Kendrick Lamar suprise album, "Untitled" out today

WhazUp

Fucking awesome, I think that it is further evidence of how great he is as an artist.  Only one listen all the way through so far yet I think it is a collection of worthy tracks for a follow up to TPAB

Edited by WhazUp

Edit: Me gots. Opinion incoming

Edit 2: My gawd. Listening to this was a genuine pleasure for my ears. So very good. This might actually be my favorite album of his...and it's unreleased TPAB stuff. Absolutely love the jazz influence.

Edited by Crazyman

Nice surprise. You know it's bad when a guy's leftover tracks that didn't make an album are better than other rapper's official releases. 3 and 8 are my favorites after a quick listen.

10 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I wisKendricks skills belonged to someone who did more hardcore shit.  But either way, whats right is right, the boy can rhyme his fuckin' pants off, the definition of a prodigy in that sense, just lethal.

That's the only thing that holds me up from absolutely loving him. He comes a little too soft with it for me. Like you said, he's a lethal mc. But if he had that killer instinct damn he would be a bad man.

I actually appreciate the fact that Kendrick has made his own sort of niche, in terms of sound. It would be so easy for him to simply give the masses what they want - more bangers or him just spitting, but I like how he's changed his sound almost completely since GKMC. It probably helps that I like the jazz-influence in his new music though. Funny that a bunch of demos of his are better than most rappers regular tracks.

He still drops bangers every once in a while too:

• Like 3

It's been amazing watching just how much Kendrick has grown from GKMC to now. No one else sounds even close to him right now, as far as I know, and the fact that he can throw out these b-sides and have them be on par with a good chunk of the TPAB stuff is nuts.

• Like 2

On 05/03/2016 at 3:02 AM, J Dog said:
On 05/03/2016 at 3:02 AM, J Dog said:

Nice surprise. You know it's bad when a guy's leftover tracks that didn't make an album are better than other rapper's official releases. 3 and 8 are my favorites after a quick listen.

That's the only thing that holds me up from absolutely loving him. He comes a little too soft with it for me. Like you said, he's a lethal mc. But if he had that killer instinct damn he would be a bad man.

I might've really got behind this kid when he dropped Control but like...it was weird, it was like apologetic whilst being an attack.  It's weird, I mean alright, no one wants beef and people ending up dead, we didn't need that with Nas and Jay but Jesus Christ, at least dont say you got love for them.  And he literally did that with Control.  I remember actually getting kinda excited like OK, this is gonna kick off now...and jack shit happened. 

I remember Fif' coming out with How to Rob and things went fuckin' crazy, Jay got involved, Ghost and them actively went looking for Fif' (and threw him down a flight of steps if rumours are to be believed) and it was just wild there for a minute.  As lyrically sick as Control was (and it was) the attack was kinda...pale.

And that was what was great about rap, it kinda made an artistic competition of music (where before the best you could have in that sense in music was who got the better sales)...but unless people are really willing to go for each other jack shit'll happen.

Honestly, i don't think it'd even matter, it ain't like LL goes for 'bis and it ruined his career, Cole, ASAP, Kendrick, either of these guys could sink the other and they'd still have their fans.  In an era where you got cops rapping (Rick Ross) and people like Slowbucks putting vids of themselves snitching basically i don't think rap really has that touch to it anymore to where rappers are gonna give you that kind of excitement, some of these guys get punked out and next day are on Hot 97 or whatever going 'oh well, it's great publicity for me!', yeah, you've been pubically shown up for a bitch, give yourself a hand.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

I'm so out of touch, when I read that Kendrick Lamar had dropped a surprise album I thought he was one of that awful Kardashian clan.

You're thinking of the big black basketball playing twat that the ugly ones married to.

8 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I might've really got behind this kid when he dropped Control but like...it was weird, it was like apologetic whilst being an attack.  It's weird, I mean alright, no one wants beef and people ending up dead, we didn't need that with Nas and Jay but Jesus Christ, at least dont say you got love for them.  And he literally did that with Control.  I remember actually getting kinda excited like OK, this is gonna kick off now...and jack shit happened. 

I remember Fif' coming out with How to Rob and things went fuckin' crazy, Jay got involved, Ghost and them actively went looking for Fif' (and threw him down a flight of steps if rumours are to be believed) and it was just wild there for a minute.  As lyrically sick as Control was (and it was) the attack was kinda...pale.

And that was what was great about rap, it kinda made an artistic competition of music (where before the best you could have in that sense in music was who got the better sales)...but unless people are really willing to go for each other jack shit'll happen.

Honestly, i don't think it'd even matter, it ain't like LL goes for 'bis and it ruined his career, Cole, ASAP, Kendrick, either of these guys could sink the other and they'd still have their fans.  In an era where you got cops rapping (Rick Ross) and people like Slowbucks putting vids of themselves snitching basically i don't think rap really has that touch to it anymore to where rappers are gonna give you that kind of excitement, some of these guys get punked out and next day are on Hot 97 or whatever going 'oh well, it's great publicity for me!', yeah, you've been pubically shown up for a bitch, give yourself a hand.

Yeah, that fire has burned out in hip hop. The Drake/Meek Mill beef was cute though. Just listen to this shit right here. This hurt my feelings as a longtime lover of hip hop. Past rappers would have never went on like this. Even the bottom of the bunch. Hip hop wouldn't allow it. And if they did they would have kicked the djs ass to get the recording and destroy it. You won't be able to make it though the whole thing.

I guess that's why I don't hold it against Kendrick too much, it's kind of where hip hop is right now. This is its sound and attitude and he's easily separated himself from the rest. Now for me the whole bunch of them feel weak. Even as passionate as TPAB is supposed to be it, it still has a watered down feel to me. I'm not trying to hate on him, I bump his shit a ton. And I know he can't put out banger after banger but it's more than putting out bangers. It's really more of a feeling type of thing. He has bite, but not a pit bull bite.