How would you feel if Axl continued with NuGNR under a different name and then did a reunion with the old band?

Dimebag had an Ace Frehley tat and Alive did in the 70s what the Beatles on Ed Sullivan did in the 60s. Trent Reznor talked about the Alive poster. They did rip others off except for the look but it was because the NY Dolls were fucked up and Alice Cooper was doing less of the theatrical stuff, so they filled a void, but they had the songs, as cheesy as some of them were.

Influence is a different discussion than impact, imo.

KISS, as overrated as they are, appealed to a specific group of people. Plus, before the band even broke up, some of their cancelled gigs were due to poor ticket sales. Their impact was a lot more narrow. A niche market band where they're known for their makeup, pyro, simmons tongue and him spitting blood more than actual content. If we could go back and ask the mainstream to name a KISS tune, you would probably get one answer: I wanna Rock N Roll All night

GNR appealed to people all across the board. Head, prep, punk, metal, pop, rap. Everyone dug them. A lot more global. They crossed genres.

The appeal of Axl/Slash is a hell of a lot larger than Simmons/Stanley.

Look at the charts and the size of the tours. GNR by a mile.

As for influence regarding Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica, their sound obviously screamed black metal(Venom etc) more so than KISS.

Edited by Rustycage
  • Like 1

KISS, as overrated as they are, appealed to a specific group of people. Plus, before the band even broke up, some of their cancelled gigs were due to poor ticket sales. Their impact was a lot more narrow. A niche market band where they're known for their makeup, pyro, simmons tongue and him spitting blood more than actual content. If we could go back and ask the mainstream to name a KISS tune, you would probably get one answer: I wanna Rock N Roll All night

GNR appealed to people all across the board. Head, prep, punk, metal, pop, rap. Everyone dug them. A lot more global. They crossed genres.

As for influence regarding Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica, their sound obviously screamed black metal(Venom etc) more so than KISS.

I'm not sure I agree unless you are arguing about Kiss's influence outside North America. In their heyday, Kiss were absolutely massive in the United States - every bit as big as GN'R during their commercial peak c. 1991-1992. Guns N' Roses actually played some of the exact same venues on their Use Your Illusion tour as Kiss had played at their commercial peak around 1977-78, e.g. San Diego Sports Arena, Inglewood Forum and the Rupp Arena, etc. It is like for like if you are comparing both bands at their absolute peak in a live setting, at least in terms of America and Japan.

Studio wise I rather agree. Kiss never quite drummed up the sales GN'R did. For one thing, Kiss were never selling in all potential markets at once as Guns were doing - you could even argue that GN'R broke in the United Kingdom first. GN'R were also operating at the height of the record company CD boom and MTV. But Kiss certainly had their own broader based commercial breakaway songs such as 'Rock and Roll All Nite'; one of these songs ('Beth') even entered the Top 10. Additionally, If you put forth a list of ''greatest hard rock albums'' you will usually see Alive in the Top 20 along with Appetite.

I'm not sure I agree unless you are arguing about Kiss's influence outside North America. In their heyday, Kiss were absolutely massive in the United States - every bit as big as GN'R during their commercial peak c. 1991-1992. Guns N' Roses actually played some of the exact same venues on their Use Your Illusion tour as Kiss had played at their commercial peak around 1977-78, e.g. San Diego Sports Arena, Inglewood Forum and the Rupp Arena, etc. It is like for like if you are comparing both bands at their absolute peak in a live setting, at least in terms of America and Japan.

Studio wise I rather agree. Kiss never quite drummed up the sales GN'R did. For one thing, Kiss were never selling in all potential markets at once as Guns were doing - you could even argue that GN'R broke in the United Kingdom first. GN'R were also operating at the height of the record company CD boom and MTV. But Kiss certainly had their own broader based commercial breakaway songs such as 'Rock and Roll All Nite'; one of these songs ('Beth') even entered the Top 10. Additionally, If you put forth a list of ''greatest hard rock albums'' you will usually see Alive in the Top 20 along with Appetite.

KISS never crossed over genres the way GNR did in their peaks. Even in the US. If we have to go and minimize it to a live setting in a smaller market, what does that say for KISS? Excuses, excuses excuses. GNR did it in the time that rock was dying. Especially their brand of it.

Even the studio comparison is full of excuses. We aren't talking about what if's. We are discussing what DID happen.

GNR hit top 5 in every market but one with their last 4 albums.Top 10 in most of the markets with AFD. When compared to KISS, the global impact is heavily in GNR's favor. With or without the excuses. They don't matter. We are talking about the reality.

When people like to bring up their total albums sold, how often they neglect the constant recycling of old music that band does. The marketing for KISS has never been a problem. Coffin cooler, anyone? Their narrow appeal limited them in contrast to GNR. They tried and failed with their attempt at disco. Plus the fact that they aren't very talented and outside of the pyro and outfits, their live shows leave much to be desired. Cover bands do their music more justice.

GNR grabbed the metal and punk crowd with AFD and the raw tracks on UYI, and the pop crowd with songs like Patience and November Rain. The attitude and volatile behavior grabbed those not normally into rock. EVERYONE was watching because it was more than just makeup and fire(like KISS).

Back to the point that a GNR reunion can't play one show and go back to nugnr and expect the fans to just brush it off for the Axl Orchestra. Even 20 years later people consider GNR to have been Generation X's Rolling Stones. Could KISS ever carry that label? No way.

Just. WTF.

One thing i think GNR has, or doesnt have i should say, is a huge back catalog of released albums. And thats what seperates them from most reunited bands. I dont think they are tapped out creatively, and certainly not with each other. They werent together long enough to be. Their problem wasnt coming up with ideas for songs, it was not seeing eye to eye on where to take the next record. Which i dont feel would be as big of an issue nowadays. With Duff and Slash working together in VR with proven success, i think if u add Axl and Izzy to the mix, it becomes 100x better. Plus now that Slash knows kind of what Axl was going for back then, having now heard Chinese and with songs like Street of Dreams, TWAT, IRS, Catcher and even Madagascar not being that far out of the realm of UYI sounding material i think they could definitely pump out an amazing set of albums in the future if they do decide to work together again.

Edited by ChineseIRS

They probably have 20 songs they could bring to the set though that would be classic GNR. Which is what I was saying about them having as much material as Zeppelin.

They play Locomotive or Coma everyone will shut up.

• 3 weeks later...

Guns has more material than most people realize. Illusions and Chinese is equal to a combined 4-5 records from most other bands.

Kiss influenced huge hair metal bands like Megadave, Korn and Slayer. Dr Dre even said Gene inspired his business model for Beats and Compton.

I'd say they were at least as big as Weezer.

I honestly couldn't care less what band name music is released under. I would buy a new Axl album under any name.

I think it's obvious that anything without the original guys would be received far better under Axls name. I would definitely go to see an Axl Rose solo show, he'd obviously still play some old Guns songs too, much like what Slash does now. I think both could co-exist.

It wouldn't make much sense to continue new GNR with a new name. The whole point of new GNR was that it was supposed to be Guns N' Roses. What would be the point in having two separate bands that are supposed to be the same. If Axl wants to have a side project, it would make more sense if the other band made different kind of music. Axl once said that if he released a solo album, it would be a lot more instrumental than Chinese Democracy.

So yeah, if Axl decided to make new GNR a different band, it would make sense if that band released the kind of music that Axl would do if he went solo.

How would I feel?

I'd be okay with it. I like The DLR Band more than VH.

I feel like it would give Axl more creative freedom, less pressure. You know Axl and Pitman synth duo, The Gun Shop Boys. Cover West End Girls and Closer and hit discos in europe hard.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

If they need to have an album to tour in support of, then it should be some of the leftover illusion era stuff, plus a few songs that they did solo rerecorded with the classic line up, plus maybe 2 or 3 "new" things just to not make it a complete vault recorded like Van Halen's last one.

They can't go out and write a new record from scratch, that takes Axl way to long, thats why I feel this is the best compromise. They had 5 or 6 illusion era stuff that could really use a proper release; bring it back home, Indiana ain't my kind of town, it tastes good, ain't going down, and maybe some 96 session stuff we don't know about. Then if you add this I love, twat, fall to pieces, slither, Izzy song, slash song, a couple of unreleased Axl songs, boom theirs the album. It wouldn't be all that hard to make because the old stuff and the solo stuff would be basically like cover songs to them at this point. The only real work would have to go into the 3 or 4 new songs.

I know people would bitch about having then rerecord this I love, twat, fall to pieces, slither, etc. But it would make them official gnr songs to add to the reunion set list. Plus slash would make those CD songs better and Axl would make those VR songs better. Imagine Axl in Slither, it would almost have a YCBM type feel to it then. Plus Aerosmith did something similiar with their reunion album, they redid Let The Music Do The Talking, which was a Joe Perry solo song and it ended up being the best song on that album. So it's not completely unheard of.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Lol at the idea of axl doing anything which requires even one iota of effort.

Yeah, it appears as if he decided to abandon the trademark at around the same time that he abandoned his career as a musician. Are we sure he's still alive?

Edited by slim26

How would I feel?

I feel like it would give Axl more creative freedom, less pressure. You know Axl and Pitman synth duo, The Gun Shop Boys. Cover West End Girls and Closer and hit discos in europe hard.

Every show opens with a meaner, darker version of Jump.

How would I feel?

Every show opens with a meaner, darker version of Jump.

Closes with Personal Jesus. Axl Rose joins SexTapes for album and tour.
  • Like 1