02/04/17 - Auckland - Western Springs Stadium

RussTCB

27 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

C32KcD8XAAEthVt.jpg

that's Australia I think and not New Zealand..the 1993 I mean and it was on 6th february..Axls birthday almost the same date as today...

but that stage was 3 times longer and much better... the band had bigger approach to the audience and even the farthest sideways fans could see them..

1 hour ago, scooby845 said:

that's Australia I think and not New Zealand..the 1993 I mean and it was on 6th february..Axls birthday almost the same date as today...

but that stage was 3 times longer and much better... the band had bigger approach to the audience and even the farthest sideways fans could see them..

It's pretty much the same stage set up added with amazing HD screens

3 minutes ago, moreblack said:

That immediately adds so much to the experience. I remember watching the Coachella shows videos and hoping they'd have something like that for the big stadium shows. 

I agree. When I first saw GNR in KC last year I was astounded by the clarity of the screens. The those are the best screens I Have seen for a concert and they certainly make the experience for those seated far away from the stage.

12 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

mental notes that I made throughout the gig:

- Slash broke a string on DTJ but seemed to take that as a challenge and fucking owned that song.

- best vocals i've heard on Better, Nightrain, Jungle, TIL, Civil War, YCBM, RQ,  My Michelle ever (not including like the 80s and stuff haha)

- Don't know if Axl was just on fucking point last night or what, but his clean vocals were no where near as annoying or lame as they have sounded on past scopes and videos. 

- Had a moment of interaction with Axl!! I know some of you here have met him, but I am still buzzing from it! He was walking up to the little ramp walkway thing, and since I was leaning on the barrier I stuck my arms out as far as I could and was screaming and shouting, and he spotted me and playfully mimicked what I was doing with his arms too! I know a lot of people have the whole 'they looked at me!' thing but more than one stranger came up to me afterwards and said like Dude Axl totally spotted you and shit! and commented on the look on my face afterwards haha. 

- Axl seemed to be in a really good mood actually all night, cheeky little dances and nuances, facial expressions and shit. When you watch enough live footage of him you can kinda just tell haha. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves, I caught all of them at least once zoning out and just taking in the surroundings and stuff which was really cool. 

- People need to stop giving Melissa shit. If anything she seemed to have more of an effect on the sound of things than dizzy tbh. her backing vocals often really work, too. However it's so abundantly clear that the big three just carry the show completely. 

- don't crucify me but i actually really enjoyed KOHD!

- is this the first time (recently) they've played Don't Cry two gigs in a row? I just assumed it'd be patience given they did Don't Cry in wellington, but after Sorry I noticed Axl say something in to the silent mic thing which may have been telling everyone to do Don't Cry instead? Wonder why though. 

- the first time Slash did his stomp-spinning thing the crowd just spontaneously went wild, like fuck yeah this is Guns N' fucking Roses! Ditto with Axl spinning and chucking his mic stand behind him

- Gun to my head I have to say something negative? Well in that case, it'd be to flag at least the blues jam before GF/SCOM. That, plus RQ jam, plus GF, plus Wish You Were Here, would easily be another 2 or 3 proper songs. I understand why they do it though, so not complaining. 

- and the oscar goes to axl rose. Jesus what a fucking beast that man is. Just absolutely slayed me with his voice. Slash and Duff make the bones of GNR, but Axl is the fucking king without a doubt

Can't put it in to words that'd do it justice, but jesus what a night. Instantly in my top 5 gigs I've ever seen. If you ever get a chance to see them you have to do it!! I'm kicking myself for not starving myself and making Wellington happen for me too. What a fucking journey "my show" is done! Thanks so much to all of you for making the ride so much damn fun!! This forum is stuck with me now :) Let's keep the train moving, best wishes to all of you attending shows in 2017, especially Australia coming up so soon!! Hopefully make it full circle when they come back Down Under in a few years :)

Oh and sorry to everyone that I didn't stream!! I did about a minute and a half of estranged and honestly thought fuck this! Makes me very VERY appreciative of all the scopes we've seen so far, these people are dedicated!

https://adramatization.wordpress.com/ (link to my shitty little blog where I did a slightly more professional review haha )

terrific post! kudos :)

Tremendous show, the size of that crowd was truly a sight. cremefraiche is right, all those houses on the street at the back of the stadium had a great night - people on balconies watching and others at the top of the barrier wall.

Probably the best KOHD I've heard live, that one in particular was a standout from a terrific night.

While I completely understand the talk about setlist fatigue in here, the crowd around me were all guessing what song was next and were genuinely thrilled with Coma, LALD, Yesterdays as well as the classics.

Edited by Harlum Shake
  • Like 1

I feel like Rocket Queens solo would be far more enjoyable if whoever is playing rhythm (Slash when 4tus is doing the solo, and 4tus when Slash is doing the solo) at that momentt plays those ambient chords that Slash does in the intro and verse in the background of RQ

For example: Slash's rhythm guitarist slowly fades in the background chords, which to me give it a more soothing/emotive sounding ambiance to it. Before that, it sounds bland (to me), but when that "ambience" progression comes in, it gives it direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

We should meet up next time aye. I hope they come back soon, they might next year hopefully.

P.S. In defense of Coma, yes Axl did waver but it wasn't from a lack of trying. It wasn't phoned-in that s.o.b. fucking gave it his all. Similar to Vegas it was a guttural, desperate struggle for power fitting for the likes of Coma :headbang: 

Yeah dude definitely, you crossed my mind a few times throughout the day!

fuck yeah, definitely with ya regarding Coma

29 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

We should meet up next time aye. I hope they come back soon, they might next year hopefully.

P.S. In defense of Coma, yes Axl did waver but it wasn't from a lack of trying. It wasn't phoned-in that s.o.b. fucking gave it his all. Similar to Vegas it was a guttural, desperate struggle for power fitting for the likes of Coma :headbang: 

i think all of us in Vegad can attest to that! :headbang: