Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

Did anyone notice that the whole premise of the movie is a plothole? I actually had to check TFA to see if I'm not mistaken but at the end of that movie it's pretty tied with both losing a lot of army but at the start of this one Snoke dude is ruling the whole galaxy and there're like 200 rebels. How? Time didn't even pass between movies 

I think there is a lot of plot holes in there if one cares to delve deep into it! Full of MacGuffins also. That whole sequence to find a code breaker, which occupied much of the middle of the film, was one massive MacGuffin. The bit during that where they are riding on the back of weird CGI camels was like something from the prequels at their very worst. Awful.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bono said:

THIS! Like what the fuck. Her character was designed for us to hate her and feel she's a coward and then at the 11th hour it's revealed she's not and then she gets this big send off and heroic moment. So for a moment that should've been emotional and honorable it takes place with a character who we've all disliked for the majority of our brief time knowing her. It sucked. It ruined the moment. That should've been Akbar who did that or even Leia herself. You're so right. A moment like that should be reserved for an established and loved character. Not someone who we've known for 25 minutes and spent 20 of those minutes hating. 

A friend of mine and I were talking about it yesterday and that absolutely should have been Ackbar or Leia doing that. 

• Like 1

I'd have Rogue One as the better of the prequels/Disneys actually - granted the film was a mess. There is this gigantic drop-off quality from the original trilogy onward. After the originals it basically becomes a case of re-arranging turds and deciding which one is more pleasant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Saw it last night. Was pretty disappointed. Definitely thought there would be some sort of dark twist but nada. Leaving TFA theatre I was stoked for Episode VIII but now I couldn't really care less for IX. 

That's exactly where I am unfortunately. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

How about we pretend none of them happened and revive the old EU? 

I'm not even a fan of the EU, but from what I've read, it's better than what JJ and Rian have made. Except for clone Palpatine.

Fuck that shitty Jedi Prince series for kids was a better story.

Just now, luciusfunk said:

I'm not even a fan of the EU, but from what I've read, it's better than what JJ and Rian have made. Except for clone Palpatine.

Fuck that shitty Jedi Prince series for kids was a better story.

Probelm with old EU was that it was to broad and was left  on its own for too long, but someone could use the good stories it gave us and make a new canon. 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'd have Rogue One as the better of the prequels/Disneys actually - granted the film was a mess. There is this gigantic drop-off quality from the original trilogy onward. After the originals it basically becomes a case of re-arranging turds and deciding which one is more pleasant. 

The prequels at least have some characters that I care about, like Kenobi. I can't say the same for the forgettable mess of Rogue One so that's why that one shoots right to the bottom for me.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

The prequels at least have some characters that I care about, like Kenobi. I can't say the same for the forgettable mess of Rogue One so that's why that one shoots right to the bottom for me.

I think that's it. I liked Rogue One, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it. I think it's there are no really memorable characters and they all die.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I think that's it. I liked Rogue One, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it. I think it's there are no really memorable characters and they all die.

I'm fine with them all dying but the melodramatic manner in which they peg them off one at a time was pretty dull considering we never got a chance to know any of them. Zero emotion.

I cannot really remember it that well but I remember the film being a bit of a mess in terms of plotting and development, and being a random space opera adventure and not really feeling like a 'Star Wars universe' film per se. I really liked the ending, the only segment of the film I can distinctly remember. I preferred it over The Force Awakens at the time but that is not saying much. 

1 hour ago, luciusfunk said:

I loved K-2SO. Reminded me of HK-47 in Knights Of The Old Republic. I also really liked Chirrut - it was interesting to see someone who was Force-sensitive but not actually a Jedi. I'd like to see more of that in other spinoffs.

7 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Ackbar didn't do it because his actor died in the middle of filming. Also, I've seen people say having Ackbar ram the ship into Snoke's ship is too close to "Allah Akbar".

That's...actually a fair point I guess :lol: Had no idea the actor died either.