I'm not happy about the "happy ending" Axl never "owed" anyone.

see,

that's the thing

the OP of this thread wrote a good, long and comprehensive post which he backed up with logical arguments.

And all those pro reunion jerks wrote back was "boo hoo, go listen to CD"

greatest hits fans not capable of critical thinking?

It does seem to be a running theme that Old Guns fans are generally a lot more aggressive about expressing their opinions.

Now the fans of the original band are the nut swingers? This forum certainly did a 180.

see,

that's the thing

the OP of this thread wrote a good, long and comprehensive post which he backed up with logical arguments.

It does seem to be a running theme that Old Guns fans are generally a lot more aggressive about expressing their opinions.

Now the fans of the original band are the nut swingers? This forum certainly did a 180.

Now wait till the first show happens...

see,

that's the thing

I think fans of the old band that were into gnr in the late 80s/early 90s (myself included) are still recovering (even decades later) from having to watch their favorite band disintegrate before their very eyes and morph into the CD era guns. Even if you were into CD era guns (and I was - I saw them 8 times), the disintegration of the old band was a disappointing experience and when watching CD era guns, I at least always a sense of "man, they're cool, but I wish Slash was up there playing those solos"). Now, with the improbable reunion of Axl/Slash/Duff, which seemed like an impossible thing not too long ago, all of us that were fans of the old band probably feel like we are witnessing something that is practically miraculous, and for people to say "fuck the reunion," it sounds like blasphemy, so there is obviously going to be a very heated reaction!

• Like 1

People grow, people change, people let go fo grudges, people move on. You feel betrayed? :lol: You can't get on board with this but you were on board with his shit show band that didn't do a fucking thing? :lol:

GnR forums. Comedy gold.

• Like 2

Axl Rose knew early on that his Nugnr was never going to work. He pretty much admitted it to Kurt Loder in 1998 when he gave that phone interview from seclusion. Too bad his stubbornness deprived the world 20 yrs of GNR.

He knew that only he and Slash could create magic in the studio. Those 2 were made for each other.

NuGnr fanatics surpass those of Star Wars in the crazy department.

see,

that's the thing

You got it. There's a real irony here in that for years Axl said to the detractors/reunionists "You wanna hear the old band, go listen to your CDs."

Also, there's something of a pattern in that a good deal of the people over the years who are attached to the old era and hate the new era and Chinese tend to be rather boorish and not the brightest people. As in your typical rock fans with devil horns in the air.

Even on the Illusions tour Axl was saying that he'd personally outgrown Appetite and much of the leftover songs on Illusions from a lyrical standpoint. He'd moved on from the drugs, partying, violence, misogyny etc, was doing work to try and sort his psychological problems and didn't relate to that material anymore. Even back then he was actively looking forward to not being obliged to play all of it every night and base the shows around it.

He said that before the 2006 tour it was a big deal for him to try and work out how a man in his mid 40s was supposed to go out, dance around and sing Jungle.

My point is that whilst I grew up on the old music and still enjoy it sometimes, the majority of those old lyrics and sentiments don't mean anything to my life these days. So whilst reunionists can patronize me, I kinda feel sorry for certain people who are so desperate to see Slash and Axl play stuff like Brownstone and Nightrain together. To me it'd be the same as being desperate to see Dave Grohl and Chris Novoselic reunite to play Teen Spirit.

But I am looking forward to seeing Slash play TIL and eradicating BBF's Catcher solo from memory :P

I get your point but you're still to blame for being disappointed. I mean, by 2009 when you had DJ Ashba on guitar and Axl looking nothing but a parody of his 80s self, how could you still believe in his grand complex GNR vision? It was right in front of you he had reverted back to rock n' roll and partying and stuff you mock rock fans for.

If you have a problem with people enjoying Axl and Slash playing Brownstone and Nightrain, how do you feel about the people who liked to see the same thing but with lol Bumblefoot and DJ Crap instead?

Dude, NuGNR, the interesting new direction Axl chose to follow ended in 2004, 2007 tops. I feel sorry for people like you and kanudo who still think Axl had a masterplan. It's your fault for not seeing the obvious right in front of you. Now, do yourself a favor, go watch a Slash performance from last years and imagine him doing the same thing with Axl and Duff by his side and be happy that 3 great musicians are playing together again.

Exactly.

The thread was started by one person who's feeling hard done by.

What about the fans who were there from the start? The fans who saw 5 albums released in 6 years who saw these guys make some of the best music ever seen. The same fans who had to watch on for 20 years while all these guys made some horrible decisions regarding Guns and then watch the Axl shit show roll on. What about those fans?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and everyone is entitled to like what they like, I get that. But those people who feel aggrieved by this decision need to look closer at the situation for what it is.

Axl released one mediocre album in 20 years, he promised a whole heap of things that never eventuated. Now wether that was because the guys he was working with weren't that good and he knew it or it was laziness or whatever, the end result was 1 album, and a whole heap of touring singing the classics which had nothing to do with the guys he employed.

Now the alternative might be more touring and singing the classics, but surely it's better to do that with the original guys then guns 3.0 ???

As for CD2 or the remix album, yeah Axl said that was done but does anyone think that was ever going to see the light of day?

Bottom line, this decision is one where the majority of the fans will be happy and as with anything in life there will always be a minority of people left unhappy.

That's life.

People grow, people change, people let go fo grudges, people move on. You feel betrayed? :lol: You can't get on board with this but you were on board with his shit show band that didn't do a fucking thing? :lol:

GnR forums. Comedy gold.

Exactly mate! Spot on!

see,

that's the thing

I think fans of the old band that were into gnr in the late 80s/early 90s (myself included) are still recovering (even decades later) from having to watch their favorite band disintegrate before their very eyes and morph into the CD era guns. Even if you were into CD era guns (and I was - I saw them 8 times), the disintegration of the old band was a disappointing experience and when watching CD era guns, I at least always a sense of "man, they're cool, but I wish Slash was up there playing those solos"). Now, with the improbable reunion of Axl/Slash/Duff, which seemed like an impossible thing not too long ago, all of us that were fans of the old band probably feel like we are witnessing something that is practically miraculous, and for people to say "fuck the reunion," it sounds like blasphemy, so there is obviously going to be a very heated reaction!

People are still entitled to say "Fuck the Reunion" if that's how they feel about it.

This is music, i.e. art, i.e. 100% subjective, perceived and valued differently by every individual who experiences it. It's not a democracy, and just because there are more reunionists doesn't invalidate the opinions of those who would rather this wasn't happening... But there's a general trend of outright belligerence and a superiority complex embodied in a certain group of Old Guns fans who can't just be happy that the reunion is happening but who have to denigrate and ridicule everything that happened in the band after 1996, everyone who was involved in it and everyone who derived any enjoyment out of it.

You said you saw GN'R during the CD era and thought they were cool... Well, imagine if you thought they were cool enough to be your favourite band (as I said above, this is subjective and everyone's taste is different), well now we've had to go through the same disappointing disintegration that Old Guns went through in the '90s. Can you at least empathise?

Dazey wants a reunion, highvoltage wants a reunion, Axl_Morris wants a reunion... I feel like I could have an intelligent discussion with these guys (and plenty others) about why I don't. But there are others who were terrible losers during the CD era, and now they've got what they want, they're even worse winners.

• Like 1

Now that Slash is back in the band Guns will release a record every other year.

I think that could be actually close to reality. Put Duff and Slash in a room with Axl's vault and let them re -do all the tracks.

There are a ton of finished songs that both men could be working on.

They could probably knock an album together in 4-6 months.

• Like 1

I think that could be actually close to reality. Put Duff and Slash in a room with Axl's vault and let them re -do all the tracks.

They would like to do it, but Axl is known for procrastinating.

They would like to do it, but Axl is known for procrastinating.

For sure, but if the vocal and piano are done...

People are still entitled to say "Fuck the Reunion" if that's how they feel about it.

This is music, i.e. art, i.e. 100% subjective, perceived and valued differently by every individual who experiences it. It's not a democracy, and just because there are more reunionists doesn't invalidate the opinions of those who would rather this wasn't happening... But there's a general trend of outright belligerence and a superiority complex embodied in a certain group of Old Guns fans who can't just be happy that the reunion is happening but who have to denigrate and ridicule everything that happened in the band after 1996, everyone who was involved in it and everyone who derived any enjoyment out of it.

You said you saw GN'R during the CD era and thought they were cool... Well, imagine if you thought they were cool enough to be your favourite band (as I said above, this is subjective and everyone's taste is different), well now we've had to go through the same disappointing disintegration that Old Guns went through in the '90s. Can you at least empathise?

And EVERYBODY ELSE are entitled to point, laugh and or feel sorry for you :lol:

Look, I'd see where you were coming from if Axl and his band had been releasing and touring their own material instead of peddling the "Slash era" songs for all they are worth.

I can respect the 98/Bucket era because yeah they actually did try and do their own thing.

Someone like Ron came in and rode on their coat tails by layering that crap onto the songs on Chinese Democracy- that's his contribution, coming in and playing horrible, cheesey guitar licks over material that was written and recorded like 4 years before he joined.

Oh wait, he got Don't Cry and Estranged back on the setlist.

They don't have anything to prove, those guys are two fifths of one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time.

Can't seriously claim that about any of the "new GNR" lineups though, even calling them a "real" band is debatable.

• Like 1

Schadenfreude Len!

It seems to me that gnr have tried to satisfy everybody but have satisfied nobody. Some want Adler. Some want Matt. Some want Izzy. Some are satisfied with Frank and Fortus. Nobody wants Pitman. Coachella is a crappy festival and overpriced.

Schadenfreude Len!

It seems to me that gnr have tried to satisfy everybody but have satisfied nobody. Some want Adler. Some want Matt. Some want Izzy. Some are satisfied with Frank and Fortus. Nobody wants Pitman. Coachella is a crappy festival and overpriced.

These sorts of things are a lot more rewarding when you're not emotionally involved cuz then you see it all for the joke that it truly is. Anything that renders you incapable of seeing the funny side of life is a bad thing.

The only reason i come to this part of the forum is amusement and the only reason i know there's amusement to be found here is because GnR are the biggest cock up artists in rock history, everything they do is a disaster waiting to happen, its brilliant, its like Some Mothers Do Ave Em!

Edited by Len B'stard

And EVERYBODY ELSE are entitled to point, laugh and or feel sorry for you :lol:

Look, I'd see where you were coming from if Axl and his band had been releasing and touring their own material instead of peddling the "Slash era" songs for all they are worth.

I can respect the 98/Bucket era because yeah they actually did try and do their own thing.

Someone like Ron came in and rode on their coat tails by layering that crap onto the songs on Chinese Democracy- that's his contribution, coming in and playing horrible, cheesey guitar licks over material that was written and recorded like 4 years before he joined.

Oh wait, he got Don't Cry and Estranged back on the setlist.

I don't require you to agree with me, I'd just like you to not be a dick about disagreeing with me :P.

Schadenfreude Len!

These sorts of things are a lot more rewarding when you're not emotionally involved cuz then you see it all for the joke that it truly is. Anything that renders you incapable of seeing the funny side of life is a bad thing.

The only reason i come to this part of the forum is amusement and the only reason i know there's amusement to be found here is because GnR are the biggest cock up artists in rock history, everything they do is a disaster waiting to happen, its brilliant, its like Some Mothers Do Ave Em!

That is why I come here also. Car crash television.