I'm not happy about the "happy ending" Axl never "owed" anyone.

It's hard to think like Axl. I think as fans we've all tried to, because it's fun to try and jump into his brain without context, because he is such an unusual human being.

I think it's a shame that with the release of Chinese Democracy, there was a feeling of hope in the future for me, that GNR would magically become relevant again, and bring back the same joy I felt listening to the old songs and following the lore of the band, but it became very clear that once the group that actually recorded disbanded, that Axl has just been struggling with his artistic merit, and probably with his own ideologies and thoughts and his life as well.

Connecting to his fans has always been a huge issue with Axl, and I get that he's disappointing your expectations(at this age I don't expect anything from GNR, and nothing can surprise me. I won't be convinced this is happening until Axl and Slash are literally standing side by side on stage together again).

But I guess at a certain point you have to accept that you're investing your emotions into some guy you don't know, who has very happily and beautifully touched your soul with his art. But it's still a guy you don't know, who ebs and flows with reality as much as we all do.

I think Axl's biggest issue is that he gets excited and manic about what he thinks his future is, then starts to realise where he falls into reality, and edits it from there, just like all of us, however he makes a lot of definitive statements and promises that he can't back up.

He's an alright dude, with a lot of talent and passion, but he makes mistakes and promises that he renegs on. The difference between him and you is just that he has millions of people hanging on his every fleeting emotion and thought process, because he's famously private and mysterious

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

It's hard to think like Axl. I think as fans we've all tried to, because it's fun to try and jump into his brain without context, because he is such an unusual human being.

I think it's a shame that with the release of Chinese Democracy, there was a feeling of hope in the future for me, that GNR would magically become relevant again, and bring back the same joy I felt listening to the old songs and following the lore of the band, but it became very clear that once the group that actually recorded disbanded, that Axl has just been struggling with his artistic merit, and probably with his own ideologies and thoughts and his life as well.

Connecting to his fans has always been a huge issue with Axl, and I get that he's disappointing your expectations(at this age I don't expect anything from GNR, and nothing can surprise me. I won't be convinced this is happening until Axl and Slash are literally standing side by side on stage together again).

But I guess at a certain point you have to accept that you're investing your emotions into some guy you don't know, who has very happily and beautifully touched your soul with his art. But it's still a guy you don't know, who ebs and flows with reality as much as we all do.

I think Axl's biggest issue is that he gets excited and manic about what he thinks his future is, then starts to realise where he falls into reality, and edits it from there, just like all of us, however he makes a lot of definitive statements and promises that he can't back up.

He's an alright dude, with a lot of talent and passion, but he makes mistakes and promises that he renegs on. The difference between him and you is just that he has millions of people hanging on his every fleeting emotion and thought process, because he's famously private and mysterious

Awesome post and so, so true.

you have these people goin : it aint choo band, suckah! it's their band, fool!

Ashba, Stinson, they took yer jobs! (Slash's , Duff's)

sure as hell GNR ain't owned by me

BUT

as a die hard fan of the last 23 years, I EXPECT as LITTLE as an EXPLANATION / JUSTIFICATION of their actions

talk is cheap, so speak the EFF up and then you can reunite all you want, washed up celebs

I stand by the fact that you don't know what happened behind the scenes between all of those guys so there is no point in feeling betrayed or judging someone's musical integrity, unless you know more than the rest of us but I'm guessing you don't.

The album Chinese Democracy is what it is, it shouldn't be better or worse on whatever Axl decides to do and that shouldn't reflect on the emotions you have towards it, whether you will disagree with his intentions to be playing with his old pals again or not.

Fair enough, agree to disagree etc. But just out of interest, have you read all of the 2008 chat responses?

Not to my recollection or maybe I forgot about it.

But that doesn't matter, whatever he might have said... people change their minds, their opinions, their point of views, that is what people do. It would be a scary world if we only hold onto our own ideas and can't change opinion if you ask me.

And in this case, we don't even know what the hell is going on, how this is going to work, whatever compromises and intentions are on the table. So it's a bit premature to be feeling betrayed or question his musical integrity.

But yeah, let's agree to disagree, then.

Edited by EvanG

*Edit* I'm a bit happier now.

I don't want to piss anyone off but as someone who has been a hardcore supporter of Axl's dream and vision for the past nearly two decades since the old band broke up I feel bummed out and frankly betrayed right now. And no, that isn't hyperbole.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even get much of an explanation as to why he's doing this after everything he's said over the years. It would take literally hours to read through a list of all the quotes/statements/rants by Axl about why this would never happen unless Slash publicly apologized for all the lies and legal crap etc. Moreover, we've been told time and again that he's all about musical integrity and wanted to write and perform all this new stuff. He didn't even want to "jerk off" by just playing Appetite every night back in 1992.

In some ways, the biggest high for me was when Rio/Lisboa 2004 was announced and I put my fist through the ceiling after booking tickets to see Axl, Bucket, Robin and Brain and the whole New Guns dream was 100% alive with multiple albums on the horizon and future shows focusing on new music. This announcement makes me feel the complete opposite.

On a positive note, hopefully some compromises and agreements will have been reached with "the biz" and the returning members to allow Axl to release the vault material and hopefully Bucket and Robin's stuff will have been left well alone.

Duff convinced Axl to open up with YCBM a few years ago. Hopefully he and Slash will ignite some of his old fire and inspire the sets to be more fluid and adventurous. And, just maybe, we'll get an Axl with the kind of attitude he had in '06-'10 rather than '11-'14.

But honestly, unless he is prepared to give a pretty comprehensive explanation and tell us this is going to be more than a greatest hits thing then I can't get on board.

Of course, he doesn't "owe" us an explanation. But then he didn't owe anyone their own happy ending and all the people who have shat on him, Chinese and the Chinese line-up are all getting their happy ending.

Wah, wah, wah. You said what Jarno and many other newgnr fans probably feel. But nuguns couldn't carry the originals jock.

• Like 1

Axl is a special breed for sure and a unique person, but with that said he's not an alien!

Guns N' Roses is and ALWAYS has been Axl, Slash & Duff, they are the band members that have controlling shares in the band, the fact that Duff & Slash have to sign off on whatever happens with the band speaks volumes. Axl has the majority controlling share, but Duff & Slash still have pull with the GNR name.

Just like big business with board members and a CEO.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

I laugh at Newnew GNR fans, laugh from my mountain.

How anybody could miss the fucking clown show that was (in particular) 09-14 GNR is completely beyond me, let alone prefer it to Slash and Duff returning.

I think that clown show is what has gone on for so long that most of us dont care/dont even remember the good ol days.

For me Slash & Axl live will be fine... but meh... the spoilsport rumors and zero publicity and zero effort to look good is just Slash being mature and doing it for the fans.

As a matter of fact this GNR sort-of-reunion would bring nothing special in Slash's life but was the only way out for Axl (other than retiring). Its win-win for Axl alone.

Edited by Darkness Descends

How anybody could miss the fucking clown show that was (in particular) 09-14 GNR is completely beyond me, let alone prefer it to Slash and Duff returning.

I think that clown show is what has gone on for so long that most of us dont care/dont even remember the good ol days.

For me Slash & Axl live will be fine... but meh... the spoilsport rumors and zero publicity and zero effort to look good is just Slash being mature and doing it for the fans.

As a matter of fact this GNR sort-of-reunion would bring nothing special in Slash's life but was the only way out for Axl (other than retiring). Its win-win for Axl alone.

I sincerely doubt taking the stage with Axl again is going to be "nothing special" for Slash, really.

Neither party in all likelihood missed the downsides of the other from back in the day (Axl's drama and bullshit, Slash's drug and alcohol abuse) during the years they've been apart but there's no way one doesn't miss the other when playing one of the old Guns songs.

No one plays the guitar on those songs like Slash, no one can sing them like Axl.

*Edit* I'm a bit happier now.

I don't want to piss anyone off but as someone who has been a hardcore supporter of Axl's dream and vision for the past nearly two decades since the old band broke up I feel bummed out and frankly betrayed right now. And no, that isn't hyperbole.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even get much of an explanation as to why he's doing this after everything he's said over the years. It would take literally hours to read through a list of all the quotes/statements/rants by Axl about why this would never happen unless Slash publicly apologized for all the lies and legal crap etc. Moreover, we've been told time and again that he's all about musical integrity and wanted to write and perform all this new stuff. He didn't even want to "jerk off" by just playing Appetite every night back in 1992.

In some ways, the biggest high for me was when Rio/Lisboa 2004 was announced and I put my fist through the ceiling after booking tickets to see Axl, Bucket, Robin and Brain and the whole New Guns dream was 100% alive with multiple albums on the horizon and future shows focusing on new music. This announcement makes me feel the complete opposite.

On a positive note, hopefully some compromises and agreements will have been reached with "the biz" and the returning members to allow Axl to release the vault material and hopefully Bucket and Robin's stuff will have been left well alone.

Duff convinced Axl to open up with YCBM a few years ago. Hopefully he and Slash will ignite some of his old fire and inspire the sets to be more fluid and adventurous. And, just maybe, we'll get an Axl with the kind of attitude he had in '06-'10 rather than '11-'14.

But honestly, unless he is prepared to give a pretty comprehensive explanation and tell us this is going to be more than a greatest hits thing then I can't get on board.

Of course, he doesn't "owe" us an explanation. But then he didn't owe anyone their own happy ending and all the people who have shat on him, Chinese and the Chinese line-up are all getting their happy ending.

Oh fucking boo hoo.

If you don't like it, sit in your room with the lights off and play CD on repeat.

• Like 2

I sincerely doubt taking the stage with Axl again is going to be "nothing special" for Slash, really.

Neither party in all likelihood missed the downsides of the other from back in the day (Axl's drama and bullshit, Slash's drug and alcohol abuse) during the years they've been apart but there's no way one doesn't miss the other when playing one of the old Guns songs.

No one plays the guitar on those songs like Slash, no one can sing them like Axl.

Rock was/is pretty much dead since the 2000s. Slash somehow still hit it out of the park with Velvet Revolver. He has always continued making albums (VR's contraband and Slash's solo album were absolutely great)... and I dont think other than personal emotions it would bring anything special in his life. I dont think more money at 50+ would bring anything special either.

I doubt if Appetite wouldve came out in 2000s it wouldve been such legendary (coz rock is dead)... no matter who made it.

It has been so long gone that I dont think it even matters anymore. "Not in this lifetime" was my favorite Axl statement. I love him for that... thats so cool and rebellious... he shouldve stuck to that and I wouldve respected him forever.

My bet is that Axl is struggling financially, alot more out going than incoming.

You really need to release records to make money as a band.

paying too many people who use him, Del, Dizzy, Brazilian family.

Id guarantee that he didnt want to tour back in 2013 when his voice was fucked or whatever year it was but he was forced too.

CD cost alot more than the record label was going to pay and it didnt sell as well as theyd hoped.

Now its recovery time, ITS ALL FOR THE $$$ or he loses his lifestyle and house in Malibu

I don't know why people ignore the fact that Axl owns the name but founded another band with the same name.

The old band is still Axl, Slash and Duff.

Of course I don't know this for a fact but I can't imagine Duff and Slash to be hired members. It's an equal partnership, so it's not Axl's band. It's their band.

I know what you mean, some just ignore it, but to explain the realities would be too long-winded. There are two bands called GNR. One owned by Duff/Slash/Axl, the other owned solely by Axl along with the name. The latter has released just one album, Chinese Democracy. It's easier to say Axl owns GNR blah, last-man standing blah.

All they are currently doing is touring, releasing new music is a different thing. A robust legal agreement about touring may be better for everyone. Remember, Roberta and Tracy earned more money from the UYI tour, than Slash and Duff. Who earned nothing, because of Axl's antics. Being in partnership with him would make them liable for his behaviour and I can't see them wanting that again. Especially at this tentative stage of a new venture. He's already no-showed Kimmel. New licensing stuff will have to be sorted, but most things will already fall under the GNR partnership. Like the bullet logo.

So there are reasons why Slash and Duff might just want to sign-on for touring. Creatively speaking, it's up to them to sort it out among themselves. You can't legislate for that. It either happens or it doesn't. Like the stage design, I'm hoping Slash and Duff make changes, but who knows. They may just be feeling their way around each other at this early stage.

Edited by Babooshka

see,

that's the thing

the OP of this thread wrote a good, long and comprehensive post which he backed up with logical arguments.

And all those pro reunion jerks wrote back was "boo hoo, go listen to CD"

greatest hits fans not capable of critical thinking?

You got it. There's a real irony here in that for years Axl said to the detractors/reunionists "You wanna hear the old band, go listen to your CDs."

Also, there's something of a pattern in that a good deal of the people over the years who are attached to the old era and hate the new era and Chinese tend to be rather boorish and not the brightest people. As in your typical rock fans with devil horns in the air.

Even on the Illusions tour Axl was saying that he'd personally outgrown Appetite and much of the leftover songs on Illusions from a lyrical standpoint. He'd moved on from the drugs, partying, violence, misogyny etc, was doing work to try and sort his psychological problems and didn't relate to that material anymore. Even back then he was actively looking forward to not being obliged to play all of it every night and base the shows around it.

He said that before the 2006 tour it was a big deal for him to try and work out how a man in his mid 40s was supposed to go out, dance around and sing Jungle.

My point is that whilst I grew up on the old music and still enjoy it sometimes, the majority of those old lyrics and sentiments don't mean anything to my life these days. So whilst reunionists can patronize me, I kinda feel sorry for certain people who are so desperate to see Slash and Axl play stuff like Brownstone and Nightrain together. To me it'd be the same as being desperate to see Dave Grohl and Chris Novoselic reunite to play Teen Spirit.

But I am looking forward to seeing Slash play TIL and eradicating BBF's Catcher solo from memory :P

Edited by Jordan Rose

I feel sorry for you man, I'm sorry Axl crushed your dreams, but if its any consolation, he's made many many many more peoples dreams come true and made them happier with this announcement including myself and for that I am NOT sorry.

Please don't take any offense to this, but I think you're living in a dream world feeling like you're owed even though you said you understood he didn't owe you a happy ending, deep down you feel you are owed that and that's understandable, but put it this way, theres a reason why music never got done with ANY of the Chinese Democracy (NuGNR if you prefer) line ups, that reason is because you CANNOT buy chemistry between band members no matter how hard you try. Lets face it, Axl Rose with these virtuoso guitarists that only care about massaging their own ego with some of this crap they've put on records is really off putting to the rest of the band he's had, 3 guitarists in a band is like going on a date with a hot chick and her ex boy friend, theres going to be a pissing contest for sure and none of those 3 people are going to be happy, its the 3rd wheel syndrome and it isn't cohesive to writing a song or being inspired.

I'll bet more than a few times through the late 90s, 00s & 10s Axl probably said to himself on those long lonely nights in the studio "That Fucking Slash, why does he have to be such a dick, we could be making music and eating Taco Bell!" But since Axl is such a bullhead he was determined to make Lemonade out of the bitter lemons he had.

Axl didn't have to try to be good when the old band was with him and them as well, their souls just automatically created music together. The NuGNR could have released tons of music and I refuse to believe that Axl is that foolish to take so long to create a fuckin' record, he may have been a perfectionist, but he did record 5 records within 7 years and that's even with jacking off on the Illusions albums and creating his own synth symphony by hand. I don't think Axl ever felt the guys in NuGNR were a real band or a cohesive band hence why barely any music was released in 20 years.

They were all good musicians in NuGNR they just weren't a real band and they didn't gell with eachother, which is why I'm not quite following why you're so sad about the discombobulated music not being released.

You sheep do love them sellouts.

You sheep do love them sellouts.

LOL! and I suppose you would turn down 100 million dollars to be a grown up and play a few shows that made many peoples lives complete just so that you could say you stuck it to the man or didn't sell out? Theres a good chance you have never and will never be offered that kind of money for anything, so your opinion that you wouldn't take it is irrelevant. Selling out, That retarded thinking died when Kurt Cobains cherry pie splattered on the walls of his attic. I'd put my face on a penis pump box to market it if it meant it could feed my friends & family for years to come.

The truth is unless you had $100 million dollars in your face (or whatever big money there is to be made off their reunion) you don't know jack shit what you would do in that situation, I know what I'd do! I do whatever it took to make that, and if all it took were to kiss and make up and play a few shows with a guy I hated Id suck it up for that, I do worse things for money now and that's take shit from low life lazy strippers that I manage for ends meat with no guarantee that I'll have a job if they decide not to show up (strippers aren't a reliable bunch to have as employees). There are a lot worse things you could do to make money, you could be stuck in prison sucking off big Bob for a pack of smokes, now that WOULD be selling out!.

Selling out is not doing something rather simple that can yield big benefits for many people, I'd look down on them if they refused to play together when it could mean that money they make could support generations of their offspring and their families/friends for decades. Theres something much worse than selling out, and that's being a selfish prick.

But my big finish is, Axl & Slash aren't doing this for money, they have enough, they're doing it for themselves to show themselves and the world they still rock, the money is just icing on the cake.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

I don't think Slash or Duff would neccesarily stop Axl writing his lyrics. It might bring a more hard rock sound or way of doing things though. You can do mature or modern hard rock records.

Will Slash slot into the pro tools tapestry of CD II?

Or would Axl ever do a back to basics analog record with Slash?

I could sort of imagine a record between UYI and CD. Not as hard rock as UYI but not as Alt as CD is in places.

They could potentially do another great hard rock record.

This is why management says stuff like "complaints, complaints, complaints" which I'm not saying I agree with - but, we've just got confirmation of Axl, Slash and Duff officially mending bridges and being gnr again and we're pissing and moaning about something Axl said in the past.

Yeh, Axl said he'd never reunite, he said a lot of things; and he's entitled to do so. Obviously something dramatic changed for Axl and Slash. As we all know even as far back as the revolver interview Axl was still forging forward with current guns and the next album.

Am I bit disappointed, that I probably won't hear the rest of the CD era music? Yes, of course!I really liked CD, and I was looking forward to seeing where it was going! But! I also loved world on fire... And think there's still the possibility of some really good new guns material. I'm just as pleased to get an all new record written by today's "regrouped" gnr, IF that is on the cards too.

Let's stop squabbling over the minute details and enjoy this while it lasts!

Edited by Tom2112

see,

that's the thing

the OP of this thread wrote a good, long and comprehensive post which he backed up with logical arguments.

Also, there's something of a pattern in that a good deal of the people over the years who are attached to the old era and hate the new era and Chinese tend to be rather boorish and not the brightest people. As in your typical rock fans with devil horns in the air.

Even on the Illusions tour Axl was saying that he'd personally outgrown Appetite and much of the leftover songs on Illusions from a lyrical standpoint. He'd moved on from the drugs, partying, violence, misogyny etc, was doing work to try and sort his psychological problems and didn't relate to that material anymore. Even back then he was actively looking forward to not being obliged to play all of it every night and base the shows around it.

He said that before the 2006 tour it was a big deal for him to try and work out how a man in his mid 40s was supposed to go out, dance around and sing Jungle.

My point is that whilst I grew up on the old music and still enjoy it sometimes, the majority of those old lyrics and sentiments don't mean anything to my life these days. So whilst reunionists can patronize me, I kinda feel sorry for certain people who are so desperate to see Slash and Axl play stuff like Brownstone and Nightrain together. To me it'd be the same as being desperate to see Dave Grohl and Chris Novoselic reunite to play Teen Spirit.

But I am looking forward to seeing Slash play TIL and eradicating BBF's Catcher solo from memory :P

Your 1st sentence makes your entire point invalid. "

You got it. There's a real irony here in that for years Axl said to the detractors/reunionists "You wanna hear the old band, go listen to your CDs."

??? Or, he could have said, look you wanna hear the olds bands music, come listen to me and my fill ins playing it live". Sorry, but the real band was 1000X bigger than anything after they split. MOST fans want to see as many of the originals back together. There is no logic in his argument. Axl and Slash are smart guys, they did their own thing for awhile. Both realize that together is where its at. I am glad I will get to see them grace the stage one more time. Am I expecting the same voice, look, and sound as I did when I got to see them in 1988 and 1991? Hell no! Ge doesn't owe me a re-union, and he sure as hell doesn't owe anyone else CD2. If nugnr actually was doing something, I could maybe see it, but 1 mediocre CD and playing the same setlist of the REAL BANDS music year after year, is a waste

see,

that's the thing

This ^

I'm not a fan of Chinese Dem by any means but I absolutely can understand the OP's disappointment in Axl for abandoning a project which, for many years, appeared to be a bold new direction that the band was heading in for a lot of people.

I can sympathize with that, even without particularly enjoying Chinese Democracy era GNR.

Dunno why people think it's cool to be giant stuttering dickheads about it :shrugs:

Edited by Dan H.

see,

that's the thing

I get your point but you're still to blame for being disappointed. I mean, by 2009 when you had DJ Ashba on guitar and Axl looking nothing but a parody of his 80s self, how could you still believe in his grand complex GNR vision? It was right in front of you he had reverted back to rock n' roll and partying and stuff you mock rock fans for.

If you have a problem with people enjoying Axl and Slash playing Brownstone and Nightrain, how do you feel about the people who liked to see the same thing but with lol Bumblefoot and DJ Crap instead?

Dude, NuGNR, the interesting new direction Axl chose to follow ended in 2004, 2007 tops. I feel sorry for people like you and kanudo who still think Axl had a masterplan. It's your fault for not seeing the obvious right in front of you. Now, do yourself a favor, go watch a Slash performance from last years and imagine him doing the same thing with Axl and Duff by his side and be happy that 3 great musicians are playing together again.

• Like 1

see,

that's the thing

It does seem to be a running theme that Old Guns fans are generally a lot more aggressive about expressing their opinions.