ZAKK WYLDE Remembers Jamming With GUNS N' ROSES: 'It Was A Good Time'

Rdeyahlxp

Sources for the weak.

Axl's like: 'What about Zakk? You like Zakk, right?'" (Slash, Metal Express, 1995)

"He probably thought I'd like the idea because Zakk was a friend of mine and I respected him as a guitarist, but that really didn't seem like an answer to me. I brought up the option of rehiring Gilby, but that idea was flatly rejected... I wasn't sure what to expect from Zakk Wylde but I hoped for the best... Axl asked [him] to come down to rehearse with us." (Slash, Autobiography)"

"So we jammed together for just over a week. "we jammed over a whole bunch of shit and came out with three pretty cool ideas." (Zakk Wylde, Kerrang!, 01/28/95)

"[Zakk] brought energy and enthusiasm that was lacking within Guns at the time. 'We can build on the legacy,' he said excitedly. 'We can make something great. Listen to this.' He saw a piano against the wall and sat down and elegantly played it. I had no idea he could play piano at all, much less like this." (Duff, Autobiography)

"We came out with three pretty cool ideas." (Zakk Wylde, Kerrang!, 01/28/95)

"Even when Zakk Wylde and Slash played together, there were a couple of songs in which there was a natural progression and they were very rocking. You can imagine, they were really hard songs." (Duff, Popular 1, 07/00)

"It brought out some interesting things in Slash... it would've worked to do some songs." (Axl, 2002)

"We recorded a few demos with him, but nothing panned out." (Duff, Autobiography)

"One of the riffs ended up on the first Black Label Society record [sonic Brew], [on the track] 'Rose-Petalled Garden'. The stuff that I wanted to do, eventually, would have been like GNR on steroids, man." (Zakk Wylde, MyGNR)

"We (Slash and Axl) just had a really rare, heated conversation a couple of days ago, where everything that I've had brewing - you know how quiet and laidback I am - I just let everything out." (Slash, Kerrang, 01/95)

"That whole bullshit thing with Zakk (Wylde)... Just to get that story straight, it's nothing against Zakk, it was just not the right... I love jamming with Zakk on his own, as a separate entity, but in Guns N' Roses it doesn't sound right." (Metal Hammer, 11/95)

"[Guns] doesn't sound right with two heavy-league guitar players." (Slash, Metal Express, 1995)

"Usually, Guns N' Roses has an off-rhythm and a main riff. So, now me and Zakk just play the same thing. But that's just because we're both lead guitar players." (Slash, Metal Express, 1995)

"I was used to working with and playing off of a more low-key rhythm player." (Slash, Autobiography)

"If Zakk and I were to do this, it would be a whole new trip... more like Judas Priest or something. Even he felt that the concept was wrong." (Slash, Autobiography)

"[Axl] sort of listened to me. I said everything I could possibly say that I didn't agree with." (Slash, Kerrang, 01/95)

"[Guns with Zakk] was a different approach that ended up being overpowering and didn't bring out the best in Slash." (Axl, 2002)

"Sometime in early May [95], a curious performance was acted out in the fringes of the Guns world. Shattered Illusion never found its way to print, but it certainly came to reflect the experience Zakk Wylde had dealing with Guns management. The most overlooked point in the story is probably the fact that, at the time, Zakk and Guns had the same manager.

Zakk's timing to gauge a response out of Guns for his application could not had been worse. Slash was touring and in the intervening time, Izzy had not only played live with everyone aside Axl, but he'd done demos with Duff, as well."

"This will be Zakk's last day working on Ozzmosis and working for Ozzy. As you all know, Ozzy has given Zakk his freedom so that he can try to pursue his dream gig with Guns N Roses." (The Ozzy Diaries, 05/05/95)

"I said to him one day, 'Zakk, before you hear it from somebody else, I want you to know that I will be auditioning guitarists to do the tour with me, because I guess you're not coming back. So don't be alarmed if you hear about it.'

That night, he called Sharon and said, 'What's the matter, doesn't Ozzy like my playing anymore?'

So I said to him, 'Zakk, are you gonna play with me?'" (Ozzy, 95)

"I said, 'Oz, I don't know the fuck's going on with the Guns guys.'" (Zakk, 99)

"As much as I love Zakk, we haven't made any decision [to have him in Guns]." (Slash, Metal Express, 1995)

"I told Axl, 'Dude, can't be dickin' Ozzy around. You guys gotta let me know what the fuck's goin' on?'" (Zakk, 99)

"Finally, Doug Goldstein, Zakk's [and GNR's] manager, called Sharon and said, 'Okay, Zakk's in for the tour - send us the contract.' And I go, 'Yes!'

Soon after that, Doug called my wife and said that Zakk was still negotiating with Axl Rose.

And I thought, 'What the fuck is going on?!' What I gathered was that Zakk was using me as a bargaining chip with Guns N' Roses, and that really got me upset. It wasn't fair because I had always been on the level with Zakk.

So I called him." (Ozzy, 95)

"'Oz, I don't know what the fuck is going on with these guys' and he said, 'Zakk, I gotta get somebody else.' (Zakk, 99)

"'I want to know what you're going to do.' And [Zakk] said, 'Just give me the rest of the day.' But he never called." (Ozzy, 95)

"After that, you know, the Guns thing kinda... nothing, nothing really... it didn't end... nothing." (Zakk, 99)

"The next day, I said to Sharon, 'That's it - he's gone. It's over.' And it wasn't because I was jealous - hey, if he joins Guns N' Roses and makes a million dollars, fine. All I wanted was a straight answer from him-but he didn't show me that respect. (Ozzy, 95)

"But you know, once you get all the f**king lawyers involved and that bullsh*t, you know. I saw Axl not so long ago, and I said 'What the f**k happened?' And Axl goes, 'Well Zakk, I heard you wanted two million up front and your own tour bus.'" (Zakk, MyGNR)

"It brought out some interesting things in Slash... it would've worked to do some songs." (Axl, 2002)

"[Guns with Zakk] was a different approach that ended up being overpowering and didn't bring out the best in Slash." (Axl, 2002)

As always, Axl lying to the media to make himself look cool.

• Like 1

As always, Axl lying to the media to make himself look cool.

:lol:

"[Guns] doesn't sound right with two heavy-league guitar players." (Slash, Metal Express, 1995)

"Usually, Guns N' Roses has an off-rhythm and a main riff. So, now me and Zakk just play the same thing. But that's just because we're both lead guitar players." (Slash, Metal Express, 1995)

"I was used to working with and playing off of a more low-key rhythm player." (Slash, Autobiography)

"If Zakk and I were to do this, it would be a whole new trip... more like Judas Priest or something. Even he felt that the concept was wrong." (Slash, Autobiography)

Slash telling the truth is very disconcerting.

Slash telling the truth is very disconcerting.

He was upset, not himself. Back to work.

jdhaalkncojoijpajk acoj.

Jcnioajke aw [ojfoipewmc ojoppmcc[qq[pfuhgvtu kjnv;a;aifjjihtuhgubi -t0ogvoltpokgvp[uyvayvfopth.

Agreed.

Axl is a producer, CD II is ready. Atlas Shrugged is a sequel to It's So Easy.

I'm glad someone understood what I was hifnvpsoacmn-ing.

sknfciojnioksv comprehension is hard to come across these ghkldvn.

jdhaalkncojoijpajk acoj.

Jcnioajke aw [ojfoipewmc ojoppmcc[qq[pfuhgvtu kjnv;a;aifjjihtuhgubi -t0ogvoltpokgvp[uyvayvfopth.

Agreed.

Axl is a producer, CD II is ready. Atlas Shrugged is a sequel to It's So Easy.

I'm glad someone understood what I was hifnvpsoacmn-ing.

sknfciojnioksv comprehension is hard to come across these ghkldvn.

Chinese is like the bus shaker and Axl works the steep vane, I think the court between boat and shortage is just month offer personal with a kitchen update sign glacier.

• Like 2

I think Axl came out and said that Zakk wanted $2,000,000 up front and his own tour bus, to join the band full time. I guess Zakk left that bit out. Slash's ego wouldn't have liked Zakk as a full time member, not a chance.

You've mentioned Slash's huge ego numerous times over the last year. Where do you get that from?

You've made a bold statement here. What facts back up that statement? You do realize that Slash is known for playing with everybody, right? And he actually out out an album that had guest singers on every song, right? Many who were more famous than he is?

The only place I've ever heard that Slash was an egomaniac is on this forum, and just by the same couple of posters who say negative things about Slash on a daily basis.

• Like 3

I think Axl came out and said that Zakk wanted $2,000,000 up front and his own tour bus, to join the band full time. I guess Zakk left that bit out. Slash's ego wouldn't have liked Zakk as a full time member, not a chance.

"But you know, once you get all the f**king lawyers involved and that bullsh*t, you know. I saw Axl not so long ago, and I said 'What the f**k happened?' And Axl goes, 'Well Zakk, I heard you wanted two million up front and your own tour bus.'"

(Zakk, MyGNR)

"But you know, once you get all the f**king lawyers involved and that bullsh*t, you know. I saw Axl not so long ago, and I said 'What the f**k happened?' And Axl goes, 'Well Zakk, I heard you wanted two million up front and your own tour bus.'"

(Zakk, MyGNR)

BAM!!!!!!!!!

Funny how some people constantly rewrite GnR history to always portray Slash as the bad guy. Smh.

• Like 1

Axl on Zakk and Slash december 2008

" I wouldn't have agreed for Zakk [Wylde] to come down if any of Slash's or the media's nonsense were real. And that could've worked on some level but like GUNS it would've been up to those two and their relationship. They talk nice but it wasn't pretty… but it was pretty awesome!!"

Axl on Zakk and Slash december 2008

" I wouldn't have agreed for Zakk [Wylde] to come down if any of Slash's or the media's nonsense were real. And that could've worked on some level but like GUNS it would've been up to those two and their relationship. They talk nice but it wasn't pretty… but it was pretty awesome!!"

Still is

• Like 1

You've mentioned Slash's huge ego numerous times over the last year. Where do you get that from?

You've made a bold statement here. What facts back up that statement? You do realize that Slash is known for playing with everybody, right? And he actually out out an album that had guest singers on every song, right? Many who were more famous than he is?

The only place I've ever heard that Slash was an egomaniac is on this forum, and just by the same couple of posters who say negative things about Slash on a daily basis.

Poor wkuk04, he gets humiliated with facts on a daily basis. Sooner or later he will run out of threads to post his nonsensical unfounded babbling. :( I truly doubt he will be back with factual information to refute your post.

• Like 1

Dude its been proven time and time again. He could apologise to Axl whenever he wants but he doesn't want to, you may ask why should he bow down to Axl...Slash quit and talked shite for years in the press totally betraying any sort of brotherhood between the pair of them. I like Slash, I love his talent and I've heard him play notes that I've not heard any other guitarist pull off, but some of things he's said has made me question his character that's all I'm saying.

Dude its been proven time and time again. He could apologise to Axl whenever he wants but he doesn't want to, you may ask why should he bow down to Axl...Slash quit and talked shite for years in the press totally betraying any sort of brotherhood between the pair of them. I like Slash, I love his talent and I've heard him play notes that I've not heard any other guitarist pull off, but some of things he's said has made me question his character that's all I'm saying.

I doubt Slash a lot too... he still sounds bitter at times.... maybe because he's done a lot to get to Axl and wasn't allowed. But he's a weird guy. He has periods of loving Axl to death and periods of hating Axl to death.

It seems they both have calmed down for the last couple of years. Slash has been saying good things about Axl in the last months. This probably means reunion or a lawsuit or just time taking care of the wounds. :shrugs: