Myles Kennedy: We Have Recently Had Communication About Reconvening Slash & The Conspirators; New Album

8 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I liked Slash's earlier albums, and didn't mind his self-titled record, but i think every other one since then has been quite weak, especially with Myles on vocals. It's just generic rock with a boring lead singer. I would much prefer Slash dedicate his energy towards GN'R, and i'm glad the Conspirators seem to have been put on the backburner for now.

If there's isn't going to be a new Guns album, I would take another Slash solo style album over one with Myles and them any day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't see how songs like Anastasia Beneath The Savage Sun or Battleground are generic, there's nothing being made like it today. To me Slash always wrote the same style of music starting with AFD and never really moved away from that style so I can't see how GNR fans would complain about his music. The only legit complaint I can agree with is Myles, you either love his vocals or you hate them, and if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones who don't like them it ruins his music for you.

I can see where you are coming from. When i say generic, i am saying that there isn't a lot of variety in his recent material - especially with his last couple of albums. Sure, we do have songs like the ones you mentioned, but there are also more which just fall by the wayside.

8 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I guess Slash, Izzy and Axl had that chemistry that made them come up with top notch stuff together. According to most GNR fans, they haven't been able to replicate that on their own.

Check AC/DC's list, both Angus and Malcolm are credited in pretty much every song. Apparently, they didn't work on songs on their own, they did it together and it worked amazingly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_AC/DC

Seems like with GNR they kind of could write songs seperately like Axl/Izzy or Axl/Slash or just Izzy or Duff that Slash kind of pulled all together, so to replicate that is pretty difficult.

Slash is such an icon like Angus that you think they wrote everything. In that way it would be interesting to hear an Angus solo album. DC are phenomenal at this point where even on Rock or Bust there's 2-3 I wouldn't be surprised to see on a Best of if not a GH. 

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

WTF?! Why are people here comparing Slash's solo career to ACDC's catalog?

Only just we were debating about Axl, Slash and Duff and if they are capable of writing a Guns worthy album on their own. We know anybody of Guns is able to succeed on his own as much as they succeeded together as GNR, why should we compare Slash solo to ACDC? 

TWAT is Thunderstruck? Thunderstruck is a song known by almost everybody, rock fan or not. TWAT is like non existing compared to Thunderstruck. WTF!?

I think because I expect Slash solo to be as good as ACDC. Because Slash is as big as Angus. Maybe with VR it was in patches but Scott was part of the writing process. 

I was just using Thunderstruck as an example of quality. It's subjective but to me TWAT, Slither, Fall to Pieces, Shuffle It All,  are kind of up there. 

I see Rock or Bust or Rock n Roll Train as Thunderstruck level songs. There's at least 7 Thunderstruck level songs on CD. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I think because I expect Slash solo to be as good as ACDC. Because Slash is as big as Angus. Maybe with VR it was in patches but Scott was part of the writing process. 

I was just using Thunderstruck as an example of quality. It's subjective but to me TWAT, Slither, Fall to Pieces, Shuffle It All,  are kind of up there. 

I see Rock or Bust or Rock n Roll Train as Thunderstruck level songs. There's at least 7 Thunderstruck level songs on CD. 

Rock n roll train, yep! For me I'm as much a fan of that song as I am Thunderstruck... Not quite back in black (album) quality though.

Rock or bust? Not so much. Rock or bust is right beside stiff upper lip in the "I'm OK if they never play that again" file. 

5 hours ago, wasted said:

I think Malcolm was important when it came to AC/DC albums. Slash on his own, without other Guns members never reached the consistency of Gn'R in none of his albums.

This is because you do need at least Izzy, Axl, and Slash as songwriters to have all the flavors and then you also need Duff and Steven to make it function and sound like a fully realized Guns tune.

It worked on UYI, you still had the most important members doing their thing. Civil War an example of a pure Guns tune, the rest are still true Guns tunes with Matt.

Chinese had Paul to help set the tone on the important tunes. For example, if you take away Izzy it's not gonna sound like what we take for granted as a Guns album I think.

They can still do some Gn'R tunes without Izzy, Axl can write piano ballads, Slash can do like a Locomotive type of epic hard rocking tunes, hard rock tunes, and guitar ballads etc.

But each member in old Guns could do like a different thing which is why you need all of them or most of them for an album.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think Malcolm was important when it came to AC/DC albums. Slash on his own, without other Guns members never reached the consistency of Gn'R in none of his albums.

This is because you do need at least Izzy, Axl, and Slash as songwriters to have all the flavors and then you also need Duff and Steven to make it function and sound like a fully realized Guns tune.

It worked on UYI, you still had the most important members doing their thing. Civil War an example of a pure Guns tune, the rest are still true Guns tunes with Matt.

Chinese had Paul to help set the tone on the important tunes. For example, if you take away Izzy it's not gonna sound like what we take for granted as a Guns album I think.

They can still do some Gn'R tunes without Izzy, Axl can write piano ballads, Slash can do like a Locomotive type of epic hard rocking tunes, hard rock tunes, and guitar ballads etc.

But each member in old Guns could do like a different thing which is why you need all of them or most of them for an album.

I wonder if the Big 3 feel like they need to prove they can make a record themselves. 

Slash seems to take credit for most of AFD, but when I listen to his solo albums they are nowhere near. It's seems more Axl's idea of collabing, even though they didn't always like it that seemed to work. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wasted said:

I wonder if the Big 3 feel like they need to prove they can make a record themselves. 

Slash seems to take credit for most of AFD, but when I listen to his solo albums they are nowhere near. It's seems more Axl's idea of collabing, even though they didn't always like it that seemed to work. 

Axl probably always had that role of making sure it's put together right with all the Gn'R bells and whistles. That's important like PC synths and sex noises, One In A Million, and UYI with Civil War and Pretty Tied Up intros.

He makes it more Gn'R too, it's not just his voice, melodies, and lyrics. He always cared about the big picture when it came to the album. If you let others take control, it will become something else. Not as perfect, not as thought out.

It's mainly how Axl can take an idea and run with it. Not just by Slash or Izzy. It could be Robin, Paul, or Josh.

So perhaps Axl and Slash can first try to come up with new material, work on the best ideas and work on old material as well, the tunes that seem to still have a place in the album.

They have a strong line up and a lot of material to work with. They can do something between Chinese which Axl still likes and UYI which Slash probably won't mind and the fans they don't like clean, you feed them raspy and make half of it rock hard. You never give up on your synths and sad piano ballads.

Edited by Rovim

56 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl probably always had that role of making sure it's put together right with all the Gn'R bells and whistles. That's important like PC synths and sex noises, One In A Million, and UYI with Civil War and Pretty Tied Up intros.

He makes it more Gn'R too, it's not just his voice, melodies, and lyrics. He always cared about the big picture when it came to the album. If you let others take control, it will become something else. Not as perfect, not as thought out.

It's mainly how Axl can take an idea and run with it. Not just by Slash or Izzy. It could be Robin, Paul, or Josh.

So perhaps Axl and Slash can first try to come up with new material, work on the best ideas and work on old material as well, the tunes that seem to still have a place in the album.

They have a strong line up and a lot of material to work with. They can do something between Chinese which Axl still likes and UYI which Slash probably won't mind and the fans they don't like clean, you feed them raspy and make half of it rock hard. You never give up on your synths and sad piano ballads.

I always got the impression Slash and Izzy felt Axl was ruining their material. Like they didn't want Axl low talking on their songs or singing over Izzy, or adding synths or quotes. 

That why partly I expected Slash's solo albums or projects to be AFD. But it turned out that Axl's collab Queen thing is more why AFD happened than the hard rock or punk attitudes. It's the idea of putting Slash and Izzy together with Duff that's more important. 

That's why I see CD as more like AFD than Contraband. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wasted said:

I always got the impression Slash and Izzy felt Axl was ruining their material. Like they didn't want Axl low talking on their songs or singing over Izzy, or adding synths or quotes. 

That why partly I expected Slash's solo albums or projects to be AFD. But it turned out that Axl's collab Queen thing is more why AFD happened than the hard rock or punk attitudes. It's the idea of putting Slash and Izzy together with Duff that's more important. 

That's why I see CD as more like AFD than Contraband. 

No...

Simply no.

CD more like Appetite? You must be joking, right?

Appetite is fortunately completely free from Axl's nonsense farts. 

I ain't talking about a whistle here and some moanings there. That's ok. AFD is Axl at his best while he was concentrating on the main thing. Creating a song without overproduce it with fucking shit that has no place on a RNR album.

Slash's solo records sound like Slash. Simply as that. They lack Axl, Izzy, Duff and Steven to sound like GNR and Appetite.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

No...

Simply no.

CD more like Appetite? You must be joking, right?

Appetite is fortunately completely free from Axl's nonsense farts. 

I ain't talking about a whistle here and some moanings there. That's ok. AFD is Axl at his best while he was concentrating on the main thing. Creating a song without overproduce it with fucking shit that has no place on a RNR album.

Slash's solo records sound like Slash. Simply as that. They lack Axl, Izzy, Duff and Steven to sound like GNR and Appetite.

Exactly, Axl collabing with various members on AFD and CD means they are more a like than Slash just doing a Slash album. 

2 hours ago, trqster said:

It'll be so fuckin'hard for Slash to be playing regularly small arenas again after touring the world on filled up stadiums...just sayin...

Actually not. Back in the Illusions days he wanted to go back to playing in clubs and arenas and was happy when he was able to do it with Snakepit. It must be cool for him to be playing stadiums again after all this time but he loves both things and will enjoy playing in smaller venues as well.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 3:06 AM, wasted said:

Never heard Slash take credit for AFD

46 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Never heard Slash take credit for AFD

Not directly, but he said the only Izzy song is Think about you, which he didn't think belonged on AFD. No one really emphasized Izzy's importance. When Izzy left Duff said Axl brought more musically. The writing aspect in GNR doesn't seem too important. The success comes Axl and Slash's talent. 

37 minutes ago, wasted said:

Not directly, but he said the only Izzy song is Think about you, which he didn't think belonged on AFD. No one really emphasized Izzy's importance. When Izzy left Duff said Axl brought more musically. The writing aspect in GNR doesn't seem too important. The success comes Axl and Slash's talent. 

The fuck are you talking about? Attempting to diminish Izzy's input on AFD makes you look even worse than normal.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:38 AM, BorderlineCrazy said:

Actually not. Back in the Illusions days he wanted to go back to playing in clubs and arenas and was happy when he was able to do it with Snakepit. It must be cool for him to be playing stadiums again after all this time but he loves both things and will enjoy playing in smaller venues as well.

i totally agree! we have some venues here he needs to hit! :D

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

44 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

The fuck are you talking about? Attempting to diminish Izzy's input on AFD makes you look even worse than normal.

I'm just confused. I actually think Izzy wrote a lot for AFD that gets overlooked. Izzy gets less credit than he deserves (but I'm not sure about that). With Slash it's more obvious what he did, but on the other hand Slash hasn't done a Brownstone or OTGM without Izzy. Take DTJ for example, Izzy gets sole writing credit, but to me it seems Slash is really rocking it out on the record. Maybe that's just how it is, the lead guitarist and singer get all the attention. And it's cooler for rhythmn guy to hang back even if he wrote half the songs. I still think though Slash makes GNR successful more than Izzy. Otherwise Izzy solo songs would be as successful as Slash solo? 

56 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i totally agree! we have some venues here he needs to hit! :D

Well, the 3 times he came to Argentina with SMKC he played 2 shows in Buenos Aires. Each time, one of those shows was some sort of a special/intimate show in a place that holds around 1,500 people. Getting to watch him there was absolutely epic. Last time, in 2015, I was right on the front row and I couldn't believe how close to Slash I was. Then Duff joined to play It's So Easy and Paradise City. Simply mindblowning! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I hope I'll get to see Slash in a venue like that again someday!

• Like 4