Matt Sorum On Guns N' Roses 'I'm Just Happy We're All Still Alive'

Former Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum talks rock in the dangerous era

October 28, 2015

Now 54, he still enjoys making music and the company of friends. His touring supergroup Kings of Chaos — which performs at the Colosseum at Caesars Windsor on Thursday night — boasts a lineup of hard rock survivors: Fellow G N’ R members Duff McKagan and Gilby Clarke, Robin Zander of Cheap Trick, Steve Stevens of Billy Idol’s band, and Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach.

How does Sebastian’s voice measure up to Axl’s, in your estimation?

“Well, they both come from the same school of rock — They’re both powerhouses. I think it’s a bit of a lost art form. A lot of the bands that are coming out now, you don’t really hear those kinds of powerful voices … I’ve been very fortunate to be in great bands with great frontmen. Sebastian Bach is a true entertainer. He’s on, all the time.”

How important is ego-management in keeping a band together?

“From my experience, I mean — It’s been a bit of a wild ride. Hence the name, Kings of Chaos (laughs). But at the same time, I don’t know if I would’ve wanted it any other way. You know, I see bands with lead singers who are really nice. Squeaky clean. And I really don’t feel I’m getting that wild, rock n’ roll sensibility that I want.”

“I love Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters frontman), don’t get me wrong. But he’s a drummer who got out front with a guitar. Is there any danger in it? Not really. If you go to a Foo Fighters show, you’re gonna see a band play their set, and everything is gonna go down nice, and he’ll thank the crowd, and everyone’s gonna go home and go ‘Wow, that was a really nice rock n’ roll show.'”

“Not everything went perfect in any of the bands I’ve been in, but I know one thing: People on their way home were going ‘Holy ****, what was that?'”

What’s your favourite wild G N’ R memory?

“Aw, man. The whole thing was a big blur. I always tell people, my Guns N’ Roses experience was like watching somebody else’s movie. If I was to make that movie myself and watch it — I still wouldn’t believe it (laughs). Was I really there? Or was it some sort of warped dream? The whole thing was surreal.” “I felt like I really had no control where I was going. I was being taken on this adventure. It was scary at times. Super highs, super lows. I look at all of that, and I’m just happy we’re all still alive.”

Well, on that note, what’s one G N’ R story going around that’s absolutely not true?

“I don’t know. Give me an example.”

There’s that story about the song Rocket Queen — that the sex sounds on there are from Axl Rose having sex with a girlfriend of Steven Adler (former G N’ R drummer).

“Sex in the studio, yeah. Well, all I have to say is I think that one’s true. Those guys were always pulling shenanigans like that.”

http://windsorstar.com/entertainment/local-arts/kings-of-chaos-former-guns-n-roses-drummer-matt-sorum-talks-rock-in-the-dangerous-era

Edited by Funky.Monkey

Exactly, turning up on time and doing everything by the book is boring. Axl has just run out of things to fuck up.

This is why rock n roll sucks now. I can't remember the last time I went to show where the headliner came on late. I mean, has there even been a riot at a concert over the past 10 years? Hell, some shows I've been to the bands are coming on early. Its fucking lame and it ain't rock n roll.

• Like 1

Maybe they have just run out of ways to fuck shit up. Short of turning machine guns on each other on stage I can't think of anything that hasn't been done. Rock n roll is a museum now, new bands are like those security guards you see in art galleries making sure no one throws acid on the works of art. Protect and serve.

Edited by wasted

I'd like to dispute this...if rock n roll is being a twat then, quite frankly rock n roll is a load of shit. You can't put this band on a Stonsesian level of a The Who level where it was cuz Moonie was having a fit backstage or Keith Richards was fannied out of his mind, i can accept that because when they do come out after 90 mins of waiting you will see either the best rock drummer in the world or the greatest rock n roll band in the world...whereas in Guns n Roses you get a silly fat wanker in a yellow raincoat.

This ain't that day anymore and those same rules don't apply, you're talking about some 50 something twat sitting round the back having a rib eye steak or watching some bullshit basketball game, the thing about that lateness and craziness that made it OK with The Stones and The Who was that they were going through some shit and out of that shit came consistently good albums and consistently good shows, I'd accept Axl being a nutty eccentric that came out late, I wouldn't mind waiting 2 hours if i knew I was gonna get what The Stones or The Who offered you in the 60s and 70s, which was a cultural happening, something that 50 years later it would mean something to say 'i was there'. There's a fuckin' top level genius elite you can allow to get away with that, not Axl Rose and his pack of Jools Hollanders.

You knew with The Stones or The Who that some actual real craziness was going on, shit they were making up as they went along, Moonie had gone insane or Keith and Mick were fuckin' banged up in nick somewhere, it was original, it was different...not 'oh Axls late...but thats what rock stars do!' fuck that shit, Appetite and two Illusions albums ain't genius enough to fuckin' give a man that kinda leeway.

Keith Richards, Keith Moon, these guys might've been fucked but you knew when they came onstage they were gonna play a blinder, they were the original lads, in their shennigans they were aping someone or something or some archetype of a rockstar, they just did those things and somehow it got set as a standard of what to expect from others, thats just fuckin' boring.

What made rock n roll great weren't the fact that a handful of bands were late, what made it great was they played their fuckin' bollocks off and made timeless music.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

I'd like to dispute this...if rock n roll is being a twat then, quite frankly rock n roll is a load of shit. You can't put this band on a Stonsesian level of a The Who level where it was cuz Moonie was having a fit backstage or Keith Richards was fannied out of his mind, i can accept that because when they do come out after 90 mins of waiting you will see either the best rock drummer in the world or the greatest rock n roll band in the world...whereas in Guns n Roses you get a silly fat wanker in a yellow raincoat.

This ain't that day anymore and those same rules don't apply, you're talking about some 50 something twat sitting round the back having a rib eye steak or watching some bullshit basketball game, the thing about that lateness and craziness that made it OK with The Stones and The Who was that they were going through some shit and out of that shit came consistently good albums and consistently good shows, I'd accept Axl being a nutty eccentric that came out late, I wouldn't mind waiting 2 hours if i knew I was gonna get what The Stones or The Who offered you in the 60s and 70s, which was a cultural happening, something that 50 years later it would mean something to say 'i was there'. There's a fuckin' top level genius elite you can allow to get away with that, not Axl Rose and his pack of Jools Hollanders.

You knew with The Stones or The Who that some actual real craziness was going on, shit they were making up as they went along, Moonie had gone insane or Keith and Mick were fuckin' banged up in nick somewhere, it was original, it was different...not 'oh Axls late...but thats what rock stars do!' fuck that shit, Appetite and two Illusions albums ain't genius enough to fuckin' give a man that kinda leeway.

Keith Richards, Keith Moon, these guys might've been fucked but you knew when they came onstage they were gonna play a blinder, they were the original lads, in their shennigans they were aping someone or something or some archetype of a rockstar, they just did those things and somehow it got set as a standard of what to expect from others, thats just fuckin' boring.

What made rock n roll great weren't the fact that a handful of bands were late, what made it great was they played their fuckin' bollocks off and made timeless music.

B...b...but he's late on every show so he must be the last true rock star! Being late=being a rock star! I thought everybody knows that.

So much rock n' roll. An old, bitter, full of anger man forced to perform because he couldn't afford a riot. :lol: That said, he sounds excellent!

It was his chance to realise that he sounds better when he stop running around & can breathe fully.

Jesus, what a petulant little man! It is not nice to watch if anyone has ever held any admiration for W. Axl Rose.

Edited by DieselDaisy

GNR took the rock n roll danger to stadiums for as long as it lasted. The shows in the 90s were either phenomenal or Axl walked off. I've been to other rock shows and you dont get the same feeling as anything could happen like with GNR in 91. That was true in 2000 something when I saw a Bucket line up show. Axl was late but the electricity when they hhit the stage was something that I havent witnesses at a Stones or ACDC show. But yeah your still whos the freak with the Kfc bucket but when those Jungle cords start up it's on. In 09 I didn't really expect any lateness. Kenny Powers is always on time and brings the shitshow.

• Like 1

GNR took the rock n roll danger to stadiums for as long as it lasted. The shows in the 90s were either phenomenal or Axl walked off. I've been to other rock shows and you dont get the same feeling as anything could happen like with GNR in 91. That was true in 2000 something when I saw a Bucket line up show. Axl was late but the electricity when they hhit the stage was something that I havent witnesses at a Stones or ACDC show. But yeah your still whos the freak with the Kfc bucket but when those Jungle cords start up it's on. In 09 I didn't really expect any lateness. Kenny Powers is always on time and brings the shitshow.

That's what I THINK. Its shows like Dublin, Montreal, St. Louis, PHILLY that really draw me to GUNS. YOU get bands like Pearl Jam, Foo Figthers, Metallica, and modern day STOnES that always bring you the safe, professional, predictable shows and it bores me to tears. Axl can go out and play the same show 200 times in a row and there's still more edge than Metallica ever had. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the aforementioned bands, but its everyday weekday, happy hour rock n roll. Rock n Roll ain't about the chords or the drugs. ITS about the attitude that goes with em. In the words of the late great and thouroughly rock n roll producer, David Briggs

that does sound more rock n roll than the show. Get a limo home at 4am. After the Stones show in the 90s i went out in soho until 6am then got the coach home. They opened with Not Fade Away thats all i remember. So my guide to awesome is: play one song then leave the stage so we can go drinking.