Same Sex Marriage Legal in all US States

Słash

Everything this country legislated, acted on, and ruled by was based on our Christian beliefs for our first nearly 200 years of existence.

Then suddenly our kids can't pray in school or acknowledge Christmas in public, or even utter the word God, because a few special interest non believers made a fuss.

Christian beliefs are an easy target because it is based mostly on faith, and I get that.

But I am not going to give up those beliefs because someone else tells me to.

I know there is a God and one day so will you.

If everyone believed in their heart what I believe there would be no wars, no poverty, nothing but a common understanding that we are all Gods children put on earth and are here to enjoy its fruits.

So I'm having a little trouble understanding your disdain for it.

No, law was not based on Christian beliefs. It's why the founders wrote on the separation of religion and state.

No one is asking you to give up your beliefs, what's being asked is others do not have your views imposed upon them. Nobody is forcing you to get married to a guy; but todays decision prevents your views imposed on others.

I suppose you're not familiar with a time known as the medieval period; where most of the European continent believed in a Christian God. Not sure if you're familiar with that period history, but few would characterize it as a time lacking in poverty and war.

Bit academic linking ''poverty and war'' with belief in a ''Christian god' since (European) secularisation, which began with humanism and the Enlightenment of the 16th/17th centuries, did not see a reduction in poverty or war. Quite the reverse in fact since the thoroughly secularised - even atheistic - politics of the French Revolution saw the onset of, 'total war' with the levée en masse (i.e. mass conscription). Any student of medieval combat knows that warfare was strictly limited in scale, involving paltry numbers of knights engaged in set piece engagements.

No where did I state that there's a causal or even correlative relationship between "poverty and war" and "Christian God." What's being disputed is the notion that the belief in a Christian God and Christian values is the answer to war and poverty. In many cases, it's the direct cause. At other times, both war and poverty are result of other factors.

Everything this country legislated, acted on, and ruled by was based on our Christian beliefs for our first nearly 200 years of existence.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

You have opinions. Your opinions do not comport with the Constitution. You are a Christian first and an American second, and you want the country's government to agree with you. That's fine. But don't argue why a decision is wrong based on the Constitution and laws of the United States when you fundamentally don't understand how it works. You responded to my last post by saying "they walk among us" and that I "really believed what I wrote." I do believe what I write, and if by "they" you mean lawyers, you are correct. But at the end of the day, your arguments are founded in religion and not the Constitution. Which is fine for you, but not for the country.

And for the record, I'm religious too, so don't think I'm knocking religion. But you cannot foist that on people and claim to be in line with the Constitution.

You realize that Kennedy's opinion explicitly preserved the right of religious orgs to refuse to ceremonialize same-sex marriages, right? This is ONLY civil marriage we're dealing with here. You might want to actually read the opinion before you start discussing it.

are you really this clueless, or does it just come across that way

Either respond to the points he's making or don't bother posting. You've already been warned by Black Sabbath. Please keep the conversation civil and free of personal attacks.

Final warning.

so far in this thread I've been called illiterate, and a cretin.

so you want all liberals to play with with no dissenting opinion just say so , you don't have to threaten me, this place will never change will it.

have fun

Yes, but the people calling you such did so in addressing your specific points and arguments. We allow for some heated rhetoric, but you have to provide some substance and not just one off insults.

When one thinks about it, the acronym LGBT is politically correct, even within the context of itself. The hitherto 'gay community' found the term 'gay community' ''too offensive'' as it did not include ''minorities, e.g. bisexuals and trannys, in that said community'' which ''offended said minorities' 'yuman rights'' so came up with the all inclusive jargon, 'LGBT'.

Now the white straight man has been put where he naturally deserves, in chains, soon, all these politically correcting groupings, e.g. tranny dwarfs and stuff, will fight among themselves in a civil war haha.

So well apart from getting wed locked and being Married what benefits will be received compared to people in a live in relationship, this is just a general question, not just for same sex marriages, but even for Opposite sex marriages

insurance (death), medical, a whole host of state benefits (like food stamps), and taxes (can be good or bad).

Inheritance taxes also play a role. Married couples do not pay federal death taxes; non-married people can be subjected to inheritance taxes.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

You have opinions. Your opinions do not comport with the Constitution. You are a Christian first and an American second, and you want the country's government to agree with you. That's fine. But don't argue why a decision is wrong based on the Constitution and laws of the United States when you fundamentally don't understand how it works. You responded to my last post by saying "they walk among us" and that I "really believed what I wrote." I do believe what I write, and if by "they" you mean lawyers, you are correct. But at the end of the day, your arguments are founded in religion and not the Constitution. Which is fine for you, but not for the country.

And for the record, I'm religious too, so don't think I'm knocking religion. But you cannot foist that on people and claim to be in line with the Constitution.

You realize that Kennedy's opinion explicitly preserved the right of religious orgs to refuse to ceremonialize same-sex marriages, right? This is ONLY civil marriage we're dealing with here. You might want to actually read the opinion before you start discussing it.

are you really this clueless, or does it just come across that way

I've cited case law and doctrines of Constitutional interpretation to you twice, and you've called me names. I'm genuinely interested in hearing it if you have an actual legal argument for any of your name-calling. Otherwise, you're just making yourself and everyone who agrees with you - including the ones who CAN make strong legal arguments - look bad.

Careful... He might start calling you Mr. Google. Then what's he going to call me?

When one thinks about it, the acronym LGBT is politically correct, even within the context of itself. The hitherto 'gay community' found the term 'gay community' ''too offensive'' as it did not include ''minorities, e.g. bisexuals and trannys, in that said community'' which ''offended said minorities' 'yuman rights'' so came up with the all inclusive jargon, 'LGBT'.

Now the white straight man has been put where he naturally deserves, in chains, soon, all these politically correcting groupings, e.g. tranny dwarfs and stuff, will fight among themselves in a civil war haha.

In chains?

Took way too long to be honest

Can we please stop with this marriage is sacred bullshit? If it was so sacred the rush Limbaugh's of the world wouldn't marry and remarry 4 or 5 fucking times.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

Was gonna make a joke about it being a sad day for LGBT commitment-phobes who've been using this as an excuse not to get married but seems Key & Peele beat me to it :lol:

He ain't ever going to see that guy again.

u97zkzcovxiscqcco6wf.jpg

Took way too long to be honest

Can we please stop with this marriage is sacred bullshit? If it was so sacred the rush Limbaugh's of the world wouldn't marry and remarry 4 or 5 fucking times.

Exactly. Why aren't Christians upset that non Christians even marry?

• Like 2

It's Pride tomorrow (27th) and am due to work in Soho again this year... I hope it's like last year.

In chains?

To be white, straight, red-blooded, masculine, normal, is the new gay - didn't you know?

In chains?

To be white, straight, red-blooded, masculine, normal, is the new gay - didn't you know?

Last year I was butt-hurt and drunk and didn't care/was down & really really drunk, probably been spiked too - and I was with my mixed race lesbian sister (who adopted me as her kin) and... We were in Brixton outside the KFC there in the middle of the night; enroute from Soho - Thornton Heath, and pissed off/upset/everything, I was like 'THE WHITE MAN IS THE NEW hooray for tolerance!!' 'I DON'T CARE, YOU SEE A HOMELESS GUY SLEEPING ON THE STREET, CHANCES ARE IT'S A WHITE GUY! not amused or having any b/s anyone tried to present panhandling or; whatever! Brixton just made me want to fight because I was't having any of it. - I was just vexed going on about how the white man's the new hooray for tolerance!. :lol:

:lol: and instead of getting on our bus, she pulled me on to the first bus out of there, :), she's great, has my back.

I digress; Historical day for America. - Didn't see it coming yet.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Great thread, i like the fact how the regulars here destroy the conservatard opinions about this issue :lol:

I think it's good for the gays and therefore this is a big step to equal rights in general

But i also think that marriage is just a symbol and nothing more (at least for me, because i couldn't care less, i haven't seen a working marriage out of 10 relationships so....). It can be important, but i think history teaches us what marriage worth in general :bitchfight:

Edited by Strange Broue

Some believe the idea of racism is shifting entirely. A 2008 poll by USA Today/Gallup and showed that 40% of adults in America think racism against white people is widespread in the United States. A study published last year said that whites increasingly believe that bias against whites is a bigger problem than bias against blacks.

This is a terrible day for the United States. This not a good thing. Dudes marrying Dudes. Teaching our children this is normal will be the biggest mistake in your lifetime.

What is this "normal" people speak of? Haven't met a "normal" person yet....

Define "normal"

Edited by gunsguy

I wouldn't say it "winds" us up.

It's just that a man can't marry another man and a woman can't marry another woman, that's just ridiculous.

They can call it anything they want but that doesn't make it so.

You can cohabitate, and I suppose have the same rights as married couples,, benefits, hospital visitation rights etc.

BUT

you're not married

Lol. Says who?

This is a terrible day for the United States. This not a good thing. Dudes marrying Dudes. Teaching our children this is normal will be the biggest mistake in your lifetime.

What is this "normal" people speak of? Haven't met a "normal" person yet....

Define "normal"

A white anglo-saxon Christian.