BREAKING: Scott Weiland dead

KeyserSoze

You know what's a great fucking song? You Got No Right - it hits me hard for some reason.

God damn, I remember when they first broke that one out at the Smashbox fashion show. That's when I started to get really excited about the potential of this band.

Thanks for the link to that version, I'm all torn up now. Him and Duff sharing a mic is just so great. I'm sure I'm reading into it a bit, but they just look like they have a tight connection on that stage.

That cover of Angie is fucking majestic – Weiland's really pouring his heart out on stage. IIRC at the time he was going through some difficulties in his marriage, and it's addressed to his wife, hence "Mary."

This is really unfortunate; I didn't see it happening right now because I haven't been following Scott Weiland, but it's not surprising. Almost 11 years ago to the day I saw VR from the front row and it was one of the best shows. I wasn't there for Scott but he was great.

That said he's always been kind of a caricature of a rock star, as his last interview displays. At first it was painful, then it was just pathetic funny.

Anyway, RIP Scott. Sorry you didn't get your shit together. Thanks for the good times.

Slash, Duff, Matt, Mary, the Deleo's.......all turned their back on Scott. :(

Duff fucking wrestled him into rehab when he joined Velvet Revolver – literally. If not for that, Weiland probably would've died back in 2003.

Not to mention that TMZ is also now reporting that Scott had slipped into crack cocaine use (not a heroine relapse as one would expect), and that a handful of "legendary musicians" were in touch with each other in the days before Weiland's death discussing what they could do to help. I would put a significant amount of money on Slash and Duff being among them (and Duff most likely as ring-leader). I don't think any of the VR guys turned their backs on Scott. I think their working relationships frayed, but I don't think they were shutting him out entirely - hell, they played a show together last year! I wouldn't throw stones at anyone for "turning their backs" when we don't know what was going on for sure.

• Like 2

This account has videos from his final concert 12/2 in Toronto:

That's actually one of the better performances I've seen from him in years, followed the day after with his death...!? I know it probably was drugs, but it would be nice for him to have been clean at the time so he isn't remembered for overdosing. Sad news!

I was supposed to be at that concert...

Being a kid of the 90s... Scott Weiland was definitely a part of an 'alternative' band that was very bluesy yet very Beatle-ish weird...

Interstate Love Song & Acoustic Plush still send shivers down my spine and raise my arm hair up...

Damn... Well... cant say I wasnt expecting it... almost all those 90s alternative guys died due to it... that generation was the depression drug addicts... the 80s was glamourous drug taking.

Terrible news. Scott was one of my all-time favorite musicians, so this is tough news to take in.

I saw him live many times, between VR, STP and The Wildabouts. I actually wasn't a big fan of his at first - I didn't "get" it. Then I saw Velvet Revolver live, and Scott absolutely blew me away. He instantly became my favorite thing about the band. From there I got into STP and eventually his solo stuff, I love everything he ever put out. I saw some incredible gigs of his (VR in 2007, STP in 2009, and The Wildabouts in 2013 were my favorites), and I saw some lackluster gigs of his, but he was always entertaining, even if not at his peak. When he was into it, the energy he put out was unmatched. Even when he started mellowing out around 2010/2011 and got into that Bowie-esque phase, I still found him incredibly captivating onstage.

I got to meet him earlier this year at Rock On The Range. It was brief, and he wasn't especially sociable, but I'm still glad it happened.

RIP Scott :(

• Like 4

Slash, Duff, Matt, Mary, the Deleo's.......all turned their back on Scott. :(

I think they all did everything they could to help him. Sometimes (most of the time?) the addiction is too strong. There really is no one to blame here. Life just really, really, really sucks sometimes.

Edited by jekylhyde

One of the best rock singers of the 90s and 00s. Big fan of his talent as a singer, although most of his STP work isn't my cup of tea.

Contraband is still a pretty sick album to this day. It really held onto it's sound a lot longer than I expected.

Shame he didn't win his fight with depression. He's looked utterly miserable and inhuman the past year. It's always a shame to see such defeat in a person's eyes.

He will be forever missed

Edited by Dan H.

This news just dropped a big cloud over the day (and the weather is already shitty enough outside). Even though it's not exactly surprising considering his demons, it was still a shock to wake up to this morning. I saw a couple of Facebook posts and initially expected it to be a hoax. I do wish I could have caught his Toronto show the other night. Unbelievable that those people were the last ever to see him perform, and just a day before his death too. I never even got hugely into STP but for some reason I feel pretty affected by this. Rest easy Scott!

One of my favorite Scott Weiland songs. I always interpreted it as a song about him quitting drugs or at least attempting to. Now the chorus of "And I'm moving on" takes on a whole new meaning and sounds more chilling, sad and emotional than ever.

Was lucky enough to see STP twice back in the day and Velvet Revolver 8 times I believe.. Hell of a front man.. Very sad news this morning. RIP

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

One of my favorite Scott Weiland songs. I always interpreted it as a song about him quitting drugs or at least attempting to. Now the chorus of "And I'm moving on" takes on a whole new meaning and sounds more chilling, sad and emotional than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtwKLIbEZH8

Was lucky enough to see STP twice back in the day and Velvet Revolver 8 times I believe.. Hell of a front man.. Very sad news this morning. RIP

First song when I heard this happened last night. Nearly cried. Beautiful song, always loved it and it means so much more now. "And I'm moving on..." couldn't be more appropriate right now. Listening to Fall To Pieces right now and you honestly forget how great some of his songs were. Pieces could bring a tear to my eye as well if I focus hard enough.
  • Like 1