Guns N’ Roses Coachella Lineup Press Release

Josh Freese should be the drummer. He's clearly the most vital member of the band outside of Pitman.

Don't be an idiot.

Axl should be the drummer.

No one plays Patience like Don Henley.

The only true GNR drummer as far as I'm concerned.

How can we forget Don Henley? He technically drummed for GNR before Matt so therefore he's part of the classic line-up. His drumming on a song that really doesn't require drums was incredibly memorable.

I guess I was never a proper 'reunionist' then.

Yeah, this is where I am right now. I'm not sure if I ever wanted a reunion. If Axl sounds great, I would be happy but not that happy because the hired hands that have nothing to do with Guns N' Roses will be there instead of Steven or Matt. And if Axl sounds terribly bad - like in these last 4 or 5 years - I would definitely say fuck Slash and Duff for doing this and joining the circus show.

I truly hope this turns out to be better than expected. Guns N' Roses are my favorite band. :)

• Like 1

In 1992 and 1993 the hired hands that had nothing to do with Guns N'Roses were there instead of Izzy and Steven. And though even then I'd prefer Izzy and Steven, no doubt, the band was still epic, amazing, and it was still Guns N'Roses at its best. And who made it so? Axl, Slash and Duff. And who's in right now? Axl, Slash and Duff. So that is enough for me to be happy.

• Like 1

Matt may have been 'hired' but he played upon two studio albums of original material.

Yeah, Matt is a part of the legacy. He may be a douche, but he's definitely not an additional musician. And say what you will about his metal esque drumming, but on some Illusion songs he was great. The power and accuracy and his machine like style served some Guns songs very well.

He's still nothing compared to Steven though. Nothing. But I like him. I think he should be a part of this, but not crucial. Steven must be allowed to play btw.

Edited by Rovim

Matt may have been 'hired' but he played upon two studio albums of original material.

And? He still wasn't a part of the real deal and very far from it. He just performed a task he was paid for, that's all.

Then there has never been any other members of GN'R than the classic five - by your logic.

Whi

And? He still wasn't a part of the real deal and very far from it. He just performed a task he was paid for, that's all.

Then there has never been any other members of GN'R than the classic five - by your logic.

Which is exactly the case. There hasn't been any other real members of GNR than the original five. Only they were part of the partnership, only they had anything to say in deciding about the band, all the rest were employees. And whether it is this employee or other employee I don't care that much as long as that person can play well.

Whi

Which is exactly the case. There hasn't been any other real members of GNR than the original five. Only they were part of the partnership, only they had anything to say in deciding about the band, all the rest were employees. And whether it is this employee or other employee I don't care that much as long as that person can play well.

Yet they are chucked on the posters as 'GN'R' members, included in the album booklets as 'GNR members' and interviewed as 'GNR members'. When I was growing up, Matt and Gilby were 'GNR members' - it is that simple.

Whi

Yet they are chucked on the posters as 'GN'R' members, included in the album booklets as 'GNR members' and interviewed as 'GNR members'. When I was growing up, Matt and Gilby were 'GNR members' - it is that simple.

Yes, they were allowed to call themselves GNR members and that's it. There was nothing else they were allowed to do in relation to that band. If that is enough for you then fine. But in that case DJ was just as much of a GNR member as was Matt or Gilby...

Like it or not, they were band members. DJ was just like Matt was. How far their "position" went doesn't matter.

Look at Nine Inch Nails. Trent has created the bulk of the library, but has other people who had no hand in creating the music tour with him, but at that point in time, they were members of the band.

Why get into semantics about it?

Whi

Yes, they were allowed to call themselves GNR members and that's it. There was nothing else they were allowed to do in relation to that band. If that is enough for you then fine. But in that case DJ was just as much of a GNR member as was Matt or Gilby...

I completely disagree. Matt contributed to three studio albums; DJ contributed to zero studio albums.

Someone brought up a very interesting point about Pitman and it has to do with what is a band member or not. Pitman was told by mgmt to shut up. You'll never see The Edge saying mgmt told him to shut up. Same for, for example, Dave Murray, Flea, Kirk Hammet, etc. It shows how Pitman, though being in the band since 1998, never had and never will have any power. He is just a hired musician. He was Axl's employee and now he's probably a backing musician in a new Axl-Slash-Duff partnership and he has to accept that and "shut up and play".

He probably made more money than he could ever dream of, being the mediocre musician he is, but I'd feel sad to be in his position. Adn he even called GNR "his other band". Makes it even sadder. If it's his band too, why doesn't he have any autonomy to speak about it? How come Fernando and Beta have more power than an actual member of the band? Pathetic.

Someone brought up a very interesting point about Pitman and it has to do with what is a band member or not. Pitman was told by mgmt to shut up. You'll never see The Edge saying mgmt told him to shut up. Same for, for example, Dave Murray, Flea, Kirk Hammet, etc. It shows how Pitman, though being in the band since 1998, never had and never will have any power. He is just a hired musician. He was Axl's employee and now he's probably a backing musician in a new Axl-Slash-Duff partnership and he has to accept that and "shut up and play".

He probably made more money than he could ever dream of, being the mediocre musician he is, but I'd feel sad to be in his position. Adn he even called GNR "his other band". Makes it even sadder. If it's his band too, why doesn't he have any autonomy to speak about it? How come Fernando and Beta have more power than an actual member of the band? Pathetic.

Beautifully worded.

I mean, how pathetic is this operation? (At least, pre-reunion).

Pittsmna is a completely unremarkable musician. He's no better than any random dad testing out keyboards at Guitar Center.

Fernando- by all rights, a person with zero talent for business, who I'm sure is totally uneducated in business-- is the lord and master of Pistmann and Stuson and all the other talentless nobodies who were hired by Axl to play material which Axl's previous collaborators created.

Pathetic.

Edited by niceguy

Whi

I completely disagree. Matt contributed to three studio albums; DJ contributed to zero studio albums.

Recording drums for a completely ready set of songs where even the drums were probably largely done, just needed to be reocrded isn't really a contribution that is very worthy of mentioning. Shannon Hoon also contributed to the albums and plenty other musicians that added this or that. Ok, that's puts him a bit higher in the hierarchy than Gilby or DJ but only a bit.

To me a band member whom I will regret if he's gone is a person who either composed music, or wrote lyrics, or contributed to the image to some significant extent or generally played any role whatsoever in making the band what it is, someone whose opinions were taken seriously. Matt didn't do any of this. He didn't compose anything, didn't contribute to the image (those 5 boring interviews lasting 3 minutes the longest that he gave didn't really influence the band's image), he never had anything to say as far as making any decisions - so, yes, he was an employee, not a band member like Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy or Steven.

I don't personally have anything against Matt or say it to downgrade him. It's just what it is. There's nothing wrong in being an employee, all of us or most of us are. But if one employee is replaced with another who's also a professional it just doesn't make much of a difference.

Whi

Lol. Welcome to the world of Axl revisionists!!!

Diesel - don't waste your time trying to have a logical conversation with these people.

Their logic is; whatever Axl does is the right way.

If Axl came out tomorrow and said that Matt was more important than Adler and Gilby was more important than Izzy, and he said that Gilby and Matt were in the reunion .........these posters would then be shouting to the heavens about how Matt and Gilby were the "real deal."

It quite funny to watch.

Whi

Recording drums for a completely ready set of songs where even the drums were probably largely done, just needed to be reocrded isn't really a contribution that is very worthy of mentioning. Shannon Hoon also contributed to the albums and plenty other musicians that added this or that. Ok, that's puts him a bit higher in the hierarchy than Gilby or DJ but only a bit.

To me a band member whom I will regret if he's gone is a person who either composed music, or wrote lyrics, or contributed to the image to some significant extent or generally played any role whatsoever in making the band what it is, someone whose opinions were taken seriously. Matt didn't do any of this. He didn't compose anything, didn't contribute to the image (those 5 boring interviews lasting 3 minutes the longest that he gave didn't really influence the band's image), he never had anything to say as far as making any decisions - so, yes, he was an employee, not a band member like Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy or Steven.

I don't personally have anything against Matt or say it to downgrade him. It's just what it is. There's nothing wrong in being an employee, all of us or most of us are. But if one employee is replaced with another who's also a professional it just doesn't make much of a difference.

So you are saying that Adler wrote ALL the drum parts for Appetite, Lies and the Illusions?

Didn't Adler threaten to quit or sue the band if is percentage of the band's publishing or royalties money wasn't increased? He received the lowest amount because musically he contributed the very least and he didn't actually help write anything?

I love how people try and rewrite what actually happened with the classic lineup. Adler was the least important band member in terms of writing and creating original music. He only played on one full album. And he threatened to sue the band. And he got KICKED out of the band. And he has talked trash about Axl for years.

Year some people act like he was the heart and soul of GnR. Crazy.

• Like 1

Whi

I do not agree in the slightest. He played drums for the band at their commercial peak. Whenever you listen to November Rain and hear those big drums at the start, that is Sorum. Whenever you listen to the start of You Could Be Mine, that is Sorum. On top of that he played 190 odd shows as part of GN'R's biggest ever tour.

Whi

So you are saying that Adler wrote ALL the drum parts for Appetite, Lies and the Illusions?

Didn't Adler threaten to quit or sue the band if is percentage of the band's publishing or royalties money wasn't increased? He received the lowest amount because musically he contributed the very least and he didn't actually help write anything?

I love how people try and rewrite what actually happened with the classic lineup. Adler was the least important band member in terms of writing and creating original music. He only played on one full album. And he threatened to sue the band. And he got KICKED out of the band. And he has talked trash about Axl for years.

Year some people act like he was the heart and soul of GnR. Crazy.

I am aware of the fact that Adler wrote nothing but he was part of the original five, he did contribute to the image and the sound of his drums was exceptional and made Appetite a different record, a better record than it wouldbe if someone else did the drumming. Having said that, I don't claim that GNR without Adler is no GNR or that he was the heart and soul of GNR. NEVER SAID THAT!. GNR is fine without him.

But he can consider himself as a more significant GNR member than Matt even if only because he was there when they were trying to succeed and when they finally succeeded, he was considered important enough by the others to be given the role of a partner and he was "part of the tight family". Matt, on the other hand was always an employee. And to me it doesn't make a difference which employee is there as long as that person plays well.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say I want Adler - I don't, the guy is a fuck up. I just dont care if it's Matt or whoever else.

Factually incorrect. According to Axl himself, Matt Sorum was more than a hired hand.

Factually incorrect. According to Axl himself, Matt Sorum was more than a hired hand.

two hired hands and a hired foot.

• Like 1