I hate his character, like the top 5 matches I can think of have involved Cena in the last 10 years. Owens, Lesnar, Punk. All fucking amazing.

I find his most recent run (basically, his US title reign) a bit overrated. Every match was the exact same predictable formula. Sure, some of the stuff his opponents pulled out was cool, but it got really stale seeing Rollins hit quintuple 360 degree superdragon frog splash suplexes only for Cena to kick out at 2.1, roll out and immediately hit the AA and win.

It kinda made the ADR kick to the head seem like a really shallow way to finally keep him down for 3.

Shawn Michaels 3 November 9, 1997 - Montreal, QC Survivor Series

Stone Cold Steve Austin 1 March 29, 1998 - Boston, MA WrestleMania XIV

Kane 1 June 28, 1998 - Pittsburgh, PA King of the Ring

Stone Cold Steve Austin 2 June 29, 1998 - Cleveland, OH Raw Is War

Vacated — September 27, 1998 - Hamilton, ON Breakdown: In Your House

The Rock 1 November 15, 1998 - St. Louis, MO Survivor Series

Mankind 1 December 29, 1998 - Worcester, MA Raw Is War

The Rock 2 January 24, 1999 - Anaheim, CA Royal Rumble

Mankind 2 January 26, 1999 - Tucson, AZ Halftime Heat

The Rock 3 February 15, 1999 - Birmingham, AL Raw Is War

Stone Cold Steve Austin 3 March 28, 1999 - Philadelphia, PA WrestleMania XV

The Undertaker 3 May 23, 1999 - Kansas City, MO Over the Edge

Stone Cold Steve Austin 4 June 28, 1999 - Charlotte, NC Raw Is War

Mankind 3 August 22, 1999 - Minneapolis, MN SummerSlam

Triple H 1 August 23, 1999 - Ames, IA Raw Is War

Mr. McMahon 1 September 14, 1999 - Las Vegas, NV SmackDown!

Vacated — September 20, 1999 - Houston, TX Raw Is War

Triple H 2 September 26, 1999 - Charlotte, NC Unforgiven

Big Show 1 November 14, 1999 - Detroit, MI Survivor Series

Triple H 3 January 3, 2000 - Miami, FL Raw Is War

The Rock 4 April 30, 2000 - Washington, D.C. Backlash

Triple H 4 May 21, 2000 - Louisville, KY Judgment Day

The Rock 5 June 25, 2000 - Boston, MA King of the Ring

Kurt Angle 1 October 22, 2000 - Albany, NY No Mercy

The Rock 6 February 25, 2001 - Las Vegas, NV No Way Out

Stone Cold Steve Austin 5 April 1, 2001 - Houston, TX WrestleMania X-Seven

Kurt Angle 2 September 23, 2001 - Pittsburgh, PA Unforgiven

Stone Cold Steve Austin 6 October 8, 2001 - Indianapolis, IN Raw

After title unification;

Chris Jericho 1 December 9, 2001 - San Diego, CA Vengeance

Triple H 5 March 17, 2002 - Toronto, ON, Canada WrestleMania X8

Hollywood Hulk Hogan 6 April 21, 2002 - Kansas City, MO Backlash

The Undertaker 4 May 19, 2002 - Nashville, TN Judgment Day

*It was no longer refereed to the attitude era past this point and arguably ended a few months earlier.

Edited by AtariLegend

I was at No Mercy 2000 and Mania 18 from that list. Good times that unfortunately many of today's younger fans won't get to experience in person since WWE just isn't that exciting anymore. Not that everything in the Attitude Era was amazing but compared to today, it pretty much was.

I also am into many other companies but it seems like this is a WWE heavy thread with occasional ROH /TNA talk. Somebody out there likes the Bullet Club since I see their shirts at any Wrestling show I attend unless people are just wearing them to be cool though it isn't like they are mainstream like the original nWo.

I was at No Mercy 2000 and Mania 18 from that list. Good times that unfortunately many of today's younger fans won't get to experience in person since WWE just isn't that exciting anymore. Not that everything in the Attitude Era was amazing but compared to today, it pretty much was.

I also am into many other companies but it seems like this is a WWE heavy thread with occasional ROH /TNA talk. Somebody out there likes the Bullet Club since I see their shirts at any Wrestling show I attend unless people are just wearing them to be cool though it isn't like they are mainstream like the original nWo.

I am trying my best to fly the flag for Lucha Underground

Season 2 starts on the 27th of Jan, how amazing does it look?

An army of Pentagon Jrs! :wow:

Did Rey survive the tapping without getting injured?

The trailer apart from the guns looked cool :P.

I'm assuming Rey will have a non wrestling role, I think he was injured (what? Rey injured? surely not!) when they were taping. Perhaps he will only appear in backstage bits like Dragon Azteca did in season 1

EDIT: I mean in the sense that he was already injured before they started taping for season 2

Edited by sturginho

It's weird to say far less talented, because some of these guys can wrestle rings around guys like Austin(post neck break), and Foley, but they are booked horribly and scripted on the mic far too much.

I think they're more talented than ever in an athletic sense, but they've lost the art of story-telling- at least that's what I see in the 5 mins per year that I've watched over the past decade.

• Like 1

It's weird to say far less talented, because some of these guys can wrestle rings around guys like Austin(post neck break), and Foley, but they are booked horribly and scripted on the mic far too much.

I think they're more talented than ever in an athletic sense, but they've lost the art of story-telling- at least that's what I see in the 5 mins per year that I've watched over the past decade.

I think there's a lot of "just because it worked back then, doesn't mean it's gonna work today" mentality backstage. Especially since most of the writers are TV not wrestling people now.

Listening to the Ross Report and Russo trying to bury Owens. Probably the most ridiculous things I've heard the guy come out with. He goes on a long rant about it which Ross no sells and says "we can agree to disagree".

I saw the description reading that Russo would be reviewing TLC and instantly checked out.

He says small things that are wrong with wrestling that fans will point to and think "yeah he's right", but then he says the little things in between which make you realize he should never be given a job by a promotion again.

Wrestling should be all about the story-lines, when it moved toward all about the matches I lost interest and it all went downhill. He basically says that one point. This guy would turn Raw into Nitro 2000 if he had a job today, believe it or not that's actually worse than the dreadful/boring Raws we have now.

He'd probably book Stephanie McMachon to beat Brock Lesnar in a Hell in a Cell match one week and claim it was to pop ratting. Cena would turn heel and then face at least twice every month and every 2 or 3 weeks there'd be an on a pole match.

Edited by AtariLegend