DJ Ashba quits Guns N' Roses

Ok Im hearing Frank's podcast, they talk about random stuff and GNR stuff, ill write here whatever GNR stuff I hear otherwise I will forget

He talked about how he came in GNR, he knew Richard and knows Tommy too, so they told him that Brain will be off for 2 weeks and Frank will just have to fill in for him for 5 shows or so, then Frank rehearses all the Appetite songs and then Brain plays the new songs like better in front of him.

They tell him they will see him in Europe, Brain is still in the band, for 2 weeks he is with the band but just watching them as Brain is on the drums, After brain leaves then he only gets 2 sound checks/small rehearsal to master all the songs before his first night of playing with the full band.

He was asked if he had an interaction with Axl all this time, he said he din't have a proper interaction with Axl in those 2 weeks or before, but Axl was worried if things will go well or not, Del spoke to Axl and told Axl that this is the perfect guy. Then after his first show they hung out and all.

He also speaks that Axl usually leaves in a separate vehicle and sometimes reaches the city before everyone else, depending on the schedule, he also said that the rest of the band members have travelled in all sorts of things like Private jets, Buses etc etc, he said that they make the band members travel comfortably and manage well cause after the tour the members live in different cities so its all done well.

He also talks about Rehearsals, he said that most of them end up in LA and rehearse at a place in Burbank, only for the Vegas they din't rehearse in LA.

He is asked if girls throw themselves at him as he is the drummer of GNR, he said he was single for a while, so touring with Guns made him learn about cultures of Women and Men from different countries and as they travel to different places, so even from that he learnt a lot.

Axl is super loyal, super friendly, Frank is texting him and he is texting DJ and Axl is cool with DJ.

Frank said there is a plan in place and it will take place soon.

Well after this they moved from the GNR Discussion, so only this was the GNR bit.

Edited by Slash787
  • Like 1

I've expressed to management that the current negative vibe towards the band is largely a product of having no new material and an unwillingness to keep fans in the loop.

What was their response ?

giphy.gif

Just kidding...

It was acknowledged. I think they understand and accept a person's right to criticize and vent frustrations when and where it's appropriate. What they object to, and I think rightfully so, is some of the vitriolic and down right nasty and cruel language. Some of the shit said about Axl and GNR is way over the top. One would think that Axl punched everyone's mothers in the face based on some of the responses around here.

They said all of this or are you improvising? They said that last sentence about the responses on this forum? As somebody pointed out Facebook must be far worse as here it has moderators to remove non called for offensive posts. Why are we depending on what the drummer says in his interview to get updates when management could put something out to reassure us they plan to "forge ahead"?

I've expressed to management that the current negative vibe towards the band is largely a product of having no new material and an unwillingness to keep fans in the loop.

It was acknowledged. I think they understand and accept a person's right to criticize and vent frustrations when and where it's appropriate. What they object to, and I think rightfully so, is some of the vitriolic and down right nasty and cruel language. Some of the shit said about Axl and GNR is way over the top. One would think that Axl punched everyone's mothers in the face based on some of the responses around here.

I can see things from both points of view: on the one hand when I read your post and think of some of the comments made about Axl and Beta I feel pretty bad. But then I read tomfriend's abridged list of why the most loyal and hardcore fans are so fucking fed up and.....just.....there isn't any middle ground. You end up with forums where you can't say you didn't like the DVD without being called a t.roll and forums where 90% of posts are pessimistic.

I agree. Look, I'm not here to defend the past actions of GNR management or Axl himself. Nor am I saying that the negativity isn't a natural byproduct of a void of communication from the band. You can't expect your fanbase to remain warm and fuzzy when you do not offer them either product or communication. However, the amount of anger directed towards Axl regarding those two propositions gets a little nuts at times. The guy is still a human being and while he maybe guilty of a few things I'm not sure it's worth the outright hostility that gets directed his way. I get it, we're all frustrated and angry that we're all still here and we only have one album to show for our continual support. But a little perspective is warranted. You'd think at times it was Axl that shot Cecil the Lion and not some asshole dentist from Minnesota. :P

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not into bagging Axl's appearance and all that shit...but (besides DJ leaving) there's so little to be positive about.

The overwhelming majority of us are surely "Axl fans" but the way things are handled...you can't help but be negative.

Don't disagree with this in the slightest. Just a matter of how far down the road we want to go. Fans have the right to vent and voice displeasure from time to time. I was extremely angry and frustrated with how Axl handled the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame induction. I came on here, said what I needed to say (as many did) and then got over it. I've got enough going on in my life that holding on to anger over something a musician does (or doesn't do) isn't necessary.

Totally agree 100% with everything you said. I think with taking things to far there are two areas that happens in and it's Axl's appearance and his relationship with the Lebeis family/management. The thing is that there are always going to be a handful of people that get unnecessarily personal and nasty but then everyone else who is frustrated and critical gets lumped in together. It's a lose-lose.

He's using the GNR name, that's completely wrong. He's not GNR. My hostility comes from there, not from the lack of fakegnr material.

You might as well try and just accept the fact that he's legally owned the name for over two decades. I was the biggest Chinese supporter out there but even I wish, in hindsight, that he'd just used his own name. It worked out pretty well for Dave Grohl.

They tell him they will see him in Europe, Brain is still in the band, for 2 weeks he is with the band but just watching them as Brain is on the drums, After brain leaves then he only gets 2 sound checks/small rehearsal to master all the songs before his first night of playing with the full band.

He was asked if he had an interaction till Axl all this time, he said he din't have a proper interaction with Axl in those 2 weeks or before, but Axl was worried if things will go well or not, Del spoke to Axl and told Axl that this is the perfect guy. Then after his first show they hung out and all.

Axl is super loyal, super friendly, Frank is texting him and he is texting DJ and Axl is cool with DJ.

Thanks for the recap.

See, the thing about him not even meeting Axl until AFTER his first show is one of a million reasons we end up exasperated. Like the Brain story from his recent interview about how the whole band rehearsed the whole set without Axl before Rio 3 then Axl shows up late at like 3am so they have to do the whole thing again. He just comes in, sits on the couch, watches and then leaves without saying a word.

You put all the hundreds of little things like that together and it's like 'Fuck, dude. I want to support you but this is how you run one of the biggest bands in the world and then shit goes wrong all the time?!'

giphy.gif

Just kidding...

Thanks to both you and managemet. Maybe the cruel language would go away if Axl could at least put a selfie of him at some baseball game or whatever instead of the comments he mkes on twitter. I´m not even asking for news. But Axl could use twitter in a different way.

Also it could be good for Axl or management to explain the BBF situation. Unlike DJ, BBF is not explaning anything.

It is a two way street. They don´t like it when fans use nasty and cruel language. Then it is up to them to do something about it other than just say they don´t like the language

Even if original or classic guns was still together how can you so sure that everything would be so rosy? For all we know the

quality of the music might have dipped the solo records from the guns guys aren't that great tbh. Not many if any bands pull off great albums one after another. This is where we are at right now, reunion is highly unlikely not because of some people's impression that Axl hates Slash but because of a whole host of reasons, the court cases, the jamming with every band & act in existence bar the band your in, and before somebody like Apollo or Bono writes me an essay and how I'm so wrong and how dare I criticise Slash or Duff they have never done anything wrong nananananananananana. I just don't believe it's as simple as burying the hatchet with people coming out with there reunion fantasy's.

t what point has anyone said it would be simply. For fuck sakes. The current GnR is a shit show. It's worthless so a reunion couldn't be any worse. It's so asinine that people like you doubt that a reunion could produce some good. It's not like what we have no is good. If these guys did make the slightest effort to burry the hatchet they could record themselves shitting ina can and it would be better than what we have right now. Maybe a reunion is a fantasy but GnR as it exists now is a fucking shit show that nobody wants.

giphy.gif

Just kidding...

Um, no offense, but fuck them. They've treated the FANS with nothing but contempt and disdain when something leaks and it is met with positivity, or when people want to see their favorite act tour, or heat new music that has been talked about and dangled like a carrot in front of them for decades, or wanting an update once every several years. Yea we're the assholes here. Too fuckin bad, Team Brazil.

I've always thought Axl's camp should spend more time concentrating on their die hard fans as opposed to the negative ones.

And man, not jut Facebook. Go to any music site and see how fans talk about Axl and the current band. It's brutal.

Yes, this is a fan page. But it's a two way street.

Axl doesn't owe us anything? True. But conversely, we don't owe Axl anything either. It's a two way street.

Release more than one album every 20 years.

Keep fans in the loop. And/or chat with fans every once in awhile. Axl or Team Brazil are too busy to come chat or make comments every so often? If Axl spent one hour a month on the various main GnR forums.....imagine the good will that would bring?

Axl likes to make odd twitter posts on various news items. Why not occasionally come to the forums and make a few comments?

One hour a month. It really is that simple.

Treat your die hard fans with respect and 85% of the negativity disappears.

Release music more than once every twenty years - especially when you talk about releasing music and having two albums in the can - and you eliminate a large majority of the overall negativity and almost all the forum negativity.

Why is this so simple to understand to EVERYBODY except for Axl and his camp?

You're right, fans don't owe Axl anything... that doesn't mean they have to bash him for anything and everything.

Can you imagine if Axl came back here to post? The hordes of morons would just treat him like crap. If TB did the same thing... even worse. What you suggest doesn't make sense in this environment. I do agree that it would be nice to know what's going on, they could use their social media accounts and the official website for that purpose, but even then that's asking too much considering that no established bands do that unless there's something important coming up. I think part of that "you have to let us know everything that's going on" attitude comes from an age where we've got used to everyone over exposing themselves on social media. Trent Reznor tried being connected to the fans through twitter and he had to give it up because of the amount of people willing to fuck things up just because they have a completely fucked up sense of entitlement. Talking about TR and NIN... it's the same thing... if there's not something going on, TR or the NIN camp don't go on social media trying to keep fans interested... there's nothing to communicate, as simple as that.

What some people call "treating the fans with respect" is just a sense of entitlement that doesn't make sense. I think it's the fans who have had very little respect to Axl, GNR and TB by being unnecessarily offensive towards them.

Yeah, I want new music from GNR, and from NIN, and from My Bloody Valentine, and from Eric Avery and dozens of other artists who don't communicate to their fans everything that's going on with the band, but that doesn't give me the right to be a disrespectful spoiled little shit.

It is sad. If Axl did come on here it could be a shit show which is pretty stupid to think about. Then again last time he was here he attacked someone so bad it was ban worthy

• Like 2

Any nugnr release with Ashba's contributions would have only made things worse. I dislike CD but anything with Ashba would have been even worse. GNR is down 2 guitarists, he's had Duff fill in and Frank is just sort of there so now is the best time for a smooth transition back to real GNR.

• Like 1

why is anyone even wondering? if the guy had to choose would he a) be in a band where a lot of fans hate on him cause he's not the original member, not be guaranteed any writing credits or royalties, playing the same setlist, not really know when he is going to work next. OR b) choose to go with sixx am where he gets 1/3 of the writing credits and tour money presumably, guaranteed gets to create and write NEW music for the band, people like him for who he is and not hate for who he isn't -he can be his own star in this band not live in someone's shadow.

it's a no brainer

I'm glad he made the choice now i don't have to watch him butcher the classics and perhaps i can step back and enjoy some of his own original work. I watched the video in one of the threads here he was doing a demo he is pretty decent when he is playing his own stuff. I hope he has success with sixx am and i'm relieved he's the fuck out of gnr.

• Like 2

That's exactly my point. There's so much bashing and teenage rage around here it's ridiculous.

If there's no news from anyone in the band: they don't care about us, the fans. We made them what they are, we paid for Axl's house... and all that bs.

News from any member (not Axl): it's bullshit, they've been saying the same for the last 10 years, what the fuck do they know, they're not in the band, nobody knows them, they suck...

News from Axl or no news from Axl: he's fat, he should retire the GNR name, he's going bald, he eats too much, he doesn't sing anymore, he blames everyone else, he's an asshole, GNR is not a band, he's done...

There's no way to please these kids. All they want is a reunion, and even then they would complain because "it's not the same, the magic isn't there anymore, Axl was late to the show, there's no chemistry, it's not like they were in 1991, what a waste of time and money, they only did it to grab the cash...

All of the negativity would disappear in a heartbeat if Axl announced a new album tomorrow. It's not about communication or lack thereof, I don't follow this band because I want communication, I follow this band because I want music. Of course I am not entitled to it and yes, a lot of people on here are acting like complete dicks due to their frustrations getting the better of them, or because they feel disillusioned. But it's time for new music. It's seven years since Chinese Democracy, and many of those songs were being performed or in the public domain for years prior to that. Whilst we don't have the right to demand new music, GNR/management don't have the right to expect our unwavering support. An artist or a band gets the fanbase they deserve. If Axl/management want happy fans, then give them something to be happy about. If they don't want to put out new music, put the fans out of their misery and we can all stop wasting our time holding out for something that is never going to come.

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Just kidding...

Um, no offense, but fuck them. They've treated the FANS with nothing but contempt and disdain when something leaks and it is met with positivity, or when people want to see their favorite act tour, or heat new music that has been talked about and dangled like a carrot in front of them for decades, or wanting an update once every several years. Yea we're the assholes here. Too fuckin bad, Team Brazil.

I've always thought Axl's camp should spend more time concentrating on their die hard fans as opposed to the negative ones.

And man, not jut Facebook. Go to any music site and see how fans talk about Axl and the current band. It's brutal.

Yes, this is a fan page. But it's a two way street.

Axl doesn't owe us anything? True. But conversely, we don't owe Axl anything either. It's a two way street.

Release more than one album every 20 years.

Keep fans in the loop. And/or chat with fans every once in awhile. Axl or Team Brazil are too busy to come chat or make comments every so often? If Axl spent one hour a month on the various main GnR forums.....imagine the good will that would bring?

Axl likes to make odd twitter posts on various news items. Why not occasionally come to the forums and make a few comments?

One hour a month. It really is that simple.

Treat your die hard fans with respect and 85% of the negativity disappears.

Release music more than once every twenty years - especially when you talk about releasing music and having two albums in the can - and you eliminate a large majority of the overall negativity and almost all the forum negativity.

Why is this so simple to understand to EVERYBODY except for Axl and his camp?

You're right, fans don't owe Axl anything... that doesn't mean they have to bash him for anything and everything.

Can you imagine if Axl came back here to post? The hordes of morons would just treat him like crap. If TB did the same thing... even worse. What you suggest doesn't make sense in this environment. I do agree that it would be nice to know what's going on, they could use their social media accounts and the official website for that purpose, but even then that's asking too much considering that no established bands do that unless there's something important coming up. I think part of that "you have to let us know everything that's going on" attitude comes from an age where we've got used to everyone over exposing themselves on social media. Trent Reznor tried being connected to the fans through twitter and he had to give it up because of the amount of people willing to fuck things up just because they have a completely fucked up sense of entitlement. Talking about TR and NIN... it's the same thing... if there's not something going on, TR or the NIN camp don't go on social media trying to keep fans interested... there's nothing to communicate, as simple as that.

What some people call "treating the fans with respect" is just a sense of entitlement that doesn't make sense. I think it's the fans who have had very little respect to Axl, GNR and TB by being unnecessarily offensive towards them.

Yeah, I want new music from GNR, and from NIN, and from My Bloody Valentine, and from Eric Avery and dozens of other artists who don't communicate to their fans everything that's going on with the band, but that doesn't give me the right to be a disrespectful spoiled little shit.

Again - you, just like Team Brazil, are focusing on the minority of NEGATIVE people and ignoring the 90% of people who are positive. Such a weird way to look at things.

And wow. An artist communicating with his fans. Odd that so many other artists do it - routinely - and have no problems with it. The "climate" doesn't seem to effect them. But poor Axl is going to be shamed to death if he occasionally posts on a fan forum? Seriously? From the baddest last true rock star alive to having his feelings hurt because of six mean posters on a rock forum? Give me a break. HTGTH is 24/7 Axl worship. Why doesn't he post there?

And seriously, fuck off with all your passive aggressive comments. Saying that an artist should have respect for his fans - in your mind - equals people having a sense of entitlement that doesn't make sense? You contradict your self, bub. You are whining and crying about people needing to have respect for Axl......but then saying people are wrong in thinking Axl should have respect back? Seriously? Is Axl a God in your world that we must all bow down to? We shouldn't expect him to show respect, but we must all bow down and respect him like he is the King of the World?

Finally, your last statement is ridiculous. Those bands do keep their fans updated. Nobody is saying Axl has to give a day by day progress report. How about doing a three-sentence update twice a year? That's literally less than five minutes of Axl's time.

Disrespectful spoiled little shit? LOL. Naw, you just sound like a bitter disrespectful sycophant.

In all honesty, posters like you cause just as much - if not more - negativity than the people you are complaining about. You make Axl fans look crazy.

That's exactly my point. There's so much bashing and teenage rage around here it's ridiculous.

If there's no news from anyone in the band: they don't care about us, the fans. We made them what they are, we paid for Axl's house... and all that bs.

News from any member (not Axl): it's bullshit, they've been saying the same for the last 10 years, what the fuck do they know, they're not in the band, nobody knows them, they suck...

News from Axl or no news from Axl: he's fat, he should retire the GNR name, he's going bald, he eats too much, he doesn't sing anymore, he blames everyone else, he's an asshole, GNR is not a band, he's done...

There's no way to please these kids. All they want is a reunion, and even then they would complain because "it's not the same, the magic isn't there anymore, Axl was late to the show, there's no chemistry, it's not like they were in 1991, what a waste of time and money, they only did it to grab the cash...

All of the negativity would disappear in a heartbeat if Axl announced a new album tomorrow. It's not about communication or lack thereof, I don't follow this band because I want communication, I follow this band because I want music. Of course I am not entitled to it and yes, a lot of people on here are acting like complete dicks due to their frustrations getting the better of them, or because they feel disillusioned. But it's time for new music. It's seven years since Chinese Democracy, and many of those songs were being performed or in the public domain for years prior to that. Whilst we don't have the right to demand new music, GNR/management don't have the right to expect our unwavering support. An artist or a band gets the fanbase they deserve. If Axl/management want happy fans, then give them something to be happy about. If they don't want to put out new music, put the fans out of their misery and we can all stop wasting our time holding out for something that is never going to come.

:hug:

Downzy - this post should end this topic.

Late to the party on this, but it is surprising. Figured Ashba would want to milk this cash cow a little longer.

Despite his ultra-douche persona, hard to hate on him. He got in, made apparently a bunch of money for very little work, leaves on his terms and gets to play in a band that actually makes music.

Plus, we're spared from hearing what a DJ Ashba-era GNR song sounds like. Everybody wins.

• Like 1

Trent is always talking about his projects and keeps giving gifts to the fans. Stop making stuff up to make Axl look less like an asshole.

That is not truth.

TR communicates through the press when he's interviewed. He doesn't post on ETS and he only posted on the NIN forums a few times many years ago around the time they were doing the LitS Tour.

And the NIN camp only puts stuff on NIN.com or their social media accounts when there's something going on (an album or tour on the works). There's no regular updating to keep the fans happy or anything like that. In fact, there have been long periods of silence when all we've known is what's on the press, and I've never seen all the bashing in the NIN or ETS forums because of that... There's a huge difference in the attitude from the fans perspective.

We were told many years ago that The Fragile was going to have a special anniversary edition that was being worked on... and we haven't had news about that in a long time. We don't know if the project has been ditched,or it's still being worked on, or if the label is making things difficult... we have no fucking clue! But fans aren't talking shit about TR for the lack of communication or complaining. Same goes for the DVD/Bluray release of the Tension Tour. Same goes for the release of a DVD or digital release of the How to Destroy Angels tour that they were going to work on with some fans.

Same goes for bands like My Bloody Valentine. Fans are not a bunch of spoiled entitled douchebags talking crap about Kevin Shields because it took him 20-or-so years to release a follow-up to Loveless or because there hasn't been any new music or news since they released MBV despite them saying that they were working on new material.

Sure, we all wish Axl and GNR had better communication with the fans, but people around here just love bashing and talking shit nevertheless.

Wait a minute.. You just posted NIN posts on social media when albums DVD/blue rays and tours are in the works and that Trent does interviews... Holy shit if Axl and GnR did any of that this place wouldn't know what to do lol. But Axl gives no interviews, doesn't talk about music or release it, and talks giraffes on twitter. Oh and GnR social media consists of promoting the appetite era band...

• Like 2