Same Sex Marriage Legal in all US States

Słash

I wouldn't say it "winds" us up.

It's just that a man can't marry another man and a woman can't marry another woman, that's just ridiculous.

They can call it anything they want but that doesn't make it so.

You can cohabitate, and I suppose have the same rights as married couples,, benefits, hospital visitation rights etc.

BUT

you're not married

It's just that a man can't marry another man and a woman can't marry another woman, that's just ridiculous.

You can cohabitate, and I suppose have the same rights as married couples,, benefits, hospital visitation rights etc.

BUT

you're not married

Yes they are. Murrica says so.

What bothers me the most about this decision is that the SCOTUS has apparently decided that its role is now to determine the intent of the law, rather than to determine if the law itself is actually constitutional or not. This far exceeds the Marbury versus Madison decision, and changes the court's scope from judicial review to quasi legislating ability.

So one extra person voting on a panel to make the vote 5-4 for gay marriage overrules 300 million people in the country. Maybe we should start a new country.

What bothers me the most about this decision is that the SCOTUS has apparently decided that its role is now to determine the intent of the law, rather than to determine if the law itself is actually constitutional or not. This far exceeds the Marbury versus Madison decision, and changes the court's scope from judicial review to quasi legislating ability.So one extra person voting on a panel to make the vote 5-4 for gay marriage overrules 300 million people in the country. Maybe we should start a new country.

Might wanna ask those 300 million people because last I heard the majority agreed.

What bothers me the most about this decision is that the SCOTUS has apparently decided that its role is now to determine the intent of the law, rather than to determine if the law itself is actually constitutional or not. This far exceeds the Marbury versus Madison decision, and changes the court's scope from judicial review to quasi legislating ability. So one extra person voting on a panel to make the vote 5-4 for gay marriage overrules 300 million people in the country. Maybe we should start a new country.

Exactly, we have ceased to live in a democracy. 5% of a population whines about something and the next thing you know we leave it up to 9 SCJ, 4 of which have completely lost all sense of duty.

You put this up to vote and 48 states vote it down. The other two aren't really part of the US, Massachusetts and California don't count.

Some loon shoots 9 people in a church and next thing you know liberals want to redefine the meaning of a flag. Which is no better than the hate mongers that want to redefine it to mean racism.

I'm really worried about the direction of this country, PC rules the day.

• Like 1

BUT

you're not married

Lol

• Like 2

What bothers me the most about this decision is that the SCOTUS has apparently decided that its role is now to determine the intent of the law, rather than to determine if the law itself is actually constitutional or not. This far exceeds the Marbury versus Madison decision, and changes the court's scope from judicial review to quasi legislating ability. So one extra person voting on a panel to make the vote 5-4 for gay marriage overrules 300 million people in the country. Maybe we should start a new country.

Exactly, we have ceased to live in a democracy. 5% of a population whines about something and the next thing you know we leave it up to 9 SCJ, 4 of which have completely lost all sense of duty.

You put this up to vote and 48 states vote it down. The other two aren't really part of the US, Massachusetts and California don't count.

Some loon shoots 9 people in a church and next thing you know liberals want to redefine the meaning of a flag. Which is no better than the hate mongers that want to redefine it to mean racism.

We have a Constitution. The 14th Amendment to that Constitution guarantees equal protection under the law and due process - both procedural and substantive - under that law. It is within the power of the judiciary and the judiciary alone to define what constitutes a fundamental right subject to those protections, and that is what the Supreme Court did today. What on God's green earth are you going on about? 5% of the population? Last poll I saw had 60% or more of the US in favor of marriage equality. And yeah, we don't live in a democracy. You're right. We're a constitutional republic. You get to legislate some things, but the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. So no, you don't get to vote on things or legislate things that are mandated by the Constitution. The Supreme Court did its job. This ruling is consistent with a long line of cases interpreting the 14th Amendment - Loving, Lawrence, Zablocki, and Windsor have all built to this, and it is the logical outgrowth of their reasoning. This is how our government works and how our Constitution intended it to work. You're right, sometimes it's not "democratic" in the sense of majority rules, but it is intended to protect our essential basic freedoms from tyranny of the majority. And if you don't like it, your problem is with the Constitution, not the court.
But 60% yes?

BUT

you're not married

And how do you figure? They get married but they're not actually married? How does that work?

What bothers me the most about this decision is that the SCOTUS has apparently decided that its role is now to determine the intent of the law, rather than to determine if the law itself is actually constitutional or not. This far exceeds the Marbury versus Madison decision, and changes the court's scope from judicial review to quasi legislating ability.So one extra person voting on a panel to make the vote 5-4 for gay marriage overrules 300 million people in the country. Maybe we should start a new country.

Might wanna ask those 300 million people because last I heard the majority agreed.

not sure where you "heard" that, but there are other channels besides CNN just so you know

trust me, you put it to a private vote and it gets shot down everywhere but the two loony states

not sure where you "heard" that, but there are other channels besides CNN just so you know

trust me, you put it to a private vote and it gets shot down everywhere but the two loony states

Is this like the time you told me that if the Earth moved a mile closer to the sun we'd all burn to death? :lol:
  • Like 1

We have a Constitution. The 14th Amendment to that Constitution guarantees equal protection under the law and due process - both procedural and substantive - under that law. It is within the power of the judiciary and the judiciary alone to define what constitutes a fundamental right subject to those protections, and that is what the Supreme Court did today. What on God's green earth are you going on about? 5% of the population? Last poll I saw had 60% or more of the US in favor of marriage equality. And yeah, we don't live in a democracy. You're right. We're a constitutional republic. You get to legislate some things, but the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. So no, you don't get to vote on things or legislate things that are mandated by the Constitution. The Supreme Court did its job. This ruling is consistent with a long line of cases interpreting the 14th Amendment - Loving, Lawrence, Zablocki, and Windsor have all built to this, and it is the logical outgrowth of their reasoning. This is how our government works and how our Constitution intended it to work. You're right, sometimes it's not "democratic" in the sense of majority rules, but it is intended to protect our essential basic freedoms from tyranny of the majority. And if you don't like it, your problem is with the Constitution, not the court.

this is what I'm dealing with, ^^^^ they actually walk among us too.

thankfully it is still a very small segment of the population,

and he believes what he writes too :facepalm: