Jeremy Corbyn: Labour Leader

Len Cnut

Didn't follow this too closely as I'm not a Labour member (though almost am). Happy enough with this result, though I miss Ed Miliband being in my life. In the same way I miss Ugne from Bake Off.

Baaaaaaahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhhahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

?

Don't worry, you need to have attended private school to be able to translate Tory gibberish.

:P

It can only benefit the Conservatives who only need to sit back with their feet up and watch Labour tear themselves apart in a fratricidal war between Corbyn's supporters and the Blairites. As I said before, the Blairites are now far closer to the Tories ideologically.

PS

Heck, Corbyn makes Ed Balls look right wing and Ed Balls is not even considered a 'Blairite'!!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Corbyn is essentially a 'Bennite', i.e. hard left. He is recycled Tony Benn. In that, he is actually to the left of Old Labour while he makes New Labour, both Brownites and Blairites (not that there is much ideological difference), look like the Nazi party; people like Miliband, Jacqui Smith and Hazel Blears have absolutely nothing in common with him. I cannot see any other outcome than a Labour party tearing itself a part and consequentially awarding the Tories control of the Commons for the considerable future - certainly until he is ousted.

Unless of course Corbyn suddenly discovers some hidden centerist tendencies we all didn't know about!

A person that far left is un-electable in England. It is as simple as that. I mean, 'reopening the mines'. Can you imagine modern Brits working in mines today? They would be wilting in the grime and heat, complaining that they cannot get a mobile signal or broadband down in the mine shafts haha, complaining that working down mine shifts ''infringes on their yuman rights'' and their ''elf n' safety'' etc

Basically everybody got rich and fat during the Thatcher/Blair. There is no going back to the militancy and class hatred of the mid 1970s.

• Like 2

Thoughts?

Who is Jeremy Corbyn?

Like I'm supposed to have heard of him, I'm 28! - Who is he? - John Major was the first politician I ever heard of, back when he was the PM, John Corbyn? - Strikes me as Ken Livingstone and stuff like that, but IDK.

Maybe Tony Blair was trying to warn us, so he doesn't face war crime charges which'll probably happen if Corbyn comes to power!? - and they're the same party! ? -, IDK, seems like a radical.

Last Night Of The Proms is on tonight. It would be interesting to do a survey of how many people are there who also went to Wimbledon, The Chelsea Flower Show, The Henley Regatta, The Oxford and Cambridge boat race and an England Rugby match at Twickers. Should be ppv I reckon because it's a load of fucking bollocks from where I'm sitting I'm going out for a fag.

• Like 1

Returning to the fact he is far left of Old Labour itself, I'm sure he would have been in the Communist party if he had been active in the 1920s or 1930s. Then again, Tony Benn was Labour and routinely despised by the rest of his party (''..he is a king of ageing perennial youth...he immatures with age'' - Harold Wilson). If you look at the Labour leaders who obtained the Premiership - MacDonald, Attlee, Wilson - none of them could exactly be described as loopy left (or even 'to the left' of their own party), and then again, if you look at the New Labour project you immediately surge further right.

As I said, he is a Bennite. It would be the equivalent of Tony Benn heading the Labour party instead of Wilson. The difference is, now we are obsessed with centerist politics, the era of touchy feely Tories, beige Pimms drinking Labour MPs and identikit PM candidates; all politicians are obsessed with the middle ground and establishing this middle class - uncommitted, non-extreme, appealing to everybody - image. Corbyn, I expect, is not that.

In a way, he is the antithesis of Blair, but the problem here is, many in his party are advocates of Blairism and the population of England seemed to have moved on from class divisive politics. In his defense, he does have at least two policies which immediately appeal to English voters,

- Withdrawal from the EU

- Abolishing tuition fees

There is also an anti-American implication (pro-Palestine, withdrawal from NATO) which may appeal to those fed up with the thoroughly one-sided 'special relationship'.

Edited by DieselDaisy

now we are obsessed with centerist politics, the era of touchy feely Tories, beige Pimms drinking Labour MPs and identikit PM candidates; all politicians are obsessed with the middle ground and establishing this middle class - uncommitted, non-extreme, appealing to everybody - image.

the population of England seemed to have moved on from class divisive politics.

Reminds me of this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17b3nc_the-century-of-the-self-eight-people-sipping-wine-in-kettering-4_news

(think I may have posted it before)