Rare new footage! - Guns N' Roses @ The Ritz - October 23rd, 1987

7 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

Awesome find - What other tapes were in the lot and which ones did you get? 

Lori Earl worked for Jimmy Iovine and Dre, she probably has a lot of ChiDem-related stories on top of everything else that went on in her career. 

There were some other random oddities, a Curtis Mayfield tape, some Velvet Underground, A tape of The Smiths, couple others that escape me off hand, lol.  Haven't had the time or thought process to decide what I'm gonna do with those.

Velvet Underground - depends if it's this one or a different edit, different show. A different pro-shot show would be as good of a find as the GNR show you've got. The fans were pissed off about this one because it was mostly Lou. 

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

Imagine more shows like this in remastered Blu-ray quality released in a small box set just in time for the 30th Anniversary of Appetite...

VHS is not HD. Blu-ray will do nothing.

6 hours ago, Almost Famous said:

So, I guess I might need to add a little backstory here...(and this is what it takes to pull me away from a multiyear hiatus from Forums...)

In December I purchased a lot of promo VHS tapes, there were like six or eight others in the lot, but I bought it exclusively for this Ritz one, thinking it was a Geffen promo of the '88 show. About two weeks ago I finally had the time to hook up the VCR and watch the tape. Imagine my surprise when it starts with a clip of Jungle, immediately I thought "Hmm, not the Ritz '88, maybe it's Felt Forum" so I youtubed that show and it wasn't. So by this point Michelle comes on and I'm like hmm, this is similar to some '87 sets. So I'm truckin' away though GNRONTOUR and by then Don't Cry is playing on my TV and immediately I knew what show I had. Checked the setlist, watched the rest of the tape and sure as shit. So I ordered up some Video 2 PC thing by Ion, and set to rip it.

Anyways - I'm using this as leverage to get something else for us to watch or hear or whatever. I have received a couple messages from people inquiring but I haven't had the time to follow through yet to test the waters. I decided to make a montage of clips of the show for two reasons - 1. To give y'all something to watch and 2. Proof. Year in and year out there's always someone coming out of the woodwork and claiming to have this video show or that video show or this unreleased song but no one ever has solid proof. Maybe this can drudge out the VMA Rehearsals, maybe this can drudge out something else long forgotten on a promo VHS sitting on eBay waiting to be discovered, who knows. All I know is I have the fans best interest with this, because I want you all to see this as much as I want you all to see whatever else is out there.

Also, I'd like to say that it's great to see this thread here, because it was like a walk down memory lane last night seeing postings from Crazyman, GNR 1991, Bond (whom I recall but can't place, sorry man!) and some other posters during my "glory years" here about a decade ago. Also nice to have some of the positive support of some key players on this board on my side, then again - it stems from years ago when I was what I guess could be considered a "major player" ad knowledgeable source in the Bootleg scene.

Crazyman - I totally forgot about that whole Donington Micpad thing! Great times, Timebomb was so pissed off! But man, you're right, there is may elitist bastards in that scene and was one of numerous things that caused me to part ways with that...crowd. Don't get me wrong, there is a handful who did wonders but there's still an elitist bunch.

Anyways, nice hanging with y'all this morning - I'm sure I'll see some of you over the course of the next month or so. To all those who've said a positive word about me in this thread - thank you. Some of you I haven't seen a post from, or talked to in years, so it definitely was surprising to read that so many of y'all remembered some of the things I did for the Bootleg circles years ago.

/A.

rtz.jpg

12645030_10153895015752505_3665162821279651931_n.jpg

This is super awesome but PLEASE don't stretch 4:3 VHS footage to 16:9 ever again. Thank you.

Edited by eggers
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Right, but the master of this is somewhere in the vaults and could be converted. It would still be SD, but much higher quality than VHS.

Precisely. I meant for an official release, not just the fan releases. The band would have access to the masters and could tidy up the footage and audio very nicely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Almost Famous said:

Unfortunately the transition you see from the rant into Mama Kin is just like it is on the VHS. It's about the ONLY thing I am disappointed with on this tape, lol.

Ah...so whoever edited this at Geffen originally was to blame, LOL! Thank you for clarifying, and thank you again for making this footage available. It has been one of the shows on my "want to see" wishlist for a long time, and I really appreciated the footage that was released. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there was more live footage floating around from 87-89, when everybody was hungry, kicking ass and on the same page. They sound great in that Ritz footage, better than the famous gig we've all seen but there's something chaotic and carefree about that show that you don't really care that they are sloppy as hell and out of tune.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I wish there was more live footage floating around from 87-89, when everybody was hungry, kicking ass and on the same page. They sound great in that Ritz footage, better than the famous gig we've all seen but there's something chaotic and carefree about that show that you don't really care that they are sloppy as hell and out of tune.

Hell yeah... In my opinion that was when they were at the top of their game.. I have been listening to a lot of bootlegs lately and those years were killer.. Hope they release something official.. I like the other footage from 88 that just recently surfaced better than this actually. 

The tape is date stamped on the front, January 8th 1988, so it couldn't have been the February 2nd show, that was a giveaway.

But I get that you couldn't know that before you received it...

Thank you for the preview, looking forward to the full thing !

if i had the choice between a high quality audio / blu ray version of this gig, or taking the risk and being at the first reunion concert, i wouldnt know which to chose.

in ten years time, what will matter most? a concert recorded in their prime (of which we dont have any official) or a hazy memory of a not-so-great-reunion-after all?

i hope they at least give us that: some killer classic concerts from 1987

On 2016. 03. 18. at 0:33 AM, action said:

if i had the choice between a high quality audio / blu ray version of this gig, or taking the risk and being at the first reunion concert, i wouldnt know which to chose.

in ten years time, what will matter most? a concert recorded in their prime (of which we dont have any official) or a hazy memory of a not-so-great-reunion-after all?

i hope they at least give us that: some killer classic concerts from 1987

Lol i would choose (and risk) the show, because you will eventually have this footage at some point....

On March 6, 2016 at 0:53 PM, Almost Famous said:

So, I guess I might need to add a little backstory here...(and this is what it takes to pull me away from a multiyear hiatus from Forums...)

In December I purchased a lot of promo VHS tapes, there were like six or eight others in the lot, but I bought it exclusively for this Ritz one, thinking it was a Geffen promo of the '88 show. About two weeks ago I finally had the time to hook up the VCR and watch the tape. Imagine my surprise when it starts with a clip of Jungle, immediately I thought "Hmm, not the Ritz '88, maybe it's Felt Forum" so I youtubed that show and it wasn't. So by this point Michelle comes on and I'm like hmm, this is similar to some '87 sets. So I'm truckin' away though GNRONTOUR and by then Don't Cry is playing on my TV and immediately I knew what show I had. Checked the setlist, watched the rest of the tape and sure as shit. So I ordered up some Video 2 PC thing by Ion, and set to rip it.

Anyways - I'm using this as leverage to get something else for us to watch or hear or whatever. I have received a couple messages from people inquiring but I haven't had the time to follow through yet to test the waters. I decided to make a montage of clips of the show for two reasons - 1. To give y'all something to watch and 2. Proof. Year in and year out there's always someone coming out of the woodwork and claiming to have this video show or that video show or this unreleased song but no one ever has solid proof. Maybe this can drudge out the VMA Rehearsals, maybe this can drudge out something else long forgotten on a promo VHS sitting on eBay waiting to be discovered, who knows. All I know is I have the fans best interest with this, because I want you all to see this as much as I want you all to see whatever else is out there.

Also, I'd like to say that it's great to see this thread here, because it was like a walk down memory lane last night seeing postings from Crazyman, GNR 1991, Bond (whom I recall but can't place, sorry man!) and some other posters during my "glory years" here about a decade ago. Also nice to have some of the positive support of some key players on this board on my side, then again - it stems from years ago when I was what I guess could be considered a "major player" ad knowledgeable source in the Bootleg scene.

Crazyman - I totally forgot about that whole Donington Micpad thing! Great times, Timebomb was so pissed off! But man, you're right, there is may elitist bastards in that scene and was one of numerous things that caused me to part ways with that...crowd. Don't get me wrong, there is a handful who did wonders but there's still an elitist bunch.

Anyways, nice hanging with y'all this morning - I'm sure I'll see some of you over the course of the next month or so. To all those who've said a positive word about me in this thread - thank you. Some of you I haven't seen a post from, or talked to in years, so it definitely was surprising to read that so many of y'all remembered some of the things I did for the Bootleg circles years ago.

/A.

rtz.jpg

12645030_10153895015752505_3665162821279651931_n.jpg

Dude,  I hadn't realized you were the man behind this until I read this post.  I remember publicly arguing with Madison on the forums years ago when she banned you, saying that it was an idiotic move banning such a key member in the bootleg scene and a wealth of GNR information, almost getting myself banned at the same time for posting messages from you to the forum, hahahaha.   Man oh man how the time flies by.  Here we are now a decade later on the edge of a near reunion gig and you've got what could very well be considered the Holy grail of early GNR tapes. I guess if she was still around I could finally say "told ya so!!!"  

Welcome back!!

A8R

• Like 1