DUFF (The King of Beers) McKAGAN -- Underrated Bassist?

1 hour ago, Mandy123 said:

I'm the (self proclaimed) biggest Duff fan ever, so yeah it gets a little frustrating sometimes. People will have awesomely detailed reviews over the show they've seen about axl and slash and then Duff will get a "and Duff was Duff" or "Duff was on point as usual" as that's it. I mean, I guess it's great he's just going out there and killing it every night and there's really nothing else to discuss, but damn, I'd like to hear some stories of something he did that was cool or a moment where he really shined. 

I also get confused when people say he's not a great bass player. How?? I always think of that video of him saying that Slash actually made him a better bass player because in a lot of songs he plays the exact same thing as Slash before veering off into his own bass lines. He's not just a great bass player, but an overall awesome musician who can play basically everything. He's also left handed and taught himself to play with his right - not that that means anything or super rare, I just think it's sort of cool.

I've also noticed he's playing a few songs without a pick too. I love the sound he makes with the pick but I know that's something people have "used against him" before. I know he's not been using one during Don't Cry. Any other's people have noticed? 

But you also have to be realistic... he's the bassplayer. In rock that's not exactly the most popular instrument or the member that stands most in the spotlight. I'm not saying the bass isn't important, but the rock genre is mainly driven by guitars and drums. And on top of that, he wasn't the most important key member in the songwriting process either, so it's understandable that for a lot of people it's all about Slash and Axl because of the role they play in the band. Personally Duff was always my favourite, but I understand why the bassplayer in most rockbands are overlooked. 

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

But you also have to be realistic... he's the bassplayer. In rock that's not exactly the most popular instrument or the member that stands most in the spotlight. I'm not saying the bass isn't important, but the rock genre is mainly driven by guitars and drums. And on top of that, he wasn't the most important key member in the songwriting process either, so it's understandable that for a lot of people it's all about Slash and Axl because of the role they play in the band. Personally Duff was always my favourite, but I understand why the bassplayer in most rockbands are overlooked. 

lol I try to be realistic, but I'm also self aware enough to know I'm completely biased when it comes to Duff. :P Like I have one of those picture key chains but instead of pics of my kids, I have two pics of Duff, front and back. It's bad ya'll. Everytime I hand someone my car keys they are like "um?" lol. So it'll never be a "he's just the bass player" situation for me. No he wasn't cranking out all the lyrics but he was definitely a participant. Enough that they all got in arguments about who wrote what and ended up having to just split it 5 ways (or 4 ways plus Steven since I think he got less than everyone else). 

20 minutes ago, Mandy123 said:

lol I try to be realistic, but I'm also self aware enough to know I'm completely biased when it comes to Duff. :P Like I have one of those picture key chains but instead of pics of my kids, I have two pics of Duff, front and back. It's bad ya'll. Everytime I hand someone my car keys they are like "um?" lol. So it'll never be a "he's just the bass player" situation for me. No he wasn't cranking out all the lyrics but he was definitely a participant. Enough that they all got in arguments about who wrote what and ended up having to just split it 5 ways (or 4 ways plus Steven since I think he got less than everyone else). 

Yeah, and I'm not downplaying his involvement or try to make him seem less important... I always thought he was kinda the musical director in the band because he was the one who played all the instruments and who had probably the most band experience, so he was definitely important, but for the majority of people out there he's 'merely' the bassplayer, hence why there aren't that many Duff stories out there as there are Slash and Axl stories, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I've been seeing a lot of musicians on all levels attending these shows commenting on how duff has the best bass tone. Just massive! A lot of comments on his backing vocals as well and of course those sweet melodic basslines!

It is no surprise that GN'R took off. Just so much talent. Really amazing and complete destiny that they found each other

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Has put down some legendary stuff on tape, SCOM-Locomotive-YCBM-Rocket Queen-Nightrain are ones that spring straight to mind but there's many more. He's aggressive yet elegant and tasteful at the same time, doesn't overplay. From what i've read and heard he's held in very high regard by bass players.

yup add Coma, Estranged, Don't Cry Brownstone, easy & jungle

8 hours ago, Slosh13 said:

That's a great point. Music is always about feel and emotion, which is why I'm not a fan of Van Halen, who, arguably is a better technical player than Slash, but his albums are soulless. I'd take all of Slash's solos over the likes of Van Halen.

Duff is underrated, that Rocket Queen bassline is so on the money.

EVH has soul. Just not as much as Slash.

Buckethead has an excellent mix of technical proficiency & pure soul. 

Robin is far from technical but he is all soul so it works

6 hours ago, nonok said:

I was just about to post this. Duff is the king of the groove. Just listen to that catchy shit!

And this, too. He's playing without a pick a lot now, so that adds even more to the slickness of his basslines. He's a great musician with an instinctual feel for rhythm and attitude, really underrated indeed.

I noticed that. Does he play the whole show without a pick? Like even It's So Easy?

Duff might not be the most technically proficient bass player ever.  But he is a very talented musician who can play bass, guitar, and drums.  Great backing vocals and the punk rock vibe.  And he is the man who brought Axl and Slash back to the table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also, one of the coolest dudes in rock n' roll.  YES, I have met him.  He is a very personable, cool cat.  Duff Rocks!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I think your response indicates how under-rated he is by some.  Most musicians that I know constantly claim Duff to be a top 50 bassist of all time.  That's pretty good company to be in. 

Exactly he is the textbook definition of underrated. And his playing keeps getting better. His parts on AFD & UYI are classic and he was a mess back then

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

yea its a good thing he just kicks ass and goes a little more unnoticed than Axl/Slash because if he was out there like Flea it wouldn't be Guns N' Roses music

Duff has the 'unfortunate' position to be the bassplayer. Bassplayer almost never get the love/admiration they deserve. Because they 'just play the bass'. Sad but true. I like Duff, i am no musician so i cant say if he is a great bassplayer or not. But he seems like a great guy and perfect for GNR. :)

Duff is the most down to earth bloke i've ever met. Was really laid back when i met him backstage at a Loaded show in 2011. just chatted like normal people. but as a musician he's not under or over rated in my opinion.

• Like 1

As a bass player, with Duff being my favorite of all time, I think he's underrated by the general public and Guns n Roses fans, but right where he needs to be by the bass playing community for the most part. He's not Geddy Lee or Steve Harris, but he's better than a LOT of other bass players.

Edited by GnRDuff1
Autocorrect seems to think his name is Teddy Lee.

2 hours ago, GnRDuff1 said:

As a bass player, with Duff being my favorite of all time, I think he's underrated by the general public and Guns n Roses fans, but right where he needs to be by the bass playing community for the most part. He's not Geddy Lee or Steve Harris, but he's better than a LOT of other bass players.

I hear that Teddy Lee plays a mean bass tho....great post!

On 7/13/2016 at 4:31 PM, Babooshka said:

I think he's underrated everything. Bass player, singer, song writer.

Agreed PLUS...

He's an underrated top-notch role-model human being.

:headbang:

• Like 3

Duff may not be recognized like a player such as Bernard Edwards or Jaco Pastorius but he delivers the punch. His grooves are meaty as hell...like Arthur Kane's were. 

He knows exactly where and when to lay it down, when to lay off and let the high end of the band shine. His playing weaves throughout and glues everything together, as any skilled bass player's will and is supposed to. His sound is completely effortless. I've always loved his playing. So yes, underrated..

• Like 2