SLASH Shoots Down Claim His Relationship With AXL ROSE Was Torn Over MICHAEL JACKSON Collaboration

Here's how this goes for those who want to skip ahead:

1. People claim Slash talked shit about Axl for years.

2. Others ask for evidence for such claims.

3. Request ignored and people say Slash has admitted talking lots of shit in the press.

4. Others repeat request, becoming tired with a now familiar dance.

5. Repeat 3 & 4 a number of times.

6. Someone steps in and posts like one or two things Slash said that weren't nice but also weren't that bad.

7. The others who requested evidence point out that Slash's comments weren't nice but weren't that bad, and that there's only like one or two examples from "years of bashing."

8. People ignore 7 and repeat 1 and 3.

9. Others grow tired and either give up or start making fun of people.

10. Debate dies out. Repeat in 2 weeks.

:D pretty much this

Some interesting comments from Slash back in the day:

On Gilby being fired:

"What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we were all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that rehearsal...It was never etched in stone, but it was etched in Axl's mind. I know there was no argument. Axl probably thought I was totally behind it. I went to talk to Gilby because I didn't want him to hear anything on the street. I told him what was going on, and everything was in a state of flux for a while."

On GN'R not planning Woodstock:

"Guns was supposed to play Woodstock, but we turned it down because I don't think Guns represents the generation that Woodstock represents. There's nothing about the '90s that relates to the '60s except maybe a couple of people running around trying to keep the fashion going. It seemed very commercial, so we bowed out."

-Kerrang, January '95.

3. Request ignored and people say Slash has admitted talking lots of shit in the press.

6. Someone steps in and posts like one or two things Slash said that weren't nice but also weren't that bad.

7. The others who requested evidence point out that Slash's comments weren't nice but weren't that bad, and that there's only like one or two examples from "years of bashing."

:lol:

Excellent list. Axl fans are a funny bunch.

WHEN WILL WE GET NEW MUSIC!?

:D pretty much this

Accept I'm right and the nightmare will end, a reunion will happen and we all get laid.

"Duff and I went to New York City to sit in on the mixing sessions with George Marino engineering and then Contraband was finished. I had my first drink in over a year that night. I remained pretty quiet about my feelings on the GN'R/Axl situation up until Duff and I did a promo tour supporting the release of Velvet Revolver's first CD. At that point, I hadn't gone public about what had transpired between Axl and me, and I hadn't planned on going there. But the media wanted to know my thoughts on the subject and in couldn't help it. I had nothing pleasant to say. It was as if they had touched a raw nerve, and suddenly everything that came out of my mouth was bitter and spitefulthe complete antithesis of how I wanted to react. When GN'R and I parted ways, I had honestly wanted to stay low-key and never bicker in the press, mostly because so many artists before me had gone that route and I thought it was distasteful. But here I was, put in a corner with press in every direction, hungrily looking for controversy and prodding that raw nerve. I couldn't control my responses. Everything I said about Axl was negative; it was almost emotional. This, of course, pissed off Axl and was definitely the catalyst for rant against me in his 2005 press release, not to mention complicating the GN'R lawsuit even further."

Chapter: "Coming up for air" - Slash autobiography

"Duff and I went to New York City to sit in on the mixing sessions with George Marino engineering and then Contraband was finished. I had my first drink in over a year that night. I remained pretty quiet about my feelings on the GN'R/Axl situation up until Duff and I did a promo tour supporting the release of Velvet Revolver's first CD. At that point, I hadn't gone public about what had transpired between Axl and me, and I hadn't planned on going there. But the media wanted to know my thoughts on the subject and in couldn't help it. I had nothing pleasant to say. It was as if they had touched a raw nerve, and suddenly everything that came out of my mouth was bitter and spitefulthe complete antithesis of how I wanted to react. When GN'R and I parted ways, I had honestly wanted to stay low-key and never bicker in the press, mostly because so many artists before me had gone that route and I thought it was distasteful. But here I was, put in a corner with press in every direction, hungrily looking for controversy and prodding that raw nerve. I couldn't control my responses. Everything I said about Axl was negative; it was almost emotional. This, of course, pissed off Axl and was definitely the catalyst for rant against me in his 2005 press release, not to mention complicating the GN'R lawsuit even further."

Chapter: "Coming up for air" - Slash autobiography

So your post is number 6.

Mine is number 7.

Anything more? 'Cause that's not "years of bashing".

Edited by Free Bird

I think you meant to add a step where the only reason Slash's comments come off as not that mean is that he uses a passive aggressive attitude to hurt Axl.

I wouldn't call it years of bashing either. But there's always been an undercurrent.

From Axl's pov Slash made it seem like Axl stole the band and they have maintained that position through VR and their books. Thats how they led the media. Axl disagrees, thinks its misleading etc.

I wouldn't call it years of bashing either. But there's always been an undercurrent.

From Axl's pov Slash made it seem like Axl stole the band and they have maintained that position through VR and their books. Thats how they led the media. Axl disagrees, thinks its misleading etc.

Slash just did what he was supposed to. It's important for him to look cool. I'd say get over it Axl, but I don't know what exactly went down. If it's tip of the iceberg, then the proper thing to do will be to wait until Axl tells his full side of the story, or as I'd like to call it the truth.

Slash just did what he was supposed to. It's important for him to look cool. I'd say get over it Axl, but I don't know what exactly went down. If it's tip of the iceberg, then the proper thing to do will be to wait until Axl tells his full side of the story, or as I'd like to call it the truth.

Are you really supposed to hear Axl speaking the truth? Axl lives in his own universe. If you'll hear something than it's just "Axl's truth". Just like we've heard "Slash's truth" before, which isn't so far away from Duff's truth. Edited by Free Bird

Are you really supposed to hear Axl speaking the truth? Axl lives in his own universe. If you'll hear something than just "Axl's truth". Just like we've heard "Slash's truth", which isn't so far away from Duff's truth.

I just want to hear Axl's side of the story. Didn't talk about it very much. Just set the stage dramatically for later when he's in the mood to get into it in more detail. Could take decades or not in this lifetime.

I don't think he thought Axl would be able to continue without him. Like he said blasphemy.

I don't think he thought Axl would be able to continue without him. Like he said blasphemy.

Of course not (imo) quitting Guns was a power move. My guess is he and Duff signed the name to Axl and Slash left thinking Axl will have no choice but to take him back after Axl realized there is no Guns without Slash. He thought wrong.

But I think he was truly hurt by Axl's actions as well. So he couldn't shut his mouth and what came out still had to look cool in the eyes of the media and the fans cause Slash plays the good guy that just wants to rock already.

Also: Slash probably meant a lot to Axl, and when super sensitive people get hurt by people that are important to them, it can get bitter. Axl doesn't forgive very often and he has a long memory too. (those facts are connected of course)

Edited by Rovim

Slash himself admitted in his book to have spoken lots of bad things about Axl in the press, only because he was holding it inside. Also admitted to have written lots of lyrics about Axl that were pretty negative.

I'm surprised the so-called Slash fans haven't read his book, which should be like the Bible for them.

Like Magisme has so brilliantly pointed out, this fuckology has gone on long enough as is boring.

You people have never been able to prove your point.

Sane people can point to insults from Izzy and Matt re: Axl that make Slash's gripes look tame.

The same people can point to actions & quotes from Axl that are pretty nasty.

That's called evidence.

You should try gathering some yourself but then I guess it would interfere with your emotionally charged investment in a fight between two prima-donnas that the world has mostly grown tired of and forgotten.

Edited by Intercourse

Are you really supposed to hear Axl speaking the truth? Axl lives in his own universe. If you'll hear something than just "Axl's truth". Just like we've heard "Slash's truth", which isn't so far away from Duff's truth.

I just want to hear Axl's side of the story. Didn't talk about it very much. Just set the stage dramatically for later when he's in the mood to get into it in more detail. Could take decades or not in this lifetime.

That's basically what I wanted to say. Slash's story isn't more right or wrong than Axl's story. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I think they believe what they're teling us. For them it's the truth. They don't lie. It's just everybody has different opinions and memorys of what had happened. Edited by Free Bird

If Slash thought that - for twenty odd years, he was right.
That's possibly why Axl didn't give up the name. Slash was making a power move or Ill show him type thing.

That's possibly why Axl didn't give up the name. Slash was making a power move or Ill show him type thing.

Slash had just as much to do with GNRs success as Axl so he'd every right to throw the same shapes - even if both men handled the whole thing very badly.

Some of the main reasons Guns failed back then was the lack of communication. So everybody had other point of views and other reasons for the break up. And while still there isn't any communication, the opinions didn't change.

Edited by Free Bird

That's basically what I wanted to say. Slash's story isn't more right or wrong than Axl's story. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
I think facts are established. It's just their interpretation after the fact. Slash leaves, he thinks he was forced out. Axl says that's not what happened.

I think Snakepit as GNR is unreasonable. So...

Slash had just as much to do with GNRs success as Axl so he'd every right to throw the same shapes - even if both men handled the whole thing very badly.
I don't think that's how Guns got big. Slash was compromising and bending over backwards to accommodate Axl to get big. I think throwing the same shapes as Axl is unwise. I think he'd be better off just playing guitar in GNR. Let Axl and Izzy write the songs and contribute.

I don't think that's how Guns got big. Slash was compromising and bending over backwards to accommodate Axl to get big. I think throwing the same shapes as Axl is unwise. I think he'd be better off just playing guitar in GNR. Let Axl and Izzy write the songs and contribute.

You know that's bullshit and not even possible. That's just down talking Slash's input in Guns

That's your take on what made the band big.

You obviously have chosen to ignore just how much his work moved the needle on the tunes the band wrote. NV without the solo at the end? SCOM without the opening riff and main solo?

Slash's guitar was as big a voice in GNR as Axl's.

Its why the man is playing to 10,000 a night in many countries two decades later - because people still want to see him play.

• Like 1