ZAKK WYLDE Remembers Jamming With GUNS N' ROSES: 'It Was A Good Time'

Rdeyahlxp

Slash felt threatened by this guy and dissed him before trying. What an insecure guy Slash is.

Slash was THE lead guitarist in GnR, a band he helped create and his wingnut singer decided it would be a good idea to bring in another high profile lead guitarist. How the fuck do you think Slash felt about that. Because your Axl Rose fandom blinds you to no end and creates this unexplainable hatred towards Slash let me paint a scenario that maybe even you can comprehend. Imagine Slash decided it would be a good idea to bring in another high profile singer. Let's say Slash wanted to write and create GnR music with..... Chris Cornell. I wonder how Axl wouldve felt about that? He's now gotta share the lyrics and vocals with a singer who is arguably as good as he is. I wonder what kind of nasty shit Axl would've said about Slash for doing such a thing. Seriously dude you've become such an Axl Rose zealot you're basically a parody of yourself at this point. Axl bringing in Zakk would be like the New England Patriots bringing in Aaron Rodgers. My apologies if that perfect analogy is lost on you.

Honestly, it is hard to say that axl has always taken good decisions for gnr. But i really think he choose to test zakk because he thought it to be a nice gesture towards slash. Slash appreciated zakk and his guitar style. Sure, it might also show that even axl hardly understood the inner dynamics of gnr with the interplay of the guitarists. But he did it to be nice with slash... It was after the paul tobias story, i think?

Who cares? How long ago was this?

I met a guy in Universal Studios in Orlando FL. He was originally from Ireland and said he was a roadie for GNR during the 91 tour. He said he got drunk with them every night. He sad the guys were very cool.

I'm sure tons of people have hung with GNR back in the day and I'm sure they were super cool, but what does it matter now?

Another example of Axl having no idea of what he's doing. He wanted to take GNR to the next level and make a more modern sound and hires basically Slash on steroids? A guy who plays heavy metal and has southern rock influences? Lol Axl.

Axl is a genius, a producer, a mastermind.

Wasn't the Zakk playing with them thing luck though.

They were in the next studio. So Axl pops his head in and says what market are you going for with this? And Zakk goes the Farmers Market?

So he drops into the Guns studio to jam.

I just don't understand why Slash got mad about the Zakk thing. I mean It wasn't the first time the band brought it other musicians. Axl brought in Shannon for a few songs, Alice Cooper, he had backup singers at concerts. Then there's Slash that gets mad about a jam with another guitarist.

It wasn't like Axl was trying to make a Zakk styled album. If UYI proved anything it was that the band could add some different sounds to their songs without changing completely. I think Axl just thought that if they make one or two songs with Zakk that it will add something different for the new album.

Idk, to me Slash was just looking for a reason to leave. If Axl can share the mic and lead vocals with Duff and Izzy, Shannon and Alice then Slash can play a couple songs with another lead guitarist.

But obviously I don't know the full situation. Maybe Axl was a dick about it or something..

I just don't understand why Slash got mad about the Zakk thing. I mean It wasn't the first time the band brought it other musicians. Axl brought in Shannon for a few songs, Alice Cooper, he had backup singers at concerts. Then there's Slash that gets mad about a jam with another guitarist.

It wasn't like Axl was trying to make a Zakk styled album. If UYI proved anything it was that the band could add some different sounds to their songs without changing completely. I think Axl just thought that if they make one or two songs with Zakk that it will add something different for the new album.

Idk, to me Slash was just looking for a reason to leave. If Axl can share the mic and lead vocals with Duff and Izzy, Shannon and Alice then Slash can play a couple songs with another lead guitarist.

But obviously I don't know the full situation. Maybe Axl was a dick about it or something..

First of all you can't compare a guest appearance with a full time member and exactly this is what Zakk should be. Guns were searching for the second guitatist as a full time member. Not just for one or two songs to have some variety on their sound.

Slash wasn't the one who stopped this thing, it was Zakk himself.

First of all you can't compare a guest appearance with a full time member and exactly this is what Zakk should be. Guns were searching for the second guitatist as a full time member. Not just for one or two songs to have some variety on their sound.

Slash wasn't the one who stopped this thing, it was Zakk himself.

Oh I didn't think there was an intention to sign Zakk on full time. I must have missed that. I thought he was just working with the band for a short bit.

countless bands have had 2(or more) lead guitarists so not sure why that would have been a problem. like someone said if zakk would have stuck to the pride and glory style it would have gelled well IMO.

Didn't Zakk say something like it changed the dynamic of the band and was more like a Judas Priest style thing?

i just remember him saying slash would have done the old stuff and the future stuff would have been both of them, i think it would have been great to be honest.

The intention seems to have been to recruit Zakk full time as a replacement for Gilby.

"He probably thought I'd like the idea because Zakk was a friend of mine and I respected him as a guitarist, but that really didn't seem like an answer to me. I brought up the option of rehiring Gilby, but that idea was flatly rejected..

- Slash

The fact he was brought in at an early stage and that they were jamming on tracks which did not really exist yet, confirms this. If he was merely 'guesting', they would have probably recruited him at a much later stage in the creative process. Also, the desire to remove him would not have been as urgent.

Chris Evans had her roofied up in his mansion.

It seems to me they were looking for an Izzy to write some songs.

Axl lucky he had Paul, and he went with him like he wanted eventually.

Slash had a problem with Izzy, so with someone like Paul or another lead guitar player - disaster. He hates that.

He prefers to do it alone. This is why the Illusions don't sound like Appetite anymore maybe. And World On Fire consists of just Slash guitars.

Edited by Rovim

If Zakk would replace Ron I think a major overhaul would be fitting. Ditch the bloated list of "personnel" a.k.a. loan leechers collected over the years and start anew with respectable musicians and Zakk. So... ditch Pitman, Ferrer, DJ (, maybe Stinson for Duff) and most of all the hangers-on from Brazil (who have infested themselves like a cancer in this band). I would approve of a band consisting of Axl, Duff, Zakk, Fortus, Sorum, Adler or Brian and Reed.

The Slash / Zakk thing in theory sounds great (I'd love to hear what they could write together) but the GNR dynamic was bedded down at that point and Slash saw himself (quite rightly) as the lead guitar player. He'd earned that right through his work on AFD and the UYIs and was a global guitar megastar at that poiint.

Slash also held a senior role in GNR with Duff & Axl and the arrival of this size of presence into his domain may have put that under threat.

Of course I expect the Band of Hystericals (i.e. Tiny Robot etc) to come round here screaming about Slash's deranged ego etc but the fact is nobody is that comfortable about being asked to share something they worked very hard to create for themselves...its human nature.

If Slash had brought in Chris Cornell to "jam some vocals" with Axl, that would probably not have gone down well for similar reasons.

In summary, great idea but neither man would have been really fully comfortable with sharing.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1