Is the CD-era over?

In the last 6-12 months we have had a lot of rumours regarding the current status of GN'R.

Confirmed:

- DJ Ashba is out

- Ron is out.

- Richard Fortus saying 'if I'm out its news to me'

- Tommy Stinson 'wants to see the reunion of the old line-up'

Rumours:

- Slash and Axl have reconnected.

- Original GN'R to tour in 2016/17.

A comment I have seen a lot of here is that the refusal to address to Original GNR reunion rumours by Axl is a solid indication that this is actually going ahead. I actually tend to agree with this, as only within the last year or two, any time there has been any talk of reunion to Axl he has immediately shot it down.

With that - do you think this is finally the end of the CD-era?

Personally, I would still absolutely love to hear CD2. The whole mystique around Chinese Democracy was one of the reason I got into this band in 2004. For me, Chinese Democracy wasn't a failure at all; it wasn't the roaring success that the naive optimist in me hoped it could be, but by no means a failure. I do hope for an original Guns reunion now the wheels have seemingly fallen off the Nu-GNR bandwagon, but I really do hope we get to hear the fruits of Axl's labour from the years circa 97-2014.

• Like 1

I personally would have loved to have had CD II in 2012-2013 when the band was touring strong and there actually was an air of things are in the works. Today, New Guns and CD are dead in the water and will most likely be shelved. Any reunion, as cool as it will be, would be hitting the nail on that coffin.

Edited by Bumblefeet

The CD era was over when the album was released with no band to promote it. What we're talking about now is the Vegas era, which we can only hope is over. There's more chance of CD2 being released with Ashba and Bumblefoot out of the band than there was with them in it.

You're somewhat right there I think, though I don't think anything of substance was done post 02-03...the 06/07 tour seemed like a return at the time but IMO it was actually the farewell to any actual hope of Axl's GNR being it's own thing.

Supposedly CD II was rejected in 2010. I believe all rumors.

To counter that Axl never comments on anything until 10 years later.

Dj n Ron might have left because CD II is coming and only Fortus is on it with Finck n Bucket or rerecorded Ron parts. Tommy has said he wants to put out new music. So Dj n Ron leaving might not signal the end of CD era just the start of the Fortus n Pitman era. Silkworms is Dizzy and Pitman jam.

In the last interview Axl did he said CD II and remix. But then the acient aliens came and abducted Dj and Tommy.

• Like 1

The CD era was over when the album was released with no band to promote it. What we're talking about now is the Vegas era, which we can only hope is over. There's more chance of CD2 being released with Ashba and Bumblefoot out of the band than there was with them in it.

You're somewhat right there I think, though I don't think anything of substance was done post 02-03...the 06/07 tour seemed like a return at the time but IMO it was actually the farewell to any actual hope of Axl's GNR being it's own thing.

It was fucked up from the begining. Crazy idea from Axl to call GN`R something it was just his solo project. Some fans were against it from day one. Then others, as time went by saw that there was no brilliant future ahead for NuGN`R with all the delays and revolving door band members and managers. When CD came out it didn`t live up to the hype

• Like 2

But CD was Axl's attempt to struggle on. It chronicles all the late 90s fall out. There's hardly any songs about how he's going to take over the world. There's a bit of defiance on Chi dem, Riad or Shacklers but mostly he's trying to rationalize why these people left him. So in a way CD was just about saying we did you leave? Axl didn't want Izzy or Slash or anyone to leave but he had to struggle on in isolation. That's what people don't like about it, it's a bit woe is me, let me rap about my problems and my tragic love life? It's not songs bragging about taking drugs and bitch slapping chicks so Axl is whining. But it was true to what he experience I guess. I understand why he didn't throw out loads of mediocre albums as GNR. He just wanted to put out one or two quality ones.

• Like 1

But CD was Axl's attempt to struggle on. It chronicles all the late 90s fall out. There's hardly any songs about how he's going to take over the world. There's a bit of defiance on Chi dem, Riad or Shacklers but mostly he's trying to rationalize why these people left him. So in a way CD was just about saying we did you leave? Axl didn't want Izzy or Slash or anyone to leave but he had to struggle on in isolation. That's what people don't like about it, it's a bit woe is me, let me rap about my problems and my tragic love life? It's not songs bragging about taking drugs and bitch slapping chicks so Axl is whining. But it was true to what he experience I guess. I understand why he didn't throw out loads of mediocre albums as GNR. He just wanted to put out one or two quality ones.

Yeah but what if Jimmy page on drums

I still think we will see CD 2 of sorts, but not as it was originally intended. Which in all honesty may be a good thing. What I mean is, if there is indeed a reunion, and any new music comes from it, then bet your ass the best of CD2 ends up on it, but with Slash and Duff adding their influence, which can only be a good thing imo. Also let me add, I have said this before and I'll say it again, I believe the best (for the most part) of the CD sessions were released on CD. Perhaps Axl kept a couple of big guns in the can, but for the most part, I would say we have already heard the best music nugnr could create. So had CD2 actually been released with Ron or Ashba, I firmly believe it would have been Gnrs weakest album to date. Given all the rumors pointing to it being rejected, or producers saying Axl has "two or three good songs" I just don't think a true nugnr CD2 would have been a quality album (except for maybe a song or two).

So having said that, if gnr does a reunion and any new music ever comes from it, then I firmly believe we will be better off as fans. The best of the CD leftovers will be on any new album, as well as new Slash and Duff songs. As a true gnr fan, this sounds like the more exciting scenario imo.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

If they are back together as band mates, its highly probable that Axl will hand "The General" and the rest of his tunes to Slash to lay his shit down on, just like he did for the Illusions songs he wrote. It could be a good start for them both and establish if there is chemistry to write an album.

Duff & Slash may have a load of VR stuff to hand to Axl while Izzy probably has tons of shit to jam out with Duff & Slash which in turn could go on to Axl as finished tunes.

It would be the easiest way to get an album done. Just let each guy do his shit, don't judge each other too harshly, let the juices flow and put it out there.

There really is fuck all to loose at this stage.

I would still love the old line up to do an acoustic album together. Never going to happen though.

Edited by Intercourse

I didn't read the entire OP. Stopped at "Ashba." Why is he being mentioned?

CD era ended when Buckethead left. Something I found funny was the fact that the album, released four years after his departure, featured him. It also featured Robin Finck, Brain and Freese, people who were not in the band anymore. :lol:

What a fucking mess Chinese Democracy is.

• Like 1

Depends how you define CD-era. Personally I believe that Slash and Duff are returning to GNR and then they'll release CD2. So it's not exactly the end of the CD era.

lol

CD era is over btw

You really think that Axl's never gonna release the songs he's been working on all these years? Wanna bet?

Do you actually think that Slash or Duff would go, "Nooo, we're not joining GNR if you're gonna release the songs you've written".

Of course the songs will be released, so in that sense the era isn't over. But of course it depends on how you define CD era. CD1 era is obviously over. CD2 era is up next with input from Slash and Duff most likely.

You really think that Axl's never gonna release the songs he's been working on all these years? Wanna bet?

Do you actually think that Slash or Duff would go, "Nooo, we're not joining GNR if you're gonna release the songs you've written".

Of course the songs will be released, so in that sense the era isn't over. But of course it depends on how you define CD era. CD1 era is obviously over. CD2 era is up next with input from Slash and Duff most likely.

Of course you don't really know... that.

I think he'll at least attempt to release it. Maybe next year, maybe in 2020. Maybe never. But don't say that.

Edited by Rovim