DJ Ashba quits Guns N' Roses

I think I came to a realisation just now.

I mean, it seems obvious. All the people that have left over the years have been highly motivated musicians. Say what you will about DJ, but he is certainly motivated. Bucket....hasn't he put out something like 200 albums since leaving?

The people who've stuck around longest are slacker types. The Mats were the original slacker band. Tommy blatantly cares, first and foremost, about getting drunk. What motivates Dizzy? Well, his side project is called Hookers and Blow, maybe there's some sort of veiled clue in there if we search hard enough.

And think about it, if you in fact are a slacker, GNR is the most completely ideal gig you could ever wish for. A few weeks of work a year, a great wage that's there whether you do anything or not, spend most of your time sitting on your arse, the rest of the time being adored in South America. Do next to nothing, never have to do anything potentially difficult like say, having an idea or creating a song and still get to vaguely claim to be a rockstar?

What I'm saying is SIGN ME THE FUCK UP! :)

• Like 1

I think I came to a realisation just now.

I mean, it seems obvious. All the people that have left over the years have been highly motivated musicians. Say what you will about DJ, but he is certainly motivated. Bucket....hasn't he put out something like 200 albums since leaving?

The people who've stuck around longest are slacker types. The Mats were the original slacker band. Tommy blatantly cares, first and foremost, about getting drunk. What motivates Dizzy? Well, his side project is called Hookers and Blow, maybe there's some sort of veiled clue in there if we search hard enough.

And think about it, if you in fact are a slacker, GNR is the most completely ideal gig you could ever wish for. A few weeks of work a year, a great wage that's there whether you do anything or not, spend most of your time sitting on your arse, the rest of the time being adored in South America. Do next to nothing, never have to do anything potentially difficult like say, having an idea or creating a song and still get to vaguely claim to be a rockstar?

What I'm saying is SIGN ME THE FUCK UP! :)

You sure do have the self absorbed attitude that some claim Axl has... I bet your musically inclined to boot.... :lol:

Edited by pacu44

By highly motivated you mean failed rock stars?

No offense to anyone we are all mostly heroic failures.

Axl on the other hand is a living legend, one of the biggest rock stars of all time. So motivation isnt really of the essence.

Stadiums of people will turn out to see him sing old GNR songs, covers, rant, be late, even the odd show tune or god forbid a new song.

Its easy to be hungry when you aint got shit to lose.

Its hard to get motivated when you aint got shit to gain?

So I think with the records Axl tried to make something special, something that added to the legacy in someway. And following such epicness how do you do that?

Maybe people like Tommy and Dizzy or someone as seasoned as Fortus arent all twisted up about making it, or having a glorious career.

Maybe Ron and Dj see more future, they have the drive become huge recording artists.

But calling everyone else lazy is a bit harsh, Tommy has probably had the toughest road out of them all. He still puts out solo records. Fortus tours with other bands, even puts out records, same for Frank. Pitman has SexTapes, right? He's probably always creating new towel designs on his iphone.

Lazy is just another way of saying you're trying too hard.

• Like 1

On one hand I think what a record CD is, regardless of the time it took or the opportunities for further records Axl has spurned with the resources, personnel and time he's whittled away. On the other I think, outstanding record I'm really glad I got to hear but damn he could've built on that when he had the fire... there's no excuse for not moving on from it when 'every chance was given' to quote from a song that we probably will never hear unless he's been hoarding songs from the Bucket and Finck era that were completed and sporadically added to, like one solo inserted over another or a re-recorded riff... if he ever puts out that time capsule prehistoric album I'd still 10/10 buy and listen to it a lot if that's the case but if only he did a half n' half record when BBF was in the band and still had his hopes, get it the fuck out of the way...don't piss it away when you still have the x-factor and means to convey it... that was the problem, getting over his illogical hump and repeating the same tour three times more than was needed...

Edited by RandallFlagg

If you gave Axl 100 chances at anything all you'd get is 50 times when he didn't show up and 50 different ways of fucking it up.

He fucked up:

Releasing the album in 02

His 'big comeback' at the VMAs

Keeping Bucket and Finck

Releasing the album in 06

Promoting the album to the media

Releasing a music video.

Releasing 'part 2' in a reasonably timely fashion

Rio 2011

The Bridge School Benefit

Keeping Ron and Ashba

Oh sorry, I forgot. Not having a stable lineup and constantly having people quit because of your ineptitude at putting out music is a good thing. Its like watching a kid trying to do a trick on their BMX, screwing it up, flying headfirst over the handlebars and ending up with the front wheel parked in their arsecrack saying "That was good. That was what I wanted to do all along, actually."

How many chances do the apologists think he deserves exactly? Now he needs an entire year so he can 'finish' the album he has been saying is finished since the fucking turn of the century! It's a goddamn joke.

And so what if he is planning to get Bucket and Finck back? So what if he's planning a reunion with Slash? So what if he really is finishing the album? Why does anyone take what he does seriously? Newsflash - whatever Axl Rose plans, he will find a way to fuck up. Every time.

Edited by tomfriend

But only Rio is really his fault and it was raining like fuck. Bridge school is charity gig?

There was no 2002 release date. In 1999 and 2000 the label didnt really greenlight. Jimmy suggest the rerecord with RTB. Then afterwards Ezrin said it was still shit, so...

2004 is when they agreed to release it. But Axl declined the ultimatum so they put out GH. So Bucket quit. So Axl could be blamed for this. Maybe same for 2006 release date and Finck quitting. But Merck was involved.

Label didnt give them video budget. They made their own Better video that wasnt supported or used.

Label rejected CD II in 2010. Too soon after CD.

Keep touring is all they could do.

Ron and Dj quit. Potentially because Axl wouldnt or couldnt write with them or make new album.

So id say band members leaving bcos Axl cant finish a record or get one released in a normal time frame is fair. some members have said the label didnt help by giving Axl options or encouragemt. Reality is life moves on.

2004 was the event horizon of new Guns. Put it out keep Bucket and Finck.

2010 also could have been important to keep Ron and Dj on board. Including some Dj songs or Ron parts could have kept the thing going. Label might be right though. CD II in 2010 could bomb more and Dj and Ron take the blame. And quit anyway.

The rest is like not really or who cares.

In regards to the Robin vs DJ debate, I actually think DJ did a much better job overall on older material. I think people tend to forget just how sloppy Robin got. You can argue he was making the material his own, but it also lead to a lot of mistakes. His tone was also hit and miss.

I really do like Robin, though, and would welcome him back. He helped make a lot of the CD material so if a reunion is impossible, I'd like him to come back over someone new.

WOW!!! Fernando called out magisme in HTGTH over the 3 hours meeting jokes :lol:

He also apologize over things that coul´ve been done better

That's probably the most "work" he's done since he started to mooch off work with Axl Edited by username

So you're choosing to believe Ron over GNR? That's fine, but that is what you're doing. The source is certainly implying that Ron wasn't told not to comment on his status. Ron has said he was told not to comment.

Consider the source of that quote is a confirmed source with the band. It could be a band member who has no idea what Ron and management agreed to.

I think people are making this more complicated than it needs to be. He's out. Does it really matter who announced it or when it was announced? There aren't any shows or releases on the horizon that we know of. When that time comes, we'll find out who's actually in the band. I wouldn't expect to find out today, next week, or next month. If we do, great, but I wouldn't count on it.

I agree. There will always be the could of done better, should of done it this way, should of done it that way. Things could of been handled differently, however they weren't and here we are. I know it isn't ideal, and what's not ideal; gets turned into whatever one's perception of the situation is and then the forums flourish with discussions.

Some of the points made on this Forum or others are read and even the most negative ones help in some way. I do apologize if updates aren't as frequently as you would like them to be. But it doesn't mean that there isn't one, just maybe, only maybe that update isn't ready to be made.

One of my favorite quotes is "3 hour meeting". That gets me every time. My favorite poster has to be (magisme), if you or anyone ever wondered.

Well aside from the Magisme nugget, that was the usual 'talking without saying anything' bollocks.

Why yes, there are multiple ways of doing things. And almost all of them are better than constant silence. Is that it? Ok then....

Not every communication from a band has to be an announcement. It's not that hard for someone to tweet 'working towards a or b or c.' If a song is been worked on, stick 10 seconds of it on Vine. Oh look, visible/audible progress! Fans less pissed off. Ten seconds of an Axl scream or a guitar bit. Suddenly we're hypothesising about which song that will be from, what year it might have been recorded, which guitarist it is...

There's a hundred little things that could be being done if anyone had the inclination. But as of right now the band's entire social media presence is based about 60% on pre 1994, 10% on 2010-2014 and 30% shit that has nothing to do with Guns. Where is anything that suggests the band/brand has a future?

As for saying nothing on FB or Twitter about Ron and DJ leaving, once again, saying nothing is the worst thing you can do. Come off as optimistic about it, stick up some photos of Ron & DJ, 'hey it was great having these guys in the band, what's everyone's favourite 2010 performance?' Etc. Or come off as defiant, forging ahead.

But don't say nothing about 2 guitarists leaving your band for fucks sake. All you come off as then is like you don't care about the band anymore. The band that was last seen a year ago, has no release on schedule, no tour dates booked and seemingly no plans. I mean really, this is the strategy to go with. "Hey, people think we've quit. I know! Lets keep even quieter and maybe they'll think nobody's home and go away".

His comments are so stupid. He admits things could have been done better, then in the same sentence spins the same crap he's been doing for years. "An update is not ready" The point of an update is to tell people where you are at, not give a final answer on everything.

• Like 1