Frank Ferrer is not a bad musician, the problem is his drum kit tone

He's a thumper not a swinger.  Which isn't a bad thing, some music needs thumpers...and some music needs swingers.  And some bands, like GnR, need a thumper who can swing.  Which is why Matty ain't the best for GnR, Frank ain't the best for GnR, Brain is good for GnR and Stevie is PERFECT for GnR.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Swingers n' thumpers. What are your feelings about synthmasters? Pitman or Mellisa?

Take them out back and shoot them in the back of the head.  I'm all for synth, don't get me wrong.  In the bands that are good for em I'm all for em.  But Guns ain't got no mileage outside of a somewhat purist rock n roll...and that shit don't work over there.  Which i know to some is all the more reason to stick em in but it is what it is.  There's too much thats good already going on in Guns to add synth, it's like adding a dollop of mayo into the greatest soup recipe ever.  Mayo is wonderful but you don't need it in your soup.

• Like 1

The only opinion on Frank's sound that matters is Duff, Slash, and Axl. Everybody here who has an issue with his sound or tempo are just bitching about non issues. If the band -composed of old class musicians- thinks Franks playing is suitable for GNR then so should you. And, if you dont then you can continue to bitch at the expense of your time and energy.

Edited by The Holographic Universe

Didn't he just recently switch to DW? I'm pretty sure he was using Pork Pie before (with GNR).

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with his set-up. The video in the first post isn't representative at all, as it's a completely different kit (in sizes and obviously tuning). Ferrers' current kit is ideal for the music they play.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of his Sabian cymbals - especially the hi-hat sounds too "wet" and splashy. I prefer a more crisp sound.

Edited by Jeez

27 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

The only opinion on Frank's sound that matters is Duff, Slash, and Axl. Everybody here who has an issue with his sound or tempo are just bitching about non issues. If the band -composed of old class musicians- thinks Franks playing is suitable for GNR then so should you. And, if you dont then you can continue to bitch at the expense of your time and energy.

What a strange post. The fans of their music shouldn't have opinions about their sound? Of course we should. I don't see how Axls', Slashs', or Duffs' opinion should change ours. Tell me, did you like Ashba because Axl must have found his sound suitable for GN'R?

And for the record, opinions do matter. GN'R wouldn't be anywhere if we - the fans - didn't like what we heard.

Edited by Jeez
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeez said:

What a strange post. The fans of their music shouldn't have opinions about their sound? Of course we should. I don't see how Axls', Slashs', or Duffs' opinion should change ours. Tell me, did you like Ashba because Axl must have found his sound suitable for GN'R?

And for the record, opinions do matter. GN'R wouldn't be anywhere if we - the fans - didn't like what we heard.

The constant expression of this particular opinion is pointless and well past its expiration date. Ashba kept that band touring at the point in the band's history and since he was only playing other guitarists parts I was content with his inclusion in the band. And, the band would be fine if every member on this forum died tomorrow, so your opinion has no impact on this band at all.

jeez.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by The Holographic Universe

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

The constant expression of this particular opinion is pointless and well past its expiration date. Ashba kept that band touring at the point in the band's history and since he was only playing other guitarists parts I was content with his inclusion in the band. And, the band would be fine if every member on this forum died tomorrow, so your opinion has no impact on this band at all.

jeez.jpg

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

By your logic there's no need for a fan forum. 

jeez.jpg

Oh, I see why you're confused. You actually think these opinions are exclusive to this forum. And if you don't think such opinions matter you should read up on how this tour is doing compared to the previous ones (in terms of income, attendence etc.).

Most of the content on this forum, or any fan forum for that matter, is pointless. Lastly, I don't see how my opinion must have an impact on the band for it to be valid.

Edited by Jeez

1 hour ago, Jeez said:

Oh, I see why you're confused. You actually think these opinions are exclusive to this forum. And if you don't think such opinions matter you should read up on how this tour is doing compared to the previous ones (in terms of income, attendence etc.).

Most of the content on this forum, or any fan forum for that matter, is pointless. Lastly, I don't see how my opinion must have an impact on the band for it to be valid.

Franks drumming and any opinions do not affect attendance at the concerts. Are you making correlations between the ticket sales and the consensus opinion of fans? Yeah, I'm confused.

Franks drumming and any opinions do not affect attendance at the concerts. Are you making correlations between the ticket sales and the consensus opinion of fans? Yeah, I'm confused.

"If the band -composed of old class musicians- thinks Franks playing is suitable for GNR then so should you"

If you still don't see how bizarre your logic is, I can't help you. If the Stones swapped Charlie Watts with Lars Urlich, would you expect their fans to applaud their decision because "old class musicians" approved him? :facepalm:

Edited by Jeez

4 hours ago, Jeez said:

"If the band -composed of old class musicians- thinks Franks playing is suitable for GNR then so should you"

If you still don't see how bizarre your logic is, I can't help you. If the Stones swapped Charlie Watts with Lars Urlich, would you expect their fans to applaud their decision because "old class musicians" approved him? :facepalm:

Auto correct fucked with my words. I intended to write "world class musicians". I don't even know what old class would mean. My point is that if musicians of their caliber and considerable talent approve of him them just accept it. The band was fine without Steven and is now fine without Matt. They are both replaceable. Bitching about the drummer is pointless. 

Frank recently interviewed by Modern Drummer magz, he said that when Steven comes, they takes extended break to set up his drums before Steven slid in. He also said Slash and Duff like to hear a lot of hi-hat, quarters, and 8ths. He's hope if Guns continues in whatever form, he'll be part of of the recording process. And he's actually battling arthritic stuff on his left wrist and ankle.

It's actually long ass interview you can find posted on other forum, i can't paste it here because the pic has watermark all over it.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

And nobody even noticed:D

Obviously someone did....

:) 

10 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Your opinion probably doesn't....but Frank's drumming actually may affect attendance, you don't know that....neither do I.

2 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Frank recently interviewed by Modern Drummer magz, he said that when Steven comes, they takes extended break to set up his drums before Steven slid in. He also said Slash and Duff like to hear a lot of hi-hat, quarters, and 8ths. He's hope if Guns continues in whatever form, he'll be part of of the recording process. And he's actually battling arthritic stuff on his left wrist and ankle.

It's actually long ass interview you can find posted on other forum, i can't paste it here because the pic has watermark all over it.

What "Extended breaks"?

i was at the Cincinnat show (you know the first time Adler returned) and it was a typical break between songs, there was no delay....at all.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

jeez.jpg

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Lucky for us your opinion doesn't have any impact on the band either. And Ashba decided to leave :headbang:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

What "Extended breaks"?

i was at the Cincinnat show (you know the first time Adler returned) and it was a typical break between songs, there was no delay....at all.

I don't know man, he didn't explain anything further, maybe it's just mere ten second longer than usual, with today technology changing some setup probably blazingly fast. What clearly stated it's something has changed to match Steven preferences.

2 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

I don't know man, he didn't explain anything further, maybe it's just mere ten second longer than usual, with today technology changing some setup probably blazingly fast. What clearly stated it's something has changed to match Steven preferences.

Yeah, it could have been something as simple as adjusting the height of his seat and shit

On Monday, July 04, 2016 at 4:58 PM, comboguns said:

I think Frank decision's to use a jazz drum kit is a bad choice, it dont fit with the guns n roses sound.

Frank is a good drummer, but he is playing with a jazz drum kit, this is like slash playing with a stratocaster, it will not fit with the gnr sound.

Then how did Steven manage to make Frank's kit sound so much better?