China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

Sounds like there's still a lot of uncertainty re: Duff and Slash being on a future GnR album or being a cohesive unit after the tour. I thought that would be definitive that this is the lineup that will be releasing future albums...

*Slash says in his book about ten times "this is just my opinion on what happened, Axl probably saw it a completely different way" or words to that effect.

*The shoes do look cool. 

*Hopefully somebody asked about new music. That's really the main thing that matters. 

New music with the current line up?

When would it be released?

Will you play new songs on this current tour?

What is going to happen to the songs for CD2 and CD3? 

Will the remix album be released?

Is this GnR now or is it a one off deal? It's been reported that Slash has written songs with the Conspirators. Is Slash leaving GnR after this tour, or is he playing with both bands? 

How come Frank and Fortus were kept instead of original members Adler and Izzy? Any chance they will show up as a guest for a show? What do you say to the fans that are dissapointed and confused as to why you didn't do an actual reunion?

What's the reason behind having Frank play the songs so fast?

How long have you and Slash been talking? Who made the first call? 

How long did it take for reunion talks to start? And once they did, how long until everything was finalized?

Do you regret losing Bucket and Robin? That lineup appeared to have a lot of fire and potential to push you to new levels.

If DJ hadn't quit, were you really going to go with three guitar players?

Do you feel like you've let your fans down by only releasing one album of original material in the last 25 years? Any chance you can rectify that over the next year by cleaning out the vault? Why not release CD2, CD3 and fhe remix album this year. Then a brand new GnR album and ACDC album in 2017. 

How often do you personally check out the GnR forums? And if you do, do you ever post (under a fake name, of course)?

Now that it's far in the past and you've matured and relaxed, do you look back at the Illusions tour and have regrets for your actions - starting shows 2-3 hours late, alienating yourself from the other guys with the theme parties, not playing a killer show after Hetfield burned his arm, and the general behavior that made people start referring to you as a diva?

What are your thoughts on how critics, your fans and rock and roll fans received Chinese Democracy? 

How do you respond to your diehard loyal fans who say they loved the CD leaks - which were raw and full of energy - but were dissapointed with how the songs were finalized for the album. Tinkered with to death, too many layers, too much cut and paste. A lot of fans think CD would have been way better if you hadn't over processed it to death.

Do band members have a form of a gag order? There has always been rumors of them, but some so-called insiders always say there isn't....but Pittman mouths off and immediately gets fired!

How did you feel about Erin auctioning off those personal items?

Do you still believe that you and Stephanie lived in past lives together? 

Do you - or did you - really have a notebook where you kept detailed records of when people talked badly about you?

What did Tom Petty say to you backstage after you blew him offstage while performing Free Falling?

Why didn't you show up and fight Vince?

How much credit (or not) do you give the singer of Shark Island for helping you "develop" your stage moves?

Hairmetalmusic.com named Chinese Democracy as the most underrated rock album of all time and Civil War as fhe second most underrated rock song of all time. How high do those honors rank on your all time achievement scale? 

And finally, can you take one picture without the hat, glasses, and layers of clothes on so she ladies of the forum can have something to drool over for the rest of the year?

That would about cover my list of questions. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ACP said:

PS I've never had the opportunity to see Axl perform live first time round or during the CD years, so this was a special evening for me and that's why I asked that question, I'm going to make sure I see GnR the second time around. 

image.jpeg

So he did actually tattoo over the Appetite cross?

Edited by youngswedishvinyl

14 minutes ago, Apollo said:

*Slash says in his book about ten times "this is just my opinion on what happened, Axl probably saw it a completely different way" or words to that effect.

*The shoes do look cool. 

*Hopefully somebody asked about new music. That's really the main thing that matters. 

New music with the current line up?

When would it be released?

Will you play new songs on this current tour?

What is going to happen to the songs for CD2 and CD3? 

Will the remix album be released?

Is this GnR now or is it a one off deal? It's been reported that Slash has written songs with the Conspirators. Is Slash leaving GnR after this tour, or is he playing with both bands? 

How come Frank and Fortus were kept instead of original members Adler and Izzy? Any chance they will show up as a guest for a show? What do you say to the fans that are dissapointed and confused as to why you didn't do an actual reunion?

What's the reason behind having Frank play the songs so fast?

How long have you and Slash been talking? Who made the first call? 

How long did it take for reunion talks to start? And once they did, how long until everything was finalized?

Do you regret losing Bucket and Robin? That lineup appeared to have a lot of fire and potential to push you to new levels.

If DJ hadn't quit, were you really going to go with three guitar players?

Do you feel like you've let your fans down by only releasing one album of original material in the last 25 years? Any chance you can rectify that over the next year by cleaning out the vault? Why not release CD2, CD3 and fhe remix album this year. Then a brand new GnR album and ACDC album in 2017. 

How often do you personally check out the GnR forums? And if you do, do you ever post (under a fake name, of course)?

Now that it's far in the past and you've matured and relaxed, do you look back at the Illusions tour and have regrets for your actions - starting shows 2-3 hours late, alienating yourself from the other guys with the theme parties, not playing a killer show after Hetfield burned his arm, and the general behavior that made people start referring to you as a diva?

What are your thoughts on how critics, your fans and rock and roll fans received Chinese Democracy? 

How do you respond to your diehard loyal fans who say they loved the CD leaks - which were raw and full of energy - but were dissapointed with how the songs were finalized for the album. Tinkered with to death, too many layers, too much cut and paste. A lot of fans think CD would have been way better if you hadn't over processed it to death.

Do band members have a form of a gag order? There has always been rumors of them, but some so-called insiders always say there isn't....but Pittman mouths off and immediately gets fired!

How did you feel about Erin auctioning off those personal items?

Do you still believe that you and Stephanie lived in past lives together? 

Do you - or did you - really have a notebook where you kept detailed records of when people talked badly about you?

What did Tom Petty say to you backstage after you blew him offstage while performing Free Falling?

Why didn't you show up and fight Vince?

How much credit (or not) do you give the singer of Shark Island for helping you "develop" your stage moves?

Hairmetalmusic.com named Chinese Democracy as the most underrated rock album of all time and Civil War as fhe second most underrated rock song of all time. How high do those honors rank on your all time achievement scale? 

And finally, can you take one picture without the hat, glasses, and layers of clothes on so she ladies of the forum can have something to drool over for the rest of the year?

That would about cover my list of questions. 

He said he wants to keep going with this lineup for a long time. Said he wants to release more music with Guns. Said he showed Slash and Duff some of his material and they liked it.

Just now, ChineseIRS said:

He said he wants to keep going with this lineup for a long time. Said he wants to release more music with Guns. Said he showed Slash and Duff some of his material and they liked it.

Awesome. 

I am just listening to it now. 

The tenderness questions at the beginning was pretty stupid. Hopefully it gets better. 

• Like 1

Axl will hockey stop his BYD outside the venue and get arrested for Tsingdao related violations. 

Nice to see CD promo never stops. 

I'm talkin' bout a yankee rose!

Edited by wasted
Bright lights
  • Like 1

Lots of info here, the clearer voice on CD was interesting...glad to hear him bring that up and be in acknowledgment that it didn't go over well. 

Axl said near the end that on his bucket list is to release much more music rather that be soundtrack based or what he hopes will be with Guns N Roses, but he isn't sure if it will be with Slash yet. He said its up to Slash if they hear something they like and develop it or Slash works on material already there then that's great. 

Also on new music i think I heard him say "like I once said soon is the word" 

He kinda acknowledged the Izzy thing, by saying he loved the prior lineup of Guns N Roses a lot and when Slash and Duff came in they worked with Frank a lot on developing the rhythm section. 

He feels protected by Angus and is afraid Of letting him down, says it unlike any relationship he's ever had before and he can't explain much better

says him and Angus have talked about doing something with music, he'll say things to Angus about how he likes that chord he played and how they should turn it into something. 

Axl did say he'd rather be working on movie soundtracks than be in Guns N Roses...but he sounded a bit cheekish in that statement. 

And CD was developed on movie soundtrack technique with big orchestras and modern music mixed in he had a couple guys come in and work on the material....I always thought many songs on CD could be in movie soundtracks 

• Like 1

Oh and the most damning thing in this whole interview is Axl saying, the reunion didn't happen by chance, it was something I'd been working towards for a while it was just timing didn't feel right sometimes...it was always possible....WTF!!! 

This makes me believe that the mid 2000 reunion rumors were true, Slash not being happy with VR, Axl losing bucket head, it seems like the reunion is something that could have spawned from Robin leaving after CD released or pretty much at any time! 

I just don't see why he created this hatred towards Slash in a way that made us believe he could kill Slash if he saw him or break down in tears....this was all a petty argument over some made up stories in Slash's book....Goddamnit! 

33 minutes ago, ChineseIRS said:

That's awesome. Phew I'm not completely crazy. 

Edited by wasted
Not

Really awesome interview. No joke the first 5 minutes were Axl talking about how great cats are. Axl said his bucket list item would be releasing more music with Guns N Roses. And he would like to write stuff with Slash, or have him add things to existing material. 

If he could go back in time and change something he'd form his own record label so he'd have more creative freedom. Thought that was interesting  

Axl also came across as really down to earth. The interviewer suggested that Axl leave before the crowd so he wouldn't be bombarded by the audience and he said he'd stay and sign things for as long as he could. 

Edited by KiernanProud
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Oh and the most damning thing in this whole interview is Axl saying, the reunion didn't happen by chance, it was something I'd been working towards for a while it was just timing didn't feel right sometimes...it was always possible....WTF!!! 

This makes me believe that the mid 2000 reunion rumors were true, Slash not being happy with VR, Axl losing bucket head, it seems like the reunion is something that could have spawned from Robin leaving after CD released or pretty much at any time! 

I just don't see why he created this hatred towards Slash in a way that made us believe he could kill Slash if he saw him or break down in tears....this was all a petty argument over some made up stories in Slash's book....Goddamnit! 

Agreed -- some weird revelations in this interview. I don't understand wtf he was waiting for if the reunion was looked at as a possibility years ago. 

4 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

good morning everybody.

can someone please summarize  what axl said, please?

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Reveal hidden contents

Axl has always been keen to work on a film soundtrack and may do so in the future, saying ‘I was more interested in that than staying in Guns N’ Roses’.

Axl does regular vocal exercises and has resumed work with a vocal coach he had stopped working with 20 years prior, since the Back In Black material is particularly demanding.

Axl has a varied music taste and particularly enjoys Frank Sinatra, but doesn’t see too much branching into genres such as jazz.

Axl apparently made a concious effort to make his voice ‘clearer’ for the Chinese Democracy album which he feels people did not respond to.

Axl is working on new music which has been received positively by Duff McKagan and Slash.

There no plans for a solo album.

Axl may release his own book.

Axl believes that Slash fabricated some details in his book and told him so over the phone when they patched things up in 2015.

Axl feels that he and Angus Young have good chemistry and is open to working on new music with him.

Slash’s new work ethic impressed Axl, as he and Duff learned the Chinese Democracy material without being prompted.

There are definite plans for a Guns N’ Roses tour in the UK

The current Guns N’ Roses arrangement is one that Axl hopes to keep ‘going for quite a while’

In retrospect, Axl believes he should have self-released more music rather than use a large record label.

Sir David Tang is a douchebag

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rock4eva said:

It's not your fault but I'm bloody pissed off it wasn't video just because they don't like the interviewer???? That's how I read it anyway. Others had such great videos up & I was so looking forward to it. :angry:  :anger:

This was just the audio recording from someone in the room, don't worry the official video will probably be uploaded next week ;)

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 1

I guess because he had been working on CD for years. I think the window would be open but then they go out on tour and you aren't going to kill what you have for a fictional reunion. 

Also Slash had to agree to join nu Guns in a way. He might have wanted to do what he was doing with Myles too. It probably was true Axl wanted Slash on CD. But if Slash said no, then Axl might say something. 

also there was a point where Slash stopped his feud. When he went up to Axl's compound. But Axl had been working on CD for years. Seems he really wanted to complete operation: Chinese Democracy. 

At least Slash and Duff like what Axl has so far, so there's a possiblity of a collaboration for the next record. 

• Like 1