The "Axl/Slash/Duff + 2 Mystery Players Re-banded But Not A Reunion Tour" Thread - Announcement Imminent!

I'm still stunned by the reaction to this. One thing is for sure if this is true; we'll finally get to test some theories that have floated around here for years. Many of us have always said that the general public wouldn't care as long as Slash was involved. A lot of others have said it would have to be all originals or the public would freak out. Hopefully we'll know soon enough.

• Like 1

I do not think anyone is denying an Axl and Slash rapprochement would draw in the crowds of gormless casuals discussed by Wasted et al. here, and that it could be a successful tour. But to me it just seems a missed opportunity and begs the question, with all the Appetite/Illusion members still alive, why?

• Like 1

makes no sense. wasn't slash always the least likely to be involved in a reunion? they just crossed the difficult one off the checklist so to speak. i cant see how it can be harder to have izzy (who has already played with axl recently) and adler in the group than to have slash. izzy i recall saying he would want to be involved in a reunion IF it featured the whole appetite lineup. the only reason i can think of that izzy would decline is because the others dont want adler back.

Totally agree. It was never just about Slash returning. Admittedly at this point it was just about Slash AGREEING, but he was never GNR. The same way Axl isn't. I understand why the public would just freak out about Axl and Slash. That doesn't surprise me at all. They are the two most visible members. But really, a reunion is about all of them and it would be so bittersweet if it was just 3, especially because there's no logical reason for someone like Sorum to not be included. The guy literally plays with Duff and Slash all the time, has no drug problems, and isn't a wild card like Izzy. I still don't see how Slash and Duff would agree to reunite for this unless all the others expressed interest not to. I really stand by the fact that they know what a reunion is, and they know its all 5 of them, or at least an Illusion lineup. I don't see why after all this time you have Slash and its not insanely easy to get everyone else on board. It makes no sense, and I would probably rather no reunion at all if it isn't 100% original.

Of course, Axl Slash and Duff would make a killing and essentially be the reunion that MOST of the general public would care about. Its all Axl and Slash to most people.

I just thought Slash was touring Conspirators III next year. 2016-17.

It's slash friend. He'll go where the money is at. Plus he's always working. A reunion tour wouldn't be 100+ shows in one year alone and id be willing to be it'll spill into 2017, assuming it does happen next year. They'll work it out schedule wise for everyone. For all we know that could be part of what's holding this thing up from being announced..

Plus, you're buying the first round!

So by the summer of 16 they will be doing festivals in Europe and SA, then maybe a Vegas Res in Nov/Dec then swing back through North America early 2017.

Round 2!

Do I dare ask when we hit up round 3??? Could there even be one with the most dangerous band in the world?? And how dangerous are they without ashba beating up bar waiters and janitors?!

I mean, I can't imagine Axl really wants to toss the second half of CD away for a reunion. Something will happen with it. The ideal for Axl might be getting Slash on the second half of CD, which will essentially legitimize the entire project in some ways.

By the way, did anyone really think an announcement was imminent? I'll be happy to eat crow on this, but I always viewed this as the smoke leading to the fire in mid-late 2016.

It just sound completely wank: Axl, Slash, Duff and a bunch of knobheads doing festivals for cash. Is this supposed to be the reunion? Is this the day so many have waited for?

Why can't they not just reunite with Izzy and Steven and write a blues record in a little rehearsal space and do things properly? What a bunch of tossers.

Maybe Izzy doesnt want to do it?

Izzy doesn't like touring. He will show up once or twice. There is a chance that Adler will be given a spot once or twice for a song or two. Fortus' playing fits the classic GNR sound. Pitman will replace the horn section for such songs as NR. Frank is the drummer for the most part.
This may be true, but people also forget that the main reason Izzy didn't like touring back then was because the band wasn't sober and he was. When he was asked by mtv when he quit, he said "they took a jet, I took a bus. And I was beating them to the gigs". Think about that for a minute...

I think for the right amount of money Izzy could be had with slash and fortus.

I mean, I can't imagine Axl really wants to toss the second half of CD away for a reunion. Something will happen with it. The ideal for Axl might be getting Slash on the second half of CD, which will essentially legitimize the entire project in some ways.

By the way, did anyone really think an announcement was imminent? I'll be happy to eat crow on this, but I always viewed this as the smoke leading to the fire in mid-late 2016.

There won't be an announcement until slashs tour ends on November 24th, AT LEAST. Also, I don't think he'd throw it away. I think he'd either release it of slash and duff agree to record over some old parts or release it after the tour.

I think that's why axl may be aiming at a hybrid of the band including slash, fortus, duff, frank, and dizzy. He could have duff re record tommys parts since duff has said himself that he and tommy come from the same mold of music, he could have slash write his own solos, release the album and tour off of that in 2016, just to see it through like he did with Chinese.

Then in 2017 a full reunion with the appetite and illusions lineup. Everyone wins. 30th anniversary. Think about it...

some random thougts...

any reunion in any shape or form would have been done for the money, this is true. but, if it was the original appetite lineup it would radiate a certain "danger" and it would be totally rock & roll.

the lineup that is doing the rounds now, is not rock & roll. it's broadway. a big production, with about as much danger as a foo fighters concert.

for me at least, if it were axl, duff and slash, then i would think about adler's words about how duff doesnt like him / trust him. adler has recently shown he is more than capable of doing powerfull shows, so the only reason not to include him would be a personal one. no doubt due to his past as a heroin addict. and THAT would make it very hard for me, to take such a lineup serious.

what is the relevance of a reunion concert, when it doesnt have the original five? it's dishonest, it's MERELY a blatant cash grab. it would lack GNR's architect (izzy) and a former war buddy (steven). what we get is three musicians dying for some fresh cash flow, in the process destroying the legacy even further. i would really feel for steven and a small part of me fears he would not survive, and i'm not sure that's the event that should end GNR's history

• Like 1

It would be so funny to have Slash playing on songs which lyrics are aimed against him.

:facepalm

other than sorry, how many songs are really aimed against him?

Yeah... Probably not too many. I doubt the general and soul monster are songs about how much axl hates slash...

I don't want a full reunion. It would go full retard.

Full retard is having people with KFC buckets on their head playing in GNR. Reunion will never be as retarded as that, even if they tried very hard.

It would be so funny to have Slash playing on songs which lyrics are aimed against him.

Yeah... Probably not too many. I doubt the general and soul monster are songs about how much axl hates slash...

Madagascar is another one.

some random thougts...

any reunion in any shape or form would have been done for the money, this is true. but, if it was the original appetite lineup it would radiate a certain "danger" and it would be totally rock & roll.

the lineup that is doing the rounds now, is not rock & roll. it's broadway. a big production, with about as much danger as a foo fighters concert.

for me at least, if it were axl, duff and slash, then i would think about adler's words about how duff doesnt like him / trust him. adler has recently shown he is more than capable of doing powerfull shows, so the only reason not to include him would be a personal one. no doubt due to his past as a heroin addict. and THAT would make it very hard for me, to take such a lineup serious.

what is the relevance of a reunion concert, when it doesnt have the original five? it's dishonest, it's MERELY a blatant cash grab. it would lack GNR's architect (izzy) and a former war buddy (steven). what we get is three musicians dying for some fresh cash flow, in the process destroying the legacy even further. i would really feel for steven and a small part of me fears he would not survive, and i'm not sure that's the event that should end GNR's history

Agree with most of this. I'd have to say though, this should all apply to Izzy too. Like, I get that everyone is just "Izzy does what he wants", but a case could be made HE'S Guns N Roses. To just let him off the hook so easy with "ah, he's flakey" is a bit much. If we're talking about a serious reunion here, I would hope every effort is being made to get Izzy involved because he's the heart and soul of the band and he should definitely get to relish in this moment as well. Way more than Slash, Izzy is what makes a reunion legitmate and really less than a cash grab.

• Like 1

At least get Matt - at the very minimum. If you really do think Adler is too flakey then draft in Matt. More than any omission I find his the strangest: he is solid; sober; not hated by Axl (too much); played with VR; and more importantly, played on Illusion so could legitimately claim to be bona fide 'old band'. Obviously Fortus would stick out like a sore thumb but Axl, Slash, Duff and Matt would just about legitimately call itself a 'reunion'. Just!

• Like 3

Full retard is having people with KFC buckets on their head playing in GNR. Reunion will never be as retarded as that, even if they tried very hard.

There's no way to know. I honestly don't think any of the songs aim against Slash in any way...but you're free to believe the opposite

• Like 1

yeah but you really think they'd play those? Madagascar might not be just about slash, if it's even about him at all.. Which it probably isn't. Madagascar is about people in general trying to aim axl in a certain direction and axl rising up to do what he wants. Sorry Is the only possible song about slash but then again we never really got confirmation that it was about him either so... Hmm Edited by Billsfan

At least get Matt - at the very minimum. If you really do think Adler is too flakey then draft in Matt. More than any omission I find his the strangest: he is solid; sober; not hated by Axl (too much); played with VR; and more importantly, played on Illusion so could legitimately claim to be bona fide 'old band'. Obviously Fortus would stick out like a sore thumb but Axl, Slash, Duff and Matt would just about legitimately call itself a 'reunion'. Just!

I'm out of likes for today but yup, 100%. I said the same thing earlier this morning. I don't know how you'd justify Matt's non-involvement, hence the ONLY reason I'm not really taking these rumors at face value.

But really, a reunion is about all of them and it would be so bittersweet if it was just 3, especially because there's no logical reason for someone like Sorum to not be included. The guy literally plays with Duff and Slash all the time, has no drug problems, and isn't a wild card like Izzy.

I'm out of likes for today but yup, 100%. I said the same thing earlier this morning. I don't know how you'd justify Matt's non-involvement, hence the ONLY reason I'm not really taking these rumors at face value.

But really, a reunion is about all of them and it would be so bittersweet if it was just 3, especially because there's no logical reason for someone like Sorum to not be included. The guy literally plays with Duff and Slash all the time, has no drug problems, and isn't a wild card like Izzy.

Here's how I see it: Axl sees Matt as a "former employee", and not as an essential part of what GN'R was (like Duff, Izzy and Slash, indeed, are). Why hiring a former employee (Matt) when the current employee (Frank) is doing perfectly fine? Same goes for the Richard/Gilby situation I think....

• Like 2

Here's how I see it: Axl sees Matt as a "former employee", and not as an essential part of what GN'R was (like Duff, Izzy and Slash, indeed, are). Why hiring a former employee (Matt) when the current employee (Frank) is doing perfectly fine? Same goes for the Richard/Gilby situation I think....

Unfortunately, and I say unfortunately only cause, in GNR land that makes sense.

However, as I've said, I don't see why Slash and Duff would agree to that. I get that Duff's played with Axl's so he's probably "cool with all those guys", but the bottom line is if they're reuniting, why would those guys NOT want the guys that were there when THEY were in the band. It makes no sense that they'd all of a sudden agree to this hybrid. If Axl doesn't see Matt as an essential part of GNR, thats fine. I would have a hard time believing Slash and Duff feel the same way. It seems obvious that with those 3, you obviously get Sorum.

The only semi-logical reason I could think of is not getting Sorum means he and Steven could commiserate together. Like, sacrificing Sorum means not having to deal with Steven seeing someone from the old days included while he's not, and the two of them could sort of be like "man, look they went without us!", even though Sorum is more than capable of handling it. Its almost like he'd be taking one for the team so they don't have to deal with Steven.

Although even as I'm writing that that makes no sense. I can't speak for Duff, and I can't speak for Slash, but just going off following Slash for years and just feeling he's level headed, I can't imagine why you don't have Sorum or Adler if he's agreeing. I don't get why he'd join a reunion just to play with some of Axl's guys. Richard makes sense if you absolutely can't get Izzy, but again I don't see why Slash wouldn't insist on Gilby. I really really don't. Just cause thats the band "they" were back then which would obviously be the goal here. It makes no sense why certain people would be left out, but as pointed out, Matt especially. To me, the "former employee" thing isn't good enough, and if Matt's not included it would mean something has changed with Slash that he'd all of a sudden just go along with this.

• Like 1