Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

I'm half expecting some repudiation written in Axl's usual oblique manner. I believe there have been discussions between the two but this sort of Slash style media 'openness' terrifies the hell out of Axl. He will probably dismiss the talks and reconfirm his commitment to the new band.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I cannot wait for Axl to tweet out some shit and ruin everyone's hopes and dreams in less than 140 characters.

You don't sound bitter at all, that's really cool.
Bitter about being let down repeatedly over a 20 year period? What sort of a hater would even feel like that??

I'm half expecting some repudiation written in Axl's usual oblique manner. I believe there have been discussions between the two but this sort of Slash style media 'openness' terrifies the hell out of Axl. He will probably dismiss the talks and reconfirm his commitment to the new band.

That would be funny. Axl committed to a band where it's important pieces keep jumping ship.

Edited by Rustycage
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who fears that a reunited GNR maybe won't deliver. And I mean this purely musically, I'm not talking about social problems.

I liked Slash's stuff, I liked Izzy's and Duff's music, I liked VR - but nothing really fascinated me like old GN'R. Chinese Democracy was nearer to that standard for me personally, but didn't reach it either.

But now everybody is talking about the "chemistry" and the "magic" when the guys get together again, but this chemistry was last tested TWENTYFIVE years before.

Am I the only one who fears that a reunion might not live up to our hopes and expectations?

Edited by Schwarzgold
  • Like 1

Reunions very rarely do live up to expectation - it's a different musical landscape out there in 2015 - and let's be honest I'm not sure even a masterpiece would make treads in the 'social' world!

BUT if fans of Guns N' Roses, like you and me, get to see their heroes performing together again (even if it's just one last time) then that has to be a good thing right?!

The rest will take care of itself.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who fears that a reunited GNR maybe won't deliver. And I mean this purely musically, I'm not talking about social problems.

I liked Slash's stuff, I liked Izzy's and Duff's music, I liked VR - but nothing really fascinated me like old GN'R. Chinese Democracy was nearer to that standard for me personally, but didn't reach it either.

But now everybody is talking about the "chemistry" and the "magic" when the guys get together again, but this chemistry was last tested TWENTYFIVE years before.

Am I the only one who fears that a reunion might not live up to our hopes and expectations?

In the event that they do reunite and make an album expectations will be high. Expectations of the band making UYI or AFD again are unrealistic and go against the history of the band. I would say that they would try and jump off from where they left off in 95/96 and take it somewhere new, while still making a hard rock record.

As for live, I doubt that a reunited GnR show would be anything but great. Say what you want, but all of the guys are still playing great and Axl can still hit the notes, and he can muster up rasp from time to time too.

Keep expectations realistic and the chances of being disappointed are much smaller. Yes, the band haven't worked in 20+ years, that means they'll be 20+ yrs older since we saw them altogether. They won't have the same energy and fire, but it would definitely be a great show to see.

Like the VH and Faith no More reunion you just have to lower your expectations and just enjoy those things that they can do. A bit like the solo stuff. A solid hard rock record is about all we could expect. Imagine Axl singing on Automatic Overdrive, it might be awesome?

Just having Slash, Duff, Axl, Izzy, Steven play a few songs together would be awesome for a few shows. Make it a live album and we'd buy it. I think they should play live for a tour before they record anyway.

The dynamics would still be there. Slash is pretty prolific writing tunes and guitar parts with The Conspirators just now. Add an Axl overlay of quality control and you've got a winner. By the same token, Slash and Duff would probably present ideas that would inspire Axl musically and lyrically and things could move forward

Like the VH and Faith no More reunion you just have to lower your expectations and just enjoy those things that they can do. A bit like the solo stuff. A solid hard rock record is about all we could expect. Imagine Axl singing on Automatic Overdrive, it might be awesome?

Just having Slash, Duff, Axl, Izzy, Steven play a few songs together would be awesome for a few shows. Make it a live album and we'd buy it. I think they should play live for a tour before they record anyway.

A concert or series of concerts would live up to the expectations.

Example 1 - "That was the best concert ever!!!" - "Of course! It's true Guns N' Roses!"

Example 2 - "That sucked! Axl didn't show up!!!" - "Of course! It's true Guns N' Roses!"

An album seems a LOT less likely, given the history of the band and what tore them apart (with the exception of Izzy, who would probably be more comfortable with an album than a tour). But the best way they could work that out would be for each guy to submit 3 songs, and they all just go for it. The sound of each guy's solo work, but with Axl on vocals would be a good album. AFD level? No. Better than CD? Yeeeeeeeeeah buddy.