Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

This is not going to be a popular post. You know how all from this forum, well most, say nobody outside the forum care for Ron or DJ. That everyone goes to see Axl. I think the same when it goes to Steven being the drummer. If Slash was back in GNR, and Steven wasn't, I hardly think the general public would care.I wouldn't! The media would go crazy and still call it a reunion. The tickets would be selling like hot cakes. I just want new music and a good tour. I am not a fan of Steven, and wouldn't want him back in the band. Some people might say , Axl, Izzy, Duff, Slash, Dizzy, and Frank. ..Frank! Again, the general public wouldn't make a big deal about it.

Steven can play drums,and if he cant handle some songs we have matt.

If we have 3 guitar players why can they have 2 drummers.

This is not going to be a popular post. You know how all from this forum, well most, say nobody outside the forum care for Ron or DJ. That everyone goes to see Axl. I think the same when it goes to Steven being the drummer. If Slash was back in GNR, and Steven wasn't, I hardly think the general public would care.I wouldn't! The media would go crazy and still call it a reunion. The tickets would be selling like hot cakes. I just want new music and a good tour. I am not a fan of Steven, and wouldn't want him back in the band. Some people might say , Axl, Izzy, Duff, Slash, Dizzy, and Frank. ..Frank! Again, the general public wouldn't make a big deal about it.

Steven can play drums,and if he cant handle some songs we have matt.

If we have 3 guitar players why can they have 2 drummers.

I'd rather have Brain and Frank.

The general public only cares about/wants Axl n Slash (and maybe Duff to a degree). The diehards want Duff, Izzy/Gilby and Steven/Matt. And I'd love a UYI type tour - bring back Tracy and Roberta, if they are gonna tour stadiums etc...lets get it right!

The general public only cares about/wants Axl n Slash (and maybe Duff to a degree). The diehards want Duff, Izzy/Gilby and Steven/Matt. And I'd love a UYI type tour - bring back Tracy and Roberta, if they are gonna tour stadiums etc...lets get it right!
I consider myself a diehard, traveled to see Guns 11 times, and I don't care about Steven or Matt. I get your point though.

one thing that is often overlooked - World _needs_ a monster-touring rnr band. There were the Sun and the Moon and The Rolling Stones. Then, 3 great bands coming out of that mold sort to speak (1st generation): AC/DC, Aerosmith and KISS.

Now, if we are talking about post-reunion, post-middle age, "legends rock on" type of touring, of grandiose proportions:

Rolling Stones - They just had to size it down because of their advanced age. Their run from "Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle" to say "50 and Counting" I don't think will ever be beaten.

AC/DC went on couple of phenomenal World-tours, handled success very well, but then Young's condition/retirement and that incident with their drummer, kind of stopped them in their tracks (they had a great run).

KISS had at least one (don't quote me on this, maybe 2 or more but at least one) great World tour, post-reunion. Just couldn't handle super-success, and 2 of the original members left. They are still successful, but not the same thing, not in the news.

Aerosmith never scaled it up that much I guess, so if thing with GnR doesn't work, sponsors can turn to them as their "Tigris of Gaul" ;-) I would much rather see GnR taking the spot.

Edited by Colossus of Rhodes

My thoughts? I don't think Axl's going to ditch any of the current lineup, save for maybe Tommy who would likely sit out of his own accord. So, IF this supposed reunion does go down, this is how I see it...

Axl

Slash

Duff

Izzy

Richard (backing up Slash & Izzy)

Frank

Dizzy

Chris

knock him if you want but i think Alder's drumming played more of part in GNR's sound than he gets credit for

real gritty and gave the songs that more of a edge

ideally i don't want any tag alongs from the current band replacing original members (especially if all the original members are down for it) ....thats a half ass reunion

Edited by -HollywoodRose-

Here would be an ideal tour:

Axl
Slash
Gilby
Duff

Adler (only on RQ and Brownstone)
Matt
Dizzy

Izzy can come and go as he pleases live wise
Bring back Tracy, Roberta and Teddy but only for select songs (Tracy N' Berta on Heaven's Door, Teddy on Bad Obsession)

Yeah, 95% would only care about seeing Axl and Slash. Id say the other 5 care about Izzy and Duff and thats it. No one will "not go" or complain because the drummer is not Steven or Matt or even Frank. People dont care. The face of the band is Axl, Slash and Duff. As long as you have that, everyone - including me -will call it a reunion.

As for the lineup, I suppose you guys are right about the hybrid config. I believe Axl would keep everyone who did not leave, except for Tommy - who, well, technically has left before, right?

Richard would certainly be the rythym guitarist and probably Izzy would show up sometimes.

Edited by ManetsBR

Yeah, 95% would only care about seeing Axl and Slash. Id say the other 5 care about Izzy and Duff and thats it. No one will "not go" or complain because the drummer is not Steven or Matt or even Frank. People dont care. The face of the band is Axl, Slash and Duff. As long as you have that, everyone - including me -will call it a reunion.

As for the lineup, I suppose you guys are right about the hybrid config. I believe Axl would keep everyone who did not leave, except for Tommy - who, well, technically has left before, right?

Richard would certainly be the rythym guitarist and probably Izzy would show up sometimes.

Exactly. If Axl, Slash & Duff are onstage together, no one would give a fuck if Bozo the Clown was on the drums, or keyboards, or 3rd backup guitar. Not to mention, Axl is big on loyalty. He's not gonna send anyone packing so he can cash in and sell the 3 extra tickets having Steven Adler onboard would sell.

Edited by sofine11

Exactly. If Axl, Slash & Duff are onstage together, no one would give a fuck if Bozo the Clown was on the drums, or keyboards, or 3rd backup guitar. Not to mention, Axl is big on loyalty. He's not gonna send anyone packing so he can cash in and sell the 3 extra tickets having Steven Adler onboard would sell.

Poor Steven though. How... I just feel he's like a kid that only has one wish and it's fucking him up cause he doesn't get to ever see it come true. That's not as shitty as watching all of them up there experiencing it while he's left out cause he's too unreliable.

It won't be right, he'll be crushed. If a reunion ever happens, Steven deserves to be there just as much as any of them if not more imo.

Too bad he couldn't keep his fuckin' mouth shut.

• Like 1

Hasn't Steven said in the last few years that he doesn't care about a reunion or Axl anymore tho? And that he's over it? Could be a load of bullshit, but I'm pretty sure he said he saw the HoF as the end of his relation to GnR. Maybe deep down he really feels different tho

Poor Steven though. How... I just feel he's like a kid that only has one wish and it's fucking him up cause he doesn't get to ever see it come true. That's not as shitty as watching all of them up there experiencing it while he's left out cause he's too unreliable.

It won't be right, he'll be crushed. If a reunion ever happens, Steven deserves to be there just as much as any of them if not more imo.

I have mad respect for Steven's work on Appetite, and think he's an incredible drummer. That said, I would imagine they all know that he's just too much of a wild card, and that ultimately, he might fuck this whole thing up for ALL OF THEM. Too much at stake, and too fragile as it is to throw in a lawyer-happy, known drug addict with a history of relapse. Not when Frank already knows all the songs and has been with Axl longer than Steven. No chance he won't be there.

Exactly. If Axl, Slash & Duff are onstage together, no one would give a fuck if Bozo the Clown was on the drums, or keyboards, or 3rd backup guitar. Not to mention, Axl is big on loyalty. He's not gonna send anyone packing so he can cash in.

I think you are wrong.. I have talked about this with quite a few of fans (in real life not online) and not one of them had said they would be happy with just Slash and Axl.. It was pretty much the same sentiment as on here. The Appetite line-up would be ideal but at minimum Slash/Axl/Duff would be acceptable. Everyone wants Izzy but knows he is a wildcard and surprisingly enough most people said they want Adler in there but just didn't think it would happen. There were also mentions of Gilby if Izzy couldn't do it. No one knows who Fortus, Frank or Pittman are. These are conversations I have had with friends, family and people from work the last few days. No one cares about Dizzy either way but assumes he will be there laying useless keyboard parts on songs like Nighrain.

As for Axl sending people packing. He really wouldn't have to. He could still keep his current band intact as his solo band to go back to when Guns aren't working.

If this was to happen, I think compromises would have to be made on both sides but I really can't see Slash, Duff and Izzy wanting to work with 3 guitarists and two keyboard players.. The keyboard thing would be a complete joke.. You don't even really need one never mind two.

Hasn't Steven said in the last few years that he doesn't care about a reunion or Axl anymore tho? And that he's over it? Could be a load of bullshit, but I'm pretty sure he said he saw the HoF as the end of his relation to GnR. Maybe deep down he really feels different tho

Are you serious. They have all said things.. Steven would jump at the chance.

I have mad respect for Steven's work on Appetite, and think he's an incredible drummer. That said, I would imagine they all know that he's just too much of a wild card, and that ultimately, he might fuck this whole thing up for ALL OF THEM. Too much at stake, and too fragile as it is to throw in a lawyer-happy, known drug addict with a history of relapse. Not when Frank already knows all the songs and has been with Axl longer than Steven. No chance he won't be there.

He definitely is a wildcard but he can still play and seems to be doing better than he has in a long time.. As for Frank.. I'd take anyone over him.. His take on the classics make me cringe.

Exactly. If Axl, Slash & Duff are onstage together, no one would give a fuck if Bozo the Clown was on the drums, or keyboards, or 3rd backup guitar. Not to mention, Axl is big on loyalty. He's not gonna send anyone packing so he can cash in.

I think you are wrong.. I have talked about this with quite a few of fans (in real life not online) and not one of them had said they would be happy with just Slash and Axl.. It was pretty much the same sentiment as on here. The Appetite line-up would be ideal but at minimum Slash/Axl/Duff would be acceptable. Everyone wants Izzy but knows he is a wildcard and surprisingly enough most people said they want Adler in there but just didn't think it would happen. There were also mentions of Gilby if Izzy couldn't do it. No one knows who Fortus, Frank or Pittman are. These are conversations I have had with friends, family and people from work the last few days. No one cares about Dizzy either way but assumes he will be there laying useless keyboard parts on songs like Nighrain.

As for Axl sending people packing. He really wouldn't have to. He could still keep his current band intact as his solo band to go back to when Guns aren't working.

If this was to happen, I think compromises would have to be made on both sides but I really can't see Slash, Duff and Izzy wanting to work with 3 guitarists and two keyboard players.. The keyboard thing would be a complete joke.. You don't even really need one never mind two.

Here's the thing. Everyone has their "ideal" idea what a reunion needs to be for them to be happy....And then there's reality. And then there's real logistics about what everyone, probably mainly Axl, needs to make it a reality. You can scoff at keyboard players and anyone else you feel is superfluous or undeserving in your eyes, but it doesn't change the fact that, like it or not, Axl will not simply cut them out of the picture to make rock purists in message boards or otherwise happy.

Axl is very loyal it seems. I'd say if Tommy wants to be there he will. But Tommy is classy in the sense that I can see him clearing the way just so Duff will be a part of it. Maybe I'm very naive and Tommy will never turn his back to the paycheck.

But I can't see Axl getting rid of any of them tbh. Not even putting them aside. Doesn't seem plausible to me.

So yeah: I can see two versions of Guns N' Slash:

Axl

Slash

Duff

Fortus/Izzy

Frank

Pitman

Dizzy

Or:

Axl

Slash

Tommy

Fortus/Izzy

Frank

Pitman

Dizzy

Maybe Axl will let Sorum, Gilby, and others do one offs and specific shows as guests.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

A reunion should be done right. If you have all members still alive from your most popular album then those guys need to be the reunion.

Don't complicate this. No special guest, just go back to basics, these guys started something let them finish it together. I think that would be more pro-Slash way of doing it. Who knows if Axl's even thought about it.

Axl is very loyal it seems. I'd say if Tommy wants to be there he will. But Tommy is classy in the sense that I can see him clearing the way just so Duff will be a part of it. Maybe I'm very naive and Tommy will never turn his back to the paycheck.

But I can't see Axl getting rid of any of them tbh. Not even putting them aside. Doesn't seem plausible to me.

So yeah: I can see two versions of Guns N' Slash:

AXL

Slash

Duff

Fortus/Izzy

Frank

Pitman

Dizzy

Or:

Axl

Slash

Tommy

Fortus/Izzy

Frank

Pitman

Dizzy

Maybe Axl will let Sorum, Gilby, and others to do one offs and specific shows.

Man, if this happens, Richard is going to have one amazing list of guitar players hes supported all in the same band over the last 13+ years. From Bucket to Slash. Full circle if there ever was one.

Adler should be there if only to play a few songs. If theyre worried about him relapsing or messing up or whatever, they have Sorum to take over. He was part of this band in the beginning so he should be there for the end (if that's the case). Same goes for Izzy, if he walks away (again) they still have Gilby. Do a full on reunion or don't do it. My hope is itll be UYI era with full crew (Tracy and Roberta, Teddy Zig Zag Big Bag Anderadis, the 976 Goils) but that's just me being nostalgic.

Man, if this happens, Richard is going to have one amazing list of guitar players hes supported all in the same band over the last 13+ years. From Bucket to Slash. Full circle if there ever was one.

I have a feeling Slash and Richard will hit it off if given the chance, and their style of playing seems to be a good fit.

Edited by Rovim

Steven is good as ever, he is doing shows with his band, he is spot on. I would like to see Matt too, but I would like to see more of Steven. I would like to see Steven At least playing once YCBM, I always wanted to see his take on that song.