Ultimate Guitar: Reunion with Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank

^^ I think Rovim has a point. It seems very trendy on this board to give Izzy more credit than Axl and Slash, when, as Rovim pointed out, they were all equally responsible for the songwriting, the reason Izzy is largely forgotten about outside GNR's hardcore fans is because songwriting was his one and only talent, whereas Slash was also an exceptional guitarist and Axl a gifted singer with some pretty cool piano chops.

There is a reason why Axl and Slash were more famous and celebrated and it's because they were more talented.

You said people were more drawn to the Izzy/Duff punky/stones side compared to Axl's "Elton John" thing and Slash metally side. That's not accurate.

People were drawn to November Rain and Estranged and WTTJ and Paradise City which is Slash's country metal side. So...again: they were just as important imo. Slash and Axl had other talents Izzy never had such as Axl's powerful and unique voice and Slash's guitar sound and that's on top of many songs they've brought to the table which people really connected with.

You don't have to diminish their importance just to bring your point across on how important Izzy was which you kinda did.

I said ''some fans were more drawn to...'' - emphasis on ''some...were''.

But the way you presented it more then suggested Axl and Slash simply didn't bring to the table ideas that were as important as Izzy's and that's not true.

Where will Guns be today without the songs Slash and Axl wrote? November Rain is comparable in it's importance to You Could Be Mine. Is that fair to say? and who was responsible for writing Jungle, SCOM, and Paradise City?

You agree it was a collaborative effort, but on the other hand it sounds like you're not being objective when it comes to what the rest of them did for the band. Like it's somehow of lesser importance. That's inaccurate, that's all I was saying.

You must not have been reading very well as I have always insisted it is collaborative - heck I'm defending Adler here and even poor Gilby who seems completely friendless on mygnr, the poor chap!

Must have been. It couldn't possibly be that you fail to admit for some odd reason you did, in fact, more than once I might add, diminished what the others brought to the table just cause Axl is too Elton John and Slash is too metal for you.

Collaborative, but not quite. Not if we remember countless posts you've made on this very subject. Still can't take you seriously but it is what it is.

Well I for one love Izzy's guitar sound and singing.

:facepalm:

Edited by Rovim

Izzy is the soul of Guns. This is what I feel - so be it. Does not mean that I deny the fact that the others made big contributions.

If you turn down the Izzy in gnr the band becomes more a ballads, metal and overdubs thingy. Izzy brought the Stones, Tom Petty style to proceedings.

Izzy is the soul of Guns. This is what I feel - so be it. Does not mean that I deny the fact that the others made big contributions.

If you turn down the Izzy in gnr the band becomes more a ballads, metal and overdubs thingy. Izzy brought the Stones, Tom Petty style to proceedings.

Progress.

Progress.

Izzy Stradlin is the hipster choice in GNR.

It was never cool to like GNR after 86. By holding on to Izzy as some aloof, Keith Richards hipster type, it makes Diesel feel less ashamed for one of his favourite bands basically being a better version of Skid Row and Motley Crue. :lol:

Edited by Towelie

Progress.

Izzy Stradlin is the hipster choice in GNR.

It was never cool to like GNR after 86. By holding on to Izzy as some aloof, Keith Richards hipster type, it makes Diesel feel less ashamed for one of his favourite bands being lumped in with Skid Row and Motley Crue.

Oh I didn't mean I agreed with what he said. Just that it was more reflective of his real opinion on the matter. He admitted what his position is which should not have been so difficult to do imo.

The two rhythm guitars, Slash and Izzy, are one of the big reasons that album is superb. The guitar sound on Appetite has been commented on widely. I am not the only one here who likes the sound of Izzy's guitar, interacting with Slash's.

For the record, I love Izzy's guitar sound on Appetite and his voice as well. Went along perfect with Slash's guitar. Never found a better guitarist to play with. Their guitar interplay was unique. Can even hear it on Ghost.

It is significant that Izzy's contribution to Appetite is being dispensed with quickly here, because 'they were all in one room', but if you look at Appetite, Izzy's influence is all over that. It is also significant that, apart from 'November Rain' and 'Estranged', Axl does not play any of those songs, your 'Comas', 'Breakdowns' and 'Locomotives'. Yet what do we see in the nugnr set over the last ten years? 'Patience', 'You Could Be Mine' and 'Don't Cry' - in the past 'Think About You' and 'Used to Love Her'.

to be fair songs like Coma are much more complicated than Patience and not as popular...so i see why they don't bother

i don't knock Izzy's contributions though and would love to see him up on stage as i missed GNR and i would love to say i seen the original band perform outside of youtube

Edited by -HollywoodRose-

It is significant that Izzy's contribution to Appetite is being dispensed with quickly here, because 'they were all in one room', but if you look at Appetite, Izzy's influence is all over that. It is also significant that, apart from 'November Rain' and 'Estranged', Axl does not play any of those songs, your 'Comas', 'Breakdowns' and 'Locomotives'. Yet what do we see in the nugnr set over the last ten years? 'Patience', 'You Could Be Mine' and 'Don't Cry' - in the past 'Think About You' and 'Used to Love Her'.

to be fair songs like Coma are much more complicated than Patience

i don't knock Izzy contributions though and would love to see him up on stage as i missed GNR and i would love to say i seen the original band preform outside of youtube

"Complicated" don't mean shit. If it's good, it's good. It's suppose to make you feel something and Izzy was a master at doing that without even breaking a sweat. It could be argued that it's just as difficult to get so much out of simple chords and patterns as it is to write a 50 chord monster like Coma with epic leads and shit.

It's not how fast you play, it's what you say like Ginger Baker said. And it's not how complex a piece of music or art that's important, it's if what is expressed is good and makes you feel something.

Edited by Rovim

Since I am bored I tried going through original songs on AFD and Lies to assign credits based on the info I have. It is not easy. I consider vocal melody more important than drums, so I discared any potential contribution Steven may mave made by adding drum parts, but added Axl's whenever a song is just credited to the whole band. Take OIAM as an example, it is everywhere credited as a true Axl song, althoug no one has claimed he came up with anything but the lyrics and vocal melodies, presumably the rest of the band added guitars and bass to fit with what Axl sang, so Slash wrote the solo, and Izzy and Duff added the great rhythm guitars. It's hard and we can probably argue over all of this. Anyway, this is how I suppose it is:

Reckless Life: Axl (50%), Izzy (50%)

Move to the City: Izzy (33%)

Patience: Izzy (70%), Duff (20%), Slash (10%).

Used to Love Her: Axl (25%), Izzy (25%), Slash (25%), Duff (25%).

You're Crazy: Izzy (40%), Slash (40%), Duff (10%), Axl (10%).

One In a Million: Axl (70%), Izzy (10%), Slash (10%), Duff (10%).

Welcome to the Jungle: Slash (55%), Axl (30%), Duff (10%), Izzy (5%).

It's So Easy: Duff (35%), (Slash 10%), Axl (5%).

Nightrain: Slash (50%), Izzy (30%), Duff (10%), Axl (10%).

Mr. Brownstone: Slash (35%), Izzy (35%), Axl (20%), Duff (10%).

Outta Get Me: Slash (40%), Izzy (40%), Axl (10%), Duff (10%).

Paradise City: Slash (30%), Duff (30%), Izzy (20%), Axl (20%).

My Michelle: Izzy (30%), Slash (30%), Axl (30%), Duff (10%).

Think About You: Izzy (85%), Slash (5%), Axl (5%), Duff (5%).

Sweet Child O' Mine: Slash (50%), Izzy (30%), Axl (15%), Duff (10%).

Anything Goes: Izzy (40%), Axl (40%), Slash (10%), Duff (10%).

Rocket Queen: Slash (35%), Axl (35%), Duff (20%), Izzy (10%).

Sure, this is unfair to Steven, but anyway you cut it he will have the least contributions and won't affect the distribution between the other gays.

Be summing up the percentages, we get the following scores (unless I made a mistake or two):

Izzy: 553

Slash: 385

Axl: 375

Duff: 225

So, that's how I see it, at least.

I can't bothered doijg thi for UYIs too, I am not that bored.

to be fair songs like Coma are much more complicated than Patience

i don't knock Izzy contributions though and would love to see him up on stage as i missed GNR and i would love to say i seen the original band preform outside of youtube

"Complicated" don't mean shit. If it's good, it's good. It's suppose to make you feel something and Izzy was a master at doing that without even breaking a sweat. It could be argued that it's just as difficult to get so much out of simple chords and patterns as it is to write a 50 chord monster like Coma with epic leads and shit.

It's not how fast you play, it's what you say like Ginger Baker said. And it's not how complex a piece of music or art that's important, it's if what is expressed is good and makes you feel something.

well Coma is good and if you ever felt like just ending everything it can make you feel something

admittedly ive teared up to the last part before

Jesus, sometimes I find it hard to believe what I'm reading. And I'm beginning to understand way better why Axl hates his fans and treats them like shit. Because they're a bunch of whining, moaning, grumpy, frustrated assholes who will never be pleased no matter what. No, they will always get into their whiny, critical tone and throw their little insults. Hell, I don't fucking get it!

Who the fuck cares about Steven? A drummer whose last moment of clarity was probably around 1987 at best. Who has never composed a note. Who was never close to bright and who after 30 years of constant abuse is a degenerated, brainless wreck with an intellectual level matching that of an average nine year old. Plus, he's still a junkie. That guy can't even talk sense for 5 minutes, let alone handle a tour. The idea of having him back would be suicidal on every fucking level. He'd ruin the whole thing within a week if not sooner.

Who cares about Izzy? Well, maybe a few naive romantics here who believe that being irresponsible, totally unreliable, still more moody than Axl and getting his ass out every time there's a little problem cause solving that problem would be too much fuss is so fucking cool. No it's not cool! It is what it is, irreponsible, selfish and immature. Why on earth would anyone take with them a guy who might just as well decide one week later that, after all, he prefers walking the dog in the corn right now and wants to go home unless he gets 5 milion dollars more? Well, that's the way Izzy likes to play things out. Not to mention that we don't even know how sober he is, he obviously wasn't in 93. Sorry, but reunion is serious business and for any business to have any chance of success, what you need most are realiabe people you can count on. Izzy's proven many times he ain't one of those.

Plus the whole legend and meaning that is now so trendy to attach to Izzy is just insane. The guy wrote three songs for their second album and never even cared about these songs. The rest were Axl and Slash. And don't fucking tell me where Slash is undersigned because I don't give a fuck. Wether it's Estranged or November Rain or any tune you name, it would never be what it is without Slash's guitar. That is the sound of Guns'N'Roses - Axl's voice and Slash's guitar that fits and complements this voice like nothing else! If they were to record more songs like Coma and Estranged I don't fucking mind, I'm all for it, in fact I'd be happy as shit! Even if there's nothing like You Ain't the First there.... And I won't cry over 14 years either.

Anyone getting hysterical here that a reunion without Izzy and Steven (or without Matt and Gilby - who on earth gives a flying fuck about 2 session musicians rented for a couple of years??!) is not a reunion is fucking sick in the head. Fortunately, on a large scale, they're a minority. So, Axl or anyone involved, if you're reading this, which I'm pretty sure you're not cause that would be a real waste of time, just never mind. Most of us are normal in the end. Just not necessairily on these forums.

Totally spot on. Reading this is a real waste of time.

• Like 1

I just do not want any nugnr wanker near a reunited band. I've never been particularly fond of any of them really. They always struck me as people who would sell their grandma for a groat, brown-nosers, dick-snivelers, sycophantic vegas players.

If you cannot get Izzy, get Gilby, If Adler relapses, draft in Sorum: case closed.

You realise you just described everybody from this band, present or past, right? I mean, artistical integrity wasn't and will never be a priority for anybody that played in this band. All of them were caught on things like car commercials, beer commercials, living on nostalgia acts, Disney movies...

Gn'R was Always a comercial band. End of story.

EDIT: I hate auto correct

Edited by Chewbacca

well Coma is good and if you ever felt like just ending everything it can make you feel something

admittedly ive teared up to the last part before

I love Coma. I think it's a great song. My point still stands.

Izzy wrote most of sweet child of mine. Slash just was playing that intro piece and izzy is the one who came up with most of the songs structure. That's what he really was for most of gnrs catalog. Izzy helped write the structure for November rain too. He was huge for guns man whatta joke to say anything else

Izzy wrote everything, probably also the structure of Chinese Democracy and the Iliad and Odyssey, and you were there all the time and came here to tell us about it.

Yeah nice smart ass response unfortunately I wasn't there slash talked about izzy coming up with the chord progressions and structure in his book and Tracii guns and tom zutant both have talked about in interviews about Axl playing November rain on the piano while izzy came up with the guitar parts and the melody, including the "ooo, ooo, ooo" parts. Next time why don't you think a little before attacking someone and thinking your being funny and cool.

I think Izzy comes up with riffs and cords and that is basically the song. You can hear it on his solo albums. Tunes even if you just hum them yourself.

Take a song like Parasite. On the album it's almost throwaway but if Slash adds a solo and you have Axl's vocals and delivery suddenly it's a GNR song like Perfect Crime.

Izzy has a nice range of songs on his albums. But Slash does a much more commercial brand of Areo/DC with hints of Zepp. He has the sound of GNR.

Axl is great because he's kind of an actor he can embody Brownstone lyrics or do something like Coma lyrics but also do songs like Nov Rain which are much more emotional and almost FM 70s rock that I don't think the other guys would come up with.

But overall it's hard to think of it as a reunion without Izzy. But maybe it's a reunion of the success GNR had in the 90s.

Honestly though I think Duff working with Izzy recently shows he has there respect. Maybe he's just too much of a rock m roll outlaw to do a reunion.

Tracii Guns once said that the reunion will be about Izzy. Like when he decides to come back from the desert the reunion will be on. It's like he jesus or sum shit. Get yr hats, glasses and crucifixs ready.

• Like 1

Jesus, sometimes I find it hard to believe what I'm reading. And I'm beginning to understand way better why Axl hates his fans and treats them like shit. Because they're a bunch of whining, moaning, grumpy, frustrated assholes who will never be pleased no matter what. No, they will always get into their whiny, critical tone and throw their little insults. Hell, I don't fucking get it!

Who the fuck cares about Steven? A drummer whose last moment of clarity was probably around 1987 at best. Who has never composed a note. Who was never close to bright and who after 30 years of constant abuse is a degenerated, brainless wreck with an intellectual level matching that of an average nine year old. Plus, he's still a junkie. That guy can't even talk sense for 5 minutes, let alone handle a tour. The idea of having him back would be suicidal on every fucking level. He'd ruin the whole thing within a week if not sooner.

Who cares about Izzy? Well, maybe a few naive romantics here who believe that being irresponsible, totally unreliable, still more moody than Axl and getting his ass out every time there's a little problem cause solving that problem would be too much fuss is so fucking cool. No it's not cool! It is what it is, irreponsible, selfish and immature. Why on earth would anyone take with them a guy who might just as well decide one week later that, after all, he prefers walking the dog in the corn right now and wants to go home unless he gets 5 milion dollars more? Well, that's the way Izzy likes to play things out. Not to mention that we don't even know how sober he is, he obviously wasn't in 93. Sorry, but reunion is serious business and for any business to have any chance of success, what you need most are realiabe people you can count on. Izzy's proven many times he ain't one of those.

Plus the whole legend and meaning that is now so trendy to attach to Izzy is just insane. The guy wrote three songs for their second album and never even cared about these songs. The rest were Axl and Slash. And don't fucking tell me where Slash is undersigned because I don't give a fuck. Wether it's Estranged or November Rain or any tune you name, it would never be what it is without Slash's guitar. That is the sound of Guns'N'Roses - Axl's voice and Slash's guitar that fits and complements this voice like nothing else! If they were to record more songs like Coma and Estranged I don't fucking mind, I'm all for it, in fact I'd be happy as shit! Even if there's nothing like You Ain't the First there.... And I won't cry over 14 years either.

Anyone getting hysterical here that a reunion without Izzy and Steven (or without Matt and Gilby - who on earth gives a flying fuck about 2 session musicians rented for a couple of years??!) is not a reunion is fucking sick in the head. Fortunately, on a large scale, they're a minority. So, Axl or anyone involved, if you're reading this, which I'm pretty sure you're not cause that would be a real waste of time, just never mind. Most of us are normal in the end. Just not necessairily on these forums.

This is one of the most illogical posts I've ever seen on this forum.

Complains about forum members not being happy about anything and insulting too much......and then doesn't nothing but insult people and whine and cries with a wall of text. She is a complete hypocrite.

But I'm not sure what is worse. All the whining and crying or the staggering amount of factual errors. She also doesn't understand the difference between actual facts and her own personal preference.

• Like 1

The two rhythm guitars, Slash and Izzy, are one of the big reasons that album is superb. The guitar sound on Appetite has been commented on widely. I am not the only one here who likes the sound of Izzy's guitar, interacting with Slash's.

Fucking A.

The Slash/Stradlin combo was and still is rock and roll magic.

Now me, I don't think all that much of Izzy's solo stuff.

I think Duff's solo work and bands are laughable.

Slash? Don't mind a bit of Snakepit, a few off the guest singer album and can't stand Conspirators.

Thought Velvet Revolver sucked a conga line of dicks.

Adler or whatever he called it? Nah, no thanks.

Axl? Yeah I actually really like a lot of the Chinese Democracy stuff, but the album SUCKS and it's stacked cause he's only done that one thing.

Anyways, my point is that even though I think on their own they are all pretty fucking mediocre, together they kicked ass.

Duff is a mediocre bass player, but that sound IS Guns N Roses and you could dig up and reanimate Jaco Pastorious and pay him a squillion dollars a year and he could stick it out for 20 years but Duff would still blwo him out of the water playing GNR songs.

Same goes for them all, it's those 5 guys that are Guns N Roses.