Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

I like that Northern Lights one. Hell, I can count on one hand the sum total of the ones I haven't liked. 

How can the band even turn a profit on these in such small numbers? If there's 200 x $50 each, that's only 10G. You gotta pay the artist n print em. How the fuck? Unless the artist is doing it for next to nothing, which must be the case.

10 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I like that Northern Lights one. Hell, I can count on one hand the sum total of the ones I haven't liked. 

How can the band even turn a profit on these in such small numbers? If there's 200 x $50 each, that's only 10G. You gotta pay the artist n print em. How the fuck? Unless the artist is doing it for next to nothing, which must be the case.

Only thing I can come up with is that the litho design always has a shirt too, and I'm sure they sell a lot of shirts, so I doubt the artist's fee has much to do with the litho numbers printed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

The designs are also used for the shirts, but what gets me is that a previous poster-in-the-know said the band/entourage takes a number off the top (usually the lower numbers)  and that is why you don't really see them popping up on eBay. How many are actually sold to the public when you have a print run as small as 80-100 after the band/venue/organizers take what they want?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dacatzass said:

The designs are also used for the shirts, but what gets me is that a previous poster-in-the-know said the band/entourage takes a number off the top (usually the lower numbers)  and that is why you don't really see them popping up on eBay. How many are actually sold to the public when you have a print run as small as 80-100 after the band/venue/organizers take what they want?

Yeah, the money must be in the shirts.

I'm on record here saying fuck everybody in the aftermarket making money off these, but the economics for the making of them to begin with seem like a no win. 

Everyone needs to hit GNR's twitter and facebook pages about how they should print more lithographs.  The low runs for the last 10 shows have been ridiculous, 150 down to 80?  Come on.  Personally I'd love if every show was 1,000 or whatever just so they'd be easier to get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, liqddynamite said:

Everyone needs to hit GNR's twitter and facebook pages about how they should print more lithographs.  The low runs for the last 10 shows have been ridiculous, 150 down to 80?  Come on.  Personally I'd love if every show was 1,000 or whatever just so they'd be easier to get.

I second this motion.

#printmorelithos

55 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

you didn't like the northern lights one? that thing is pure bliss. thats the best death eater poster ever!

I like the idea but I find the execution pretty cheap. The frame, the font, the integration of the logo, all look really crude to me. Buhler usually tends to put way more effort in the details.

59 minutes ago, Nalbi said:

I like the idea but I find the execution pretty cheap. The frame, the font, the integration of the logo, all look really crude to me. Buhler usually tends to put way more effort in the details.

He usually claims the designs on his IG and he hasn't posted them, so I'm guessing Stockholm and Hameenlinna weren't his.

That said I generally agree with Nalbi but probably am not so harsh. I like the concept and most of the execution. I think the "G N R" written in the sky leaves a little to be desired but everything else is fine.

And as much as I like Arian Buhler, they're not all masterpieces and some of his works are completely devoid of detail. Just look at Detroit and Auckland.

1 hour ago, amaninjapan said:

He usually claims the designs on his IG and he hasn't posted them, so I'm guessing Stockholm and Hameenlinna weren't his.

That said I generally agree with Nalbi but probably am not so harsh. I like the concept and most of the execution. I think the "G N R" written in the sky leaves a little to be desired but everything else is fine.

And as much as I like Arian Buhler, they're not all masterpieces and some of his works are completely devoid of detail. Just look at Detroit and Auckland.

Hey, Detroit is one of my favorites! lol

Yeah, Detroit is in my top ten for sure!

And no, I get the feeling Arian didn't do these.  They're not on his IG and the Stockholm one for sure isn't his style.  That one is insultingly simplistic, at least to me.

But I also agree not everything Buhler does is gold.  I didn't care for Copenhagen or Gdansk, even thought that one seems to be popular with you guys.

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

Yeah, Detroit is in my top ten for sure!

And no, I get the feeling Arian didn't do these.  They're not on his IG and the Stockholm one for sure isn't his style.  That one is insultingly simplistic, at least to me.

But I also agree not everything Buhler does is gold.  I didn't care for Copenhagen or Gdansk, even thought that one seems to be popular with you guys.

I love Copenhagen and especially Gdansk. Copenhagen would be just as good as Gdansk but the little mermaid is just too cliche. All the dark Euro lithos with minimal color accents would look great as a set.

48 minutes ago, Nalbi said:

c9hGLZD.jpg

TEUxiwS.jpg

I miss Arian...

Completely disagree.

First design is classic 60s and 70s Soviet era Prague imagery. This was something I was hoping for the entire Euro leg.

The second is a reference to Sedlec Ossuary - the bone church in Kutna Hora. It's fucking magnificent.

1330160043_a3eb2ca636_o.jpg

• Like 4

Fair enough, didn't know the reference for the second one, makes it instantly way cooler, definitely something Buhler could have made.

Still not a fan of the other one, but maybe just because it reminds me too much of the CD era.