Opener for Summer N.A. Tour?

30 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Get D'arcy and Iha in there and record a new album/tour the world.

I can see that happening with Iha, not D'Arcy, tho. She's too fucked up and long gone head-wise. She's basically the Adler of that band.

29 minutes ago, buzzsaw said:

I saw them open for gnr once and that was enough. They were awful. 

Saw who open for gnr once?

A stadium crowd is tricky. Need enough radio hits and clean vocals to entertain the people drinking $20 beers

If they're willing to pay:

Smashing Pumpkins

Marilyn Manson

Soundgarden

If they're going cheap, might be a washed up 90s band:

Collective Soul

Bush

In between:

Lenny Kravitz 

34 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I can see that happening with Iha, not D'Arcy, tho. She's too fucked up and long gone head-wise. She's basically the Adler of that band.

Saw who open for gnr once?

Smashing Pumpkins.  Chicago 92. Amazing show, but the pumpkins were awful. Maybe it was a sound issue or maybe I was too close to the stage, but it was bad. 

Edited by buzzsaw
Had to be done

11 minutes ago, buzzsaw said:

Smashing Pumpkins.  Chicago 92. Amazing show, but the pumpkins were awful. Maybe it was a sound issue or maybe I was too close to the stage, but it was bad. 

Saw the current version last summer, one of the best sounding shows I've ever been to.

2 hours ago, fallglimmer said:

D'Arcy didn't even play on most of the albums, Billy played her parts.

Saw them open for GN'R back in the day and saw the same version you did last summer. VAST imrovement with last summer's show over the time I saw them open for GN'R.

The Pumpkins would be a good choice. Corgan has praised Axl quite a bit through the years, so he's definitely not on the enemy list. They have a lot of great songs that the general public and GN'R fans would recognize, plus they fit very nicely in the early to mid 90's nostalgia of UYI Tour Part 2.

• Like 1

SD was the only album Billy recorded himself. Most of the other albums were the band. Even when the Pumpkins got back together Billy and Jimmy did all the studio stuff up to oceania. 

Honestly if James came back I could see the Pumpkins open but it would make more sense for Soundgarden to open. The pumpkins are just boring lately. 

Edited by Hollywood Zombie

1 minute ago, AFD5 said:

It's a shame Skid Row & Baz couldn't fix things they'd have been perfect for opening for GNR they were brilliant at Wembley Stadium in 1991

I don't think that'd do a whole lot for ticket sales, but I'd love to see it personally.

12 hours ago, GoBucky said:

Can there really be a big name opener with these shows starting at 8:30? Don't most of these outdoor venues have curfews? I know Soldier Field is 11:30 or midnight. 

Everywhere GN'R has played for the past 30 years has a curfew haha. I'm sure they'll work those things out ahead of time.

31 minutes ago, circusboy666 said:

Helmet, AIC, Blind Melon, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Tenacious D, Weezer, Faith No More, Primus...I'm good with any combo of these.

Weezer went down like a lead balloon supporting GnR in London.

19 hours ago, NineInchGun said:

A stadium crowd is tricky. Need enough radio hits and clean vocals to entertain the people drinking $20 beers

If they're willing to pay:

Smashing Pumpkins

Marilyn Manson

Soundgarden

If they're going cheap, might be a washed up 90s band:

Collective Soul

Bush

In between:

Lenny Kravitz 

Sorry, but you think Bush is more washed up than Marilyn Manson?  I'm a fan of both and while both of them are still making music the key difference is that Manson's shtick wore thin years ago while Bush continues on without the need for shock rock gimmicks.  Again, I say this as a fan of both bands but I couldn't see Manson opening for GNR as well as I could see Bush, I think most casual GNR fans would prefer Bush over Manson considering the two different styles between them.