Izzy Out.....

2 minutes ago, Vissud said:

If you remember from Slash's book, when the formed Velvet Revolver, Slash, Duff, & Matt were the driving force, but Izzy didn't want to commit.

That's Slash's version of events though :) Izzy said in an interview (can't remember which one but someone will have a link I'm sure) that he wanted the band to be a quartet with him and Duff sharing vocals. So he might have committed, but maybe Izzy wanted to just play some rock n roll with friends whilst Slash/Duff/Matt wanted another shot at being famous?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, downliner said:

That's Slash's version of events though :) Izzy said in an interview (can't remember which one but someone will have a link I'm sure) that he wanted the band to be a quartet with him and Duff sharing vocals. So he might have committed, but maybe Izzy wanted to just play some rock n roll with friends whilst Slash/Duff/Matt wanted another shot at being famous?

This is the Axl and Slash party, Duff there to legitimize it?

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

Izzy has said that without Steven it's not the same band. So to him maybe if he will be involved in this hybrid line up with Frank, Fortus, Pitman, then why wasn't he in New Guns? I feel like he does just prefer what he's doing. To the big rock star thing. He might do it if it was the original 5 in a cool way at clubs or something. 

Having said that he might just turn up at some point. Unless he feels like they aren't doing the right thing. 

To me it looks more like New Guns 3 - The Last Crusade. So I can see why he's not in. 

27 minutes ago, downliner said:

Yeah, Slash has said a lot of shit about Izzy. 

29 minutes ago, downliner said:

Slash says all of that in his book. The guys wanted an outside singer and Izzy didn't. Obviously they had a different idea of what that "Project" should be than Izzy. He wanted to keep it low key and they wanted to flesh it out and "go for it" so to speak. Can't say I blame them as that kinda go big or go home attitude/mentality is one of the main reasons the original GN'R was so attractive to fans imo.

On 3/1/2016 at 1:32 PM, Sprite said:

First, don't forget Izzy said "At this point in time, I've no involvement". So don't give up hope yet, things can change as you said.

Second, it's amazing what our minds find to have issue with. 5 years ago, the thought of ever seeing Slash and Axl back together was a pipe dream and it held no merit in reality. So the fact that it's happening and we still have naysayers, is not surprising. Slash and Axl are Guns N Roses to 95% of people who know Guns N Roses. I'm talking general fan base here. Forums are tough to get an accurate radar on this due to the likelihood that if you join a band forum, you are probably a little more into the band than most. I don't think my brother, who loves Guns n Roses, gives a darn about Izzy being there. He wants Axl and Slash. I think Joey Kramer is a great drummer. I even read his book. But as a big, but still casual Aerosmith fan, it wouldn't have effected me if I didn't see him with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry in 2012.

The people upset about Izzy reminds me of the story about the non conforming sparrow who decided not to fly south for the winter.  However, soon the weather turned so cold, that he reluctantly started to fly south. In a short time, ice began to form on his wings and he fell to a barnyard, almost frozen. A cow passed and crapped on the sparrow. The sparrow thought it was the end, but the manure warmed him and defrosted his wings. Warm and happy now, able to breathe, he began to sing. Just then, a large cat came by, and hearing the singing and chirping, investigated the sounds. The cat cleared away the manure, found the chirping bird, and promptly ate him!

Moral of the story:

1)Everyone who shits on you is not necessarily your enemy

2)Everyone who gets you out of shit is not necessarily your friend

3)If your warm and happy in a pile of shit, keep your mouth shut.

I wish more fans were a little more excited that we get to see the main staples of GNR back together again. Izzy not wanting to be involved doesn't make the other 3 the enemy. Time makes us forget the not too distant past of that not having the slightest chance of happening. Just be happy with what we have. At the very least, Uncle Axl traded DJ and Bumblefoot for Slash, and Stinson for Duff. If you didn't like nugnr, you should be happier now than what we've seen recently. Life is too short to complain about things you can't control. I for one am excited to see the band. We'll call it the NuOriginal GNR.

The fact that Izzy is not important to you and to 95% of the "fans" is absolutely meaningless to someone that loves Guns n Roses and understands how CRUCIAL Izzy is 1) for the sound of Guns n Roses live and in studio 2) for the songwriting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downliner said:

There is no "Big Three", it's just a load of made up bollocks :lol: I can kinda understand the whole "Axl and Slash are the only 2 which the general public cares about" argument but this latest label makes no sense, and is just forum lies you see regurgitated from time to time in an effort to downplay Izzys significant role in founding the band and writing a load of the material.

If Izzy changes his mind will we call it the Big Four, or will it just be labelled the Big Three + Izzy? :bitchfight:

Not really. Axl, Slash and Duff have been the ones who are the most well known members of the band. There's an interview from, I think, 92 where Axl says something like, "GnR decisions are made by Slash and me, and then we run it by Duff to see if he's OK with it." During the AfD and Illusions eras, those were the three who had the most media exposure.

Regardless of Axl's name grab and their personal conflicts and separations from each other, those three have been the ones who have controlled licensing, merch, etc. over the past 20 years. And since the classic/Illusions GnR crumbled, they are the three who have remained in the public spotlight one way or another. Collectively, and over the length of Guns N' Roses' existence in various forms, those are the three who have contributed the most.

I love Izzy's work. I was very excited when I got to see him play with Aerosmith a few years ago...it isn't often that anyone gets to see him play live. I don't think anyone can deny that without Izzy, Guns N' Roses would not have existed -- or at the very least, would not have had the sound and songs that it did. Anyone who loves AfD has a debt of gratitude to Izzy. However, he hasn't been really involved with the band since 1991 and in the interim the other three have been the ones who have been there for the long haul. They absolutely deserve that Big Three title.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

By far the most surprising part of this whole GNR reunion is that it got the ever-elusive Izzy to not only start a Twitter but make posts on a regular basis.  What the fuck, is this real life?  This is awesome

• Like 1

It's awesome to see Izzy making regular posts. Who would have thunk it?

I obviously hope his non-inclusion changes before Vegas. But another thing is I really hope it was more than just a money issue keeping him out.

If there's anyone you would think Axl shouldn't stab in the back its his childhood friend from Indy who he hitch hiked to LA to meet up with. The 1 guy who through all these years has maintained a friendly relationship with him. 

I just hope it was about more than money. 

It is the partnership. It is all business. In a paradoxical way, despite Axl receiving the name, the partnership agreement also aggrandised Slash and Duff's control over Guns N' Roses, to the detriment of Stradlin (and Adler). In the document I believe Stradlin and Adler are dismissed as 'departed members' or something similar and effectively removed from all consideration. Effectively Axl, Slash and Duff control all (old band) licensing, future releases and merchandising. Stradlin's only connection with Guns is, his publishing royalties (which he no doubt receives occasionally). When Izzy re-joined Axl in 2006 and 2012 he was put on salary (or paid specifically for x number of shows).

The priority of ''Axl'', ''Slash'', 'Duff' - the fact that even Dizzy (also on salary) is not included in the advertising, and that, there does not seem to be any impetus to proclaim a drummer or extra guitarist - leads me to believe that the three of them have revived the partnership.

It is distasteful and very business oriented, this reunion, but reunions generally are. There is little romanticism involved in reunions.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jjflyer said:

It's awesome to see Izzy making regular posts. Who would have thunk it?

I obviously hope his non-inclusion changes before Vegas. But another thing is I really hope it was more than just a money issue keeping him out.

If there's anyone you would think Axl shouldn't stab in the back its his childhood friend from Indy who he hitch hiked to LA to meet up with. The 1 guy who through all these years has maintained a friendly relationship with him. 

I just hope it was about more than money. 

Friendly...except those times he was calling Izzy a double talkin' jive motherfucker :lol:

15 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Friendly...except those times he was calling Izzy a double talkin' jive motherfucker :lol:

That's mild for Axl. I'm just going to have to do what everyone else is and just hope he makes some appearances. 

34 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Axl had a right to be upset as Izzy just kinda abandoned them and didn't he send a fax saying he quit or some shit? that was so lame

i mean i can get why Izzy quit but he did leave in a crappy way

Edited by -W.A.R-

I would LOVE to have Izzy and Adler back in the band and it's sad that they aren't...

But what's really so terrible with having Fortus and Frank if they aren't there? It's still as many "Real GN'R" members as there were for most of the UYI tour.
And to a degree it's even more GN'R since there aren't the whole circus with back up singers and so on, Fortus and Frank has also both been in Guns N' Roses longer then Matt and Gilby combined.

As I said earlier I would still prefer Adler and Izzy, having Matt there would be really awesome too but The 3 + Fortus and Frank will still rock extremely hard!
I can't belive how many GN'R fans bitching about this reunion thing, having Slash and Duff back in the band is amazing and it would seem like something impossible a year ago and something that every single fan would like but now when that is actually happening some people bitch about it...
I can't understand why? Even if it isn't the AFD five now it's at least 15 steps closer and trust me, Duff, Slash, Axl, Fortus and Frank (maybe Pittman to but he is not at all necessary) will be WAAAAY closer to the "real Guns"  and rock a thousand time harder than NuGN'R has ever done and that is an extremely good thing!

20 minutes ago, T-Minus said:

His first video was a clear dig and now "Stuck in the Middle with you"  does that refer to Steven?  "clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right"   hmmmm

Either that or he's planning on torturing Axl.

A later verse...

Well you started out with nothing,
And you're proud that you're a self made man,
And your friends, they all come crawlin,
Slap you on the back and say,
Please.... Please.....

Trying to make some sense of it all,
But I can see that it makes no sense at all,
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor,
'Cause I don't think that I can take anymore
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

He is so pissed off about something. I'm betting he turns up to play with Steven's band in April.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

Axl had a right to be upset as Izzy just kinda abandoned them and didn't he send a fax saying he quit or some shit? that was so lame

i mean i can get why Izzy quit but he did leave in a crappy way

Izzy had reasons to be disgruntled enough and leave the band quickly. Look at the evidence,

- Axl was pulling his lateness/hissy fits

- the band were beginning to do cheesy videos (Izzy quit just before the filming of Don't Cry)

- The album (Illusion) had been delayed for Axl to add loads of overdubs, and Izzy's creative input (and guitar) was not as prominent on that album.

- Axl was doing legal maneuvers, getting them to sign documents

- He, recently sober, did not want to be around the excessive alcohol and drugs.

- Money was being pissed away on the Illusion tour, on Roman banquets etc.

Izzy got out at exactly the correct moment, when the band were going up the shitter. He kept his musicality and integrity intact.

• Like 2

It's almost hard to remember Izzy was a member of GNR at this stage. For a band that has presented over the top guitarists like Buckethead and Bumblefoot - and here you have the band's best songwriter who is a basic Stonesy kinda guy.

GNR wasn't the same without him 

6 hours ago, downliner said:

Weiland said in his book that Sony was dangling a record deal over Slash, Matt, and Duff and encouraged to do a "supergroup". Kushner took Izzy's place and he said Izzy came back for a little bit, thinking he'd be out of a job.  Even though the official lineup isn't out, it's not just Fortus, it's Kushner, too. 

Slash denies Shooter Jennings was offered the frontman spot for VR but Shooter swore it to be true. I don't know if Izzy was still involved in the band at the time.