Welcome Melissa Reese to Guns N' Roses!

7 hours ago, tremolo said:

Melissa must be stoked, but she must also feel a huge pressure and a need to prove herself because she is in a high-profile band, because she is a woman, because she's the youngest of the bunch, because she is the newest member in the band.

the girl has balls. I appreciate that!

• Like 2

Have we even confirmed that Melissa is a member of the band? Or is she a touring member like a Teddy Zig Zag per say in the old days?

To those who say that it is sexist to claim that Melissa should not be a member of the band, I would disagree... and in fact think that's overly simplistic. Not everything is about sexism, racism, exclusion, etc. Sometimes the reason for diversity is just about maintaining the identity that the organisation carries with its relevant audiences/clients. We should celebrate diversity in the world, and let institutions stand for what they are. If a band is founded as a mixed boy/girl group, and that's what it stands for, then obviously it's not a problem when a new male or female member joins. But, we would not want a boy to join a girl group, and similarly unfortunately, in Melissa's example, it happens to be the case that to most, G'n'R is a revered male, hard rock band from the 1980s and 90s with a mean streak for violent/unpredictable behaviour and this identity is not something these fans would let transform easily, and I think rightfully so. Music groups do go through changes constantly, but when the change occurs suddenly and at the very root of what the band stands for... that's when some will have reservations. I, for one, actually really enjoyed seeing Melissa on stage and thought her stage presence was quite good from the clips we've seen, and think her chemistry with the group will only improve. However, I'd naturally still prefer her to be a touring member rather than a member of the band... I suppose we'll find out which is the case soon.

Edited by Madagascar88

They are supposed to be a dangerous live band. 

Promoted as #GnFnR

A second keyboardist/computer geek/DJ/Male Cheerleader/Female Cheerleader/Synth Pop Maestro/Raver AIN'T FUCKING DANGEROUS.

Just eliminate the position.

Just now, killuridols said:

that's bad because today's music is for sissy conformed terrified kids.

you're probably listening to wrong bands then. oh yeah there are "dangerous" bands nowadays, but these are young and fresh, not 50+ old rockers (that's of course nothing bad against GNR, but it's the way it is)

2 minutes ago, zombux said:

you're probably listening to wrong bands then. oh yeah there are "dangerous" bands nowadays, but these are young and fresh, not 50+ old rockers (that's of course nothing bad against GNR, but it's the way it is)

Mainstream music has nothing dangerous to it..... Miley Cirus? :rofl-lol: Justin Bieber? :rofl-lol: Ariana Grande? :rofl-lol: Taylor Swift? :rofl-lol:

gimme a break!

15 minutes ago, zombux said:

grow up, it's not 1987 anymore.

No shit.  Why don't they have Miley Cyrus open up for them to help sell out the stadiums then? 

Oh, and tell AXL that we ALL GREW UP so he better come out on time since we are all "grown up" now. 

These guys can play the fuck out of those songs without someone in that party position. Period.

Edited by KURT19
mispelled

These guys are in their 50s. They all have outside concerns. They're sober. They have investment portfolios and own property. Some of them have kids -- some of whom are now young adults themselves. Yes, they HAVE grown up. Anyone who attends the shows expecting to relive the 1980s or see DANGEROUS111!!!!! 25 year olds who destroy hotel rooms and take lots of drugs is going to be very disappointed. They aren't those people anymore.

Honest question for you @Tom-Ass because you are the first one of the forum I thought of.. Will you cry if Steven and Izzy replace Frank and Richard for a few songs but Melissa/Pitman and Dizzy stay in to play keys? Sounds crazy I know but Axl and co. apparently think they are both doing something vital on the appetite tracks.

I haven't followed this thread so not sure what the consensus is, but are we sure she didn't just do a temporary fill in thing? Seems like they'd have announced something official if it's permanent? It's funny how she did what Pitman does and has done for almost 20 years and she probably got more approval in a single show from fans than he has his entire career. So is it because:

A) Pitman called the fans dildos and we are upset

B) We don't really know what Pitman does (Although that sub bass really makes you feel and his dancing at Bridge school was legendary on You're crazy)

C) She is a woman

D) She was part of the first show with Axl, Duff and Slash since 93

In all seriousness the Chinese Democracy era was great for me so I'd be a little bummed if Pitman was gone. I mean if we are going to keep the 2nd keyboardist as a primary member and marketed as such, I'd prefer it be the guy who wrote a good chunk of stuff and has been with the band for 20 years almost. On the other hand we are talking a 2nd keyboardist buried away behind the drums at the back of the stage. So I don't know how much it matters who is there in a live setting? It's also not really any different than having T&R during the Illusions, Melissa would just get the honorary title today I guess.

Melissa has a connection to Brian and Buckethead so score one for knowing the right people. She could have been the perfect temporary fill in? Plus Pitman still lists GNR on his twitter/facebook correct? 

4 hours ago, zombux said:

True but it doesn't change the fact she's no better than having pitman. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zombux said:

and who was talking about mainstream music? ;)

We all are. When GNR became famous they were THE band kids would listen to. They were dangerous, raw, drug addicts, abused and abusers, full of rage and frustration inside. They were not the "proper" idols for a 13 years old boy/girl. Yet, most of their fans were little kids like me, even 9-10 years old kids, that was insane!

That's the kinda thing we grew up with and the songs, the music will remain dangerous forever, despite the fact that the band members are living a different life now, none of their lives resembles Cosplay, emoji, animé and whatever shit this Melissa kid does for a living.

Damn, if we're gonna have a kid in the band then let's bring Grace McKagan! She at least has some rock in the veins!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alfierose said:

He talks here about considering a female lead for VR, maybe it wasn't a serious consideration in all likelihood, but he isn't dead set against it.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1458724/former-guns-n-roses-members-form-band-dont-rule-out-courtney-love-as-singer/

Female contenders aren’t being ruled out, either, Slash added. “If we got a girl that sounded like Janis Joplin crossed with Joan Jett with a bit of Tina Turner, that would be rocking,” he said. “That would be an unprecedented move, because no one would expect that. But just not that many girls have actually applied.

I have mixed feelings about Melissa, I like the idea of a female member in theory - I remember musing a few years back that having a Meg White type drummer might be cool. After watching the extended Jungle clip however, the visual of a bunch of 50+ men and a young woman feels slightly off kilter, I don't think this is purely a gender thing as a young guy might look equally out of place. Perhaps it's in part to do with my age that I feel this way - like we need any more reminders that 20+ years have passed in a heartbeat :lol:. I can see why many fans with youth on their side won't see it as a big deal though.

Having said that, her resume is good and her backing vocals on the clip have a decent higher register none of the others could provide. In an arena or stadium setting, like Pitman, she's not going to be up front of stage so all said and done it probably doesn't matter one bit in a live setting.

I'm sure she is beyond stoked to be a part of this. Just imagine being in her shoes!

I think he forgot to add that this Joplin/Jett/Turner singer would also need to perform while juggling 6 chainsaws and shooting butterflies out of her butt.  

Slash did a Q & A on snakepit.org back in 2000, which granted, precedes the above quote by a couple of years.  When asked if he would consider a female vocalist or singer for his band he replied:

"No, I wouldn't.  I've been in bands with female artists, and there can be so many problems.  The band should bond as a unit, but inevitably someone in the band starts going out with the girl, and someone else is jealous.  The band starts to split apart.  Examples are Fleetwood Mac and No Doubt.  It makes everything more cohesive if the band is all guys."

He's stayed true to his word, and I don't personally ever see Slash hiring a Bratz doll to play in one of his own bands.  But Guns isn't his band anymore, so it seems that this was most likely something he had to give up, whether it was a big deal to him or not we may never know.   And sure, I bet she must have been super excited when she landed a cool new job, but I really couldn't imagine being in her shoes, especially the glittery ones.  

13 hours ago, fantomas said:

So, I thought we were going down to one keyboardist.  So Pitman mouthed off and screwed his chances? What a tool.

This is what blows my mind. I thought he got downsized and his comments might be aimed at the press who were ignoring him. But it does sound like he pissed off the boss. I'd love to know for sure what happened, but I totally wasn't expecting a second keyboardist.

7 hours ago, zombux said:

grow up, it's not 1987 anymore.

This. They're not strung out junkies with anger issues (ok, maybe some anger issues) - if anyone thinks Axl is gonna superman punch a biker, you might be disappointed.

Besides, who's to say Melissa doesn't cut someone? ;)

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

We all are. When GNR became famous they were THE band kids would listen to. They were dangerous, raw, drug addicts, abused and abusers, full of rage and frustration inside. They were not the "proper" idols for a 13 years old boy/girl. Yet, most of their fans were little kids like me, even 9-10 years old kids, that was insane!

That's the kinda thing we grew up with and the songs, the music will remain dangerous forever, despite the fact that the band members are living a different life now, none of their lives resembles Cosplay, emoji, animé and whatever shit this Melissa kid does for a living.

Damn, if we're gonna have a kid in the band then let's bring Grace McKagan! She at least has some rock in the veins!

If we survived Ashba, then we can survive a chick who is barely audible and probably on a big stage can be barely visible

I think as long as Slash and Duff are cool with it, then we should not complain about it

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 2