Vegas General Help (Flights, hotels, food, shows, etc)

51 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

All the hotels will keep your bags for you for the day. I'll only have a back pack anyway, so I'll probably just keep it with me. However, for anyone else with luggage, you can leave them at the checkout desk at any of the hotels and they'll hold them for you til whenever you want to pick them up. 

Yep.  I do it all the time.  Ask for late check out too, buys you another 2-3 hours in room if you want.  Then drop bags off at check out (be sure to tip a few bucks) and then you are off for the day.  Works out great.   

• Like 1

Just now, Original said:

Yep.  I do it all the time.  Ask for late check out too, buys you another 2-3 hours in room if you want.  Then drop bags off at check out (be sure to tip a few bucks) and then you are off for the day.  Works out great.   

Forgot to mention late check out. I'll definitely be using that seeing as GNR shows tend to be a super late affair haha. 

Leaving at 11:35 I believe on Sunday night, so that info about keeping the bags is good to hear! Don't know if I'll need to, but was curious that I'll literally have a full 12 hours that day with nothing to do. So its nice to see others will still be in town! Seems many have a late flight so it would be cool to get together with people and reminisce about the last couple days. I'll literally have nothing but time on Sunday to just explore Vegas or lounge around! Thanks again for the info Russ, always coming in clutch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Leaving at 11:35 I believe on Sunday night, so that info about keeping the bags is good to hear! Don't know if I'll need to, but was curious that I'll literally have a full 12 hours that day with nothing to do. So its nice to see others will still be in town! Seems many have a late flight so it would be cool to get together with people and reminisce about the last couple days. I'll literally have nothing but time on Sunday to just explore Vegas or lounge around! Thanks again for the info Russ, always coming in clutch!

I'm flying Delta back to Detroit and my flight leaves at 11:05pm so I'm down for whatever anyone wants to do on Sunday as I'll be in the same boat as you. 

And yeah, that "leaving your bags with the checkout desk" trick is awesome and always give me a lot more time in Vegas. I'm glad someone else mentioned the late check out thing too. Anyone interested in that should make sure to mention it at check in. Sometimes they only allow that for so many rooms, so you wanna make sure you get in on it before a bunch of GN'R fans get back to their hotels at 2, 3 or 4am and ask for it then lol

Seems like most of us are staying at pretty nice places.  I work for Starwood Hotels International, they own Sheraton, Weston, and several other chains.  Just an fyi, don't forget to tip your bellhops, conciegre, room service,  and even front desk folks if they help you out.  Doesn't have to be anything big, typically $2-$3 and you'll most likely end up getting a lot more back in terms of service and perks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Seems like most of us are staying at pretty nice places.  I work for Starwood Hotels International, they own Sheraton, Weston, and several other chains.  Just an fyi, don't forget to tip your bellhops, conciegre, room service,  and even front desk folks if they help you out.  Doesn't have to be anything big, typically $2-$3 and you'll most likely end up getting a lot more back in terms of service and perks. 

Good tip. So I guess really jumping the gun, but while we're on the subject, who would you recommend tipping and who to not? Sounds ridiculous, but I just don't travel very much like this. Sounds like a Seinfeld thing, but do you tip the front desk? Everyone that helps you? I typically know you tip cleaning ladies, but thats about it. Just wondering who the right people to give $2 or $3 to would be. I feel it would be awkward to put money out on the front desk as a thank you unless you were shaking their hand or something lol.

3 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Good tip. So I guess really jumping the gun, but while we're on the subject, who would you recommend tipping and who to not? Sounds ridiculous, but I just don't travel very much like this. Sounds like a Seinfeld thing, but do you tip the front desk? Everyone that helps you? I typically know you tip cleaning ladies, but thats about it. Just wondering who the right people to give $2 or $3 to would be. I feel it would be awkward to put money out on the front desk as a thank you unless you were shaking their hand or something lol.

Personally I would not tip the front desk unless I got some sort of an upgrade or anything else out of the  ordinary.

If they just checked me in and gave me the room I reserved...nah.

2 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Front Desk typically don't need to be tipped unless they go out of their way like upgrading your room for free or waiving a resort fee.  If they do either of those (or possibly both), they are saving you a ton of money....I'd probably throw them a $5....maybe more, depends on how much they do.  If they don't do anything special for you, no need to tip anything at all.  Be careful, some front desk personnel are not allowed to take tips, so if they say no twice, then just say "ok, thanks a lot" and move on.

If a Bellhop takes your bags to your room, typically $1 per bag or $2 minimum tip is about standard. 

Concierges get tipped if they do anything more than just answer a question.  Feel free to ask them for directions, what to do, etc.  No need to tip just for that.  If they order you a cab, make a reservation for you, order you food, etc etc etc...then throw them $2-$3.

Cleaning service.....if they clean your room everyday, do a great job everyday, throw them between $2-$3 per day, depending how nice of a job they do and if they refilled all your toiletries, towels, etc.  If they just do the bare minimum, then just tip them $3-$4 total on your last day, before you check out.

If you're driving, tip the valet $2-$3 only AFTER they bring your car back. No need to tip anything when they take it.

Use your best judgement for anyone else.  If a guy is standing there smiling, not saying anything for a while.....he most likely is expecting a tip.....:lol:

Good luck, hope that helps....:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Very much so! Was just curious since you brought it up and now I have this to go back to for the future! I didn't know if I should just start tipping everyone in the building, because I actually do know people like that that just go crazy. I would have no idea how to go about waiving those resort fees, but yes for that it would certainly warrant a generous tip because thats like $100.

1 hour ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Very much so! Was just curious since you brought it up and now I have this to go back to for the future! I didn't know if I should just start tipping everyone in the building, because I actually do know people like that that just go crazy. I would have no idea how to go about waiving those resort fees, but yes for that it would certainly warrant a generous tip because thats like $100.

Here's a link to a pretty good guide to tipping....more or less what I said.....

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tipping-etiquette-checking-hotel-62692.html

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Original said:

Anyone know does the $20 trick actually work?  I've never tried it, but have heard of it.  

Usually, yes. The only 2 cases I can think of where it won't work are 

1-there are no upgrades available

2-the hotel doesn't allow tipping check in staff

One time (out of a handful I have done this), it didn't work. And it was because there weren't upgrades available. The clerk apologized they couldn't help and gave me the $20 back.

Honestly with how busy this weekend is, and if you're staying 3+ nights, I suggest coming stronger than a $20 to increase your odds.

6 minutes ago, bbedwards said:

One time (out of a handful I have done this), it didn't work. And it was because there weren't upgrades available. The clerk apologized they couldn't help and gave me the $20 back.

Honestly with how busy this weekend is, and if you're staying 3+ nights, I suggest coming stronger than a $20 to increase your odds.

hmm- i'd be thinking you'd just end up paying the cost of the upgraded room when you check out? sure they'll be happy to upgrade you and charge more for it?

8 minutes ago, bbedwards said:

Thanks.  Yeah I'm Wed-Sun and am MGM-ing it.

1 minute ago, Original said:

Thanks.  Yeah I'm Wed-Sun and am MGM-ing it.

You could always just try a $20, but I'd go $50. MGM is gonna be slammed and you're staying 4 nights. I am personally going to try to get the resort fees removed vs a room upgrade. I'm looking at $33.50/nt in resort fees for 4 nights. If it works, that savings will basically pay for my rental car.

2 minutes ago, bbedwards said:

You could always just try a $20, but I'd go $50. MGM is gonna be slammed and you're staying 4 nights. I am personally going to try to get the resort fees removed vs a room upgrade. I'm looking at $33.50/nt in resort fees for 4 nights. If it works, that savings will basically pay for my rental car.

Yeah good point.  I have a room in the Grand Tower for dirt cheap (4 nights) already.  The rooms are nice enough at MGM.  I'll get a resort fee or 2 waived instead.

thanks

• Like 1

I went ahead and rented a car since I'll only be there 24 hours. It was $45 which isn't bad considering I'd be spending $30 total to get to Ballys and back to the airport, plus this way I'll have a vehicle for any running around I might wanna do on Sunday prior to heading back to the airport. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PITBOSS said:

hmm- i'd be thinking you'd just end up paying the cost of the upgraded room when you check out? sure they'll be happy to upgrade you and charge more for it?

If they are charging you for the upgrade they must tell you what the upgrade is and the cost before upgrading you.  If you are getting a free upgrade, they will tell you they are "going to upgrade you to a ..... Or.....at no charge"

So you will know well before checking out whether you are being charged for the upgrade or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Got my stuff sorted out. Arriving early on Wednesday and flying out Sunday at 5pm. :)

What flight are you taking out at 5PM? I don't believe there's a Spirit flight then, and just curious cause I would have much preferred 5PM on Sunday but could only find early morning or late at night (or that 8PM flight).