Guns N’ Roses Coachella Lineup Press Release

Matt may have been 'hired' but he played upon two studio albums of original material.

And? He still wasn't a part of the real deal and very far from it. He just performed a task he was paid for, that's all.

Factually incorrect. According to Axl himself, Matt Sorum was more than a hired hand.

two hired hands and a hired foot.

I get that English is not your first language, but can you please try to make sense when you post? I have no idea what you wanted to say.

Matt may have been 'hired' but he played upon two studio albums of original material.

And? He still wasn't a part of the real deal and very far from it. He just performed a task he was paid for, that's all.

Factually incorrect. According to Axl himself, Matt Sorum was more than a hired hand.

I get that English is not your first language, but can you please try to make sense when you post? I have no idea what you wanted to say.

really? i'll do it, but only if there's another one who didn't get that joke.

Alright, enough of the arguing about who is/was a band member now or in the past or if they were a "hired hand". Make a thread in The Jungle if you guys want to argue those points. As lacking as the press release for Coachella may have been (though it was from Coachella and not the band themselves), this thread is about that - not the shit spewing that's been going on the last few pages and the insults about band members or other forum members.

• Like 1

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, eh?

• Like 1

Axl wrote the drum parts for AFD, clearly. He wrote out the charts and notation. Also, he wrote the solos do Salsh. Stuson ghost wrote the bass for Duff.

Found this when I was toying with making my "Coachella Intro Tape", hit the :23 mark:

Apparently Duff & Slash can confirm your post :lol:

Axl wrote the drum parts for AFD, clearly. He wrote out the charts and notation. Also, he wrote the solos do Salsh. Stuson ghost wrote the bass for Duff.

Found this when I was toying with making my "Coachella Intro Tape", hit the :23 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMRGrFYnVM

I enjoyed that interview haha most informative interview in over a decade

Alright, enough of the arguing about who is/was a band member now or in the past or if they were a "hired hand". Make a thread in The Jungle if you guys want to argue those points. As lacking as the press release for Coachella may have been (though it was from Coachella and not the band themselves), this thread is about that - not the shit spewing that's been going on the last few pages and the insults about band members or other forum members.

you

i like you

• Like 1

If I had to choose between Adler and Sorum, I'd take Matt, honestly.

Steven doesn't really do anything for me. He'd look so out of place in a reunion.

if you'd seen the original lineup in concert you'd understand why steven was special even without matt's technical advantages, GNR was about energy originally it was special energy unseen before at that level...only us that saw the og lineup understand, well most of us at least lol...

yeah Matt is a better drummer from a technical stand point but Steven IS GNR

his drum sound was raw and gritty which is the essence of Guns N Roses

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

It has been the way of bands to place replacements on a contract thus making them technically a hired hand; Ron Wood was on the pay-roll until Wyman left, for a period of c.fifteen years - does that make him any less a 'Stone' during this period? Should we consequentially reiterate that he was a 'hired hand' and dismiss his contributions during that period, only to (hypocritically) embrace him when he was giving some legal standing? Usually fans are not aware of, or do not concern themselves with, the legal minutiae in bands and merely consider band members based on the manner in which said members are marketed. ''Matt Sorum'' appeared under ''Guns N' Roses'' or ''Guns N' Roses is'' (alongside Axl, Slash etc.) in marketing. On the official Illusion band photo,

gnr_circa_uyi.jpg

There are six band members present, one of which is Matt Sorum - NB Shannon Hoon, Del James and West Arkeen are not present. (Sorum is actually more prominent than Izzy and Dizzy in that picture.) This is how most people interpreted, what constituted ''Guns N' Roses''.

Further, the possibility did exist for Sorum to have been hired as a non-band member, i.e. a backing musician. This would have been eccentric as drummers are seen as pivotal to rock bands and usually Incorporated into the primary band, the procedure applying more to backing musicians (e.g. Teddy Andreadis) and/or backing singers (e.g. Tracey Amos and Roberta Freeman) - but possible; bass players after all are seen as equally pivotal and we have only to witness Darryl Jones's status in the Stones' setup.

Yet clearly Guns did not apply this to Matt. The Tokyo video's credits are set out thus,

''Guns N' Roses

Axl

Slash

Duff

Matt

Dizzy

Gilby

Guests

Cece Worrall-Rubin, Lisa Maxwell, Anne King

Tracey Amos, Roberta Freeman

Ted Andreadis''

In other words, Guns specify that Matt is 'Guns N' Roses'; they further make the distinction between 'Guns N' Roses' and 'Guests', placing Matt on the former list and not the latter. Why wasn't Sorum on the guests? He should be if the argument is correct, that ''he was never a band-member'', or someone who is ''less than a genuine band-member''! Was this an oversight? (Gilby was also included as 'Guns N' Roses' incidentally.)

From my rough glance at track-listings, Matt Sorum performed on forty-one studio recordings (basically, Illusion, Spaghetti Incident and ''Sympathy for the Devil'', minus ''Civil War'', ''My World'' and ''You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory''), twenty-six of which were original songs. And the fact he played on original songs is pertinent as Guns are woefully short on original material. This was more, by a considerable mile than any other drummer in Guns N' Roses; Steven possesses twenty; Chinese is a mess in regards to creditation but there are fourteen songs present. Further, Matt Sorum doubled up as an extra percussionist (''Dust N' Bones", "Double Talkin' Jive", "The Garden" and "Coma) and backing vocalist (''So Fine'', ''November Rain'', ''Bad Apples'').

If studio prolificacy counts for anything in GN'R, the band being short in regards to discography, Matt wins the race hands down. Matt's studio prolificacy I believe was the main reason the Hall of Fame elected to induct him, but not Gilby.

Additionally, Matt Sorum performed 194 shows under Guns N' Roses when Guns N' Roses were at their absolute (commercial) peak. The venues Steven played were Hammersmith Odeon, Manchester Apollo, Ritz, and The Budokan, venues of the 5,000 mark. Towards the very end of the Appetite tour they were playing arenas, of around the 13,000 capacity, but only for a short period in Asia/Australasia; don't forget also that they were supporting bands (Alice, The Cult, Maiden), through a lot of that period. The venues Matt played were the (and I have deliberately opted for the same geographic locations): Wembley (80,000), Maine Road, Tokyo Dome and Madison Square Gardens - and this was their own tour! In other words, Sorum was playing to big bull-busting stadium capacities!

The point I am trying to make here is, far more people saw Matt drum for Guns than any other drummer. To the millions who saw the Illusion tour, Sorum was their drummer. If you saw the Paris PPV, as many did, that was Sorum; if you bought the Tokyo VHS, that was Matt. Sorum was the drummer who appeared on their big pompous videos which played on MTV: ''November Rain'', ''Don't Cry'', etc. He was many people's GN'R drummer, and to dismiss him as ''not a proper member'', placing him on the same pedestal as ''Tracey and Roberta or DJ Ashba'', a guy who didn't contribute a note of music to Guns, is not only factually incorrect but somewhat insulting.

Ironically, I'm a bigger fan of Adler but I cannot deny the testament of Matt's contribution.

+ 1.000.000 ! Matt is great, I'd love to see him 100% involved in the reunion band.

• Like 2

Jesus christ I forgot about that video. It speaks volumes about their relationship at the time. Amazing.

Jesus christ I forgot about that video. It speaks volumes about their relationship at the time. Amazing.

Man, no PR. Perfect time to live, everything is washed down through so many people now.

Press release with no press conference. Genius marketing.

The mystery box theory keeps spreading since JJ Abrams used it on Cloverfield and Star Wars the Force Awakens, and now with Valencia aka

10 Cloverfield Lane (Sequal to Cloverfield)
. Now we have to wait and see what Axl and the boys (whomever they might be) have up their sleeves.

It seems weird to me the whole "promotion" thing. Slash and Duff are back in GNR, which is something HUGE but no one seems to care,except from us, the hardcore fans.There was no official announcement from GNR side,not a single word from the big 3. Axl cancelled Kimmel because he is...Axl or he had orders to follow ?If there is a tour, after Coachella, they really need to start promotion as soon as possible..I don't want this to end up in a big failure

Edited by JaxTeller
  • Like 1

It has been the way of bands to place replacements on a contract thus making them technically a hired hand; Ron Wood was on the pay-roll until Wyman left, for a period of c.fifteen years - does that make him any less a 'Stone' during this period? Should we consequentially reiterate that he was a 'hired hand' and dismiss his contributions during that period, only to (hypocritically) embrace him when he was giving some legal standing? Usually fans are not aware of, or do not concern themselves with, the legal minutiae in bands and merely consider band members based on the manner in which said members are marketed. ''Matt Sorum'' appeared under ''Guns N' Roses'' or ''Guns N' Roses is'' (alongside Axl, Slash etc.) in marketing. On the official Illusion band photo,

gnr_circa_uyi.jpg

There are six band members present, one of which is Matt Sorum - NB Shannon Hoon, Del James and West Arkeen are not present. (Sorum is actually more prominent than Izzy and Dizzy in that picture.) This is how most people interpreted, what constituted ''Guns N' Roses''.

Further, the possibility did exist for Sorum to have been hired as a non-band member, i.e. a backing musician. This would have been eccentric as drummers are seen as pivotal to rock bands and usually Incorporated into the primary band, the procedure applying more to backing musicians (e.g. Teddy Andreadis) and/or backing singers (e.g. Tracey Amos and Roberta Freeman) - but possible; bass players after all are seen as equally pivotal and we have only to witness Darryl Jones's status in the Stones' setup.

Yet clearly Guns did not apply this to Matt. The Tokyo video's credits are set out thus,

''Guns N' Roses

Axl

Slash

Duff

Matt

Dizzy

Gilby

Guests

Ted Andreadis''

In other words, Guns specify that Matt is 'Guns N' Roses'; they further make the distinction between 'Guns N' Roses' and 'Guests', placing Matt on the former list and not the latter. Why wasn't Sorum on the guests? He should be if the argument is correct, that ''he was never a band-member'', or someone who is ''less than a genuine band-member''! Was this an oversight? (Gilby was also included as 'Guns N' Roses' incidentally.)

From my rough glance at track-listings, Matt Sorum performed on forty-one studio recordings (basically, Illusion, Spaghetti Incident and ''Sympathy for the Devil'', minus ''Civil War'', ''My World'' and ''You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory''), twenty-six of which were original songs. And the fact he played on original songs is pertinent as Guns are woefully short on original material. This was more, by a considerable mile than any other drummer in Guns N' Roses; Steven possesses twenty; Chinese is a mess in regards to creditation but there are fourteen songs present. Further, Matt Sorum doubled up as an extra percussionist (''Dust N' Bones", "Double Talkin' Jive", "The Garden" and "Coma) and backing vocalist (''So Fine'', ''November Rain'', ''Bad Apples'').

If studio prolificacy counts for anything in GN'R, the band being short in regards to discography, Matt wins the race hands down. Matt's studio prolificacy I believe was the main reason the Hall of Fame elected to induct him, but not Gilby.

Additionally, Matt Sorum performed 194 shows under Guns N' Roses when Guns N' Roses were at their absolute (commercial) peak. The venues Steven played were Hammersmith Odeon, Manchester Apollo, Ritz, and The Budokan, venues of the 5,000 mark. Towards the very end of the Appetite tour they were playing arenas, of around the 13,000 capacity, but only for a short period in Asia/Australasia; don't forget also that they were supporting bands (Alice, The Cult, Maiden), through a lot of that period. The venues Matt played were the (and I have deliberately opted for the same geographic locations): Wembley (80,000), Maine Road, Tokyo Dome and Madison Square Gardens - and this was their own tour! In other words, Sorum was playing to big bull-busting stadium capacities!

The point I am trying to make here is, far more people saw Matt drum for Guns than any other drummer. To the millions who saw the Illusion tour, Sorum was their drummer. If you saw the Paris PPV, as many did, that was Sorum; if you bought the Tokyo VHS, that was Matt. Sorum was the drummer who appeared on their big pompous videos which played on MTV: ''November Rain'', ''Don't Cry'', etc. He was many people's GN'R drummer, and to dismiss him as ''not a proper member'', placing him on the same pedestal as ''Tracey and Roberta or DJ Ashba'', a guy who didn't contribute a note of music to Guns, is not only factually incorrect but somewhat insulting.

Ironically, I'm a bigger fan of Adler but I cannot deny the testament of Matt's contribution.

Best post of 2016.
  • Like 1

gnr_circa_uyi.jpg

''Guns N' Roses

Axl

Slash

Duff

Matt

Dizzy

Gilby

Guests

Ted Andreadis''

you just don't fuck with the DAISY!!