Wouldn't now be a great time to drop a single?

Slash and Duff had no problem learning and playing cd songs for this tour. 

Ideally Axl would have given them the general, atlas shrugged, Soulmonster and checkmate back when he started the ACDC tour. 

Slash and duff and the band would have been rehearsing them for the last month. 

Gnr tour restarts and there you go. Four new songs to rotate through the setlist. Whatever one gets the best crowd response gets released as a single. 

This is really simple stuff. It's rock music. It's not a new band where precautions need to be taken. Anything they put out will sell. 

Give the fans a treat. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Agreed. It actually can be improved quite a bit...

On a side note, I think a single would be great. But as axl revealed at the Chinese Exchange, it's probably not too likely. What was it "soon is the word" I mean they've talked about it, slash and duff have heard some stuff and thought about recording parts on the Chinese leftovers... Idk it doesn't sound promising.

Sorry I didn't follow the chinese exchange, what was he asked and what exactly did he say regarding releasing new stuff?

30 minutes ago, moreblack said:

It's not time for a new single. It's not even time to write or work on new stuff until the tour is over.

In other related news, Clayton Kershaw shouldn't pitch anymore, Tom Brady should sit out the year and all of us should not eat any food for the next month. 

Can't wait to see Axl and Slash play It's So Easy for the 395th time when they come through my city next month. That will be way more exciting than hearing them play a brand new song. 

I remember a LOT of pissed off fans when GnR was touring before Illusions were released. When the band broke out unreleased songs like November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Estranged and Don't Cry half the arena went on piss breaks and the their half booed and yelled for Mama Kin, Think Anout You and Out Ta Get Me.  

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DocArunas said:

Sorry I didn't follow the chinese exchange, what was he asked and what exactly did he say regarding releasing new stuff?

Basically that he's open to recording new material with slash and duff, angus young too, and that slash and duff have heard the unreleased Chinese leftover material and they could be open to recording parts on those songs. It didn't sound promising for anything coming out in the near future..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I remember a LOT of pissed off fans when GnR was touring before Illusions were released. When the band broke out unreleased songs like November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Estranged and Don't Cry half the arena went on piss breaks and the their half booed and yelled for Mama Kin, Think Anout You and Out Ta Get Me.  

that's sacrilege!

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

It's not time for a new single. It's not even time to write or work on new stuff until the tour is over.

I used to be pretty confident that new stuff would come out this year, but I doubt that's happening. What I got from Axl's interview is that they're still figuring that out, and the focus is on the tour.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rickjkd1977 said:

I think it would be a great idea for them to put out a  2 disc greatest hits package with two new songs. 

Why would you want a greatest hits album? Don't you already own all their old songs? 

44 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that's sacrilege!

No kidding. 

I'm amazed at this group of people who say that fans (people willing to pay hundreds of dollars) would be angry if their favorite band played a new song at a concert. It's s mindboggling concept. But one that some people really believe. 

As long as they play SCOM, jungle, PC, rocket, Nightrain, Nov Rain, YCBM, LALD.....and a combination of brownstone, patience, don't cry, civil war, estranged, heavens door, it's so easy.....then NO FAN is going home pissed off if they mix in two or three brand new songs. 

31 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Why would you want a greatest hits album? Don't you already own all their old songs? 

Do I want a greatest hits album? No.  Do I think they should do one? Probably . Put something out their that will gain the interest of casual fans. I'd love a new album of all new material but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now. 

20 hours ago, Gackt said:

GnR could revive a track like Ain't Going Down, re-record it as a single and it'd likely top the rock charts

It's that easy

Ain't Going Down is one of the worst GNR songs ever recorded. I really don't think releasing it as a comeback single would be a good idea. :vomit:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babooshka said:

I used to be pretty confident that new stuff would come out this year, but I doubt that's happening. What I got from Axl's interview is that they're still figuring that out, and the focus is on the tour.

that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think being around each other they will start bouncing ideas around and new songs will be forthcoming. Axl works at his own pace...

You'd think so, but its Axl we're talking about here. Why capitalize on one of the biggest reunions in the last 15-20 years by having a new song ready to go in time for the tour?  Not enough 3 hour meetings from TB I suppose...

Edited by ChineseIRS
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

The promotion on this tour is obviously different than previous ones and management/AEG is way more capable, let me just say that. I don't know how well the shows are selling thus far for the NITL tour, but the buzz of the GnR reunion has definitely died down considerably since April. Most of the excitement was stifled by Axl's injury, and then the long break with Axl killing it in ACDC.

They can easily nullify that by releasing a single. Any new material to show fans that this is not a cash grab. Show the world you're ready to continue this brand with progression. I know it's nearly impossible for Slash & Duff to have recorded anything yet. Even if it's Bucket-era material, just release something to get people talking. How excited would you guys be with the exact same set from Vegas/Coachella except w/ Nice Boys, Madagascar, etc added in? 

I'm not trying to be a hater by the way, I paid ridiculous amount of money to fly to Vegas and see both nights. It's just hard to drum up enthusiasm if it's gonna be the exact same thing we saw in April. Look how fresh Axl singing 25 new (ACDC) songs was. Imagine just one new GnR song played live, it would surely excite the lot of us. What do you guys think?

Firstly... just because you saw the first 2 concerts live doesnt mean everyone else has.

If they actually tour out of the US with this line up.. the excitement levels wherever they head will still be huge.. just because your excitement level dropped doesnt mean thats indicative of whats going on with everyone else.

Dropping a new single now would speak for itself..all GNR funs would lose their shit. No doubt about that.

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

In other related news, Clayton Kershaw shouldn't pitch anymore, Tom Brady should sit out the year and all of us should not eat any food for the next month. 

Can't wait to see Axl and Slash play It's So Easy for the 395th time when they come through my city next month. That will be way more exciting than hearing them play a brand new song. 

Hmmm, didn't hear any booing at Indy and we were the second and third shows on the Illusions tour.

48 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Hmmm, didn't hear any booing at Indy and we were the second and third shows on the Illusions tour.

:facepalm:

I was being sarcastic. Poking fun at the people who keep saying that the casual GnR fans just want to hear the hits and would use new songs as bathroom breaks. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2016 at 10:52 PM, Top-Hatted One said:

Slash's work has been far from generic. From Snakepit to VR to Slash to SMKC. He is one of the few keeping rock alive and reaching the masses

Slash reaching the masses?

seriously, slash solo career has minimum impact on the masses

the masses dont know his songs

slash is not on the radio, not on the TV, he is not anywhere

he plays for 5000-10000 crowds on his solo tour and you can bet at lest half of the people are there to listen to GNR stuff

there are even people on this forum that dont know his songs

It's true if you play stuff before it's out people are like wtf is this? This is shit because we can't get into it, people need time to get into songs like Estranged or Madagascar for example. A rocker works better and with Slash and Duff gets excitement, but also a lot to live up to. Like when Metalicker played Cyanide, it was 50/50, I loved it others were meh. But then that just sits there and festers. 

Like was Oh my god a mistake? Basically fans and industry judged the album on that. It lasted me a few years but for others it was fuel for negativity in various ways. 

I really think everything has to happen all at once. They have to be on tour and put a single and album and video at the same time.  Then as you continue to tour you need 3-4 more videos. 

"Here's our new single, it's out tomorrow with the album and video" 

then after a few weeks another and then another with videos as they tour. 

The problem is this twilight zone we are in where it's CD era but with Slash maybe playing. It could work with Slash and Duff bringing the peg to hang the album on. 5-6 songs with old Guns excitement to come out the gate. But then Axl to really have that platform for his more expansive material. I just imagine having Slither as a lead off single and a cross between Fall to Pieces and Sorry as a ballad then a more rocked out TWAT to go big on a video. 

• Like 1

They aren't going to do much from scratch either anytime soon.

Axl takes years it seems. The best they could do is help Axl with the second half of Chinese. 

In light of Axl's comments about lyrics and melody first, that kind of rules out Slash from the writing?

This is why a Lies 2 type cd seems more possible. 

4 Live tracks from the early reunion shows 

Better

The Seeker

This I Love

Coma

then 4 remixes

Shackler's Remix

Better Gone

Silkworms (studio version)

Atlas Shrugged Ft. Slash