Myles Kennedy: We Have Recently Had Communication About Reconvening Slash & The Conspirators; New Album

Libertad/Contraband (never can decide, two different vibes for two different listening experiences)

Slash (i'd like another album like this if we don't get gnr)

5 O Clock Somewhere

Aint Life Grand

The two with Myles 

17 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ain't Life Grand is SO underrated imo. His tone was monsterous on it, so heavy and awesome. I'd love for him to have that sound on a new GNR album!

Same but unfortunately, that's not Slashs call. Axl has the final say but...nice to dream

14 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I remember reading that only Axl, Slash and Duff were getting the percentages paid by promoters, whereas the other band members make their money through merchandise sales and the like. Don't quote me on that, as the information could very well be wrong. I just remember reading it somewhere.

That's another possibility, the point is more that there's these weird business structures that could easily make it difficult for Izzy not to get equal loot. 

On 31.1.2017 at 5:53 AM, ludurigan said:

Yeah I think you can say that Axl's and Slash's solo tunes are more completed than Izzy's in the sense that it seems kinda obvious that they (specially Axl) put some more effort (or should i say "time"?) on them. They usually have more parts, more intricated riffs and what not. Axl also seems to always be trying to make a big statement or something with his lyrics/themes.

Izzy's songs are usually more simpler, usually have two or three parts and they all seem to be kinda effortless. Even though I am convinced that Izzy spends more time working on them than most people think. What I love about Izzys songs and what i think most of them have is dynamics. They flow, they groove, they rock. I get a good feeling listening to them.

On Slash's solo albums you have great moments, terrific riffs. But they are far apart and kinda lost inside songs that have shitty dynamics, songs that dont flow well. I think both Axl and Slash cant really do song structure very well and they cant do good transitions, dynamics, crescendos, that kind of thing.

You dont have the "push and pull" on their songs. Remember that izzy quote about steven? Izzy Stradlin on Steven Adler: "His sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. Its a bit like that, you dont have too much of that on Axl and Slash solo songs. On Izzys songs, you have much more of those sweet dynamics.

On a lot of Axl and Slash songs you get to a certain part of the song where it is rocking. Then you go "wow, this song is good". But then like 10, 20 seconds later the song takes a turn to the "wrong side" and gets really boring and mediocre. It sorta of loses the momentum it had generated before.  

I agree 100% with you when you say that you can hear in Izzy's songs the basics of the Guns songs. Yes!, its all there. And I agree like 50% when you say that "they lack the special moments". Some of Izzys songs, maybe 10-15% of them, they really have that extra quality, those special moments. Of course not GNR-level special moments. If you put them side by side with GNR 1985-1991 songs they will always look and sound inferior. Specially because Izzys (so fucking cool) vocals and Ricks (really fucking nice) solo guitar playing are not half as dramatic as Axls vocals/Slash's solos.

Yeah, like you said, I agree that Slash's guitar sound is one of these special moments. I just think that the special moments on his albums are "lost" and far between. One thing I really hate on Slashs solo albums is that the rhythm parts that he solos over are really shitty. Its usually some part of the song that had already appeared before and it usually ONE SINGLE PART that doesnt change! So Slash can do the best solo ever over it, but he is soloing over a boring part and that will never feel good.

I remember one Gilby interview where he analysed GNR songs saying that on a lot of GNR songs the "solo parts" where "new" parts and they looked like "a mini-song inside the song". You clearly have that on several GNR songs.

Sweet child o mine is a prime example.

(i dont know much about guitar so I can tell if the chords below are on the right tone etc)

verse = D C G D
Chorus = A G D

verse = D C G D
Chorus = A G D

Solo = Em C Bm Am 

Outro = Em G A C D

what you have here that is different from most of the popular music?

first, 99% percent of the rock/pop bands would do a solo part using the same chord-sequence of the verse or the same chord-sequence of the chorus or both. here, the solo part is a "new part" (like Gilby mentioned) that hadn't appeared anywhere on the song before. more important than that (because there is no sense in adding new parts just for the sake of adding new parts, check dream theather and chinese democracy to verify that), is that the new part totally fits in the song and flows perfectly, there is no interruption when the chord changes, its actually the other way aroud, the song gains momentum when that big Em kicks in! 

second, despite the fact that it is a solo played over the same chord sequence (Em C Bm Am), it feels like a two-part "solo-part", because the rhythm guys (izzy, duff and steven) change completely the pace of the playing midway the solo. The first part is they play kinda mellow and flowy, but the second part is heavier and more agreesive and groovy. I may be usin some not too precise words to describe it but you will definetely be able to notice what i am trying to say listening to the song

the "flowy part of the solo goes from 2m34s to 3m07s

in between the two parts, as a "transition", you get the oldest trick in rock/pop music which is the part that goes from 3m03s to 3m07s

is it correct to call it a "crescendo"? i have no idea.

and there you have it, the songs gains a lot of momentum and sort of explodes at 3m07  

and thats when the more agreesive part of the solo begins (on the video, this is the part when izzy starts to fly his arms on the air), it goes from 3m07s to 3m37

so what you have here?

you have a perfect rhythm part to solo over!

you add slash soloing over THAT and there you have it!

thats why we love this shit

===

I think there is one VR song that reached GNR quality which is Come on Come In. I have no idea if Slash and Duff wrote the instrumental part for that song. That song ROCKS, from beginning to end. I think its an anomaly on Slash/Duff catalogue. Maybe it was put together by Dave Kushner, who knows? I read that he pretty much wrote Get Out The Door by himself. Maybe it was Scott Weiland or his producer that wrote/arranged the song? To make matters worse they barely played that song live! Id love to know more about who wrote that song and why t was ignored by the band on live shows!

===

I am kinda sure that any Axl/Slash/Duff song will be way better than anything from their solo careers. I agree with you on that. But the problem is that its not really hard to do that. Their solo songs are mostly subpar songs with the odd exception here and there.

Any decent rock band can make better songs than Axl, Slash and Duff solo songs.

What I dont see too many bands doing is top-quality music like GNR.

Very few bands can do it

I think we will be REALLY lucky if Axl/Slash/Duff and the four aliens get to write good songs...

I agree with most of the 1. half of your post. You used the word dynamics for describing what Izzy's songs have and what Slash's and Axl's lack. I think it's definitely this. And I totaly agree with you saying Slash's songs rhythm part lacks quality. Definitely it does.

Usualy.

There are songs of both with dynamics and pretty well rhythm parts IMO as are some special moments in Izzy's songs like you said. Nine out of ten times there are not, but they exists. Take Sweet Caress for example or Mother Maria, there's everything there.

Nevertheless I always said Slash needs Axl and Izzy for obvious reasons and vice versa. Too often the rhythm guitar was shit, too often the vocals didn't do it for me.

Can't say much about the second half of your post because I have no idea about music theory. I just can tell if I like something or not. And overall I like/love many Slash songs even if they're lacking something. 

Anyway we heard the Axl/Slash combo in the past and I still think they can produce some quality shit together. But we can also agree to disagree on this point. Chances for new music from those two aren't very well, so...

On 1/31/2017 at 4:46 PM, Top-Hatted One said:

Yet another reason why VR was more interesting than SMKC besides talent and musicianship 

Just couldn't get into SMKC. Myles has a big voice, and the guys behind Slash can play, but it all has a very boring generic sound to me. Myles just has no personality on the mic. I do like Back to Cali and a few others.

Contraband and Libertad have a very different feel to each. I see many on here that feel strongly one way or the other. Love Contrband but don't care for Libertad and vice versa. I guess you can call that a negative, but to me that shows pretty good diversity. I love both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J Dog said:

Just couldn't get into SMKC. Myles has a big voice, and the guys behind Slash can play, but it all has a very boring generic sound to me. Myles just has no personality on the mic. I do like Back to Cali and a few others.

Contraband and Libertad have a very different feel to each. I see many on here that feel strongly one way or the other. Love Contrband but don't care for Libertad and vice versa. I guess you can call that a negative, but to me that shows pretty good diversity. I love both.

Myles just doesn't have the stuff. Axl got magic coming out of his ass he's so charismatic. Even his speaking voice is melodically superior to Myles as it trembles for another plate of food.

Scott had some but not near Axl's level, not even close. Myles doesn't have anything. It's generic, it's devoid of personality or just doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason he is boring and it makes it hard to listen to WOF without using my special "nvm that fuck" powers where you concentrate really hard not listening to Myles impersonating cause Slash is shredding underneath all that shit and I want to hear it.

"this sun is rising" *points to good morning light* "good morning!" ) 0:10 mark

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

No. Simply no.

Face it Daisy, fat Axl is the living king of Hard Rock. It's just a fact. There is no one else better. Look what happened with AC/DC. It only confirmed Axl is still the king when it comes to Hard Rock singing.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Face it Daisy, fat Axl is the living king of Hard Rock. It's just a fact. There is no one else better. Look what happened with AC/DC. It only confirmed Axl is still the king when it comes to Hard Rock singing.

He is good when he is good like with AC/DC and during his heyday but there is different tiers here, different categories of excellence, and by citing The King you open up a category about twenty times removed from the category Rose languishes in.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is good when he is good like with AC/DC and during his heyday but there is different tiers here, different categories of excellence, and by citing The King you open up a category about twenty times removed from the category Rose languishes in.

Not as relevant I feel. That may be true, but in his category, his genre, which is Rock/Hard Rock, Axl is the best singer thanks to his unique voice and charismatic nature. At his 50's he sounds just as good as Bon Scott when he was still alive and on a good night.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Not as relevant I feel. That may be true, but in his category, his genre, which is Rock/Hard Rock, Axl is the best singer thanks to his unique voice and charismatic nature. At his 50's he sounds just as good as Bon Scott when he was still alive and on a good night.

He needs Angus. Without Angus Young kicking him up the arse Rose sounds terrible. With DC he sounded like his '80s peak. Terrific he was with DC.

You like to here Myles , or you hate it... thats personal taste !! I like SMKC , more than GN'R now !! Because when i see them play, i believe them !! its not fake it's real.

Now i am not saying guns is fake, but GN'R has lost there edge !! there not dangerous anymore !! When Slash played guns songs with SMKC, it sounded more GN'R then now !! I don't now what it is, it is, al to arranged, too perfect !! No interviews from Slash, is so wiered !! The man allways vented his thoughts !!

I hope that the next SMKC album comes soon !!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

I hope that the next SMKC album comes soon !!

Same here. Axl is probably going to tinker for years on his own and/or might do something with Angus.

If Axl needs Slash to tour or in the studio, that's priority 1 for me. But there is a lot of down time in Gn'R land. I just want new Slash riffs and killer solos and Slash delivers on that department. Conspirators lll is 90% finished.

If Axl doesn't need Slash right away after the NITL tour is over, Slash should do something with The Conspirators. Fire Myles and record with Dave Grohl.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Myles just doesn't have the stuff. Axl got magic coming out of his ass he's so charismatic. Even his speaking voice is melodically superior to Myles as it trembles for another plate of food.

Scott had some but not near Axl's level, not even close. Myles doesn't have anything. It's generic, it's devoid of personality or just doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason he is boring and it makes it hard to listen to WOF without using my special "nvm that fuck" powers where you concentrate really hard not listening to Myles impersonating cause Slash is shredding underneath all that shit and I want to hear it.

"this sun is rising" *points to good morning light* "good morning!" ) 0:10 mark

Yea but Myles is still better the rest of the garbage frontmen out there who would've signed on. Like Corey Taylor for example. Myles may not be a great showman but his vocal range allowed Slash to play his entire catalog live with the justice they deserve thanks to Myles. Not only does he have a great vocal range but he is also a very good guitar player