Myles Kennedy: We Have Recently Had Communication About Reconvening Slash & The Conspirators; New Album

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Don't believe everything you read. I think the 50/50 split is nothing more than an assumption, we don't really know how they split the money.

That 'Duff shares his earnings with Slash' - rumor makes absolutely no sense, so don't present us any untenable assertions from Brett Buchanan/AlternativNation type of sources as facts. Some people would call them alternativ facts.

It seems too detailed to be an assumption. Duff is giving Slash some of his share because his divorce is brutal. Would Florentine really make that up? Just so when he meets them they think he's a whatever. 

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

1. VR Contraband - aided by writing with talents like Scott, Duff & Matt leading to mega-hits like Slither/FTP/SMF and other great songs like loving the alien, ygnr, suckertrain & DIFTK

2. Slash-Slash: again aided by the writing of other mega-talents like Cornell, Ashtbury, Lemmy, Izzy- Gotten, By The Sword,  Ghost, Dr. Alibi, Starlight, Cali, Promise, Hold on, etc

3. Apocalyptic Love- for Anastasia alone

4. Libertad

5. Ain't life Grand

6. 5 o'clock 

7. WOF

I would go, 1. Slash. 2. Libertad  3. It's 5 O' Clock  4. Ain't Life Grand  5. World on Fire  6. Apocalyptic Love and 7. Contraband.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Free Bird said:

IMO Axl's and Slash's solo tunes are more... completed than Izzy's. That's my impression. Not that I like their songs more or anything. Especially Axl's attempt failed IMO, but Slash has as well released a lot of weak songs (weak for different reasons) over the last two decades. 

I just think you can hear in Izzy's songs the basics of the Guns songs but they lack the special moments that turns them eventually in such Guns songs.

Slash's songs lack the basics but his significant guitar sound is one of this special moments. His playing was the biggest part I became a fan in the first place, so it's very important to me personally.

Axl's tunes... obviously he is responsible for these epic ballads. Not that we needed CD to know this, but it made clear once again were his journey was meant to take us. The song structure, melodies and enough creativity made me believe that his contributions combined with Slash's ideas and vice versa together with Duff as a bond, will not only lead us to a possibly new album that is enjoyable, but there will be music on it that will surpass the music of these guys solo attempts qualitywise. 

Not saying they'll release a GNR quality record in full without Izzy because that's something I believe we will never get anymore unless the AFD5 won't give it a try.

Yeah I think you can say that Axl's and Slash's solo tunes are more completed than Izzy's in the sense that it seems kinda obvious that they (specially Axl) put some more effort (or should i say "time"?) on them. They usually have more parts, more intricated riffs and what not. Axl also seems to always be trying to make a big statement or something with his lyrics/themes.

Izzy's songs are usually more simpler, usually have two or three parts and they all seem to be kinda effortless. Even though I am convinced that Izzy spends more time working on them than most people think. What I love about Izzys songs and what i think most of them have is dynamics. They flow, they groove, they rock. I get a good feeling listening to them.

On Slash's solo albums you have great moments, terrific riffs. But they are far apart and kinda lost inside songs that have shitty dynamics, songs that dont flow well. I think both Axl and Slash cant really do song structure very well and they cant do good transitions, dynamics, crescendos, that kind of thing.

You dont have the "push and pull" on their songs. Remember that izzy quote about steven? Izzy Stradlin on Steven Adler: "His sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. Its a bit like that, you dont have too much of that on Axl and Slash solo songs. On Izzys songs, you have much more of those sweet dynamics.

On a lot of Axl and Slash songs you get to a certain part of the song where it is rocking. Then you go "wow, this song is good". But then like 10, 20 seconds later the song takes a turn to the "wrong side" and gets really boring and mediocre. It sorta of loses the momentum it had generated before.  

I agree 100% with you when you say that you can hear in Izzy's songs the basics of the Guns songs. Yes!, its all there. And I agree like 50% when you say that "they lack the special moments". Some of Izzys songs, maybe 10-15% of them, they really have that extra quality, those special moments. Of course not GNR-level special moments. If you put them side by side with GNR 1985-1991 songs they will always look and sound inferior. Specially because Izzys (so fucking cool) vocals and Ricks (really fucking nice) solo guitar playing are not half as dramatic as Axls vocals/Slash's solos.

Yeah, like you said, I agree that Slash's guitar sound is one of these special moments. I just think that the special moments on his albums are "lost" and far between. One thing I really hate on Slashs solo albums is that the rhythm parts that he solos over are really shitty. Its usually some part of the song that had already appeared before and it usually ONE SINGLE PART that doesnt change! So Slash can do the best solo ever over it, but he is soloing over a boring part and that will never feel good.

I remember one Gilby interview where he analysed GNR songs saying that on a lot of GNR songs the "solo parts" where "new" parts and they looked like "a mini-song inside the song". You clearly have that on several GNR songs.

Sweet child o mine is a prime example.

(i dont know much about guitar so I can tell if the chords below are on the right tone etc)

verse = D C G D
Chorus = A G D

verse = D C G D
Chorus = A G D

Solo = Em C Bm Am 

Outro = Em G A C D

what you have here that is different from most of the popular music?

first, 99% percent of the rock/pop bands would do a solo part using the same chord-sequence of the verse or the same chord-sequence of the chorus or both. here, the solo part is a "new part" (like Gilby mentioned) that hadn't appeared anywhere on the song before. more important than that (because there is no sense in adding new parts just for the sake of adding new parts, check dream theather and chinese democracy to verify that), is that the new part totally fits in the song and flows perfectly, there is no interruption when the chord changes, its actually the other way aroud, the song gains momentum when that big Em kicks in! 

second, despite the fact that it is a solo played over the same chord sequence (Em C Bm Am), it feels like a two-part "solo-part", because the rhythm guys (izzy, duff and steven) change completely the pace of the playing midway the solo. The first part is they play kinda mellow and flowy, but the second part is heavier and more agreesive and groovy. I may be usin some not too precise words to describe it but you will definetely be able to notice what i am trying to say listening to the song

the "flowy part of the solo goes from 2m34s to 3m07s

in between the two parts, as a "transition", you get the oldest trick in rock/pop music which is the part that goes from 3m03s to 3m07s

is it correct to call it a "crescendo"? i have no idea.

and there you have it, the songs gains a lot of momentum and sort of explodes at 3m07  

and thats when the more agreesive part of the solo begins (on the video, this is the part when izzy starts to fly his arms on the air), it goes from 3m07s to 3m37

so what you have here?

you have a perfect rhythm part to solo over!

you add slash soloing over THAT and there you have it!

thats why we love this shit

===

I think there is one VR song that reached GNR quality which is Come on Come In. I have no idea if Slash and Duff wrote the instrumental part for that song. That song ROCKS, from beginning to end. I think its an anomaly on Slash/Duff catalogue. Maybe it was put together by Dave Kushner, who knows? I read that he pretty much wrote Get Out The Door by himself. Maybe it was Scott Weiland or his producer that wrote/arranged the song? To make matters worse they barely played that song live! Id love to know more about who wrote that song and why t was ignored by the band on live shows!

===

I am kinda sure that any Axl/Slash/Duff song will be way better than anything from their solo careers. I agree with you on that. But the problem is that its not really hard to do that. Their solo songs are mostly subpar songs with the odd exception here and there.

Any decent rock band can make better songs than Axl, Slash and Duff solo songs.

What I dont see too many bands doing is top-quality music like GNR.

Very few bands can do it

I think we will be REALLY lucky if Axl/Slash/Duff and the four aliens get to write good songs...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ain't Life Grand is SO underrated imo. His tone was monsterous on it, so heavy and awesome. I'd love for him to have that sound on a new GNR album!

Agreed. Tone wise it's the best he's ever sounded. Maybe on par or at least a Rivals gnr. VR tone sucked. SMKC a little better. 

I also love AIG. Was on repeat for years. Was a much more cohesive record than 5 0'clock and they sounded like a band. Rods voice is incredible and Matt Laug on drums. However, His playing, songwriting and focus has naturally progressed to greater levels since

Edited by Top-Hatted One

Yea Ludiguran. A fair amount of Slash and VR songs are Chug Chug Chug along with little dynamic. That's where Izzy and Steven to a certain extent are sorely missed. They miss Izzy's knack for crafting great songs with groove, foundation and dynamics.

Axl is dynamic in his writing at times. 

Slash playing is dynamic not his writing and crafting. That's why he is at his best adding classic timeless riffs to songs crafted by masters like Axl, Scott, Cornell, ashtbury, etc 

• Like 1

I do have a fondness for Ain't Life Grand as I  saw Slash live at a little club in Sheffield of all places - I still have the t-shirt and concert programme. It is a good little record which I play occasionally, but a bit on the cheesy side one feels.

• Like 2

Also great point on the rhythm guitar parts during the solos in his songs and the Gilby/Izzy reference. The rhythm parts are very bland and repeated throughout the song. Some of UYI suffers from this as well as Slash was the one recording the rhythm parts. Either because Izzy was MIA or Slash didn't appreciate Izzy's playing at the time as much as he does now. Seems Slash prefers to write all the guitar parts and then getting a hired gun on Rhythm for tours. Probably saves a shitload of $$$$ and loot from paying salary & royalties.

and well done on the SCOM breakdown. Exactly what I've been saying for years to counter those who try to diminish Izzy's role in gnr 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

Lastly agree wholeheartedly about Come on Come in. I was blown away then and I'm blown away when I spin it now.

Like Axl's OMG it is criminal that neither made it on record. 

I believe it was a song that the guys put together. See Matt Sorums instructional drum video to see how they craft songs. Usually starts with a bass part from the Duff. And another song Scott and the producer had a huge role in crafting and shuffling the melodies and parts around in studio like with Slither, Big Machine, DIFTK, American Man, Mary Mary, She Mine & Pills, Demons etc

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, starlight said:

GNR actually hasn't produce a good album since Izzy left, that's reality. Of course Axl and Slash have talent and can compose good/great songs but the main force behind the band's success was Axl, Slash and Izzy collaboration.

Don't forget that Izzy wrote Don't cry, You could be mine and also contributed to the AFD's songs which made GNR famous.

Not saying he didn't contribute but Axl and Izzy both wrote Don't cry. I just like Axl's lyrical talent more so after the split. I think they make a great team together but separately I feel Axl and Slash are able to succeed alone as well. Of course your opinion on it is yours but I don't stand alone when I say Izzy's post GnR music isn't that great. 

Keeping with the thread a bit any new word from Myles Kennedy? 

Another thing with Come on Come in is KUSHNER's rhythm guitar is very present as it is in most VR songs. In your left speaker like Izzy. One of the main reasons VR is better than SMKC imo. Dave is the only rhythm to play off Slash and add dynamics since Izzy. Live and on record. Except Dave did it with a modern twist and sound which made it cool as fuck 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

Having developed a better understanding of how these guys think and what motivates them. I bet they hate the fact they have to share their VR royalties with Dave Kushner & Matt Sorum.

cheaper to hire and keep guys Frank Sidoris & Frank Ferrer to more or less get the job done and fulfill financial obligations 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do have a fondness for Ain't Life Grand as I  saw Slash live at a little club in Sheffield of all places - I still have the t-shirt and concert programme. It is a good little record which I play occasionally, but a bit on the cheesy side one feels.

Aren't the vocals horrendous? Any great songs off that album?

8 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Of Slash's three singers, Eric, Rod and Myles, Rod Jackson is probably the best. I used to like the guitar solo in Serial Killer, and Landslide.

19 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Rods voice fits Slashs guitar playing like a glove. In his book 6 years after the fact he still described it as the best voice he's ever heard. But he couldn't work with him any longer because he's an unmotivated pothead. Best songs are IMO Been There Lately, Mean Bone, Back To The Moment and the blues title track which is a remade version of a 1992 song Slash did. I could never get into Serial Killer but many people seem to love it, I think The Unholy from WOF was much more well done, they have very similar vibes.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Corporation club in 2000. I went to that gig too. Its my favourite memory of seeing any solo member of GnR. For me it's the most reminiscent of GnR in the 80s, you could get a bit of a sense of what shows like The Ritz must've been like. 

There was a guy in the queue to get in constantly telling everyone what a wanker Axl is, was that you? :lol: 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Rods voice fits Slashs guitar playing like a glove. In his book 6 years after the fact he still described it as the best voice he's ever heard. But he couldn't work with him any longer because he's an unmotivated pothead. Best songs are IMO Been There Lately, Mean Bone, Back To The Moment and the blues title track which is a remade version of a 1992 song Slash did. I could never get into Serial Killer but many people seem to love it, I think The Unholy from WOF was much more well done, they have very similar vibes.

SPEED PARADE

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Corporation club in 2000. I went to that gig too. Its my favourite memory of seeing any solo member of GnR. For me it's the most reminiscent of GnR in the 80s, you could get a bit of a sense of what shows like The Ritz must've been like. 

There was a guy in the queue to get in constantly telling everyone what a wanker Axl is, was that you? :lol: 

No it wasn't but I'm a fan of the guy instantly.

I remember a fan dressed as Slash walking outside and he was that good that everybody thought he was Slash.

PS

As if Slash would just queue up and walk into his own show with the fans!

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

I hear a lot of stuff on Izzy solo albums which could be easily Guns. Like Ball off Concrete is just like Out ta get me 2. Maybe Slash would play it more aggresive and Axl would do some rant lyrics. But it has all the swagger of AFD there. It's slow but it's fast. And Izzy does a lot of similar transitions, bridges, build ups. I think musically he's underated. 

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Thanks for your feedback. I'll check out the album. I would love to listen to the conspirators albums, but I can't listen Myles voice. 

23 minutes ago, wasted said:

I hear a lot of stuff on Izzy solo albums which could be easily Guns. Like Ball off Concrete is just like Out ta get me 2. Maybe Slash would play it more aggresive and Axl would do some rant lyrics. But it has all the swagger of AFD there. It's slow but it's fast. And Izzy does a lot of similar transitions, bridges, build ups. I think musically he's underated. 

Do you love any of Izzys solo albums? I've always had the impression he half asses his work. 

23 minutes ago, wasted said:

Do you love any of Izzys solo albums? I've always had the impression he half asses his work. 

25 minutes ago, wasted said:

57 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Thanks for your feedback. I'll check out the album. I would love to listen to the conspirators albums, but I can't listen Myles voice. 

Like a Dog, 117 Degrees, Ju ju Hounds, On Down the Road are all great. None of those are half assed. 

I love Concrete right now. It has a more half assed vibe. Miami has that feel but there's great songs on there. Slash albums contain few surprises, it's solid hard rock product though. They are both half assing compared to GNR I guess. 

I think sometimes the half ass vibe is just his off the cuff style. But listen again and there's some professional work there. Production wise or maybe lyrically sometimes it's not big 4 stadium metal but musically it's all there. He's not going to do a Coma or Estranged, but listen to Partly Cloudy - it's pretty epic. 

• Like 2

On 30/01/2017 at 7:07 PM, wasted said:

I don't know but I realised there's a weird symmetry dollar puzzle there. Axl has 25% at least. So Axl isn't getting less, not on my watch! So Miss, Diz, Fort, Iz are sharing 25%. Maybe less if Axl wants 30%. Sharing 20%. Izzy would get 5%. I can't see any way round it. Even if you cut the others pays Izzy wouldn't be close to the 25% he wants. 

I forgot about Frank too. There's just not enough money to go round. 

The Seeker is an awesome cover too. 

I remember reading that only Axl, Slash and Duff were getting the percentages paid by promoters, whereas the other band members make their money through merchandise sales and the like. Don't quote me on that, as the information could very well be wrong. I just remember reading it somewhere.