Is the CD-era over?

There really is no incentive for Axl to put out any more ChiDem stuff as he makes his money from touring so I can't see him not touring again.

Axl said the art comes first. I believe him. The incentive is to release the second half of what he worked years on. I don't believe he'll just abandon it entirely.

Maybe he'll add Slash and Duff, who knows. But I think he'll want to realize his musical vision eventually.

ha CD era as if there ever was one...besides 2002 which lasted all of 2 months

Agreed. All those epic 2006/2007/2010 shows and the album itself and another ready to go is not enough to be called the Chinese era. From Bucket to Bumble and everything in between was not an era, and it wasn't Chinese.

Edited by Rovim

Bumblefoot was just barely on that record, Ashba wasn't on it at all, 4tus contributed a fractional amount... he toured it countless times before it was released, you'd think the 09/10 tour would have been enough, it was a brilliant tour and rock in rio is when CD ended for me, but obviously Axl had other, nefarious and lackluster ideas...

First it was a 'trilogy',

"If Mr. Rose appeared more remote, his vision of the project became more grandiose, people involved with the band said. [...] He now spoke of releasing not merely one album but a trilogy. And he planned one very big surprise." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

the plan is to drop the record, have a bunch of extra tracks, about a year or so down the road drop another record and drop a third record. This is a three-stage thing and we'll be touring for a real long time."

"One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

Then a 'double',

Axl: "For now, we'll concentrate and keep our focus on this album, but I will say I've always thought of it as a double. (Dexter chats)

Axl pulls this stuff out of his arse.

Or maybe with all that time, money, musicians and a healthy appetite for tinkering he reconsidered which songs made the cut.

I've been looking for the trilogy quote forever.

It's possible there is an album of electronica songs with full guitars. Then there's got to be Bucket material or just pushed the envelope too far stuff. Then there's the remix album which may have replaced that.

There were 26 songs that were finished in 2006? That leaves 12 more songs and we have confirmed titles of those songs and snippets of info about most. there's a few Beltrami did orchestration for. So these aren't throw away tracks. Bach talked about The General as a heavy song, Soul Monster is related to Black Sabbath, Zutaut saw Atlas Shrugged as a single and Brian May did a solo Ron replaced. Berlin is Oklahoma, about Erin's lawyers being out to destroy him. We know of Oh my god, Silkworms, Going Down. A Fortus track he's been working on most recently that uses an old Slash riff. Theres the Dj n Axl song. Seven, Zodiac, Ides of March, Thyme all confirmed.

But we know Axl has said he finds it hard to let go. His quote to Del says it all "Depends how you look at it" it's never really finished you just have release it eventual, or not.

This has all been done for a while. So the time to release the second half is closer. If Slash agrees to solos and a tour the label might even throw down chopper money.

"If Mr. Rose appeared more remote, his vision of the project became more grandiose, people involved with the band said. [...] He now spoke of releasing not merely one album but a trilogy. And he planned one very big surprise." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

the plan is to drop the record, have a bunch of extra tracks, about a year or so down the road drop another record and drop a third record. This is a three-stage thing and we'll be touring for a real long time."

"One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

Then a 'double',

Axl: "For now, we'll concentrate and keep our focus on this album, but I will say I've always thought of it as a double. (Dexter chats)

As a die-hard fan of Axl Rose, it's so sad to read those statements from him.

He went from saying they would release three albums and a bunch of B-sides over a pretty short time period...........to................just one album, and no new album in sight?

Sad.

Bumblefoot was just barely on that record, Ashba wasn't on it at all, 4tus contributed a fractional amount... he toured it countless times before it was released, you'd think the 09/10 tour would have been enough, it was a brilliant tour and rock in rio is when CD ended for me, but obviously Axl had other, nefarious and lackluster ideas...

Bumble was on every track. What the fuck Randall? and we only got half. Fortus said he joined too late to make his presence truly felt on Chinese. Still that chorus riff he came up with for Better demonstrated his ability to mingle well with Bucket and Robin on a musical level and Axl actually used a 4tus idea, success!

Most of Axl's ideas he executed have much luster on them imo. For Chinese he had some brilliant ones. One bad show was the end for you huh? He had horrid shows back in old Guns as well. He came back to show some sparks with Prostitute in Vegas 2014.

Nothing has changed, cause the only important member to the vast majority of fans is still Dizzy Reed.

Edited by Rovim

Anyway, unless he actually calls the next album CD2, the CD era is definitely over and has been since 2008-9.

He said it's not going to be called "CD ll". The name doesn't change the music.

If the root of a song is CD-era but none of the musicians from that era are on the song, I would say it's just Axl bringing in his ideas to the table but it's no longer gonna be a Chinese era song.

Axl said it's the same players that were on Chinese when he talked about the unreleased material. Since then, a lot has changed, 3 members left and there is a Duff and Slash situation.

I have no idea what Axl will do next, but honestly I trust him only release an album that represents where he's at artistically. He tinkers his way to the present, he has no problem of adding the newly hired guitar player to an already finished album like he did with Chinese and Bumble.

So he added Bumble, but won't add Slash if they're friends again and Slash is interested?

Problem is he's very unpredictable and he has many options at his disposal. Nothing is set in stone cause he never gave a release date. Just said CD ll was done for a while now.

Your first point is exactly what I'm getting at, and I'm not convinced he would just replace or add Slash/Duff's parts to existing songs because Slash certainly isn't the same kind of player as Robin or Bucket, so I'd think the songs would be stripped down and then Slash/Duff would add parts but it likely would end up sounding pretty different than whatever Axl had built around said rhythm in the mid-2000's, if that makes sense.

Basically if Slash/Duff are in fact back in the band, I don't imagine a lot of paul/robin/bucket/bumble on any future album unless the reunion is a 'tour-only' scenario, I think Axl would present his piano melodies and re-build the songs from there unfortunately.

Bumble was on every track. What the fuck Randall? and we only got half. Fortus said he joined to late to make his presence truly felt on Chinese. Still that chorus riff he came up for Better demonstrated his ability to mingle with Bucket and Robin on a musical level.

Most of Axl's ideas he executed have much luster on them imo. For Chinese he had some brilliant ones. One bad show was the end for you huh? He had horrid shows back in old Guns as well. He came back to show some sparks with Prostitute in Vegas 2014.

Nothing has changed, cause the only important member to the vast majority of fans is still Dizzy Reed.

He was on every track but to what extent was he involved ya know, that's what I'm driving at, he was ON the record but... he wasn't particularly involved or used. I think many of Axl's performances from recent years have been stellar and said as much but I have always held the thought he is a ghost going through the motions, fearful and reluctant to progress, we see classics or nu-classics being dusted off as progress, that's just a damn shame and he's lost two of the members he didn't even effectively use or attempt to use, it's real sad.

I always point to an interview a member here did with BBF where he was asked about the status of Atlas, he replies, he played a solo on it but has heard nothing since then.

Also, there's the interviews where he explains he played solos not even knowing what the tracks effectively sounded like as a whole! We know how much BBF cared and the supreme talent and potential he had to offer and waning enthusiasm... we can thank him for setlist changes, Axl... it's just a very sad and slow process he progresses with, it used to be mysterious, it's just mystifying now.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Then a 'double',

Or maybe with all that time, money, musicians and a healthy appetite for tinkering he reconsidered which songs made the cut.

I've been looking for the trilogy quote forever.

It's possible there is an album of electronica songs with full guitars. Then there's got to be Bucket material or just pushed the envelope too far stuff. Then there's the remix album which may have replaced that.

There were 26 songs that were finished in 2006? That leaves 12 more songs and we have confirmed titles of those songs and snippets of info about most. there's a few Beltrami did orchestration for. So these aren't throw away tracks. Bach talked about The General as a heavy song, Soul Monster is related to Black Sabbath, Zutaut saw Atlas Shrugged as a single and Brian May did a solo Ron replaced. Berlin is Oklahoma, about Erin's lawyers being out to destroy him. We know of Oh my god, Silkworms, Going Down. A Fortus track he's been working on most recently that uses an old Slash riff. Theres the Dj n Axl song. Seven, Zodiac, Ides of March, Thyme all confirmed.

But we know Axl has said he finds it hard to let go. His quote to Del says it all "Depends how you look at it" it's never really finished you just have release it eventual, or not.

This has all been done for a while. So the time to release the second half is closer. If Slash agrees to solos and a tour the label might even throw down chopper money.

• Like 1

8 years between releases. Give or take a few years and Slash and Duff but yes, It looks like I might just use my ticket soon. We gun ride. Final round? Infinite reasons to love Axl Rose.

We're not living Vegas.

He was on every track but to what extent was he involved ya know, that's what I'm driving at, he was ON the record but... he wasn't particularly involved or used. I think many of Axl's performances from recent years have been stellar and said as much but I have always held the thought he is a ghost going through the motions, fearful and reluctant to progress, we see classics or nu-classics being dusted off as progress, that's just a damn shame and he's lost two of the members he didn't even effectively use or attempt to use, it's real sad.

I always point to an interview a member here did with BBF where he was asked about the status of Atlas, he replies, he played a solo on it but has heard nothing since then.

Also, there's the interviews where he explains he played solos not even knowing what the tracks effectively sounded like as a whole! We know how much BBF cared and the supreme talent and potential he had to offer and waning enthusiasm... we can thank him for setlist changes, Axl... it's just a very sad and slow process he progresses with, it used to be mysterious, it's just mystifying now.

Get used to it cause I really don't see it ever changing. That's just how he rolls.

Basically if Slash/Duff are in fact back in the band, I don't imagine a lot of paul/robin/bucket/bumble on any future album unless the reunion is a 'tour-only'

No Robin and Bucket on CD ll would be a devastating blow and a betrayal punishable by death. On one hand.

I guess Slash and Duff can potentially make it all better but it's in the bag so why not first release it as is and then move forward with Slash and Duff?

Edited by Rovim

There really is no incentive for Axl to put out any more ChiDem stuff as he makes his money from touring so I can't see him not touring again.

Axl said the art comes first. I believe him. The incentive is to release the second half of what he worked years on. I don't believe he'll just abandon it entirely.

Maybe he'll add Slash and Duff, who knows. But I think he'll want to realize his musical vision eventually.

I hope you are right Rovim because even though I was underwhelmed by ChiDem I am always interested in hearing Axl's music.

Considering it seems he did not even want to release ChiDem I am not so optimistic. :shrugs:

I hope you are right Rovim because even though I was underwhelmed by ChiDem I am always interested in hearing Axl's music.

Considering it seems he did not even want to release ChiDem I am not so optimistic. :shrugs:

I can understand that. But I am. He knows he's getting old, and he's not a fool. He will go for it. Maybe he'll fail, maybe it will be pathetic, but he never failed me personally as a fan before when it comes to what is of the highest importance which is the music.

Plus he said very recently that he's not going anywhere which I liked cause if I'm being allowed to read into it too much, it showed he's still interested. Still in the game.

Edited by Rovim

Axl can do the reunion tour, and after that, release the CD era material as a solo project ( I have no idea if he can do that legally-release material which was written and recorded by others-so don't hate me :P )
Personally, I would love to hear the unreleased material.However, if a reunion happens and it's only for a tour, and then Axl release the CDII, it would be bad to tour it under the GNR name.

The ball is in Axl's field. Both for reunion and CDII

Axl can do the reunion tour, and after that, release the CD era material as a solo project ( I have no idea if he can do that legally-release material which was written and recorded by others-so don't hate me :P )

Personally, I would love to hear the unreleased material.However, if a reunion happens and it's only for a tour, and then Axl release the CDII, it would be bad to tour it under the GNR name.

So can we really lose? we'll get something more, no matter what. Beggars can't be choosers. About 7 years left to move forward with Guns. We'll see if Axl uses those years wisely and with integrity.

It becomes a balancing act, and he's not a very good juggler. He's in the middle of Chinese, and Slash and Duff are the real x factor, not a full reunion, but maybe I'm way off.

But in case I'm not, then there is a dissonance between the theme of Chinese and Slash and Duff. It all depends on how Axl sees it and if he can or what he can rationalize for himself as an artist.

The ideal way imo will be to release CD ll first, then take a little time to figure out how he'll wanna present it and how he'll incorporate Slash and Duff in his music again, if that's what he chooses to do.

Edited by Rovim

So can we really lose? we'll get something more, no matter what. Beggars can't be choosers.

The fact is that I won't be dissapointed no matter which Axl's decision is-unless he announce his retirement but I think it's a bit early for him..So I guess we need "just a little patience"

The fact is that I won't be dissapointed no matter which Axl's decision is-unless he announce his retirement but I think it's a bit early for him..So I guess we need "just a little patience"

We need more music. We need a release date at least. We need to know who's in the line up. We need to know what's the real album title of CD ll is. We need psychiatrists. We need another drink. We need a lot of things. We don't need the maid as the manager. We need Cage.

But most of all, It's not patience that we need. It's awareness. That Axl is not ever going to change. Not ever. At least not in a big, sweeping way. Then we need to draw our conclusions from there.

Edited by Rovim

We need more music. We need a release date at least. We need to know who's in the line up. We need to know what's the real album title of CD ll. We need a lot of things. We don't need the maid as the manager. We need Cage.

But most of all, It's not patience that we need. It's awareness. That Axl is not ever going to change. Not ever. At least not in a big, sweeping way. Then to draw our conclusions from there.

Agreed 101% Rovim , but as you said,Axl is not ever going to change.So, patience is the only way ;)

Agreed 101% Rovim , but as you said,Axl is not ever going to change.So, patience is the only way ;)

Percentages may fall. I've since then took the liberty to edit my post to better reflect my thoughts on this matter. Made some significant changes.

Edited by Rovim

I don't think CD II is as focused as CD. From what we've heard about each track it's all over the place. Most of the songs on CD you can do live. I wonder if CD II has a few more orchestral pieces or longer songs which would mean less songs. Could more like a UYI II type album with previously heard stuff, cool filler and a couple of classics (Atlas and The General).

Are they trying to add songs to it so it's stronger? Include Ballad of Death, Better remix, Goin' Down, Fortus/Slash song.

Percentages may fall. I've since then used my liberty to edit my post to better reflect my thoughts on this matter.

I saw the edit, percentages didn't fall. We are here to share opinions, and I found yours right,i see your point and totally agree :) Thank God, I can enrich my views and opinions here while seeing other ideas :)

• Like 1

I don't think CD II is as focused as CD.

I totally disagree. Axl talked about this if you remember. Always looking at it as a double suggests a cohesive work. Can we really care after Illusions? I'm not even sure Chinese was that cohesive. 3 cohesive mini albums that connect cohesively with one another.

I've never seen anything to suggest he didnt want to put it out?

He said it wasnt finished until they swapped out a version of a song at the last minute. He agree to the BB and handed in the album. Said he was happy with it. But the release was botched by Azzoff. The booklet and certain promo ideas that they had were overlooked.

I can imagine Axl not wanting to put it out. But I havent seen him say that. Seems like he had an idea why CD should exist and that drove him. That CD II is part of that gives me hope it will get released. But material for material's sake doesn't seem like his style.

But can definitely see a petulance. Like something goes wrong, I'm not releasing it!

He not desperate.