Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

Well, I'm curious to listen to the songs Robin, Buckethead and Brain helped to create too, regardless of their stage of completion. I just love those guys, they are very talented. But I would be much happier than frustrated if a reunion took place and put these songs into a limbo and at the risk of never getting released (not too different from the current situation, is it?).

I've been saying this for a while now (I'M AN INSIDER LOOK AT ME, KNEW THIS 9 MONTHS AGO) A reunion seems more likely than a new album from Axl. Unless Axl is forced to release something, the only GNR future I see is Axl touring either with real Guns or with his own band. He's too scared/lazy/crazy/ to release music ever again.

I would much rather have the current lineup (whatever that will be) release NEW music and tour that when it is fresh, than seeing the AFD or UYI lineup yet again tour old material.

if you prefer the "current line-up" of axl's backing band rather than guns n'roses coming back, what can i say ? you're not a gnr fan, dude.

Let me try it again and see if you get it this time: I would much rather have the current band release new music and tour it, than a reunion of the AFD or UYI lineups tour without releasing new music. That is not the same as preferring the current band over the old band. I would nothing more than the ability to travel back in time and actually see the old band play, say back in 1987. But listen to these guys emulate their youth by playing the same ol' songs out of context to kids just to get even more money? Nah, then I would much rather hear NEW and FRESH music from the current band.

What current band. This line up is over. 2 guitar players left. Next line up is going to emulate old Guns songs mostly and also emulate Chinese tunes.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I would much rather have the current lineup (whatever that will be) release NEW music and tour that when it is fresh, than seeing the AFD or UYI lineup yet again tour old material.

if you prefer the "current line-up" of axl's backing band rather than guns n'roses coming back, what can i say ? you're not a gnr fan, dude.

Let me try it again and see if you get it this time: I would much rather have the current band release new music and tour it, than a reunion of the AFD or UYI lineups tour without releasing new music. That is not the same as preferring the current band over the old band. I would nothing more than the ability to travel back in time and actually see the old band play, say back in 1987. But listen to these guys emulate their youth by playing the same ol' songs out of context to kids just to get even more money? Nah, then I would much rather hear NEW and FRESH music from the current band.

What current band. This line up is over. 2 guitar players left. Next line up is going to emulate old Guns songs mostly and also emulate Chinese tunes.

But hopefully also tour a new record of fresh GN'R songs, and that is the crucial difference for me.

Bingo. We never got to see the full album lineup from Chinese Democracy perform any of the songs live at any point in time. Even before the album was released we had Bucket and Finck but no Robin(who ended up contributing heavily to the album) then we had Finck and Robin with no Buckethead(arguably the "Slash" of the 21st century GNR) and even then we only ever got The Blues, Chinese Democracy, Silkworms, and Madagascar. One song of which isn't even included on the album, and the title track being consistently considered one of the weakest on the album.

Then in 2008 after the record was released, we had DJ Ashba, who is at no point featured on the album. That's when we add Sorry, Shackles, This I Love, Better, Catcher in the Rye, Scraped, and Prostitute to the setlist, but even so it was never the band that wrote and recorded the album.

I understand that with five guitarists and three drummers being featured on the album that it's impossible to have the true Chinese Democracy line-up on stage, but Bucket and Finck seem to be the key guitarists(I'm not sure which drummer had the most performance credits on the album but Brain is easily the most popular out of Freese and Frank).

Truth is at no point since the 2001 line-up has the band ever been genuine to the recording material. I can't imagine all the writing and performance credits that must plague most of the songs on this new album. It really kind of ruins a little bit of the charm when you're seeing performers in the new band that aren't of any more importance to the Chinese Democracy songs than the AFD ones.

Besides all of that there are now essentially three open positions in the last line-up we saw, and all three were the most important members of the new band, the lead guitarist, BBF who actually is featured on the album, and Tommy who has been the backbone of the band since the original break up. Pitman, Dizzy, Fortus, and Frank are all cool guys but they're just background noise.

I'd be happy with an album from the new line-up, but at this point it would be a self-defeating release with how unstable the touring group is. I'd rather put my cards into a reunion and at least get the chance to see the old band play their own songs together before they're all too old to pick up an instrument.

But hopefully also tour a new record of fresh GN'R songs, and that is the crucial difference for me.

So theoretically, it doesn't matter to you who will be the lead guitar player touring CD ll. Do you see my point?

Let's say Axl's main priority is to never stagnate artistically and not compromise the music for money. He cares about money, but maybe not at the expense of the music.

If he replaces Bumble and DJ with 2 unknown guitar players there won't be anytime imo for them to establish themselves as a real part of the band. DJ was 6 years in the band and never got to do so.

If he hires 2 known guitar players I and many others imo will not be able to relate to them as a real part of Gn'R. At this point, I don't think I need to explain why.

I think Axl can move forward with Slash in the band. Duff too, but Tommy is still in the band. There is a vacant spot for lead guitar player.

Axl wanted Slash to play on Chinese in 2001. Why can't he let Slash be a part of CD ll, that way it will be valid and pehaps even ideal.

I have no idea how Axl is going to approach it, but it's probably going to be interesting cause Axl's choices for replacements will reveal his intentions and some of his goals for Guns and it's future as he sees it.

Edited by Rovim

My cousin lives near Las Vegas and journalists and especially paparazzi claim they are creating a thriller in order to generate marketing in the music world and claim that classical training will meet for the world earlier this year with Matt Sorum on drums not Adler.

The tour has even name my friends ... It's all been planned since mid-2014! Yes .... A Guns producer heard from the mouth of own Axl last year that he would meet the Guns in the second half of the year... This was the stuff of Vegas magazine January 2014.

Did you cousin that lives in the desert knows the name of the tour?

So theoretically, it doesn't matter to you who would play CD ll live. Do you see my point?

Let's say Axl's main priority is to never stagnate artistically and don't compromise the music for money. He cares about money, but maybe not at the expense of the music.

If he replaces Bumble and DJ with 2 unknown guitar players there won't be anytime imo for them to establish themselves as a real part of the band. DJ was 6 years in the band and never got to do so.

If he hires 2 known guitar players I and many others imo will not be able to relate to them as a real part of Gn'R. At this point, I don't think I need to explain why.

I think Axl can move forward with Slash in the band. Duff too, but Tommy is still in the band. There is a vacant spot for lead guitar player.

Axl wanted Slash to play on Chinese in 2001. Why can't he let Slash be a part of CD ll, that way it will be valid and pehaps even ideal.

I have no idea how Axl is going to approach it, but it's probably going to interesting cause Axl's choices for replacements will reveal his intentions and some of his goals for Guns and it's future as he sees it.

I remember something about Slash being on 2 or 3 songs on the new record ?

edit: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-slash-song/

Such a perfectionist, in fact, that it might only be on the next Guns N’ Roses record that he’s finally ready to release a song that got its start way back during Slash’s tenure with the band. “Some of the stuff comes from nothing and some of the stuff were ideas that were already there,” Fortus explained. “Some of the stuff Slash did — it was the beginning of the seed of a song that’s been around for a while.”

Of course, given the amount of tinkering Rose tends to do with material, who even knows what “beginning of the seed” will mean for the final song, or if Slash will even be able to hear his own input in the end result. If nothing else, it’s yet another example of the fact that no Axl Rose track is released before its time … and only Axl knows when that time will come.

Edited by Russel Nash

So theoretically, it doesn't matter to you who will be the lead guitar player touring CD ll. Do you see my point?

Of course it matters to me who is the lead guitarist. I would like someone who can play the entire back catalogue, make them better, inspire the rest of the band, and be a force in writing new music and making sure the band progress forward.

Are you asking if Slash is this person? I doubt it.

Are you asking if Slash is this person? I doubt it.

Oh no, I know he is that person. Probably for the same reason Axl wanted him to play on Chinese in 2001. Fortus says in the interview above me from his workshop, that Axl has 3 albums worth of recorded material.

Axl added Bumble's input to Chinese after the album was already complete in the eyes of many.

Axl is not getting any younger, and he showed no real interest in creating music together with Bumble and Dj.

If Axl does hire 2 session players, will he use them in the studio? already got 3 albums of recorded material, so it's very possible they'll just be there to help with mostly live playing.

Slash can come in, add his input to those 3 albums of material, and when he tours behind it, Axl will get to keep his vision and maybe even improve it, and essentially find a solution to many current problems.

But he doesn't need Slash imo. He can just release CD ll and tour with 2 faceless guitar players and Fortus. That's more likely to happen imo. Either that, or he picks 2 known ones. It will get even more diluted and the line up will naturally be far more difficult to relate to imo.

Edited by Rovim

I've heard that you made friends with Axl Rose again.

So Slash wanted to be friends again? Always thought that is was Axl's fault....

Where was it said that Slash didn't want to bury the hatchet in the past?

it was always said that Axl was the one who did not want to be in touch with Slash

it was always said that Axl was the one who did not want to be in touch with Slash

And that is backed up by the new years gig, Axl turning his back on the Slash visit(attempt to fix the problems face to face), Axl stating Slash is a cancer, Axl saying that the less anyone hears of Slash and his fans the better.....etc

Are you trying to twist this interview into Slash being the unreasonable and stubborn one? lol

you are taking that the wrong way

i believe Slash has been willing to make amends for some time now...now Axl is finally coming around about it

You're talking like it's a fact a reunion would mean NO new music.

Dude there isn't even a current lineup of this band out there right now but you know you would rather hear new music from it than from the original guys. I think you're just tryin' too hard...

Btt: I really would like to know if Axl is aware of his new friendship with Slash and if he feels it's as cool as Slash thinks it is. I'm not saying Slash is lying but maybe he missunderstood some things that happened in the last two years.

Don't get me wrong guys, probably I'm the biggest reunionist here but I just don't think this interview proofs anything. Unfortunately.

I think the best idea would be to try and release an EP before or during any announcement of a reunion and tour. The pressure for the material wont be as much pre-reunion as it would be post.

Spend a few months, record some songs, get them sounding decent and release it digitally at the time of an announcement/live show. Keep it quiet until then and release it on disc a little later.

I'd hate to see the expectations of their record AFTER a reunion. It would never come out.

Edited by Rustycage

And that is backed up by the new years gig, Axl turning his back on the Slash visit(attempt to fix the problems face to face), Axl stating Slash is a cancer, Axl saying that the less anyone hears of Slash and his fans the better.....etc

Are you trying to twist this interview into Slash being the unreasonable and stubborn one? lol

no no...but now it looks like Slash is the person who is giving in, but in fact it is Axl...Slash said: I made friends with Axl , but in fact it is: Axl made friends with Slash again...just my interpretation

no no...but now it looks like Slash is the person who is giving in, but in fact it is Axl...Slash said: I made friends with Axl , but in fact it is: Axl made friends with Slash again...just my interpretation

I think it is bad interpretation.

Slash has not been silent about wanting to mend fences for a long time.

My cousin lives near Las Vegas and journalists and especially paparazzi claim they are creating a thriller in order to generate marketing in the music world and claim that classical training will meet for the world earlier this year with Matt Sorum on drums not Adler.

The tour has even name my friends ... It's all been planned since mid-2014! Yes .... A Guns producer heard from the mouth of own Axl last year that he would meet the Guns in the second half of the year... This was the stuff of Vegas magazine January 2014.

I was told this exact same thing....

I think it is bad interpretation.

Slash has not been silent about wanting to mend fences for a long time.

that is what I said

I misunderstood. It originally looked like you were saying that Slash was acting like he finally gave in for them to be friends again.

Confusing quote then.

I think the best idea would be to try and release an EP before or during any announcement of a reunion and tour. The pressure for the material wont be as much pre-reunion as it would be post.

Spend a few months, record some songs, get them sounding decent and release it digitally at the time of an announcement/live show. Keep it quiet until then and release it on disc a little later.

I'd hate to see the expectations of their record AFTER a reunion. It would never come out.

An EP would the absolute way to go.. Or another complete live album from back in the day and package it with the EP... For the EP they could let Axl pick one of the songs that Slash/Duff/Izzy and Matt did before VR and he could finish it. Then maybe do the same with one of the better songs Axl is working on... Maybe throw in a cover and a song from back in the day that they never released or something.

An EP would the absolute way to go.. Or another complete live album from back in the day and package it with the EP... For the EP they could let Axl pick one of the songs that Slash/Duff/Izzy and Matt did before VR and he could finish it. Then maybe do the same with one of the better songs Axl is working on... Maybe throw in a cover and a song from back in the day that they never released or something.

Yeah, a mix would be a great way to go. A couple of live take classics, some reworked demos from the old days, just a couple of new songs taken from anywhere and I think they'd be good to go. It's less pressure, something surprising for the fans to chew on along with the tour.

I think a tour and a record following it would be too testy. The expectations would make it another masterpiece that can't be lived up to.

Edited by Rustycage