Alan Niven: I'm really disappointed to see Axl playing in AC/DC

2 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

He made a pretty good deal if you ask me...

If you can choose that being a true Christian and slowly becoming a washed up Mickey Mouse or choose Satan and got your talent back, there isn't really a choiche, imho

The biggest irony in this is that Ronnie James Dio invented the devil horns as a cultural symbolum, yet his name means "God" in italian

He was 10 times a true Christian soul than Niven would ever be

That particular hand gesture has been around in Europe and the Middle East since the middle ages, both to ward off bad luck and as an insult...he might have been the first to use it in metal but it was around way before he was. :) ETA: just read that Dio got it from his Italian grandmother...

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Damn, Niven's gone bat-shit crazy.

He's always been crazy. It's just before his anti Axl stance was co-opted by pro reunion fans. Now there is a reunion...his anti Axl obsession is just that. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I actually agree with Alan on this. I don't care so much about the devil-worship crap, but AC/DC are a naff band and way beneath Axl Rose.

Go back and listen to Art Of Anarchy

Edited by Silent Jay

47 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I actually agree with Alan on this. I don't care so much about the devil-worship crap, but AC/DC are a naff band and way beneath Axl Rose.

AC/DC have never moved on musically. It's the same thing for 40 years, but Axl is a fan and is doing it as a fan. I thought he did great, but I'd love him back with GNR and doing great stuff with Slash and Duff.

some people are genuinely freaked out by all of that stuff and take it very seriously. Niven is obviously uncomfortable about using the devil or his symbols in any context and there are some pretty odd stories out there about how that shit got real for some folks...like the set of the Exorcist. http://www.blumhouse.com/2015/12/02/is-the-exorcist-movie-cursed/

Lots of people in the industry were rumored to be fucking around that area and getting the shit scared out of themselves: http://www.daimonologia.org/2016/01/david-bowies-encounter-with-devil.html

But, for fuck's sake, Angus is a pensioner running around in velure shorts,...its always been a Spinal tap version of "satanism" its obviously a fucking joke.

Niven comes across as a jackass here. But he may have been through something that scared him..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Ugh. They are so not beneath him! Axl Rose is honored to play with them and he was influenced by them. It's a reallly good band and the Bon era delivered some really awesome music. Well to be fair Back in Black was a very influential album as well. They also showed other bands how to put on an really great show for the fans, Angus! They still fill up stadiums for a reason. One of the few bands who actually can. Did you listen to all their music or just a greatest hits? Just curious. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, MB. said:

Ugh. They are so not beneath him! Axl Rose is honored to play with them and he was influenced by them. It's a reallly good band and the Bon era delivered some really awesome music. Well to be fair Back in Black was a very influential album as well. They also showed other bands how to put on an really great show for the fans, Angus! They still fill up stadiums for a reason. One of the few bands who actually can. 

^^^

This.

I remember reading this interview with Eddie Van Halen once, about how at some festival in the late 70's, Van Halen were playing with AC/DC and some other bands for the first time. While AccaDacca's classic lineup were thundering through their set, the Van Halen guys were standing on the side of the stage, watching awestruck at how ferocious they sounded live. Eddie Van Halen recalled that he didn't think that they would be able to match up and said to the rest of the band, "We have to follow THESE Motherfuckers?"

• Like 3

This just proves everything is going well with AC/DC. Niven must be bitter as fuck. Izzy is not in Guns while Axl is getting paid to play with AC/DC looking and sounding great.  :headbang: If this is not good enough for Alan, nothing will.

Niven is a fun character. He only adds to the Guns N' Roses experience. This interview is different though. Now it's just seems like a joke, but he was still important to Guns.

Perhaps just as crazy as Axl. The thing he said about champions of individuality was pretty accurate but everything else is biased and crazy. Also: "Someone like" Angus? what the fuck? motherfucker, he's a living legend. It doesn't get much better than that when it comes to hard rock guitar players (and bands). I guess it's the devil horns Angus does with his 2 index fingers and he's 61 years old that Alan just can't handle. Too horny. My soul is in danger.

Edited by Rovim

5 hours ago, andyshores said:

Someone needs to tell Alan that these fictitious characters aren't real:  The Devil, God, Santa, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy.  He'll be devastated, but he's old enough now that he should know.

57400615.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Listen, you may not like AC/DC but you can't deny that they are an objectively great band. You don't do sold out stadium tours without deserving it.

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Listen, you may not like AC/DC but you can't deny that they are an objectively great band. You don't do sold out stadium tours without deserving it.

Yes, you do. Musical talent is not a necessity to achieve financial success in the music industry. AC/DC is one of the greatest hard rock bands ever. Niven just doesn't want to burn in hell which is perfectly understandable. I think that he actually loves AC/DC but can't admit it cause it's a sin.

Edited by Rovim