SLASH Shoots Down Claim His Relationship With AXL ROSE Was Torn Over MICHAEL JACKSON Collaboration

Have you guys forgotten about Appetite for Discussion? This should be a pretty comprehensive catalogue of everything any GN'R band member has ever said about Axl, sorted chronologically: http://www.a-4-d.com/t90-axl-rose

Well, of course it isn't complete yet, so any contributions (quotes with sources) would be greatly appreciated :)

That's actually a pretty cool site. I look forward to digging into it the next few days.

Maybe you aren't such a douche after all.

Let me know if you have any questions on how to navigate it, find your way around it. I'd be happy to help. It wasn't designed for morons.

Have you guys forgotten about Appetite for Discussion? This should be a pretty comprehensive catalogue of everything any GN'R band member has ever said about Axl, sorted chronologically: http://www.a-4-d.com/t90-axl-rose

Well, of course it isn't complete yet, so any contributions (quotes with sources) would be greatly appreciated :)

That's actually a pretty cool site. I look forward to digging into it the next few days.

Maybe you aren't such a douche after all.

Let me know if you have any questions on how to navigate it, find your way around it. I'd be happy to help. It wasn't designed for morons.

As long as you can tell me in a couple easy steps and not with a 15-paragraph lecture.

But great job, so far it looks great. There is a lot of information there.

Here's how this goes for those who want to skip ahead:

1. People claim Slash talked shit about Axl for years.

2. Others ask for evidence for such claims.

3. Request ignored and people say Slash has admitted talking lots of shit in the press.

4. Others repeat request, becoming tired with a now familiar dance.

5. Repeat 3 & 4 a number of times.

6. Someone steps in and posts like one or two things Slash said that weren't nice but also weren't that bad.

7. The others who requested evidence point out that Slash's comments weren't nice but weren't that bad, and that there's only like one or two examples from "years of bashing."

8. People ignore 7 and repeat 1 and 3. <----------- YOU ARE HERE

9. Others grow tired and either give up or start making fun of people.

10. Debate dies out. Repeat in 2 weeks.

• Like 2

"Axl thinks that Guns is his solo-project." (February 1995) http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3273
"Well, 'cause... You know, [Axl]'snot doing... At one point he said he was gonna a solo project, then he decided his soloproject he could do with Guns, which I was like, after doing all those videos and this and that and the other, I was like: "No". [laughs] No, I don't wanna get involved in any kind of Stephanie Seymour ballads or any of that shit. I took off and then he threatened to sue me, because he wanted the material back that I'd written and already recorded. (April 1995) http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3272
"Axl's whole trip was. 'Everybody used to go, "What's gonna happen when Guns is no longer.. when a new fad comes along?" or whatever. And I'd be, "I don't give a fuck". And I watched it happen, and it didn't matter to me. With Axl it mattered a hell of a lot. Next thing you know, he wants to be Pearl Jam, right? Why? I hate Pearl Jam anyway, so what's the point? And it's great to watch Pearl Jam going through what they're going through, cos I'm going, "See Axl?"
"We do what we do the best that anybody does. Let's just go out and do a club tour, a theatre tour, and fucking get back down to where we have some validity with an audience that we can relate to. But Axl was all fucking.. he wants to be on MTV, he wants to do Unplugged, he wants to be this, he wants to be that." (November 1995) http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3271
"I played Axl a demo with some of my ideas for songs, and all he said was: "I don't feel like playing this kind of music." I answered: "But this could be a excellent Gunner-record, hundred percent in GN'R style." He didn't really care 'cause he only wanted to play industrial and Pearl Jam-sounding crap....There were never any problems really about the stylistic direction of the band, untill Axl started disagreeing with the rest of us at one moment. It clearly became harder for us to be ourselves, as long as we were working together with him. Can you imagine how sick we were, suddenly having to play ballad-sets with songs like "Estranged", "November Rain", or "Don't Cry". Duff was the first of us who didn't feel like doing that anymore and the whole thing became an essential problem for the band, because we, accomplished musicians, needed to be changed just because of 'stylistic self-circumcision'. At a certain point it was just a war, because Axl didn't like anything anymore that came from us, the others". (March 2000) http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3274

"It wasn't a 'success kills' kind of story. It was just that what Axl had originally planned all along started to become something none of us knew about [laughs]. So when the tour was over, I looked at what was going on and I realized I felt very estranged. What bound us together was missing as we were missing a couple of guys. You just can't reinvent something like that. We tried to hang in there as long as possible, but Axl was going in a musical direction none of us could fathom. Eventually, it just wasn't fun for me, and I finally left. And consequently Duff left, and Matt got fired. Now Axl is doing Guns on his own." - June 2002, Guitar One Magazine

"I think Axl really took for granted how great the four of us - including Izzy - worked together, because it was hard for him to replace us. I just got so disillusioned with Guns that I even stopped being able to write for the band. That was in '95 when I started doing Snakepit. I remember Axl threatening to sue me because he thought that material should've been for GN'R I just didn't see Guns doing it so I slapped it all together for a solo record. But the stuff we're doing now, I've asked myself 'I wonder if Axl thinks this should've been his?' But when this comes out, it's going to be a lot better and sound a lot more together than he probably hoped it would be." - April 2004, Total Guitar

"None of us (Duff, Matt, himself) were hanging out what to do next. I was starting another band, I wasn't thinking about all that. But that vibe was hard for me to explain to you, that energy we got from just being in a room, especially all this time later, was so intense. Then we got up on stage and played, you know what, it's too awesome a chemistry, too awesome a sound, too unique a fuckin' thing to blow it off. And I'm not going to blow off fuckin' anything because of the fuckin' redhead." - July 2004, Guitarist

"I'm sure he's [Axl] is one of those guys who keeps himself buried in a computer all the time checking out what's going on with everyone. But it's not really here nor there what he thinks....When I left Guns, I was very resentful about some of the shit that another human being put me through. Then a few years later, people were saying, 'Oh, they'll get back together, like Aerosmith.' But it wasn't like that. The animosity was such that he'd have to go back and really change, and make me think there was something redeemable--Which I don't see happening. There was also a point where the big money offers started coming in. And I was like, 'You know what? Go talk to him! He might care about the money, but he's not going to right all the wrongs he's done. He's not even going to admit it, so until that happens I don't care if someone puts six million dollars in front of me. You go talk to him' And they all went over and never got any response, and I was like, "That's what I'm talking about."- Kerrang, August 2004

My laptop's right click stopped working so I can't copy and I can't edit my own posts on here so that's all I could find for now.

• Like 1

"That's (Axl buying the GN'R name) something that happened. I was blindsided by it, more or less a legal faux pas. I don't know what he's gonna do, as far as that goes. But I'd be lying to say I wasn't a little bit peeved. It'd be one thing if I quit altogether. But I haven't, and the fact that he can actually go and do that without the consent of the other members of the band."- January 31st, 1997 http://mygnr.com/news/1997/970131.html

"I went back to Guns for like 12 rehearsals on the forthcoming Guns N' Roses record to re-establish the band and where it was headed," Slash said. "And realistically from Use Your Illusion all the way up until now, Axl's been holding the reigns on taking it in his direction, and I just went, 'You know what? Fuck it then, you do it.' I would have suggested just do a solo record and let Guns do what it does naturally, but he insisted that Guns was his solo project anyway, so why did he have to do a solo project? So I just went, 'Fine, I'm gonna leave while the band's still cool, 'cause I don't know what you're gonna do with it.' - July 1997, http://mygnr.com/news/1997/970711.html
"I just wish the fucker would get the fuckin’ record out so I could see why he took something so cool and systematically, destroyed it. I want to hear where he was headed, and what he was trying to communicate that none of us in the band could relate to." - Kerrang, June 2000
"I left the band when it was still cool. I don’t have time to regret anything, life is too short and goes on, with or without Guns. I still have a lot of things left to prove. Actually, the only thing that bothers me is what our true fans think. The problem is that behind this facade, there was a strong tension. It was easy for me to plug my guitar and play. It wasn’t so simple for Axl. He was always fucking everything up. It had gotten to a point when we spent all our time fighting and we went backwards musically. I felt it coming, I already felt it during the recording of Use Your Illusion." Hard Rock Magazine, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=34
"[Axl]'s the closest person I’ve ever worked with that was as villainesque as they get. You know, in a sort of harmless kind of way, but not totally. All that is sort of self-explanatory as well. I definitely gotta put him on the list cos as much as I love the guy he’s definitely way up there. I don’t know how familiar you are with Guns history, but I quit the band five years ago and haven’t looked back since. Axl’s probably still in them, but I haven’t seem him. He’s just a really fucking huge mindfuck. He has a sweet side to him and a nasty side to him, if memory serves. He would be very, very violent and have very wicked thoughts and sore points. I guess I last saw him in an attorney’s office. I quit the group because of musical differences. I wanted to continue doing the hard rock thing, and he wanted to do techno-rock or something. We’re still to see the end result. I just do what I do because that’s what I like doing, but his thing seems to be a little more convoluted.", NME, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=36
"Everybody goes, 'Well, why didn't you take a percentage off the name? Or take part of the name, or whatever.' I'm not going to do a Guns N' Roses band without the band. And Axl wanted to do that. So I was like, 'Go ahead, see ya.' I think it's sort of dumb. I think one of the easier ways of looking at it would have been along the lines of what me and Izzy and Duff did. Obviously, we're not all playing together. Put together another name -- it's gonna draw attention based on the success of Guns anyway. If James Hetfield were to do a solo record, we'd all know about it, regardless of what it was called, it's James from Metallica. If Axl had fucking taken on another name, and just split his way and I went mine and so on and so forth, then Guns would have been sort of like, just, safe. Like Guns N' Roses was always there, and everybody just took off to do this that and the other, but the name wasn't tarnished. Now, the name's fucked up." - KNAC.com, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=35
"[Axl] was heading in one direction and I was heading in another.It was actually a slow progression from the days when we first made a record all the way up to the final record. When our last tour ended, he made it clear which way he wanted to go musically. I tried to hang on and stay with the band as long as I could, but there was definatly limitations. It just got to the point where we couldnt work together anymore....Axl is making the call for whatever his 3 percent of the band is worth. He's making the call these days. My life was just miserable then. I couldn't deal with it. So I just left. So when he wanted to use the name Guns N' Roses I said sure, I didn't want anything to do with it." May 2001, Steppin' Out Magazine http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=43

"What makes (Scott) different (from Axl) is that he’s cool to work with and a good friend. At the end of the day, that might be the most important thing. Duff, Izzy, Matt and I have remained friends throughout everything we’ve been through. Axl was just too high strung and unpredictable for that. He didn’t need anybody... at least in his mind. Scott is a total pleasure, especially in comparison to that." - February 2004, Hit Parader

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=94

The root of this is Axl doing the past-life regression therapy (which is quack bullshit) and somehow thinking from the therapy that he was raped as a child.

1. The rape in all likelihood never happened

2. Axl now has a rape-victim complex

3. He's also bipolar

Yeah if I'm Slash, I really don't know what to apologize for. Axl got taken advantage of by faith-healers and leaches. His inner circle is bleeding him dry, and he thinks that's his "family".

All in all, an unfortunate situation.

• Like 1

8. People ignore 7 and repeat 1 and 3.

A request was asked for stuff Slash has said. I gave stuff Slash said, not in one one off interview, but over the course of 1995-2004. So, no I didn't "repeat steps 2 and 3"

Slash Fans: Never Admit Slash is Wrong, Always Deflect.

Rule #2 to be a good Slash fan: "When presented with Slash saying stuff that might've pissed Axl off, downplay and say Axl is crazy."

Saying Slash is a cancer = Axl is an evil, wicked man.

Saying Axl is a villain = Slash is cool. Axl is a wicked man.

Who said Axl is evil or wicked? Who said Slash was cool for what he said? Do I need to add a step where people start making shit up?

You missed the step where reasonable people admit that what Slash said wasn't nice but point out that it wasn't really that bad either.

• Like 1

A request was asked for stuff Slash has said. I gave stuff Slash said, not in one one off interview, but over the course of 1995-2004. So, no I didn't "repeat steps 2 and 3"

Rule #2 to be a good Slash fan: "When presented with Slash saying stuff that might've pissed Axl off, downplay and say Axl is crazy."

Remember that question you asked me in the relationship thread?

Just read your post here, bub. Your post explains what I was saying.

You keep posting examples of things that NOBODY has ever said.

Please stick to actual facts and stop making up crap.

Remember that question you asked me in the relationship thread?

Just read your post here, bub. Your post explains what I was saying.

You keep posting examples of things that NOBODY has ever said.

Please stick to actual facts and stop making up crap.

Everyone on this site engages in hyperbole. I am also allowed to. I know you want me gone from here, but...I could if you want list tons of examples of hyperbolic posts from both sides. If I was on Slash's side, you would tolerate my posts.

Back on topic:

I don't think the MJ thing was the decisive factor in the break-up that Doug Goldstein makes it out to be. But it obviously for whatever reason pissed Axl off enough for it to have been remembered as a stand-out incident by Axl. Whether or not it factored in the break-up is up for debate of course...But I think it's obvious, even from Axl's own words, that he at the very least wasn't the happiest about Slash doing guest spots with people.

"That's (Axl buying the GN'R name) something that happened. I was blindsided by it, more or less a legal faux pas. I don't know what he's gonna do, as far as that goes. But I'd be lying to say I wasn't a little bit peeved. It'd be one thing if I quit altogether. But I haven't, and the fact that he can actually go and do that without the consent of the other members of the band."- January 31st, 1997 http://mygnr.com/news/1997/970131.html

"I went back to Guns for like 12 rehearsals on the forthcoming Guns N' Roses record to re-establish the band and where it was headed," Slash said. "And realistically from Use Your Illusion all the way up until now, Axl's been holding the reigns on taking it in his direction, and I just went, 'You know what? Fuck it then, you do it.' I would have suggested just do a solo record and let Guns do what it does naturally, but he insisted that Guns was his solo project anyway, so why did he have to do a solo project? So I just went, 'Fine, I'm gonna leave while the band's still cool, 'cause I don't know what you're gonna do with it.' - July 1997, http://mygnr.com/news/1997/970711.html

"I just wish the fucker would get the fuckin record out so I could see why he took something so cool and systematically, destroyed it. I want to hear where he was headed, and what he was trying to communicate that none of us in the band could relate to." - Kerrang, June 2000

"I left the band when it was still cool. I dont have time to regret anything, life is too short and goes on, with or without Guns. I still have a lot of things left to prove. Actually, the only thing that bothers me is what our true fans think. The problem is that behind this facade, there was a strong tension. It was easy for me to plug my guitar and play. It wasnt so simple for Axl. He was always fucking everything up. It had gotten to a point when we spent all our time fighting and we went backwards musically. I felt it coming, I already felt it during the recording of Use Your Illusion." Hard Rock Magazine, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=34

"[Axl]'s the closest person Ive ever worked with that was as villainesque as they get. You know, in a sort of harmless kind of way, but not totally. All that is sort of self-explanatory as well. I definitely gotta put him on the list cos as much as I love the guy hes definitely way up there. I dont know how familiar you are with Guns history, but I quit the band five years ago and havent looked back since. Axls probably still in them, but I havent seem him. Hes just a really fucking huge mindfuck. He has a sweet side to him and a nasty side to him, if memory serves. He would be very, very violent and have very wicked thoughts and sore points. I guess I last saw him in an attorneys office. I quit the group because of musical differences. I wanted to continue doing the hard rock thing, and he wanted to do techno-rock or something. Were still to see the end result. I just do what I do because thats what I like doing, but his thing seems to be a little more convoluted.", NME, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=36

"Everybody goes, 'Well, why didn't you take a percentage off the name? Or take part of the name, or whatever.' I'm not going to do a Guns N' Roses band without the band. And Axl wanted to do that. So I was like, 'Go ahead, see ya.' I think it's sort of dumb. I think one of the easier ways of looking at it would have been along the lines of what me and Izzy and Duff did. Obviously, we're not all playing together. Put together another name -- it's gonna draw attention based on the success of Guns anyway. If James Hetfield were to do a solo record, we'd all know about it, regardless of what it was called, it's James from Metallica. If Axl had fucking taken on another name, and just split his way and I went mine and so on and so forth, then Guns would have been sort of like, just, safe. Like Guns N' Roses was always there, and everybody just took off to do this that and the other, but the name wasn't tarnished. Now, the name's fucked up." - KNAC.com, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=35

"[Axl] was heading in one direction and I was heading in another.It was actually a slow progression from the days when we first made a record all the way up to the final record. When our last tour ended, he made it clear which way he wanted to go musically. I tried to hang on and stay with the band as long as I could, but there was definatly limitations. It just got to the point where we couldnt work together anymore....Axl is making the call for whatever his 3 percent of the band is worth. He's making the call these days. My life was just miserable then. I couldn't deal with it. So I just left. So when he wanted to use the name Guns N' Roses I said sure, I didn't want anything to do with it." May 2001, Steppin' Out Magazine http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=43

"What makes (Scott) different (from Axl) is that hes cool to work with and a good friend. At the end of the day, that might be the most important thing. Duff, Izzy, Matt and I have remained friends throughout everything weve been through. Axl was just too high strung and unpredictable for that. He didnt need anybody... at least in his mind. Scott is a total pleasure, especially in comparison to that." - February 2004, Hit Parader

All quotes you listed aren't nice things but still far away from insults.

Basically you can hear a guy talking whose feelings are hurt from all the bullshit he went through. Giving up something that big, something he helps create, something he was part of for many years and ruled the world with isn't just easy going.

It doesn't seem like he made anything up from the stuff he said. It seems to be his point of view and very reasonable for the break-up. Duffs story is similar and as long as Axl won't tell us his side of the story we haven't anything else to believe.

To me that's not bad mouthing. It's just his part of the story but you can hear some bitterness in it.

Edited by Free Bird

Dr Who, you're losing your time ... Slash fans never will admit their God said something against Axl. They agree with everything their lord ever told, so they can't see it as a bad thing.

Funny to see people losing perspective because of their blind love for an idol and accusing other people for doing the same shit they keep doing.

Thank God I'm outside of this feud, so I can double laugh :lol::lol:

"I just wish the fucker would get the fuckin record out so I could see why he took something so cool and systematically, destroyed it. I want to hear where he was headed, and what he was trying to communicate that none of us in the band could relate to." - Kerrang, June 2000

"I left the band when it was still cool. I dont have time to regret anything, life is too short and goes on, with or without Guns. I still have a lot of things left to prove. Actually, the only thing that bothers me is what our true fans think. The problem is that behind this facade, there was a strong tension. It was easy for me to plug my guitar and play. It wasnt so simple for Axl. He was always fucking everything up. It had gotten to a point when we spent all our time fighting and we went backwards musically. I felt it coming, I already felt it during the recording of Use Your Illusion." Hard Rock Magazine, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=34

"[Axl]'s the closest person Ive ever worked with that was as villainesque as they get. You know, in a sort of harmless kind of way, but not totally. All that is sort of self-explanatory as well. I definitely gotta put him on the list cos as much as I love the guy hes definitely way up there. I dont know how familiar you are with Guns history, but I quit the band five years ago and havent looked back since. Axls probably still in them, but I havent seem him. Hes just a really fucking huge mindfuck. He has a sweet side to him and a nasty side to him, if memory serves. He would be very, very violent and have very wicked thoughts and sore points. I guess I last saw him in an attorneys office. I quit the group because of musical differences. I wanted to continue doing the hard rock thing, and he wanted to do techno-rock or something. Were still to see the end result. I just do what I do because thats what I like doing, but his thing seems to be a little more convoluted.", NME, October 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=36

"What makes (Scott) different (from Axl) is that hes cool to work with and a good friend. At the end of the day, that might be the most important thing. Duff, Izzy, Matt and I have remained friends throughout everything weve been through. Axl was just too high strung and unpredictable for that. He didnt need anybody... at least in his mind. Scott is a total pleasure, especially in comparison to that." - February 2004, Hit Parader

All quotes you listed aren't nice things but still far away from insults.

Basically you can hear a guy talking whose feelings are hurt from all the bullshit he went through. Giving up something that big, something he helps create, something he was part of for many years and ruled the world with isn't just easy going.

It doesn't seem like he made anything up from the stuff he said. It seems to be his point of view and very reasonable for the break-up. Duffs story is similar and as long as Axl won't tell us his side of the story we haven't anything else to believe.

To me that's not bad mouthing. It's just his part of the story but you can hear some bitterness in it.

Saying Axl was the most villainous person he's worked with is pretty insulting, also, the whole comment comparing Scott and Axl and saying Scott's actually a friend and cool to work with was pretty shitty, considering what we now know went on behind the scenes with Scott.

Also, have to take into consideration that to Axl, these comments were probably really hurtful, and also considering that we now know a lot of what factored into the breakup was miscommunication and managers, he probably did feel Slash was out to paint him as the devil. Remember, at the time of these comments, Axl wasn't saying anything to the press, so it's not like Slash's comments were prompted by Axl saying anything about him.

I know some of the people who worked with Axl in this period - particularly in '95 to 2000 - compared Axl to a beaten dog, saying he seemed beaten down basically. From all accounts, he loved Slash (Marc has even said Axl spent a year trying to woo Slash back) and it's not that these comments were OBJECTIVELY all that bad--they weren't--but if you're in Axl's shoes, given how sensitive he is, they probably were, and it's comments like the ones Slash said there, and probably especially during the VR era, that made it so a reunion won't happen. Marc said as late as 2001 Axl was open to Slash appearing on CD.

• Like 2

Sane people can point to insults from Izzy and Matt re: Axl that make Slash's gripes look tame.

Are there any videos of Izzy saying shit about Axl? I can't seem to find any (though tbh I haven't really taken too much time to look)
Izzy doesn't do promo.

Honest question, why would any sane person want to sift through hours of video and magazine interviews looking for Slash bashing Axl when they can just take Slash's word that he did it? I mean, it's quite possible (and probable) that he was just lying to make himself look cool again; but it's much less time consuming to humor him. That's my only thought on the subject though because I know that no matter what either of them said that I'm much better at bashing both of them, so it doesn't matter to me and I'm not trying to argue one way or the other. Just curious.

• Like 3