Myles Kennedy: We Have Recently Had Communication About Reconvening Slash & The Conspirators; New Album

8 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

I'm a big Slash / Duff fan, but I don't believe that either has what it takes to make a real GNR album without Izzy. Basically, I never heard a VR song that I thought was GNR level quality. 

The thing is, and I think this is what pisses off so many fans, Izzy probably would return to the studio w/GNR if the others would quit being such greedy bastards. Pay him what he's worth and not just some insulting cameo fee. Sorry, but I can't help but feel that the core 3 are really screwing over the fan base because of their greed. 

As far as actually getting new music, I don't think it will ever happen (regardless of the lineup), but in the very, very off-cahnce that it does happen, it would need to come from the AFD 5. Reworked Chinese Democracy era material doesn't excite me in the slightest.

I think Slash maybe needs the money. Duff is even giving him some of his. 

I think there is some sort of trade off between money and Izzy being able to want to do the work of a huge tour. Just doesn't enjoy it somewhere. He's not loving it so much he'd do it for free. I think he's a AFD5 guy. He talked about once Steven was gone it wasn't the same. 

Axl and Slash have done great classic GNR songs without Izzy. And probably with a VR rocker and ballad and Axl's epics, there's an album that plays into the Reunion fanbase. 

But for Slash and Duff, in spirit is it the right thing to do? Slash seems to be writing with Fortus at sound checks so maybe. 

I wonder if I over state Izzy's importance but when I listen to his solo albums I hear elements that are missing from VR or CD. The obvious parts like Stonesy. But also maybe he doesn't do modern rock or drum loops much. Maybe he did a reggae jam but it was more like a futuristic ancient aliens type vibe. Like No Quarter, humans didn't make this. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slash is a great album. The two Conspirator albums have their moments but they are patchy. Slash is a different tale. A very enjoyable album I find.

I think it's the other way around. Back From Cali is Slashs best composition post GNR imo, but I don't listen to Crucify the Dead, Beautiful Dangerous, Promise, Gotten, Doctor Alibi, Watch This, Nothing To Say, Starlight, Saint Is A Sinner Too or his remake of Paradise City all that much. I Hold On, BFC, By The Sword, Ghost and We're all Gonna Die are the only 5 tracks out of 14 that I think hold up to WoF. I think the 2010 album even pales in comparison to either Snakepit album, but better than either VR album.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

15 hours ago, Free Bird said:

So basically you're saying rather no new music instead of new music without Izzy?

No, I always prefer new music

BaconMan said he was worried that the big greedies could record a GNR (:rofl-lol:) album and this album could be shelved and never get its way into the ears of the BaconMan :rofl-lol:

I replied saying that if that happens (a big greedies album without izzy gets shelved) I wouldnt really care

why?

because most likely there wont be any good songs on it 

check the big greedies solo career for proof on that, not really good songs on their solo albums Chinese Democracy, SMKC, Loaded etc

also because the big greedies would likely use the 4 aliens on the album. which basically means that it will be massive joke. Three of these four people are proven talentless songwriters who cant write a good song to save their lives. The blue-haired girl I have no idea if she can write songs, but if you check her love for self-promotion on twitter you can foresee that its likely that not very much good stuff will come out of her 

and of course releasing a "GNR" album without izzy is pathetic. They should obviously change their name and start calling themselves Big Three instead of GNR

===

having said that, if the big greedies record and release an album (with or without the four aliens) i will try and listen to it as soon as possible

I have done that with every release by Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven on the last three decades

and believe me, id love to be proven wrong on this

how good would it be if said album was full of good songs?

51 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

No, I always prefer new music

BaconMan said he was worried that the big greedies could record a GNR (:rofl-lol:) album and this album could be shelved and never get its way into the ears of the BaconMan :rofl-lol:

I replied saying that if that happens (a big greedies album without izzy gets shelved) I wouldnt really care

why?

because most likely there wont be any good songs on it 

check the big greedies solo career for proof on that, not really good songs on their solo albums Chinese Democracy, SMKC, Loaded etc

also because the big greedies would likely use the 4 aliens on the album. which basically means that it will be massive joke. Three of these four people are proven talentless songwriters who cant write a good song to save their lives. The blue-haired girl I have no idea if she can write songs, but if you check her love for self-promotion on twitter you can foresee that its likely that not very much good stuff will come out of her 

and of course releasing a "GNR" album without izzy is pathetic. They should obviously change their name and start calling themselves Big Three instead of GNR

===

having said that, if the big greedies record and release an album (with or without the four aliens) i will try and listen to it as soon as possible

I have done that with every release by Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven on the last three decades

and believe me, id love to be proven wrong on this

how good would it be if said album was full of good songs?

IMO Axl's and Slash's solo tunes are more... completed than Izzy's. That's my impression. Not that I like their songs more or anything. Especially Axl's attempt failed IMO, but Slash has as well released a lot of weak songs (weak for different reasons) over the last two decades. 

I just think you can hear in Izzy's songs the basics of the Guns songs but they lack the special moments that turns them eventually in such Guns songs.

Slash's songs lack the basics but his significant guitar sound is one of this special moments. His playing was the biggest part I became a fan in the first place, so it's very important to me personally.

Axl's tunes... obviously he is responsible for these epic ballads. Not that we needed CD to know this, but it made clear once again were his journey was meant to take us. The song structure, melodies and enough creativity made me believe that his contributions combined with Slash's ideas and vice versa together with Duff as a bond, will not only lead us to a possibly new album that is enjoyable, but there will be music on it that will surpass the music of these guys solo attempts qualitywise. 

Not saying they'll release a GNR quality record in full without Izzy because that's something I believe we will never get anymore unless the AFD5 won't give it a try.

• Like 1

You know I may be in a minority here but I honestly don't like Izzy's solo music much. I find myself checking it out usually because its Izzy and I have so much respect for him but haven't added any of his songs to my playlists or anything like that. None of them have really been anything that special to me.

I love Izzy as far as GnR goes but since he's left his writing just does nothing for me. I think many underscore Axl, Slash and others contributions and make it more like they can't succeed without Izzy. 

I happen to feel the only two who were successful after the split in some aspects are Axl and Slash. I also know that Slash didn't write the words to many of say VR songs where as Axl did with majority of his.

I'm not sure on Slash's other stuff he released its been quite a while since I've looked at any credits.

So if we're talking about lyric writing here I'm gonna give it to Axl right now and combine that with the music I still say GnR can produce a great album without Izzy.

I do hope and wish Izzy was there with them though.

• Like 3

A new guns album consisting of the guys who wrote Coma, Estranged and Nov Rain will be great regardless. However an album with Izzy contributing to the writing and recording would be incredible. His playing brings out the very best in Slash. There chemistry cannot be replicated. Even Slash has admitted that recently whereas they down played Izzy's contributions when he left in 91. Now they chose $$$$ over Izzy

I read somewhere (Florentine?) that it's a 50/50 split. Axl has 50% and pays the band. Slash and Duff share 50%. 

So who pays Izzy? 

Also consider Slash needs the money and Duff is already giving him some of his share. 

So for Axl would have to give Izzy Fortus' money or make less than Slash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

What is he? a farmer? there was just not enough money to pay Izzy without cutting Richard's salary in half or lose dignity.

I don't know but I realised there's a weird symmetry dollar puzzle there. Axl has 25% at least. So Axl isn't getting less, not on my watch! So Miss, Diz, Fort, Iz are sharing 25%. Maybe less if Axl wants 30%. Sharing 20%. Izzy would get 5%. I can't see any way round it. Even if you cut the others pays Izzy wouldn't be close to the 25% he wants. 

I forgot about Frank too. There's just not enough money to go round. 

The Seeker is an awesome cover too. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wasted said:

I read somewhere (Florentine?) that it's a 50/50 split. Axl has 50% and pays the band. Slash and Duff share 50%. 

So who pays Izzy? 

Also consider Slash needs the money and Duff is already giving him some of his share. 

So for Axl would have to give Izzy Fortus' money or make less than Slash. 

Don't believe everything you read. I think the 50/50 split is nothing more than an assumption, we don't really know how they split the money.

That 'Duff shares his earnings with Slash' - rumor makes absolutely no sense, so don't present us any untenable assertions from Brett Buchanan/AlternativNation type of sources as facts. Some people would call them alternativ facts.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

You know I may be in a minority here but I honestly don't like Izzy's solo music much. I find myself checking it out usually because its Izzy and I have so much respect for him but haven't added any of his songs to my playlists or anything like that. None of them have really been anything that special to me.

I love Izzy as far as GnR goes but since he's left his writing just does nothing for me. I think many underscore Axl, Slash and others contributions and make it more like they can't succeed without Izzy. 

I happen to feel the only two who were successful after the split in some aspects are Axl and Slash. I also know that Slash didn't write the words to many of say VR songs where as Axl did with majority of his.

I'm not sure on Slash's other stuff he released its been quite a while since I've looked at any credits.

So if we're talking about lyric writing here I'm gonna give it to Axl right now and combine that with the music I still say GnR can produce a great album without Izzy.

I do hope and wish Izzy was there with them though.

GNR actually hasn't produce a good album since Izzy left, that's reality. Of course Axl and Slash have talent and can compose good/great songs but the main force behind the band's success was Axl, Slash and Izzy collaboration.

Don't forget that Izzy wrote Don't cry, You could be mine and also contributed to the AFD's songs which made GNR famous.

The truth is, Richard Fortus is the current rhythm guitarist of Guns n' Roses. Has been since 2002. 15 years. Axl may be a lot of things, but if anything he's loyal. He's not the type to kick Richard out just because of others demands. Hell, this is the guy who wanted DJ Ashba to play along Slash. There's no reason to dump Fortus- he knows the majority of the Guns catalogue, is a great lead and rythym player, is the type of guitarist Slash works well with, and most importantly won't flake on the band in the middle of a tour. Izzy is a gamble. Adler and (D)Izzy wanted the original AFD5, but times have changed. Guns is a different animal now- move on.

On topic: I dislike SMKC a lot so this news makes me happy. Myles is a good guy but...I dont know, SMKC never did it for me. Band played a mean and crazy Rocket Queen though. And Starlight and Anastasia are good songs.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

That 'Duff shares his earnings with Slash' - rumor makes absolutely no sense, so don't present us any untenable assertions from Brett Buchanan/AlternativNation type of sources as facts. Some people would call them alternativ facts.

I've been told everything Jim Florentine said was massive bullshit and Duff actually got mad at him for that.

It blows my mind some people actually believe Slash has financial problems. The guy even produces movies that aren't mainstream at all...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I've been told everything Jim Florentine said was massive bullshit and Duff actually got mad at him for that.

It blows my mind some people actually believe Slash has financial problems. The guy even produces movies that aren't mainstream at all...

Not that unbelievable. It isn't about financial problems like normal people financial problems. It is rich people financial problems. He just went through a divorce where likely all the assets were split in half since he didn't have a pre-nup. Usually the majority of the assets aren't liquid. It'd take some time to turn some of those assets to liquid. And some of those assets he may not want to sell off (guitars etc). If he wanted to pay Perla off to get her out of his hair so he could get the reunion train going what better way than a quick no interest loan from a friend who also wants to get the reunion train going? The problem with rumors like that are that they are believable. And likely untrue as all rumors tend to be. And even if they were true what difference does it make?

I also heard slash and perla weren't officially married in the court therefore Perla isn't entitled to anything. If that was the case I'm sure Slash took care of her anyway and will continue to support his kids. Slash hasn't commented publicly and why would he.  It is probably best we don't speculate 

35 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I also heard slash and perla weren't officially married in the court therefore Perla isn't entitled to anything. If that was the case I'm sure Slash took care of her anyway and will continue to support his kids. Slash hasn't commented publicly and why would he.  It is probably best we don't speculate 

Slash was trying to take it to court a few months ago to say that they weren't really married. So I guess we will see how that will turn out. I don't have much hope for him though.

He'd be legally required to take care of her even if they weren't married due to California's laws, and probably still have to split anything earned while they were together but it wouldn't be anything like if the courts still think they were married.

ETA: Umm... I just realized that this was the Myles Kennedy discussion. This is kind of moved off topic. Sorry!

Edited by sanity_lost

38 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

He wishes:lol:

16 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think it's the other way around. Back From Cali is Slashs best composition post GNR imo, but I don't listen to Crucify the Dead, Beautiful Dangerous, Promise, Gotten, Doctor Alibi, Watch This, Nothing To Say, Starlight, Saint Is A Sinner Too or his remake of Paradise City all that much. I Hold On, BFC, By The Sword, Ghost and We're all Gonna Die are the only 5 tracks out of 14 that I think hold up to WoF. I think the 2010 album even pales in comparison to either Snakepit album, but better than either VR album.

Exactly how I feel. World On Fire first leaked and I loved most of it after first listen and it hasn't lost anything to me since. Shadow Life being my favourite on there. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

Exactly how I feel. World On Fire first leaked and I loved most of it after first listen and it hasn't lost anything to me since. Shadow Life being my favourite on there. 

I was very happy to hear Shadow Life at the WoF show I saw

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think Crucify The Dead is top notch for the insane solo alone. Watch This is also awesome and has this beautiful, extremely soulfully solo in the middle part of the song. Another monster is Nothing To Say which has grown on me a lot over the years. The one song I don't understand all the love for is Beautiful Dangerous. I heard the instrumental version and I liked it a million times more than the actual version with Fergie. Kind of disappointed that Slash put that song on the album at the expense of Mother Maria which is another first class song. I truly think Axl and Izzy would turn this immediately into a Guns classic. But Beth Hart did also a great job obviously.

Edited by Free Bird

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think Crucify The Dead is top notch for the insane solo alone. Watch This is also awesome and has this beautiful, extremely soulfully solo in the middle part of the song. Another monster is Nothing To Say which has grown on me a lot over the years. The one song I don't understand all the love for is Beautiful Dangerous. I heard the instrumental version and I liked it a million times more than the actual version with Fergie. Kind of disappointed that Slash put that song on the album at the expense of Mother Maria which is another first class song. I truly think Axl and Izzy would turn this immediately in a Guns classic. But Beth Hart's did also a great job.

I LOVED the self titled Slash solo album when it first came out but now it is at the bottom with Libertad for me. I dont dislike either, I just think the Conspirators records, Snakepit albums, and Contraband are wayyyyyy better. 

But yeah, that first Slash album didnt age well for me. I have good memories associated with it, though, and quite like By The Sword, Starlight, Back From Cali, Watch This, and Mother Maria

30 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I LOVED the self titled Slash solo album when it first came out but now it is at the bottom with Libertad for me. I dont dislike either, I just think the Conspirators records, Snakepit albums, and Contraband are wayyyyyy better. 

But yeah, that first Slash album didnt age well for me. I have good memories associated with it, though, and quite like By The Sword, Starlight, Back From Cali, Watch This, and Mother Maria

It's the case sometimes and sometimes it's the other way around. Snakepit II and Contraband had to grown on me over the years. It was like I haven't heard them for years after their release and suddenly they worked. I tried the same with Libertad but that album is still a turd :lol:

Edited by Free Bird

1. VR Contraband - aided by writing with talents like Scott, Duff & Matt leading to mega-hits like Slither/FTP/SMF and other great songs like loving the alien, ygnr, suckertrain & DIFTK

2. Slash-Slash: again aided by the writing of other mega-talents like Cornell, Ashtbury, Lemmy, Izzy- Gotten, By The Sword,  Ghost, Dr. Alibi, Starlight, Cali, Promise, Hold on, etc

3. Apocalyptic Love- for Anastasia alone

4. Libertad

5. Ain't life Grand

6. 5 o'clock 

7. WOF

Edited by Top-Hatted One