Ultimate Guitar: Reunion with Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank

You know what I just realized? Its the Van Halen "reunion" from 2007 all over again.

If it is Frank, Richard, Dizzy, Duff, Slash and Axl, then GNR have JUST AS MANY original members now as they did from late 1991 to 1993, when they were the biggest band in the world.

Totally different and you know it. Sorum and Dizzy played on a classic-era album. That qualifies them as "original enough" in mine, and many other fans' eyes.

Van Halen replaced an original member with a child and a total unknown. For what its worth, GNR with Fortus and Ferrer (despite my liking them) is essentially the exact same thing. GNR is a bigger band than Van Halen. They both fucked up. The difference is Guns N Roses has the foresight to realize that. If you want a hybrid lineup, thats fine. But don't pretend its the same thing. We all know what Guns N Roses is and its a 7 man team. Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Sorum, and Dizzy. Gilby Clarke carries the bags. End O Discussion.

• Like 1

GNR is a bigger band than Van Halen. They both fucked up. The difference is Guns N Roses has the foresight to realize that.

Care to elaborate on that?

Yeah, there's been 20 years of reunions of classic bands since Guns broke up. They aren't leading the pack on how to do it. They've all seen what a successful, legitimate one looks like and what a money grab, pussy one looks like. KISS is how you do it, Van Halen and Black Sabbath is how you don't, although obviously people will accept it. GNR has the ability to be in that former category, and they have the benefit of seeing how VH screwed up to not do that.

It would probably be the most UN-GNR thing they've ever done to get the reunion right.

Not foresight then, but insight I guess.

Foresight - the ability to predict or the action of predicting what will happen or be needed in the future

Insight - the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing

They should have the FORESIGHT to predict what this hybrid reunion will mean to people. They should have the FORESIGHT to predict what is needed in the future for it to be successful. The only thing they INSIGHT into is an understanding of what a true GNR reunion is. I think they both work, but foresight doesn't seem like the wrong word, especially cause it hasn't happened yet. Insight to me is more while its happening or during the fact.

You know what I just realized? Its the Van Halen "reunion" from 2007 all over again.

If it is Frank, Richard, Dizzy, Duff, Slash and Axl, then GNR have JUST AS MANY original members now as they did from late 1991 to 1993, when they were the biggest band in the world.

Totally different and you know it. Sorum and Dizzy played on a classic-era album. That qualifies them as "original enough" in mine, and many other fans' eyes.

Van Halen replaced an original member with a child and a total unknown. For what its worth, GNR with Fortus and Ferrer (despite my liking them) is essentially the exact same thing. GNR is a bigger band than Van Halen. They both fucked up. The difference is Guns N Roses has the foresight to realize that. If you want a hybrid lineup, thats fine. But don't pretend its the same thing. We all know what Guns N Roses is and its a 7 man team. Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Sorum, and Dizzy. Gilby Clarke carries the bags. End O Discussion.

I don't agree. In 1992/1993, people weren't going to a GN'R show to see Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke, or Dizzy, who is still there, not sure why you brought him up. So now, with this supposed lineup, we have 3/5th of the AFD era and 2/3 of the UYI era. Except for hardcore fans, no one really cares who the drummer is. I like Adler and Izzy, but there not being there now is no different from them not being there in the early 1990's. The alleged current lineup is every bit as legitimate as the Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Clarke, Sorum lineup was--they have the same original, core members, Axl, Slash and Duff. You could compare the post Izzy, early 1990's lineup with Van Halen in 2007 for that matter. Izzy=Mike.

• Like 1

I don't agree. In 1992/1993, people weren't going to a GN'R show to see Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke, or Dizzy, who is still there, not sure why you brought him up. So now, with this supposed lineup, we have 3/5th of the AFD era and 2/3 of the UYI era. Except for hardcore fans, no one really cares who the drummer is. I like Adler and Izzy, but there not being there now is no different from them not being there in the early 1990's. The alleged current lineup is every bit as legitimate as the Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Clarke, Sorum lineup was--they have the same original, core members, Axl, Slash and Duff. You could compare the post Izzy, early 1990's lineup with Van Halen in 2007 for that matter. Izzy=Mike.

I guess I am, and I do know what you mean. I guess we have to agree to disagree. I'll continue trying to rationalize it if people really wanted, but I don't want to overtake the thread. Basically, I think anyone that played on stage before the breakup in the 90s is fair game. Anyone after is a bit of a cheat. Mainly cause that was their "active" period, and also just cause I thought Slash and Duff had that view as well. They've always expressed it that way. So yes, I think Gilby in a reunion is fine. I think Sorum in a reunion is fine, and fair. Hell, in a perfect world, my reunion would include Teddy god damn Zig Zag on harmonica! No, the general public won't care, but Guns N Roses knows their fans. Its not like they don't think people will know they aren't there. They know not enough will care. That doesn't mean its right.

I disagree. The people were ''going to a GN'R show to see Matt'' if they had purchased Use Your Illusion and had any fondness for the album. It would seem odd indeed if they recorded them albums with Matt, only to change drummers for the tour (''nobody cares who drums anyhow, right?''). Replacements buy their legitimacy with releases. Playing on Illusion at least qualifies Sorum for a honourary ''sixth place original'' spot - this was reflected in the Hall of Fame induction.

And by the way, I certainly care who drums, particularly if we are discussing Adler and replicating that ''Appetite sound'' (which nobody else has achieved, from Sorum, Brain, to Frank by the way).

Edited by DieselDaisy

I disagree. The people were ''going to a GN'R show to see Matt'' if they had purchased Use Your Illusion and had any fondness for the album. It would seem odd indeed if they recorded them albums with Matt, only to change drummers for the tour (''nobody cares who drums anyhow, right?''). Replacements buy their legitimacy with releases. Playing on Illusion at least qualifies Sorum for a honourary ''sixth place original'' spot - this was reflected in the Hall of Fame induction.

And by the way, I certainly care who drums, particularly if we are discussing Adler and replicating that ''Appetite sound'' (which nobody else has achieved, from Sorum, Brain, to Frank by the way).

If Matt had left during the UYI tour and was replaced by Mike Portnoy, Tommy Lee, etc. would anyone really care? Care enough to not go?

RE: Gilby. I would welcome his return. He's an underrated songwriter and it's a shame he never wrote with GNR.

If Matt had left during the UYI tour and was replaced by Mike Portnoy, Tommy Lee, etc. would anyone really care? Care enough to not go?

RE: Gilby. I would welcome his return. He's an underrated songwriter and it's a shame he never wrote with GNR.

Yes, I think they would care - if they are into Illusion enough. They would certainly raise the question, ''where is the drummer? Why have you replaced him''. Stay at home? Perhaps not.

For the people supporting this hybrid thing, was Guns N' Roses always just Axl and Slash (i.e. not really a band in any meaningful sense), who you can fit various random people around ad hoc, because that is not how I remember it at all? You have to have a band there. Guns were a band. Drummers and rhythm guitarists had a huge impact on the shaping of the sound of that band.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The funny thing to me is even dizzy is mentioned. Fortus has done interviews and so has frank. No mention of pitman anywhere in any articles. Pitman hasn't done any interviews and has done no promoting for gnr, although the report of him quitting seems to be true. Tommy is out and he knows it, he just wants to be respectuful about handing the bass back over to Duff.

Remember when nuGNR was a thing?!

I will agree that I can't see fortus or frank being fired, but I can't see axl, slash, duff, dizzy, ANYONE dissing Izzy knowing this is his band. The question is how drummer will get resolved.

Would people stop fucking complaining about Izzy. I absolutely fucking love that guy, he was the very heart of GnR, but he's basically retired and even when he shows up now and again with guns his playing is iffy and his guitar volume is noticeably low. If we want to see guns do a proper reunion tour we just can't have izzy because he wouldn't he able for it (which he stated himself), no matter how much we want him. And IMO fortus is a much better guitar player than gilby and a more valid member, so I will happily take him with a guest spot or two for Izzy whenenever he feels up to it. As for the drummer, adlers a complete no go no matter how much he whines about it, the fucker brought it all on himself. As for matt, personally never felt his drum sound/style fitted GnR and he seems like a proper douche, so I'll take frank. Frank is okay, nothing particularly special but the whole Steven and matt drum sharing was a laughable idea so quit whining, we're getting what we always wanted. Slash and Axl back on that stage together, with duff for good measure. Epic.

• Like 1

Pitman hasn't done any interviews and has done no promoting for gnr, although the report of him quitting seems to be true.

Please Beta's Instagram said he was there a few weeks ago and he posted pictures from Axl's backyard just over a month ago. He's barely done any interviews since his involvement in the late 90's at all, why would it start now?

• Like 1

Pitman hasn't done any interviews and has done no promoting for gnr, although the report of him quitting seems to be true.

Please Beta's Instagram said he was there a few weeks ago and he posted pictures from Axl's backyard just over a month ago. He's barely done any interviews since his involvement in the late 90's at all, why would it start now?

He went there to mow Axl's lawn.

Oh you have pictures?

They were both allegedly in the same area but there was no proof of them crossing paths... Lol "oh please"

Jesus, sometimes I find it hard to believe what I'm reading. And I'm beginning to understand way better why Axl hates his fans and treats them like shit. Because they're a bunch of whining, moaning, grumpy, frustrated assholes who will never be pleased no matter what. No, they will always get into their whiny, critical tone and throw their little insults. Hell, I don't fucking get it!

Who the fuck cares about Steven? A drummer whose last moment of clarity was probably around 1987 at best. Who has never composed a note. Who was never close to bright and who after 30 years of constant abuse is a degenerated, brainless wreck with an intellectual level matching that of an average nine year old. Plus, he's still a junkie. That guy can't even talk sense for 5 minutes, let alone handle a tour. The idea of having him back would be suicidal on every fucking level. He'd ruin the whole thing within a week if not sooner.

Who cares about Izzy? Well, maybe a few naive romantics here who believe that being irresponsible, totally unreliable, still more moody than Axl and getting his ass out every time there's a little problem cause solving that problem would be too much fuss is so fucking cool. No it's not cool! It is what it is, irreponsible, selfish and immature. Why on earth would anyone take with them a guy who might just as well decide one week later that, after all, he prefers walking the dog in the corn right now and wants to go home unless he gets 5 milion dollars more? Well, that's the way Izzy likes to play things out. Not to mention that we don't even know how sober he is, he obviously wasn't in 93. Sorry, but reunion is serious business and for any business to have any chance of success, what you need most are realiabe people you can count on. Izzy's proven many times he ain't one of those.

Plus the whole legend and meaning that is now so trendy to attach to Izzy is just insane. The guy wrote three songs for their second album and never even cared about these songs. The rest were Axl and Slash. And don't fucking tell me where Slash is undersigned because I don't give a fuck. Wether it's Estranged or November Rain or any tune you name, it would never be what it is without Slash's guitar. That is the sound of Guns'N'Roses - Axl's voice and Slash's guitar that fits and complements this voice like nothing else! If they were to record more songs like Coma and Estranged I don't fucking mind, I'm all for it, in fact I'd be happy as shit! Even if there's nothing like You Ain't the First there.... And I won't cry over 14 years either.

Anyone getting hysterical here that a reunion without Izzy and Steven (or without Matt and Gilby - who on earth gives a flying fuck about 2 session musicians rented for a couple of years??!) is not a reunion is fucking sick in the head. Fortunately, on a large scale, they're a minority. So, Axl or anyone involved, if you're reading this, which I'm pretty sure you're not cause that would be a real waste of time, just never mind. Most of us are normal in the end. Just not necessairily on these forums.

Edited by Asia
  • Like 2

Jesus, sometimes I find it hard to believe what I'm reading. And I'm beginning to understand way better why Axl hates his fans and treats them like shit. Because they're a bunch of whining, moaning, grumpy, frustrated assholes who will never be pleased no matter what. No, they will always get into their whiny, critical tone and throw their little insults. Hell, I don't fucking get it!

Who the fuck cares about Steven? A drummer whose last moment of clarity was probably around 1987 at best. Who has never composed a note. Who was never close to bright and who after 30 years of constant abuse is a degenerated, brainless wreck with an intellectual level matching that of an average nine year old. Plus, he's still a junkie. That guy can't even talk sense for 5 minutes, let alone handle a tour. The idea of having him back would be suicidal on every fucking level. He'd ruin the whole thing within a week if not sooner.

Who cares about Izzy? Well, maybe a few naive romantics here who believe that being irresponsible, totally unreliable, still more moody than Axl and getting his ass out every time there's a little problem cause solving that problem would be too much fuss is so fucking cool. No it's not cool! It is what it is, irreponsible, selfish and immature. Why on earth would anyone take with them a guy who might just as well decide one week later that, after all, he prefers walking the dog in the corn right now and wants to go home unless he gets 5 milion dollars more? Well, that's the way Izzy likes to play things out. Not to mention that we don't even know how sober he is, he obviously wasn't in 93. Sorry, but reunion is serious business and for any business to have any chance of success, what you need most are realiabe people you can count on. Izzy's proven many times he ain't one of those.

Plus the whole legend and meaning that is now so trendy to attach to Izzy is just insane. The guy wrote three songs for their second album and never even cared about these songs. The rest were Axl and Slash. And don't fucking tell me where Slash is undersigned because I don't give a fuck. Wether it's Estranged or November Rain or any tune you name, it would never be what it is without Slash's guitar. That is the sound of Guns'N'Roses - Axl's voice and Slash's guitar that fits and complements this voice like nothing else! If they were to record more songs like Coma and Estranged I don't fucking mind, I'm all for it, in fact I'd be happy as shit! Even if there's nothing like You Ain't the First there.... And I won't cry over 14 years either.

Anyone getting hysterical here that a reunion without Izzy and Steven (or without Matt and Gilby - who on earth gives a flying fuck about 2 session musicians rented for a couple of years??!) is not a reunion is fucking sick in the head. Fortunately, on a large scale, they're a minority. So, Axl or anyone involved, if you're reading this, which I'm pretty sure you're not cause that would be a real waste of time, just never mind. Most of us are normal in the end. Just not necessairily on these forums.

Pretty much spot on.

Bitching about Izzy's absence is one thing, but Steven Adler and Matt Sorum? Fuck off with that shit.

Full of factual errors - pertinent bits in bold. Firstly, Izzy has been sober since December 1989. Secondly, a list of songs written by Izzy Stradlin immediately destroys most of your other points,

(solo)

Think About You

Used to Love Her

Patience

You Ain't the First

Double Talkin' Jibe

Pretty Tied Up

(collaborative)

Anything Goes

Nightrain

Out Ta Get Me

Mr Brownstone

Paradise City

My Michelle

Sweet Child O' Mine

You're Crazy

Reckless Life

Shadow of Your Love

Bad Apples

Perfect Crime

Right Next Door to Hell

Don't Crime

14 Years

You Could Be Mine

Dust N' Bones

6 solo accreditation and 17 collaborative. A lot more than the ''three songs for their second album'' you stated.

Lastly, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke were not hired as 'session musicians' but played the Use Your Illusion World Tour (1991-93) - Gilby missing 1991. That is 194 shows for Matt and 138 shows for Gilby! They were also ''rented'' for longer than ''a couple of years'' - Matt very much so. Sorum was a member from mid-1990 to April 1997, i.e. almost seven years!. Gilby was a member, late 1991 to June 1994, i.e. two and a half years.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1