Civil War

I've realised over the years that this is one of my favorites. I like Paradise City too but the lyrics of Civil War are deeper. Also Slash has very heavy guitar parts. It's not a love song either so it rocks. I admire Estranged or TIL love but don't outright enjoy like PC or Civil War or Madagascar or One in a Million.

CW also one where Axl's samples and quotes are really almost iconic. The whistling even works.

Also live when Axl got up about the drum riser with mic stand on Illusion tour that was epic part of show.

Nice freebird ending too.

Yet not that much love or as much as it deserves. Its either rockers like Jungle or gay ballads no offense.

Civil War is a total classic. You can play it to anyone and not be embarrassed. No suck down or romantic stuff. It's definitely the best of Axl n Slash.

I've realised over the years that this is one of my favorites. I like Paradise City too but the lyrics of Civil War are deeper. Also Slash has very heavy guitar parts. It's not a love song either so it rocks. I admire Estranged or TIL love but don't outright enjoy like PC or Civil War or Madagascar or One in a Million.

CW also one where Axl's samples and quotes are really almost iconic. The whistling even works.

Also live when Axl got up about the drum riser with mic stand on Illusion tour that was epic part of show.

Yet not that much love or as much as it deserves. Its either rockers like Jungle or gay ballads no offense.

Civil War is a total classic. You can play it to anyone and not be embarrassed. No suck down or romantic stuff. It's definitely the best of Axl n Slash.

I'm hoping English isn't your first language.

Great song, one of my favourites

He is actually an accomplished author

• Like 1

While I agree that Civil War is a great GNR song, with some outstanding licks from Slash and a great vocal delivery by Axl, I actually find the lyrics to be kind of a letdown from the music.

I consider Estranged to be the best song any of these guys ever played and while Civil War is certainly a true classic, to me it's not the ultimate GNR song. Actually, I think Rocket Queen is the epitome of the GNR sound.

Civil War DOES get a lot of credit for being a great sounding song, but I think most of the casual listeners don't even understand what it really means.

Some would think it has to do with the actual United States Civil War, when it has nothing at all to do with that. It's not even specifically about war in general, actually, although that is the focal point of the song.

Civil War actually refers to the "war" being waged on civilians by our own governments. War is a device used by the rich to make themselves richer. War and other scare tactics in general. This song is a statement against the rich fatcats of the government who are constantly pulling the wool over the eyes of the common man.

While I agree that Civil War is a great GNR song, with some outstanding licks from Slash and a great vocal delivery by Axl, I actually find the lyrics to be kind of a letdown from the music.

I consider Estranged to be the best song any of these guys ever played and while Civil War is certainly a true classic, to me it's not the ultimate GNR song. Actually, I think Rocket Queen is the epitome of the GNR sound.

I dont feel its the ultimate GNR but is more ultimate than Estranged which more of an Axl solo song with Slash onboard. CW is more GNR. Something like PC or RQ or CW is what they do best. Estranged might be that special song.

Disagree about lyrics completely. Axl is singing about something that matters. Not just fuck you bitch. Just words that are true and need to be said and really sung sadly like we shouldnt have to say this anymore. Then the frustration of that expressed in the vocals. Dylan level lyrics.

But Also think it's some of Slash's best work in Guns. Sure he did a good job for Axl but the balls he plays with on CW rock. Thats how i think of Slash really. Rockin out not playing elegiac melodies or whatever.

Nothing wrong with gay ballads.

Yeah, nothing wrong at all. It's just Slash's forte is hard rock. Mean bluesy riffs and solos. It's what he does best, but his other lyrical side is what made his playing so special:

His very melodic so the contrast between being able to rock, but still make it express something with a defined structure is really a big talent. In Safari Inn Slash gets to show he still got it: how it all flows and intensifies as the song progress with all the right notes hitting you it's great.

That's the element missing in new Guns, but not really missing, it's the shit only Slash can come up with and/or play.

IMO one of the band's best songs.

Not really a ballad, is it? I can't imagine slow dancing to it.

And why would it - or a ballad - be considered gay? Are you using the term gay as a negative connotation?

He is actually an accomplished author

I didn't know that. What has he published?

Its a great song, everything is perfect, I din't like it that much before, but now days I can relate to it cause of the things happening in this world. People can compare it with Chinese Democracy the song in terms of lyrics, even that is a big Fuck You to the people who are trying to dictate you or creating wars, but it would be dumb to compare.

Civil War in an epic song and CD is just an ordinary song which has ok lyrics.

Is there any other GNR song which has something to do with the government or dictators or things like that? Maybe One in a million? but I din't like that. I guess Out Ta Get me is also a song which comes under this theme, but its too appetitty, Civil War is an epic song.

Disagree about lyrics completely. Axl is singing about something that matters. Not just fuck you bitch. Just words that are true and need to be said and really sung sadly like we shouldnt have to say this anymore. Then the frustration of that expressed in the vocals. Dylan level lyrics.

Yeah, no. This post really fits with your username.
  • Like 1

Just my personal preference and how I see GNR from the beginning. I know theres this duel dimension. GNR do the best ballads and epics. But at the same time, not why I'm here kind of thing. But Estranged definitely my favorite, it's obviously amazing. But I feel more comfortable with CW, lyrically and more my idea of fun. I have no real inner turmoil or introspective romanticism to relate to it. But I totally respect how on Estranged and TIL they can make you feel those emotions you don't really experience.

But CW is more awesome, makes you feel good but also serious relatable not turn around bitch or "i remember the 80s". It's just a hard rock timeless classic.

I just found that CW rose to the top. It's all good you know.

Yeah, no. This post really fits with your username.
You either die a cupcake or live long enough to use my username against me in a court of law.

And why would it - or a ballad - be considered gay? Are you using the term gay as a negative connotation?

OP used the term gay ballad, And I like the ballads. So I mockingly said nothing wrong with gay ballads

Great great song! I've heard it described as a matured Guns N Roses song, so it would have been great if those guys stuck it out and stayed together!

I think it's definitely a song that makes people appreciate guns n roses even more. Most people now days forgot about it or never bothered listening to it. However I did hear it on the radio a few weeks ago, so it's not a completely forgotten work.

OP used the term gay ballad, And I like the ballads. So I mockingly said nothing wrong with gay ballads
this is GNR, gay means whatever Slash taught me it means.

this is GNR, gay means whatever Slash taught me it means.

Great great song! I've heard it described as a matured Guns N Roses song, so it would have been great if those guys stuck it out and stayed together!

I think it's definitely a song that makes people appreciate guns n roses even more. Most people now days forgot about it or never bothered listening to it. However I did hear it on the radio a few weeks ago, so it's not a completely forgotten work.

I feel like in rock circles its remember but not one of the big hits. But I think bcos of the quality and it benefited from full band involvement, even adler it is one of the best. If it was on AFD for example it would blow certain songs on side two away.

Ive just noticed the lyrics very cool. You cant trust freedom when its not in your hands. I remember hearing the lyrics and just thinking where did this come from? Axl was 25-8 when he wrote the lyrics?

Whole thing is very cohesive and rocking.

I think that was the problem though, Steven didnt grow up he just wanted or go hooked, Izzy seems just very self conscious about being pompous rock stars with a "message". Duff seemed more open to being thoughtful. Slash i think agreed with or like Axls lyrics but might have been more comfortable with Izzys.

I guess the next version of Civil was Chi dem, IRS or Madagascar. Maybe it wasnt lyrically or even vocal but more about the time and other directions other than hard rock Axl was interested in. But Slash did seem to want to ditch some of the excesses and go more straight ahead. When, where and how Axl comes up with such lyrics I dont know. Having guys say ah dont bother or lets do 4 minute rock songs, takes two weeks, might not play to Axls strengths. Once they got the results on UYI it must be hard to go back and dumb it down.

There are some great songs on UYI but only Civil War where I think it still has the AFD magic. YCBM is close but it seems kind of flat. The product works more on Nov Rain and Estranged. I like all the songs just Civil war lyrics and sound are more organic sounding and rangey.

Edited by wasted