The "Axl/Slash/Duff + 2 Mystery Players Re-banded But Not A Reunion Tour" Thread - Announcement Imminent!

With each passing day, I get more excited the reunion is actually happening. But with each passing day it keeps seeing like that hybrid lineup is really happening. And thats so not what I want. I'll obviously accept it, but haven't we taken enough abuse already as fans? Give us the lineup we all want, or at least Sorum to prove that its just Izzy being Izzy that doesn't want to tour. The hybrid lineup is really gonna be such bittersweet news.

I'll simultaneously be shocked Axl would even agree to be on the same stage as Slash, and also have a lot less respect for Slash that he's agreeing to something that isn't a full reunion. Those are my two cents. Even GNR could ruin a reunion.

With each passing day, I get more excited the reunion is actually happening. But with each passing day it keeps seeing like that hybrid lineup is really happening. And thats so not what I want. I'll obviously accept it, but haven't we taken enough abuse already as fans? Give us the lineup we all want, or at least Sorum to prove that its just Izzy being Izzy that doesn't want to tour. The hybrid lineup is really gonna be such bittersweet news.

I'll simultaneously be shocked Axl would even agree to be on the same stage as Slash, and also have a lot less respect for Slash that he's agreeing to something that isn't a full reunion. Those are my two cents. Even GNR could ruin a reunion.

I genuinely don't understand the hate-on people have for this hybrid idea. Izzy's pretty clearly shown he isn't interested in a full-time gig, and Fortus is a phenomenal rhythm player with amazing stage presence – and his playing would complement Slash's style perfectly. On top of that, we've already seen that Duff, Frank and Fortus form a tight rhythm section. And Fortus has stuck around for the long haul, since 2002 – why would Axl kick him and Frank to the curb in favour of Gilby and Matt, when they haven't been involved in any capacity since 1994 and 1997 respectively?

• Like 2

I genuinely don't understand the hate-on people have for this hybrid idea. Izzy's pretty clearly shown he isn't interested in a full-time gig, and Fortus is a phenomenal rhythm player with amazing stage presence – and his playing would complement Slash's style perfectly. On top of that, we've already seen that Duff, Frank and Fortus form a tight rhythm section. And Fortus has stuck around for the long haul, since 2002 – why would Axl kick him and Frank to the curb in favour of Gilby and Matt, when they haven't been involved in any capacity since 1994 and 1997 respectively?

I love Fortus. I've got no issues with him. Admittedly I'd prefer Gilby as an Izzy replacement, but Fortus is fine. He was my favorite member of NuGNR anyway. Its the drummer situation. There's no logical answer not to include Sorum, and this is literally Steven's life. Both drummers are alive and well and could bring much more legitimacy. I don't not like Frank but he's so unnecessary. Fortus would be there could Izzy is just too much of a wild card. Thats not the case with Sorum. His lack of presence leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it seems so easy to include him. Thats all.

• Like 1

Because it is not a reunion and it will never be a reunion (of anything much in particular)! It is nugnr with Slash copping out to Axl as a hireling. A lot of people also dislike nugnr - me for example - and every association with nugnr (including Fortus and Frank), so if they are hoping to attract all die-hard 'reunionistes' it is a rather odd way to go about it.

It is almost as if they got over the biggest hurdle (Axl and Slash) only to wimp out at the last minute. It is a half way house soulution; tepid water; a limp penis; a shandy bass. At least if they had Sorum in there, Izzy could return for a few guest spots and when that happened, I could call that ''Guns N' Roses'.

• Like 2

I love Fortus. I've got no issues with him. Admittedly I'd prefer Gilby as an Izzy replacement, but Fortus is fine. He was my favorite member of NuGNR anyway. Its the drummer situation. There's no logical answer not to include Sorum, and this is literally Steven's life. Both drummers are alive and well and could bring much more legitimacy. I don't not like Frank but he's so unnecessary. Fortus would be there could Izzy is just too much of a wild card. Thats not the case with Sorum. His lack of presence leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it seems so easy to include him. Thats all.

I'd love to see Adler involved as much as anyone – the guy deserves a break – but I'm not sure you could trust him to see out a full tour. Given that Matt isn't an original member of the Appetite-era line-up, Frank (or, indeed, Brain or Josh Freese) has as much right to be there as him. Don't get me wrong, I can see why people would like to see Matt there (and it'd certainly be nice to bring him and Adler up for the odd guest spot), but I don't regard his presence or absence as a deal-breaker. Also, I like a lot of Frank's additions to the old songs.

Because it is not a reunion and it will never be a reunion (of anything much in particular)! It is nugnr with Slash copping out to Axl as a hireling. A lot of people also dislike nugnr - me for example - and every association with nugnr (including Fortus and Frank), so if they are hoping to attract all die-hard 'reunionistes' it is a rather odd way to go about it.

It is almost as if they got over the biggest hurdle (Axl and Slash) only to wimp out at the last minute. It is a half way house soulution; tepid water; a limp penis; a shandy bass. At least if they had Sorum in there, Izzy could return for a few guest spots and when that happened, I could call that ''Guns N' Roses'.

I doubt they give a tuppenny fuck about the opinions of "die-hard reunionistes," as they are, by definition, die-hards; the lunatic fringe. To the vast majority of people, the Axl/Slash/Duff/Fortus/Dizzy/Ferrer line-up would qualify as Guns N' Roses. It's no different than Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood touring as The Rolling Stones; sure, there are a few people throwing a conniption because Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor aren't there, but the overwhelming majority of the ticket-buying public don't care.

I'd love to see Adler involved as much as anyone – the guy deserves a break – but I'm not sure you could trust him to see out a full tour. Given that Matt isn't an original member of the Appetite-era line-up, Frank (or, indeed, Brain or Josh Freese) has as much right to be there as him. Don't get me wrong, I can see why people would like to see Matt there (and it'd certainly be nice to bring him and Adler up for the odd guest spot), but I don't regard his presence or absence as a deal-breaker. Also, I like a lot of Frank's additions to the old songs.

I doubt they give a tuppenny fuck about the opinions of "die-hard reunionistes," as they are, by definition, die-hards; the lunatic fringe. To the vast majority of people, the Axl/Slash/Duff/Fortus/Dizzy/Ferrer line-up would qualify as Guns N' Roses. It's no different than Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood touring as The Rolling Stones; sure, there are a few people throwing a conniption because Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor aren't there, but the overwhelming majority of the ticket-buying public don't care.

You cannot compare the Stones to this circus. We are asking to conceive of a 'reunion' - that is what the rumours are discussing - and that is not a reunion. Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff/Adler would reunited the 1987-89 line-up. Stick Dizzy on that and you have the 'Civil War' 1990 line-up. Sorum for Adler and you are reuniting the 1991 'Illusion' line-up. Gilby for Izzy and you are reuniting the 1992-3/'TSI' line-up. This hybrid reunites nothing, zilch, since it has never before existed and is not an organic and legitimate continuation of the band which departed in the mid 1990s.

The replacement of Wood was an organic decision made after Taylor's resignation. It is really a hopeless analogy. He has since played on ten studio albums, including the classic Some Girls, and has more than proven himself a legitimate Stone. He was even made a full legal member in the early 1990s. Can you say the same about Fortus?

Edited by DieselDaisy

Ronnie Wood is as stones as it gets. WTF. haha. Now the black bass player, Daryl? Well yes, he is a hired gun that replaced Wyman, but he had played on 5 or so albums himself.

And he was not brought in as a member of the band (although he should be really) but as an additional musician.

Wood was a Stone before he was a Stone. Wood even looks like a Rolling Stone. He knew he would be a Stone; he used to say to people, ''I'm going to be in that band''.

Ronnie Wood is as stones as it gets. WTF. haha. Now the black bass player, Daryl? Well yes, he is a hired gun that replaced Wyman, but he had played on 5 or so albums himself.

And he was not brought in as a member of the band (although he should be really) but as an additional musician.

Wood was a Stone before he was a Stone. Wood even looks like a Rolling Stone. He knew he would be a Stone; he used to say to people, ''I'm going to be in that band''.

Faces.

It is such a mess, this band. You have Axl's endless nugnr line-ups, which is Axl/Dizzy with occasional guests from Izzy and Duff. Then you have VR which was Slash/Duff/Sorum. Then you have the Hall of Fame which was Slash/Duff/Gilby/Adler/Matt. Then there is that Kings of Chaos thing which has Duff, Matt, Gilby - and occasionally Slash. Let's not forget that Appetite anniversary which was Izzy/Duff/Adler, or that occasion when Izzy played with VR.

A hybrid would be just another example of the above.

Why can't they just sweep all this shite out and form the proper Guns - not some half-arsed, compromise solution.

• Like 3

Even then, in terms of Ron getting his proper due on paper it weren't til a while after was it?

It is such a mess, this band. You have Axl's endless nugnr line-ups, which is Axl/Dizzy with occasional guests from Izzy and Duff. Then you have VR which was Slash/Duff/Sorum. Then you have the Hall of Fame which was Slash/Duff/Gilby/Adler/Matt. Then there is that Kings of Chaos thing which has Duff, Matt, Gilby - and occasionally Slash. Let's not forget that Appetite anniversary which was Izzy/Duff/Adler, or that occasion when Izzy played with VR.

A hybrid would be just another example of the above.

Why can't they just sweep all this shite out and form the proper Guns - not some half-arsed, compromise solution.

NuGnR is best just understood as Axl and whatever musicians were working with him at the time, a line up is established through extensive touring and actual album releases, it ain't a line up if 3 or 4 guys got hired and fired whilst Axl was still getting the blueprint for his masterpiece ready.

When Wyman left he basically replaced Wyman in the Stones legal partnership. That was just after Steel Wheels so early '90s. But nobody could look at Some Girls or the way he carried the band when Jagger and Richards were feuding as compare him with a nugnr dick sniveling hack. Wood is a Stone through-and-through (and I say that as someone who prefers the Jones/Taylor eras).

The Stones are fucking approaching 80 years old.. They still have 3 of the 5 originals.. One died for fuck sake and Wyman just couldn't do it any more. He is older than the rest of the guys.. There was also never any reunion either.. It was all an organic transformation that took place over 50 years.

• Like 2

Mandy Smith exhausted the guy! He has his rhythm kings also.

I once read an interview with him and he said the only reason he did the Steel Wheels tour was because he was broke and needed the money. In other words, he probably would have jacked it in earlier, when the stones began to tour again in 1989 after their seven year lay off.

Kiss seem to be doing ok for themselves with the 2 new guys on drums and guitar.

KISS are assholes, but KISS can do whatever they want. KISS gave the fans their reunion that everyone wanted. Rag on them all you want, but they did maybe the perfect reunion for fans. All original, perfect setlist, full nostalgia.

• Like 2

Kiss seem to be doing ok for themselves with the 2 new guys on drums and guitar.

Not a hybrid line-up though? Although they did play (briefly) two hybrid-reunited line-ups when, firstly Peter (temporarily) and then Ace consecutively left the band leaving the other guy in place; Singer and Thayer were the replacements.

KISS are assholes, but KISS can do whatever they want. KISS gave the fans their reunion that everyone wanted. Rag on them all you want, but they did maybe the perfect reunion for fans. All original, perfect setlist, full nostalgia.

Yip, Kiss fans got their reunion. It went pear-shaped after that but the 1996-7 reunion was done to perfection. They even got into shape and lost some pounds for it.