Frank Ferrer is not a bad musician, the problem is his drum kit tone

On 9.7.2016 at 11:05 PM, action said:

all of this sounds like a bad football team blaming their humiliating loss on the state of the field (which is of equal stupidity, since the opposing team plays on the same field)

It's completely OT, but I have to say something to this. If one team is used to that, the other team not, it's not completely stupid. There were some soccer teams in the past which were famous (or maybe infamous) for the bad state of their lawn, it was a clear advantage when those teams played at home since their opponents weren't used to those conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zurimor said:

It's completely OT, but I have to say something to this. If one team is used to that, the other team not, it's not completely stupid. There were some soccer teams in the past which were famous (or maybe infamous) for the bad state of their lawn, it was a clear advantage when those teams played at home since their opponents weren't used to those conditions.

exactly!

4 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Why did you Revive this thread and this lame ass theory?  It isn't the kit dude.

Excuse me, I'm not reliving an thread from five years ago, it's a few month ago. 
And I'm not doing offtopic. Ferrer use an drum that not sound like an band of Rock and Roll, it's reality.

48 minutes ago, lucasnesposito said:

Excuse me, I'm not reliving an thread from five years ago, it's a few month ago. 
And I'm not doing offtopic. Ferrer use an drum that not sound like an band of Rock and Roll, it's reality.

Ugh....read the thread dude, it's not the kit.  I never said you were off topic.  I said it's not the kit, which if you read the thread you'll understand why.   

Edited by tsinindy

56 minutes ago, rendestroi95 said:

it is the kit, but he's also not the fit for GNR. When they put Adler there, it only improves the drumming, the sound stills terrible

Disagree (on the sound being terrible when Adler plays the same kit), but OK

I like the guy but hes definitely the weak point in the band. On my youtube channel and facebook groups I run hes the one everyone complains about and most are just casual fans.

But he has got alot better from them Vegas shows ill give him that

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

I like the guy but hes definitely the weak point in the band. On my youtube channel and facebook groups I run hes the one everyone complains about and most are just casual fans.

But he has got alot better from them Vegas shows ill give him that

Agree with all of this... Out of the 3 replacements I would pick Fruity Pebbles and Fortus to go before him. I would have never thought that in a million years after the Vegas shows.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zurimor said:

Not only that, but poor conditions can level what might have been a drastic talent disparity otherwise.

Imagine playing the same 6-string guitar as SLASH. Then imagine playing the exact same guitar but that only has one string. SLASH will probably still play it better, but the degree to which he does would be drastically decreased thus making any competition that much closer than it should have been.

People that use the "same conditions" argument just aren't seeing the entire picture.

Edited by thunderram

I preferred Frank on the previous tours when he was free to do his own thing. Same with Brain. It's nice to get new interpretations of overfamiliar songs.

This is one of the few fan bases that wants to hear the songs played exactly as they were on record 30 years ago (but also complains about the setlists always being the same). Frank has had to compromise his style for this tour and it's shown.

• Like 1

Sorum/Adler is always going to sound better with Slash and Duff. Its got nothing to do with Franks tone he just cant cover the old stuff the same. I don't have a problem with the CD songs, I said to Sorum how on the UYI tour how his drums sounded flat on the recordings and he totally agreed whether it sounded like that at the show I don't know I never went :(

Edited by Gibbo

This is my first post but I can shed some light on this subject. I've been playing drums for 25yrs and have studied various styles. I actually met Frank back in 2011 and we talked drums a bit. He stated that he has a New York style of playing and is bringing that type of feel to GNR. The NYC style is more of a backbeat fusion funk type feel being more in the groove. To me you cant have that NYC style with GNR you have to be out front solid and Rockin like Adler has. It's not that Franks a bad drummer it's that he doesn't play with the right feel for GNR. It's kinda like having Neil Peart drum for GNR he is the best drummer in the world but his feel and style of playing wouldn't be right. Frank was a pretty cool dude and I honestly wanted to tell him to find a fusion band where he could shine because to me you can't play a groove with GNR you have to play with emotion and a rock feel poor Frank just doesn't have that fell. And Axl if your reading this give me a shout I'll show em how its done ;)

Edited by sabian11
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, sabian11 said:

This is my first post but I can shed some light on this subject. I've been playing drums for 25yrs and have studied various styles. I actually met Frank back in 2011 and we talked drums a bit. He stated that he has a New York style of playing and is bringing that type of feel to GNR. The NYC style is more of a backbeat fusion funk type feel being more in the groove. To me you cant have that NYC style with GNR you have to be out front solid and Rockin like Adler has. It's not that Franks a bad drummer it's that he doesn't play with the right feel for GNR. It's kinda like having Neil Peart drum for GNR he is the best drummer in the world but his feel and style of playing wouldn't be right. Frank was a pretty cool dude and I honestly wanted to tell him to find a fusion band where he could shine because to me you can't play a groove with GNR you have to play with emotion and a rock feel poor Frank just doesn't have that fell. And Axl if your reading this give me a shout I'll show em how its done ;)

And, you know, there's that whole not-keeping-a-consistent-tempo-when-doing-a-fill thing.

Or that time at Coachella where he messed up the rest of the band during the breakdown of WTTJ by going back into the chorus with a 6 count instead of a 4

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 7:40 AM, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Brain is the best drummer GNR ever had.

Brent Fitz is ok.

Frank is doing alright, but I'd have liked to have seen Matt get the job.

Something tells me that Matt would've made an issue out of playing the two or three CD songs in the set. But I see your point, it would've been cool to see him behind the kit

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1